Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Could this be competitive?

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Could this be competitive?

Old 09-11-2009, 05:45 PM
chrismc3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could this be competitive?

Hey guys,
I'm brand new to the forum, but not new to the sport by any means. I'm just getting into the truggy scene and i did some trading (an old Traxxas nitro hawk for an Ofna Monster Pirate).

So far my plans are:
Ofna Monster Pirate/Dominator
Proline 3.7"Lpr bowties and 1/2" offset wheels
Hitec 7955TG steering 645MG throttle
Dynamite Mach 28 Big Red with 007 or 053 pipe
proline chevy silverado body

I'm just planning to do some occasional club racing. Track is built for 1/8th scale and is usually loose with large jumps. could this combination maybe hang with the other trucks on the track?

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2009, 06:33 PM
K_B

Default RE: Could this be competitive?

I'm gonna say "no". The Monster Pirate is an an old outdated design and it's discontinued. I'm not sure how much Dominator stuff is actually compatible, but the Dominator wouldn't be considered competitive either.

However, if you're just starting out, it doesn't matter so much because you're gonna be learning how to keep it between the pipes at first. No modern truggy can help with that. But once your skills improve, you'll want to get a proper race truggy if you want to be competitive.

I would use something other than the 645 for a throttle servo because it has a very slow transit time. Throttle response is gonna be horrible. Something faster with at least a .15sec transit speed would be better.

If you're in the ABQ area, check out www.arcorraceway.com, if you haven't already....
Old 09-11-2009, 08:36 PM
chrismc3

like i said though, im not new to the sport. ive raced stock and modified truck and 4wd buggy before. At any rate though, thanks for your opinion and i do see where the new truggies have made improvements. The monster pirate and dominators are essentially the same truck but with some small changes. ill look into a faster servo for throttle. is the engine and pipe choice good though? oh yeah im familiar with arcor. ive raced 2 tumbleweed classics there. great place!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:46 PM
K_B

That engine should move that truck fine. The 053 is a torque pipe if I'm not mistaken, which is really gonna make an already torquey motor more torquey. If the 007 is a high speed pipe, I'd go with that. I've raced with guys that have run the Mach and it does well against the race motors, but longevity may be an issue. Their motors were just about shot at the end of the season.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:01 PM
phattracker
My Feedback: (1)

experience you say? well, why ask the question? if you've raced bugg's, shouldn't you KNOW what'll be competetive? i'm just sayin
Old 09-12-2009, 06:51 PM
chrismc3

i didnt say anything about 1/8 or nitro my 4wd is a losi xxx4g+ ive never raced nitro before. thanks for your time though lol.