Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

new to off road

Old 10-01-2009, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to off road

Hey, ive been looking at getting into 1/8 off road racing and was wondering wether i should get a truggy or buggy. ive been looking at the associated factory team rc8b or the rc8t. What do you guys think would be good for a newbie to off road to start off with? i want to get the kit not the rtr version. i have good part support at my lhs for associated so that is no problem.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:28 AM

Default RE: new to off road

ORIGINAL: camsquad47

Hey, ive been looking at getting into 1/8 off road racing and was wondering wether i should get a truggy or buggy. ive been looking at the associated factory team rc8b or the rc8t. What do you guys think would be good for a newbie to off road to start off with? i want to get the kit not the rtr version. i have good part support at my lhs for associated so that is no problem.
get a truggy if you're new
Old 10-02-2009, 09:40 AM

i dont see how ou cold go wrong with eather of those. Either one you get you will be happy.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: theRCreverend

Are they easier to drive?
<br type="_moz" />
Old 10-02-2009, 05:43 PM
My Feedback: (1)

MT = lots of body roll so lots of flipping/rolling around corners, jumps, etc. Handling isn't there but are the best for 30+ foot jumps because of long suspension travel. MT's break more often than truggies/buggies.
Truggy = my favorite as you get all the handling performance of a buggy but the offroadability of a MT.
Buggy = best for the track (or slight offroading) or paved surfaces.

Both those buggy/truggies listed are great btw!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:06 PM

What size motors do the truggies use for racing? Is it .21 like the buggy or is it bigger?
Old 10-02-2009, 09:35 PM

What size motors do the truggies use for racing? Is it .21 like the buggy or is it bigger?
You can definitely get away with a good race quality .21 if properly geared. Many folks run a .28, but they can be a handful and are overkill in most cases.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:42 AM

Most peaple use .21 in there truggies, it give the power you need and good run times.
theres also, the, orion .24, Trinity ExTech .24. that's also good for racing.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:13 AM

ORIGINAL: theRCreverend

Are they easier to drive?
<br type="_moz" />
I think they handle a lot better and are more forgiving. Both would be fine though.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:20 AM

is there a engine size limit for racing truggies, like buggies have a .21 limit, is it the same for truggies?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope.. 28's are OK.. 30's even..
Old 10-06-2009, 10:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any power advantage is outweighed by fuel consumption though. That's not to say that there aren't some .28s that are more efficient than some .21s.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was at a huge race all last weekend, and the five qualifiers were five minutes, and the 1/8 and 1/4 finals 15 minutes...

I.e., fuel consumption didn't mean jack...

Fuel consumption only really matters for races of like 10, 20, or 30 minutes, in which case most 21's can get ten minutes, where a 28 probably won't...

Or, for pros...

There was sponsored Asso driver at this race running a Nosram 30 in his RC8T in the qualis, and it was bonkers powerful....

Before this race, I wanted to buy an LRP Spec 3, but was swayed into spending more than a €110 more for an Orion 24.. No way the Orion is more powerful than the LRP, but yeah, it's more of a "race" motor, so you get better run-time BLA BLA BLA..

But with five minute qualifiers, who gives a shxx about run time??

The Orion was a total PIA to tune and is apparently now already dead after 20 tanks. So I'm out €300, but have a high-end "race" paperweight...

I went against my instinct in this case and got what I assumed was the "better" engine.

Wrong.