Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

duratrax truggy

Old 09-21-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default duratrax truggy

i jus got this truggy and i love it, i have had several buggys best one being a mugen prospec with a rb concepts motor and i like this thing way more but i jus read somewhere that they are not making the car or the parts any more is this true?hope not but if it is guess ill have to upgrade. i looked on the duratrax web site and they dont even have it on there any more.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:19 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: duratrax truggy

its not listed because they discontinued it earlier this year. Rumor has it that they are dicontinueing the buggy too. There azre plenty of parts out there and quite a few ofna parts are real close to the duratrax parts.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:36 PM

That would suck big time if they discontinue the buggy because the truggy and buggy have the exact came parts. That's what I've been using for replacement parts... haven't ventured off into other brand parts even though I'm sure you could find parts that fit. Also Superfly...check out the "official" thread and you might find some info there. for the money, these truggies rock. mine runs great, i just have to replace the clutch bearings and get it tuned better i think, but overall it's a great way to get into 1/8th racing. have fun.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:54 PM

actually, i think that as a " entry-level" truggy, the raze is a smoking deal!!!....i have had mine for about 6 months now, and it is my first venture into 1/8 scale (have had 5+ years of experience with 1/10 2wd truck and buggy, and t-maxx/revo), and i'm on the lookout for a good deal on a slightly used raze buggy, so i can have more options as far as race classes, and track time....

that being said, here's my .02 on the raze st

this thing has taken a beating that would have mortally wounded any of my previous rc's and came back fore more.......in spades!!!

no, it does not handle as crisp as a losi/mugen/associated(insetr other "big names" here), but for my level of skill with it, it is perfect

chassis:....fairly well laid out/easy to work on....lots of ofna hyper-7 parts will interchange....altho the stock shocks are kindof limited
motor: easy to tune, and so far hasnt given me any hint of premature failure, after about 3-1/2 gallons
tires/wheels: ehh....ok for bashing, but thats about it
grin factor vs. dollars spent.....AWESOME!!!

things that need addressed out of the box.............
depending on your style of driving, and how much you jump, go to 50, or even 60 wt shock oil...set preload to have the axles paralell with the ground. right now i have a set of odonell "big bore" shocks from a z-01t and i love em!!!

the stock sx 305 servo is kindof puny, even tho it is a bb/mg servo....currently i have it in my throttle, and use a futaba s305 for steering, but am fixing to go with a tower ts-170....hump pack for your electrics is a must!!! "AA"'s strangle your servo's

you REALLY need to clean out your diff's and re-fill w/ diff oil....try 7000 front, 10000 center, and 5000 rear to get you started, also, check your gear mesh on the difs and shim up ANY free play, they will last a lot longer

ditch the stock fuel lines and get some decent tubing on there....ym pressure line would blow off the pipe after the first quart of fuel

sway bars front and rear make a dramatic difference on reducing body roll in tight corners ....again, i am using the componente fron the z01-t, with one exception......use the odonell rear sway bar on both ends of the raze, it does help with the inside front tire lifting on power in tight corners

look into the ofna air filter assemblies as a replacement......bigger filter=more runtime in really dusty areas without choking the motor

the alloy chassis braces are a good upgrade for folks like me who "occasionally" lawn-dart a landing[:@]

as soon as you can, ditch the stock wheels/tires and get some std ofset truggy wheels, and 9mm extended hubs, or a 1/2" ofset wheel and tire combo....huge improvement over stock!!!

this is more of a personal preference, but i went to aluminum clutch shoes in mine, on the tracks i run around here, it makes it snappier off the bottom end of the powerband

whew!!!!!!!.......sorry for the war & peace sized post, but i think you are gonna enjoy the raze, i know i made it sound like a lot of wrenching, but all these mods will complement oneanother, and you will still be into this truggy for a lot less money than a lot of others out there........above all, have fun!!!!!!............i am!!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 PM

well if everything be comes to hard to get ahold of i think im gonna go with a mugen truggy
Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 AM

i really dont see the parts supply for these truggies, and buggies going away any time soon,.....yeah, maybee in a year or so, but not right away......

besides, you know how rumors tend to get fed on the internet!!!![>:]

i thing that even if dtx dropps the raze buggy, parts availability wont be a prob for a long time, besides, the only part that has actually "broke" on mine was a wing mounting support, and that was completely my fault!!( i landed a 6 foot jump entirely on the wing, nose of the trugg was pointing at about 2 oclock[X(])...........small bit of driver error there!!!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:12 AM

i landed pointing streight up and down and bent the chassis and the rear drive shaft..and the stearing servo broke b4 i got threw the 1st tank of gas.just woundering what elese is gonna break. lol
Old 09-22-2009, 01:13 PM

well, if this is the first tank on a new truggy, STOP!!!!!!.....you are thrashing on it too hard!!!!

also, how high of a jump was it???......if the rear dogbone bent, it must have been flying pretty high!!....this is where the aluminum chassis braces really make a difference...they dont let the chassis plate flex near as much as the stock ones...

if its not bent too badly, you can hammer the dogbone straight on a solid flat surface like a bench vise(i know, i know....let the flaming commence, i'm just a tight-wad).....btw, how did the steering servo break?? did it strip gears??(my stocker got extremely slow, like 10 seconds to go from full lock to lock, but it had a bad solder job on one of the potentiometer wires)

hang in there with it, i have cartwheeled mine at 30 + mph, and outside of some road rash on my body, nothing to show for it
Old 09-23-2009, 07:54 AM

the servo jus pooped out, but the jump was pretty high lol. i did just bend everything back everything works great.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:40 AM

good deal....my friend has a raze st that he bought as a roller, and i just got it up and running the other day, and it didnt dawn on me till last night that the rear chassis brace is GONE......got to looking at it, and i am in the process of fabbing up a rear brace using rod ends, and a turn buckle link, kindof like some ofna, and associated use......ill let you know how it works out, as this might be a cheaper alternative to the alloy braces from DTX
Old 09-23-2009, 08:14 PM

the braces are not the problem, its the bolt that hold the brace that broke witch lead to the chassis and drive shaft bending
Old 09-24-2009, 08:49 AM

yeah., i see what youre talking about.......chassis acted like a pair of side cutters and sheared the bolt in 2........[:@]

well, i had this happen once on my front brace when it was stock, but i chalked it up to the fact that the plastic brase wouldnt allow you to torque the screw tight enough to keep it from moving slightly within the hole......when i put my alloy braces on, i used a slightly longer screw, so after the screw is solid and tight in the brace, i put a 3mm locknut on the exposed threads to lock it down, and keep it from backing off....since then i havent had any probs with it shearing screws......definately dont want to put in a stainless screw tho....they are softer than the black oxide coated steel ones
Old 09-24-2009, 08:37 PM

ill tell ya what im checking out those losi eight-t rtr is there any bad reviews on them ?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:54 AM

the 8ight is a awesome combo,.....plus you get a starter box and spektrum.....i just have a hard time justifying dropping that much cash in one big wad like that......besides, im a "genetic gear head"....i like to turn wrenches, and mod stuff!!
Old 09-25-2009, 10:31 AM

Check out the Z-Car ZMXT-8 Truggy, its awesome!