Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
 Gear mesh problem with Mugen MBX5-T, engine is too far forward? >

Gear mesh problem with Mugen MBX5-T, engine is too far forward?

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Gear mesh problem with Mugen MBX5-T, engine is too far forward?

Old 10-02-2009, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gear mesh problem with Mugen MBX5-T, engine is too far forward?

I have a Mugen MBX5-T with a Picco P3-28, and I am having some gear mesh, or better said "clutch bell position" issues. I can get the gear mesh set properly, however the spur/clutch bell teeth mating position is off. Basically, the engine sits too far forward, and the spur gear has a couple millimeters of the teeth not contacting the clutch bell, and the spur is very close to the bell itself. I am using a BCE chassis, and I dremel'd it a bit to move the motor mount back some, but it hardly helped. I also have to clutch bell shimmed as close to the flywheel as it can be without rubbing the flywheel pins. Anyway, the biggest problem about this is that it's starting to mess up the teeth on the clutch bell and spur gear. I cant seem to find a clutch bell that has the teeth machined right against the bell, which I think would almost solve my problem. Do Picco's just have a long crank and I would be better off to switch engines? Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it? And does anyone know of a company that makes an adjustable motor mount (allowing the engine to slide forward or backward) for the MBX5-T, or a motor mount that is adjustable from another vehicle that uses the same hole pattern that the chassis has? (I tried my OFNA ones and they don't work)

Anyway, thanks for any suggestions or help!
Old 10-02-2009, 05:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gear mesh problem with Mugen MBX5-T, engine is too far forward?

I have the EXACT same problem with my ST-1 truggy and JPX .28 engine but no one's given me any tips on here. Teeth barley mesh, but it's been fine for over 3 gallons so far. I'm also running the BCE chassis but it was the same issue with the stock frame as well... I have no idea how other people are getting around this as the engine must be longer than most. May have to greatly enlarge the engine holes to make a Picco fit properly.

I'm just running it as is as it seems to be fine, and apparently so is everyone else???

Eganwp
Old 10-05-2009, 09:12 AM

Interesting that a top of the line vehicle like that would have such a simple issue. Only option is to grind some material off so you can move the motor further back.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:16 PM
K_B

What about a shorter flywheel collet? That would move the whole flywheel back; just gotta make sure it doesn't rub the crankcase.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:03 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Not sure about Krawlin's, but I've removed all spacers, washers, etc and have the flywheel right up to the engine casing, thus a smaller collet wouldn't help as I can't gain anything more for spacing. Only way I can see it working is some custom made motor mounts or redrill the frame and risk the bolts always coming loose in the wide holes...
Old 10-07-2009, 09:08 AM

Hi there,

I've had this exact issue (3 destroyed clutchbells!) found the answer on another site - you can only use the Mugen Clutchnut - its smaller than normal nuts, moves the clutchbell backwards a few mm - job done !

Hope this helps

Neil
Old 10-07-2009, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have shortened a clutchnut using sandpaper !
Old 10-07-2009, 04:06 PM

"dito"
it's been way too loong since I ran either one of my nitros[&o]