Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

MBX6T or HB D8T?

Old 11-16-2009, 01:32 AM
(MRC) Scotty!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MBX6T or HB D8T?

I am in the market for a new truggy and have narrowed it down to these two.. I have had a Jammin X-1 for the last 3 years. I bashed it with one race on it the first 2 years, and this last year I decided to race it exclusively. After some tuning tips and lack of knowledge I got to where I could drive to the limit of the truck.. So Time for a new one..

I am down to the Hot Bodies D8T or the Mugen MBX6T.. I have driven the Mugen, and 3 guys at our track have them, and luv them.. Unfortunately no one at our track has a HB, so it is hard to compare head to head for me. SO I ask you guys and gals..

If you have one or the other or both, and have driven the other then please post up the pros and cons of each machine and keep it civil please..

If you haven't driven the other then give me the strong points and weak points of the one you have.. If you can't give me a weak point then I know you're not being honest.. Cause I've done some home work, and just want to see what the everyone here has to say..

Thanks in advance..
Old 11-16-2009, 03:28 PM
chaserogesr14

Default RE: MBX6T or HB D8T?

im in a jam with these trucks too. mugen - i currently run the mbx5t prospec and havent had problems with it except for a few breaks. Ive notice my 5t and a 6t break front arms. It did take really hard hits to do this though. Ive only seen a few d8t and none seems to have problems with them except for parts support around here
Old 11-16-2009, 04:55 PM
K_B

This would be a classic case of "you get what you pay for" I think. There is a pretty big price difference between Mugen and Hot Bodies. We have a local guy who ran HB last season and switched to Mugen for next season. He can't stop talking about how much better the fit-n-finish is on the Mugen. I've got both the 6 and 6T and I'm certainly impressed with the attention to the little things. Right down to the o-ring around the wire opening in the radio box.

As far as the D8T goes, it would seem you HAVE to cut some corners somewhere to be able to sell a truggy at just over $300.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:00 PM
driller2948

Isn't D8T made by LOSI? I read in another post Hot Bodies was owned by one of the major manufactures and may be a lower line product? I'll see if I can find it.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:10 PM
blackrain

mugen is my truggy of choice you cant go wrong with a mugen and they have the history to backup how great there buggys and truggys are
Old 11-16-2009, 05:14 PM
K_B

ORIGINAL: driller2948

Isn't D8T made by LOSI? I read in another post Hot Bodies was owned by one of the major manufactures and may be a lower line product? I'll see if I can find it.
Hot Bodies is a division of HPI...
Old 11-16-2009, 05:19 PM
driller2948

There we go. HPI I knew it just had the manufacture. Thanks

I agree with both K B and blackrain = u getz whatz u payz 4!

Go 6T
Old 11-16-2009, 07:04 PM
(MRC) Scotty!

ORIGINAL: driller2948

It is owned by HPI
Old 11-16-2009, 07:06 PM
(MRC) Scotty!

Any of guys have actual experience with both?

The one guy that switched to Mugen was he running the D8T or the older Lightning?

thanks for the responces, but I'm still not convinced the Mugen is that much better for the money..
Old 11-16-2009, 07:10 PM
driller2948

You'll get your the responses just give it a lillte time.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:29 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The "you get what you pay for" line is on shaky ground in RC IMO. I've found out the hard way that a more expensive Italian engine isn't necessarily better than a cheap Mach 427. I've found this out twice btw. I've given up on Italian engines at this point, and will continue to swear by SH-based engines - LRP, Mach, SH, etc.. NO engine is worth twice the price of a Mach, unless you're running with the pros - in which case you get your engines for free anyway..

As for the truggies, I can't really say. You hear all over the internet how great Mugens are. But I've never seen them win anything, and at the last big international race I went to, the Mugen was one of the few trucks I saw that broke - hitting the wall at the end of the straight into the curve - just like almost everybody did.. IMHO the Mugen looks too long - at least for the short, tight tracks I (unfortunately..) run on.. It looks clumsy through tight corners IMO compared to say an RC8T, ST-RR, XT8, Losi, etc..

I also think you have to learn to take everything you hear online with a grain of salt. Everybody has such different priorities, budgets, tastes, goals, etc.. If I were in the market for a new truggy, and it had to be between these two, I would probably get the Mugen. But then I don't expect to win the big races - I just want a platform that will be robust and last - maybe for 2-3 years, maybe even ending up as a basher, who knows... The Hot Bodies is kind of rare - not too many out there.. Supposed to be good and agile - looks good on the track.. Question would be part quality - how fast would it develop slop? I'm sure it's a great racer though, so if that's what you want, just get it.. Pretty sure it belongs in the top class of truggies, and none of these truggies are THAT much better than the others... - Asso, Losi, Mugen, Kyosho, HB, X-ray, etc.. What sets any of them apart on the track is setup and driving skill.. - not brand name..

In any case, you can argue that Mugen is better - because it's tough, part quality is better, develops less slop, parts are easier to come by, whatever... But "cuz it's more expensive" is not an argument...
Old 11-17-2009, 03:08 AM
nitroexpress

If anyone believes that you always get what you pay for, then they should run only Kyosho. Not a bad product, but probably the most overpriced vehicle on the market.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:36 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

The ''you get what you pay for'' line is on shaky ground in RC IMO. I've found out the hard way that a more expensive Italian engine isn't necessarily better than a cheap Mach 427. I've found this out twice btw. I've given up on Italian engines at this point, and will continue to swear by SH-based engines - LRP, Mach, SH, etc.. NO engine is worth twice the price of a Mach, unless you're running with the pros - in which case you get your engines for free anyway..

As for the truggies, I can't really say. You hear all over the internet how great Mugens are. But I've never seen them win anything, and at the last big international race I went to, the Mugen was one of the few trucks I saw that broke - hitting the wall at the end of the straight into the curve - just like almost everybody did.. IMHO the Mugen looks too long - at least for the short, tight tracks I (unfortunately..) run on.. It looks clumsy through tight corners IMO compared to say an RC8T, ST-RR, XT8, Losi, etc..

I also think you have to learn to take everything you hear online with a grain of salt. Everybody has such different priorities, budgets, tastes, goals, etc.. If I were in the market for a new truggy, and it had to be between these two, I would probably get the Mugen. But then I don't expect to win the big races - I just want a platform that will be robust and last - maybe for 2-3 years, maybe even ending up as a basher, who knows... The Hot Bodies is kind of rare - not too many out there.. Supposed to be good and agile - looks good on the track.. Question would be part quality - how fast would it develop slop? I'm sure it's a great racer though, so if that's what you want, just get it.. Pretty sure it belongs in the top class of truggies, and none of these truggies are THAT much better than the others... - Asso, Losi, Mugen, Kyosho, HB, X-ray, etc.. What sets any of them apart on the track is setup and driving skill.. - not brand name..

In any case, you can argue that Mugen is better - because it's tough, part quality is better, develops less slop, parts are easier to come by, whatever... But ''cuz it's more expensive'' is not an argument...

I think your reading way too much into that goofy onroad race dude..... watch the Mugens on a real offroad track and then your going to see things very differently ! to assume the Mugen is not capable of winning a big race is just plain silliness...... ! just like saying a mach is as good as a italian race engine... sorry dude but a JPX 21 will chew the paint off a Mach, tune easier and all around kick its ass.....

Now this season we ran a MBX6B and a D8 , 2 brothers....... they both perform about the same, awesome handling cars....... But the D8 now has way more wear in the drivetrain, the Mugen shows zero wear.... thru the season the D8 kept breaking the rear and front bulkheeads, if you took a hit upside down the shock towers would tear out of the bulkheads, this happened about 6 times, as well the front knuckles are also prone to breaking easy, we broke the same knuckle 2 times already...... So running side by side on the same conditions the HB broke much more then the Mugen did, it also is now showing much more wear on the drivetrain, as well its plastics have way more slop then the Mugen does.............. Dollar dollar the D8 offers amazing performance, but its durability and longevity do not match the Mugen....

here is a video of a Mugen 6T with a proper setup and driver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wktj793N5eE

And from first hand experience with 2 6T's I can say they are as tough as nails...definitely the most durable of the modern machines......
Old 11-17-2009, 01:57 PM
chaserogesr14

i can say ive seen the 6ts win. in the rc prorace we had up here awhile back a guy had one in pro truggy and killed the comp.(pro odonnell guys). but he is a local and came to my track and beat everyone out there too
Old 11-17-2009, 02:27 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: chaserogesr14

i can say ive seen the 6ts win. in the rc prorace we had up here awhile back a guy had one in pro truggy and killed the comp.(pro odonnell guys). but he is a local and came to my track and beat everyone out there too

I have driven all the different machines and I feel strongly that they all perform pretty much the same... setup and driver matter much more then brand of machine.... Some brands seem to be a little tougher then other brands, but they are all very close..Even if a brand snaps the odd plastic its no big deal as these Truggies are very easy to fix, and plastic parts aren't expensive.......
Old 11-17-2009, 04:00 PM
HerrSavage

That on-road race was one of dozens this year in Germany..

Here's a short clip of an RC8T on a track (unfortunately..) far away from me:

http://www.savys.de/rcblog/?p=2209

Mugens don't win there either.. I don't know - maybe it's just cuz they don't sponsor the good racers other companies do..

And besides, breaking during an onroad race doesn't exactly bode well for a big jump off-road race..

But whatever, it may well have been a freak accident.. They did look clumsy through the tight stuff though.. I believe Mugens are tough, and would try one if I were looking for a new trug.. - I'd especially like to have their buggy and truggy together - like I do the Assos now.. But I don't believe they'll be more agile or even tougher than an RC8T for ex... Winning races is about setup anyway.. Somebody with far more patience than I to dick around with diffs and shocks and steering geometry between every heat will beat me with an ST-1. I couldn't care less.. I'm not that into wrenching - that's part of why I'm giving up racing.. For those who like wrenching, good on ya.. Have fun.. For me the fun is in fun racing on the track and bashing my MT's.. Don't really care what anybody else thinks about that. To each his own..

As for Mach 427's, I couldn't care less what is or isn't faster or better for you or anyone else. I know what works for me, my budget, my patience level (and my fuel..) And for me the Mach is a perfect engine.. Gonna break in a new one today in my racer LST2..
Old 11-17-2009, 05:53 PM
(MRC) Scotty!

I appreciate the info, but didn't want to start a flame war..

Herr Your right Mugen doesn't seem to finish that great, because they don't pay for the top drivers.. But for the Club racer they are hard to beat..

but I have this feeling that the HB D8T is gonna be very similar to that.. Almost made up my mind ot get the HB.. Keep the info coming guys. And please try to stay away from flamin...
Old 11-17-2009, 06:59 PM
romax

I have only seen 1 d8t at the local track. I didn't get a chance to talk to the guy but he raced it 2 times then put it on the local forum for sale for $200.00. That doesn't say too much about the truggy to me. It kinda looked heavy & sluggish when he was driving it. (kinda like driving a brick LOL) He was a good driver & didn't crash much so i couldn't comment on the durability. The mugen is a great performer, it's both agile & very stable , plus way durable. I'm not one of those you get what you pay for kind of guys but i believe in this case the mugen is a much better truggy. I drive a jammin x2 so i don't have the brand loyalty thing going on, just thought i'd share my observations. Good luck w/ your decision. Let us know what you get then give us a build/ race report.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:23 AM
(MRC) Scotty!

anyone else got ant input on this?? I'm gonna get a D8T unless someone can convense me I am making a really bad decision.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:56 AM
HerrSavage

What would each cost you again, and what's the deal with parts support?
Old 11-21-2009, 05:36 AM
(MRC) Scotty!

Parts support isn't a problem, cause there isn't a hobby store where I live anyway, so i will have to order no matter what.. So it comes down to price for me.. and HB is cheaper all the way around..
Old 11-21-2009, 06:01 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: (MRC) Scotty!

Parts support isn't a problem, cause there isn't a hobby store where I live anyway, so i will have to order no matter what.. So it comes down to price for me.. and HB is cheaper all the way around..

But the HB is going to break more and because of the accelerated wear on the drietrain guys are installing Mugen or Kyosho drivetrains.....
Old 11-21-2009, 10:20 AM
nitroexpress

The HB will break more? And you know this how? BTW, the Uni front driveshaft replacement is within pennies of the stock shaft. Since a Uni is always better than a CVD, it's a no brainer (even for a Mugen). And the $200 saved with the HB kit will buy a lot of CNC that the Mugen doesn't have. In the end, the average driver will still be average, no matter what brand they drive. Have fun, burn nitro.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:25 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: nitroexpress

The HB will break more? And you know this how? BTW, the Uni front driveshaft replacement is the same price as the stock shaft. Since a Uni is always better than a CVD, it's a no brainer (even for a Mugen). And the $200 saved with the HB kit will buy a lot of CNC that the Mugen doesn't have. In the end, the average driver will still be average, no matter what brand they drive. Have fun, burn nitro.

You bet the D8's break more, they also wear out alot faster... We ran a D8 side by side with a MBX6 this season and its very definite the D8 breaks more and wears faster...Now the D8 is still a dam good machine it performs every bit as good as the Mugen does....... Just for the extra dollar you do get a more solid machine with the Mugen......to some the extra durability may be worth the extra $$ to some it may not be.....
Old 11-21-2009, 10:49 AM
HerrSavage

What exactly is the price difference?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.