Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

8ight t 2.0 rtr vs. race roller

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

8ight t 2.0 rtr vs. race roller

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 03:35 PM
djzachtyler
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8ight t 2.0 rtr vs. race roller

Hey gys I am not new to RC, but Ihave been absolutely wanting an 8ight 2.0 for my first Truggy. as you can see from my signature I have a lot of different cars & Trucks from all classes, Love them all, but to be honest am wanting something better than all that that is truly a competitive vehicle. I just found on ebay a guy selling an 8ight t 2.0 RTR kit for about 60 bucks cheaper than list price, or my LHS and have bid on it. What are the main differences between the RTR and the roller kit? seems the RTR is a screaming deal with the DX3S and bump start box. granted I already have those things, and will end up selling them, but yeah, what are the differences besides having a motor and electronics, blah blah...

Old 06-17-2009, 04:40 AM
sparko
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 8ight t 2.0 rtr vs. race roller

I own the 2.0 race roller and after looking at the RTR truck on the website..

From what I can tell the only difference is the engine and electronics are included. I'd say aside from having less than great servos to keep the cost down, this is about as close as you're going to come to having something ready to race right out of the box.

I guess the pro/cons would be with the roller you install the servos and engine of your choice and use whatever RX/TX you would like. And most racers prefer that. But that being said if you want to start racing and don't have a lot of experience with that kind of stuff the RTR is the way to get to get started racing.

Since it appears you're far from new at the RC scene the race roller would probably be the best choice for you.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Chris_RC

There are tons more differences, here are only some: Chassis, plastic shock caps, shock towers, and some other small stuff.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:46 PM
McFly505

Those are the only differences, other than it comes out of the box with heavy duty diff cups.

I bought the roller in January, left it sit on the shelf in the box, while I debated on whether or not I even wanted to put it together....

Finally built it last week, went to the track and proceeded to have the absolute best day at the track I have ever had.
2 tanks of practice, 3 qual's, started 1st in the B, won the B (20 min race), bumped into the A and finished 7th (30 min race).
This was in a field of some SERIOUSLY fast drivers.

That's an hour and 40 minutes worth of runtime on a brand new truck, never driven it before and I hadn't been on the track since early January.

Nothing broke, bent, twisted, tweaked, etc.
The truck was flawless.
I didn't even check camber, ride height or anything else, just straight out of the box.

That speaks volumes to me.
I have owned several other trucks, (Jammin/BCE, Associated, Kyosho) and this truck feels better to me than anything I've ever owned or driven.

I bought the 8ight 2.0 RTR buggy for my son later that same evening.

Please don't mistake my comments as me being a new Losi fanboy.
These are just my initial impressions of the new 8T 2.0.

Don't be afraid of the RTR.
I say go for it.

Scott
Old 06-17-2009, 11:54 PM
losi101

I have been debating this roller & rtr thing for a couple of weeks now. I've been waiting on the Mugen 6T and I'm seriously thinking about jumping ship.90%of the racersat our track has. One racer bought a rc8t and a couple of weeks later bought a 2.0 roller because he was getting killed by 2.0's and he's one of the best racers at the track. Another great racer bought a xray and he's having trouble keeping up with the 2.0. Idon't want to take a chance on the new Mugen and still not becompetitive enough for the 2.0. I'm having trouble staying in front of guys I used to lap with my 5T because they all have 2.0 now.

Anyway back to the rtr thing. I've been debating whether or not to the buy the rtr because it's such a better value. I have my own electronics and motors so I could sell all that stuff and probably come out on top after changing a few things like the chassis and shock caps.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-18-2009, 02:01 PM
djzachtyler

I think you would be well off to do that,get the RTR that is you can find the black TFT chassis and shock towers on ebay dirt cheap, and I imagine gettin your hands on some aluminum shock caps wouln'dt be too difficult.I am already bidding on em. I just now got my RTR from the fed-ex guy, and am off to the lhs to buy a hump pack charger so I can get this thing broken in today hopefully.

thanks for the replies guys, but a little late Already made my choice.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Nesal

Hows the engine in teh RTR?
Old 06-18-2009, 05:20 PM
dominicevans

ORIGINAL: djzachtyler

I think you would be well off to do that,get the RTR that is you can find the black TFT chassis and shock towers on ebay dirt cheap, and I imagine gettin your hands on some aluminum shock caps wouln'dt be too difficult.I am already bidding on em. I just now got my RTR from the fed-ex guy, and am off to the lhs to buy a hump pack charger so I can get this thing broken in today hopefully.

thanks for the replies guys, but a little late Already made my choice.
unboxing pics or videos!!

Old 06-18-2009, 05:51 PM
djzachtyler

ORIGINAL: Nesal

Hows the engine in teh RTR?
so far... APAININTHE*****!!!! love it otherwise though, very solid build out of the box, byt that damn losi engine is making me wish I'd have waited to list the buggy I have with a new Axial .32, and just swapped the 2 out. Axial was a breeze to break in and tune, and statistically has more guts since it is an 8 Port race engine. Basically to even get it running I had to turn the HSN in 3 full turns and the LSN in 1/4 turn to get it to stop literally dumping gas out the pipe and stay running. finally got it to where it would run and idle steady and started doing a proper breakin running up and down the street at half throttle or less and was pleased to see temps staying below 200. 2nd breakin run, i was cuising at half throttle and it just died. bam dead. won't restart. glow plug is fine. can't figure it out. but I do know this much it is pissing me off big timke... I want to get through the break in today so it is ready to take on my camping trip this weekend. I was planning on running it with my Traxxas slayer, and maybe shooting some vids on my blackberry, but at this rate, not sure if the break in phase will be done.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:57 PM
djzachtyler

ORIGINAL: dominicevans
unboxing pics or videos!!
[/quote]

Sure here's a few...

when I first pulled it out had to do a side by side with my slayer just to see how they compared size wise, and they are about the same length. the 8ight has a wider stance by a little bit, and the oversized tires of course, but maks for an interesting comparison IMO.

I know the 8ight will eat the slayer off the line, but I bet the slayer has more top end since it is a 2 speed tranny.

I think the matching starter box is funny... is that so you don't turn around and sell it HAHAAA, but seriously my Duratrax universal strts the losi just fine and also my NTC3 on road car, so aside from the fact that I can just drop the losi on the losi box I dunno if that is a cool enough option to warrant keeping it. Although with the engine tuning difficulties I am having during the breakin process, I may just use the losi box since the chassis locks into it well.

out of the box the DX3S is already set up and the receiver binded to the radio, they even set up the RPM sensor to read MPH. which normally you have to figure out the wheel roll out, then do some math and figure out how to stuff a mouse before it works right. I already have a DX3S system for my other cars, and may just get rid of one radio, but on the other side it will be nice to have both so I can let my buddies run my slayer. ain't no one touching my 800.00 truck, LOL.

anyways, back to trying to get this thing broken in and see about keeping it runing...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80707.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1220648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64272.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	1220649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64888.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1220650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro42032.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1220651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68584.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1220652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59302.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1220653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75196.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1220654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32335.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1220655  

Old 06-18-2009, 07:06 PM
djzachtyler

ok, Iam just plain fed up with this engine. damn thing has a mind all of it's own. cannot get it to idle steady, and when I gradually lean it out, it will all of the sudden decide to WOT all on it's own. think it has a bunk carb.

I've broken in dozens ofnitro engines and NEVER had one so damn fussy as this one!

Called Losi support and explained the issues, they said to pull the engine and send it in. Horizon/Losi support is top notch for that at least, just sucks that I have to wait another week or so to run this bad boy...
Old 06-19-2009, 01:17 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That engine is an LRP Spec 3 twin and will be faster than an Axial 32.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:38 PM
djzachtyler

Ya I just found that out after doing the "homework" it too is also an 8 port race engine, and has wayyy better dyno stats. also being slightly smaller has a better top end. Guess I just got a bad one out of the box. You say LRPthough? Iwas under the impression it would be a Dynamite like the 427 interesting but good to know!

Pretty sure it was the carb tho. when trying to adjust the LSN on it there was some resistance either way I turned the LSN that felt alot like a bad or unseated seal. slight pressure on the LSN without turning it would get the idle steady, but as soon as there was no pressure and you gave it throttle, the idle would go high, then jump around at0% throttle.

all the more reason to just send it in for replacement rather than risk voiding the warranty. and that is the one upside to buying new! I don't have to tear the thing down. just have to wait another week or so to play with the new toy.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:54 PM
McFly505

It will be worth the wait.

Sux that you got a bad motor on yours, but I'm sure Losi will make it right.

I have nothing but good things to say about Losi/Horizon customer service.

Let us know how it works out.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:02 PM
djzachtyler

Oh, I am absolutely certain it will be great with them. their support is awesome, I had an xcelorin brushless ESC smoke out of the blue, and the replaced the motor and ESC by sending me a whole new combo in the box, which left me with 2 sets of software, 2 QPCs and 2 usb cables and interfaces. I am most certain that the engine and clutch will be replaced in a similar manner.