Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
 8ight t 2.0 vs. mbx6t, which one?? >

8ight t 2.0 vs. mbx6t, which one??

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

8ight t 2.0 vs. mbx6t, which one??

Old 10-26-2009, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8ight t 2.0 vs. mbx6t, which one??

i've narrowed down my search to these 2 truggy rollers, my local hs carrys both & parts are availabe. Was wondering if i could get some output from some people both pros & cons on these 2 truggys. when i say cons i don't need some guy to tell me that he has a mugen & that losi is junk, i just wants the facts not the BS. thanks for you output!
Old 10-26-2009, 09:00 PM

Default RE: 8ight t 2.0 vs. mbx6t, which one??

The Mugen is junk, get Losi

But seriously?
Mugen has an awesome rep about having great quality, up there with X-Ray and Kyosho. I don't have either but if I were to have 1 it would be a Mugen.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:48 PM

I don't have either of those but I do have both the 8ight-t 1.0 and the MBX5T. The Mugen is the better machine, but both are good. It really depends on what you're doing with them. If you're going to race and you're a beginner to average driver then it won't make a difference IMO which you use. If you're highly competitive or just need to have the best then the MBX6T get's my vote. Not sure if you have parts support but the xray xt8 2009 is also one of the best.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Mugen all the way. I recently did my homework because I was buying a new truggy. It came down to the MBX6T and the Xray XT8. The quality of those 2 kits are far above anything else out there. I ended up getting the Xray because I found a good deal on it and don't regret it at all. The Mugen quality is on par with Xray and anyone who has messed with either of them will tell you the same. <div>The Losi is a good kit and it wins a lot, but the quality just can't compete. The plastic parts wear at a much faster rate and quickly become sloppy.</div>
Old 10-29-2009, 12:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the Mugen will have better quality, but the Losi possibly better value, and possibly faster.. Losi parts are simply everywhere too..

After watching some trugs really closely at a few recent races, I personally think the Mugen is too long, and that hinders agility.. A lot of people have Mugens, but nobody wins with them.. The Losis are more agile I think.. Frankly, the Mugens look like school buses going around tight corners compared to everything else.. I can see where the extra length would make them fly better and more stable on long, rough straights, etc.., but in the tight stuff they look clumsy to me.. Quality-wise yes, so actually maybe better for a bad-driving newb.. But again, show me the wins...

The only two truggies with breakage at the last 2-3 races I've been to were 8T 2.0's and Mugen MBX6T's...

Yes I'm biased because I have one, but I think the RC8T is right up there with them - one of the best handling trugs there is.. Tough too, and part availability is good.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I think the Mugen will have better quality, but the Losi possibly better value, and possibly faster.. Losi parts are simply everywhere too..

After watching some trugs really closely at a few recent races, I personally think the Mugen is too long, and that hingers agility.. A lot of people have Mugens, but nobody wins with them.. The Losis are more agile I think..

The only two truggies with breakage at the last 2-3 races I've been to were 8T 2.0's and Mugen MBX6T's...

Yes I'm biased because I have one, but I think the RC8T is right up there with them - one of the best handling trugs there is.. Tough too, and part availability is good.

I have driven both the 2.0 and the 6T...they are both the same length, and the Mugen actually has a tighter turning radius .... Setup and driver make all the difference.... but when talking machine capabilities the 6T is at the top of the food chain without question.....
Old 10-29-2009, 08:00 AM

I don't doubt they're awesome - one of the very best.. I just don't see or hear of anybody winning with them. There were a good 10-12 that started in this big international race here - all of which were owned by guys with a clue.. - all the top stuff - RB C6's, Ninjas, you name it.. And only ONE made it into the top 12 - (a chick!!.. ) I marshalled the whole weekend, and watched in my free time when I wasn't marshalling, racing, or wrenching.. - and the Mugens just didn't look fast.. I have some video somewhere of the fastest driver I've ever watched live - driving an RC8T.. Just crazy quick - especially in the tight stuff.. And RC8T's already handle on rails through the more open stuff...

Same deal with the XXL. I don't know why they made it longer, other than to just make it bigger for marketing purposes.. No way an XXL can outhandle an LST2..

There are also still a lot of very fast 8T 1.0's out there too btw...

I can't find the separate pics, but in this video at 1:40 you can see a busted Mugen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVb3u7tP3_o

I was marshalling when it happened - and the hit against the wall wasn't all that bad.. I believe they're tough, just not invincible or that much better - if at all - than say an RC8T or any of the other top brands..

This big race was won by the same dude btw as the year before - running an X-ray. Second year in a row too that by far the fastest German driver - driving Losi - fell out with breakage..
Old 10-29-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I don't doubt they're awesome - one of the very best.. I just don't see or hear of anybody winning with them. There were a good 10-12 that started in this big international race here - all of which were owned by guys with a clue.. - all the top stuff - RB C6's, Ninjas, you name it.. And only ONE made it into the top 12 - (a chick!!.. ) I marshalled the whole weekend, and watched in my free time when I wasn't marshalling, racing, or wrenching.. - and the Mugens just didn't look fast.. I have some video somewhere of the fastest driver I've ever watched live - driving an RC8T.. Just crazy quick - especially in the tight stuff.. And RC8T's already handle on rails through the more open stuff...

Same deal with the XXL. I don't know why they made it longer, other than to just make it bigger for marketing purposes.. No way an XXL can outhandle an LST2..

There are also still a lot of very fast 8T 1.0's out there too btw...

I can't find the separate pics, but in this video at 1:40 you can see a busted Mugen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVb3u7tP3_o

I was marshalling when it happened - and the hit against the wall wasn't all that bad.. I believe they're tough, just not invincible or that much better - if at all - than say an RC8T or any of the other top brands..

This big race was won by the same dude btw as the year before - running an X-ray. Second year in a row too that by far the fastest German driver - driving Losi - fell out with breakage..

I can respect what you seen....... However that track isn't even an offroad track ! that is soo alien to what we run on here in North America !

As for breakage, remember its like these Truggies have 9 lives, the hit that broke the machine may not too bad, but you don't know how many previous hits the part took before the accident that broke it..... sometimes when something breaks its the cumulative effects of many hits.....Mugens are tough as nails ! however so is the RC8T ( My boy Nitrofreakmanho has proven that one LOL !)

See we run on offroad tracks with huge air on dirt... The Mugen's strength is its wicked stability and in air manners...It stays planted when other machines get bucked, and its abilities in the air are second to none..... blast over some rough terrain with a Mugen and you will see what I mean....unfortunately I can't see how any of the Mugen's strengths would translate to a onroad race like your showing.... You have no jumps, no dirt and no rough terrain.....I wouldn't even call that an offroad track !
Old 10-29-2009, 10:40 PM

not trying to be an A** but i agree on road & off road is a total different story, the little film you you have of your on road is cool as HELL!! I"ve looked at the rc8t but parts aren't available too much around here. Im starting to closer at the mugen, I appreciate everyone's output. To be honest, kinda supprised I didn"t see the jerk on here to bash on everone!!! (YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!)any suggestions on a wicked 21 motor??
Old 10-29-2009, 10:47 PM

Losi's part support is better and the parts are cheaper....Imo its a no Brainer....Losi all the way.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:38 AM

Well if anything the fact that this race was on road doesn't exactly make Mugens look better - I mean, on the contrary.., as I said, I saw one break from a mild hit into the wall... I myself whacked that rear wall too... - along with everybody else all weekend..

But whatever.. Some day if I switch brands from Asso it will probably be to Mugen. I just need to move up the income ladder before that happens...

As for a wicked engine, there are just so many out there.. Best initial advice is to just go to www.amainhobbies.com and read through the feedback on the various engines, and see what appeals to you. There are a ton of good 21's to choose from.. If you've got an unlimited budget I'd get an OS Speed, if that's too steep, a JX Ninja, if that's too steep, get something modded from supertib...
Old 10-30-2009, 01:39 AM
K_B

I just recently switched from Losi to Mugen. Losi has good 1/8 stuff, but when you compare the two side by side, the Mugen just looks better built. Lots and lots of plastic on the Losi. And something as simple as a split center diff mount is an UPGRADE on the 8ight. And then they bombard you with all sorts of new wizbang doohickey stuff to get you to buy, buy, buy (And I did). Not to mention that Losi has long gone down the Traxxas road producing "toys". All sorts of stuff that appeals to newcomers that don't know any better.

Mugen, on the other hand, is strictly a racing outfit. They produce 3-4 cars, all 1/8 scale, all race kits, no RTRs. They spend their time refining their race cars rather than releasing a XXLST2 2.5 Pro RTR with R.O.S.S. or whatever.

If the amount of cars out on the track were based on quality rather than marketing budget, I think you'd see quite a few more Mugens (and X-rays for that matter).
Old 10-30-2009, 08:46 AM

a BIG LOL.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:09 PM

I don't know what or how many other RCs you have, but something to consider is tools. All my RCs are metric, but I needed to find some SAE tools for my Losi 8T 1.0. Not a big deal really, but I personally would rather have just a single set of tools.
Also, based on the 1.0, I find some of the designs of parts to be overly complicated requiring more parts than necessary to make a strong or well-performing piece. And the compliance of parts not to be as nice as other RCs I have. None of these are deal-breaker issues, but things to consider with the Losi. I would've actually preferred a MBX5T when I bought my 8T 1.0, but I got the 8T for a much better price than I ever found for a Mugen. For me though, a con for the Mugen is there's no local parts support for them around me. I can order online though.
I also like the Tamiya 801XT as another option in the high-end truggy category. With my budget though, if I were to pick up a new 1/8 truggy, I'd probably just get a D8T because they're so much lower costs while still being competitive.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: bhcvc

I don't know what or how many other RCs you have, but something to consider is tools. All my RCs are metric, but I needed to find some SAE tools for my Losi 8T 1.0. Not a big deal really, but I personally would rather have just a single set of tools.
Also, based on the 1.0, I find some of the designs of parts to be overly complicated requiring more parts than necessary to make a strong or well-performing piece. And the compliance of parts not to be as nice as other RCs I have. None of these are deal-breaker issues, but things to consider with the Losi. I would've actually preferred a MBX5T when I bought my 8T 1.0, but I got the 8T for a much better price than I ever found for a Mugen. For me though, a con for the Mugen is there's no local parts support for them around me. I can order online though.
I also like the Tamiya 801XT as another option in the high-end truggy category. With my budget though, if I were to pick up a new 1/8 truggy, I'd probably just get a D8T because they're so much lower costs while still being competitive.

overcomplicated....like what may i ask ?

Old 10-30-2009, 04:56 PM

Just simple things like the shock posts...there's a threaded post, with a nut on one side to hold it in, and a nut on the other side. That required more tools to change positions. And the tolerance between the post itself and the hole in the shock tower was too close that it's almost a press-fit operation to move the post in and out of the shock tower holes. The compliance/tolerance I don't think is an issue on all, but on mine it is. One of the diffs (I don't recall which one) was also more difficult to assemble because of those plastic pieces that have to be aligned just right to fit into the groove...I haven't taken apart my 1.0 in a while, so I don't recall everything, but again, took longer and more processes than to take apart or reassemble my other vehicles.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:55 PM

those are Very minor thing's to say the least....the Shock stand off's having the larger nut on the inside is an extremely handy thing to have...the standoff's "key" into the tower which enables a simple turn of a wrench or even a small adjustable wrench would work just fine....changing position's is a matter of seconds per shock.....tolerance's on the alum tower's are perfect...they mfg million's of them and Rarely if ever will the mill screw up and not drill a hole to the proper size.......the Keyed diff insert's are there to enable the reverse Ring gear which is a losi only thing as far as i know...but to call that overcomplicated is not proper....just because you are used to the standard diff we've had in 1/8 for the last 5-10 year's you think its overcomplicated....Look at the racing results of the losi VS any other brand....Yes they have the top driver's....but there's a reason there so fast...part of it IS the car like it or not.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:22 PM

i have a mugen mbx6t for sale all put together with servos , engine and pipe never seen the dirt yet, let me know if anybody is interested looking to get $900 for everything, has jr high volt servos and picco p7r evo3 engine