Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

electric truggy for $600?

Old 12-05-2009, 10:53 AM
paynezoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric truggy for $600?

Hey guys, i have been posting in the buggy section lately but i was wonder if there was any electric truggy for under 600 bucks.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:49 PM
vnmsgt

Default RE: electric truggy for $600?

Caster Racing F8T PRO KIT, Race roller or RTR.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Hoese37

Associated RC8TE is only like 350, add servos, batteries and BL setup. right around $600 if you shop wisely.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:59 PM
paynezoo

With the rc8t its $350 plus a MMM is $350 and thats allready 700 bucks
Old 12-06-2009, 07:49 PM
bhcvc

If you want something that's already electric, there' aren't many options. The Caster F8T and AE RC8Te are the only electric truggies I know of. If you don't mind building something yourself via a conversion, you have a alot more options. The Caster F8T RTR is probably the easiest route. $525 shipped with everything to get it running from holeshot...that's almost impossible to beat.
A MMM isn't $350...they can be had for $270 if you search around. But you don't NEED an MMM. If you don't mind used, you can find a used Losi 8T or Mugen MBX5T and get a conversion kit (Tekno kit is the nicest IMO...very complete and placement is well thought out). You can build up a nice setup with a 2.4GHz TX/RX for $600. If you need an MMM, I don't think you can get the BL setup, servo, and TX/RX for under $600 with a new truggy to convert.
If you're interested, I'm selling my Losi 8T 1.0 with a Tekno conversion on it that has 1 run (didn't even discharge the pack). The Tekno elektri-clutch is still brand new, as are several parts that I picked up (front and rear center diff bulkheads, center top plate, spur gear, etc.). The electronics I have on it aren't included (need those), but you get the 8T 1.0, stock chassis, a ton of spare parts, a body that's in fine condition, and a virtually new Tekno kit. PM me if you're interested.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:05 AM
hakmazter

The Caster is a significantly better value for the dollar compared to the name brands. Holeshot hobbies is a reputable place to buy from also.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:59 PM
paynezoo

bhcvc, i know i dont need the MMM but it would just be easier for me because it is at my LHS. But if i did pick up a used 8t got a conversion kit, and servos, tx & rx, and motor/esc. What would be a nice motor esc, transmitter and servos i could use for 600. How much normally are used 8t'normally?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Wild YFZ 450

ORIGINAL: paynezoo

bhcvc, i know i dont need the MMM but it would just be easier for me because it is at my LHS. But if i did pick up a used 8t got a conversion kit, and servos, tx & rx, and motor/esc. What would be a nice motor esc, transmitter and servos i could use for 600. How much normally are used 8t'normally?
I picked up my MMM combo for 240 shipped. shop wisely and you can easily get a good electric truggy under 600. Also stay away from non main-stream brands such as caster, Will just give you a bigger headache in the end with the electronics and quality.
A 8t roller usually will go for 200 bucks. If you look on RC-tech you can sometimes even find them with an Electric conversion kit already installed. I have recently seen a few.
8t - 200
MMM combo-200
battery - 80
Servo - 40-80 ( Depends if you buy new/used and which one.)

So that there leaves you about 40-80 bucks on a Transmitter or just a receiver if you need one.
I just recently put together a 8ight buggy for around 300, running a MMM combo on 5s.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:54 PM
hakmazter

Yep, you are right, why on earth would you want to support a company in Iowa. Especially one who is making better products than the big brands at this point. We are growing, we have great customer service, and we try our best.

Actually I would challenge you to do this.

Go into your lhs and pick a brand, any brand...Mugen, Losi, Xray, etc... and look around. If you see several replacement parts for it (as in every part available) then buy that one. Otherwise, if you break a part, they are going to have to order a part for you from Horizon or HRP or whomever. Where is the convenience in that? You are waiting for shipping anyways and paying for shipping and markup. I am certainly NOT saying do not support your LHS, but for someone to accuse us of being a headache is untrue and irresponsible. We are NOT in the same category as the lower price entry level stuff by any means and we are not a here today, gone tomorrow company.

As vnmsgt mentioned, there are 3 versions available. If you do not like the hobbywing rtr stuff (new product is great, same as speedpassion) then buy a pro kit or a f8t roller and get your own electronics. But yes, the first batch of fusion buggies had issues with the escs and motors and guess what. I warranteed all of them personally when there is normally no warranty on anything in rc.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Wild YFZ 450

ORIGINAL: hakmazter

Yep, you are right, why on earth would you want to support a company in Iowa. Especially one who is making better products than the big brands at this point. We are growing, we have great customer service, and we try our best.

Actually I would challenge you to do this.

Go into your lhs and pick a brand, any brand...Mugen, Losi, Xray, etc... and look around. If you see several replacement parts for it (as in every part available) then buy that one. Otherwise, if you break a part, they are going to have to order a part for you from Horizon or HRP or whomever. Where is the convenience in that? You are waiting for shipping anyways and paying for shipping and markup. I am certainly NOT saying do not support your LHS, but for someone to accuse us of being a headache is untrue and irresponsible. We are NOT in the same category as the lower price entry level stuff by any means and we are not a here today, gone tomorrow company.

As vnmsgt mentioned, there are 3 versions available. If you do not like the hobbywing rtr stuff (new product is great, same as speedpassion) then buy a pro kit or a f8t roller and get your own electronics. But yes, the first batch of fusion buggies had issues with the escs and motors and guess what. I warranteed all of them personally when there is normally no warranty on anything in rc.

Do you honestly think you are making better products than Mugen and Xray? Come on... I understand you are trying your best and wish luck to your company to go far, Just don't come in every thread and just promote your lines like crazy.

Well I work at my LHS so I understand the whole parts battle, I rarely break anything on my losi's and if I do my LHS USUALLY has the part, Not 100% of the time though.

Hobbywing is a great way to get started but it isn't to the quality of Castle or Tekin, I am a huge castle fan but I also have tekin and I have to say tekin is above castle in quality IMO. I own both systems. Additionally there is warranties on any electronics from either castle or tekin, any slight problem and they will help completely.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:25 AM
INTEGRA

I warranteed all of them personally when there is normally no warranty on anything in rc.

Since when ?
Old 12-26-2009, 10:57 PM
GravityJunkie

I personally will never buy a Caster because they like to come on the boards and spam away. If the product is so superior, there should be no need for this.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:07 AM
hakmazter

OK, sounds fair, I'll personally quit as you say spamming, but as a small company, it works for us and since we have our own forums, most of our customers do not come over here. I only want people to look and make their own decisions and give them an additional option that they might have not known.

You work at a lhs and wish me the best? Why not pick us up? Maybe we need to talk outside of here on that topic. I want more hobby stores on board and we are growing and more hobby stores are picking us up. We have a distributor in your area now. Maybe you would want to talk to him?

The rtr does come with hobbywing stuff and I agree 100%

I am friends with Jim and Randy. I can give you their cell numbers if you want. I do not know Patrick personally, but he is a state over from me. I have my team guys run both brands and we do have a deal set up with Tekin. I am actually considering putting their systems in our cars, but it will raise the price alot.

Yes, those 2 companies do warranty electronics. A lot of the others do not such as servos, receivers, etc...

Now for the final question. Yes, I do think my products are now better than Mugen, but not xray.

1.) I have better plastic if the weather is above 50 degrees.

2.) I am running all Mugen driveline in all of the 1/8 cars so it is not necessarily better, but it isn't worse.

3.) No one has ever said that a Caster handled worse than a Mugen, always that it handled better.

4.) Since we do not have the reputation yet, our prices are lower, therefore a better value for the consumer.

So, yes (and I can't believe I am saying this considering where we were 2 years ago) I do think it is better in 2010.

I have been all over the forums over the past 2 years saying our goal was to become an xray.

There is no "they" for spamming. I am hakmazter everywhere and I am the only person in the company that uses rc forums.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:13 AM
INTEGRA

Yes, those 2 companies do warranty electronics. A lot of the others do not such as servos, receivers, etc...

1.) I have better plastic if the weather is above 50 degrees.

who wont warranty their product ?

above 50 only....what happens below 50
Old 01-09-2010, 05:06 PM
hakmazter

Our plastic is a different compound than Mugens. Mugen is stronger when it is cold because they use less fiber. Ours gets more brittle as the temperature gets colder, but when it is 60 or above (most real racing temps) ours usually wins in the collision battle.

To be honest, some of our customers buy Mugen plastic parts for winter racing and some Mugen customers from Florida and Texas and other southern states buy our plastic parts because they are cheaper and stronger in their environment.

We also have new lower arms that have less fiber in them that we have been testing. They are the JR-0131 and they seem to take care of the problem as they are much closer to RPM plastic. However, the last thing I want to do is have to carry 2 different sets of plastic. But since we switched to the new plastic compound, it is 1000 times better than the original plastic.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:41 PM
INTEGRA

Our plastic is a different compound than Mugens. Mugen is stronger when it is cold because they use less fiber. Ours gets more brittle as the temperature gets colder, but when it is 60 or above (most real racing temps) ours usually wins in the collision battle.

To be honest, some of our customers buy Mugen plastic parts for winter racing and some Mugen customers from Florida and Texas and other southern states buy our plastic parts because they are cheaper and stronger in their environment.

We also have new lower arms that have less fiber in them that we have been testing. They are the JR-0131 and they seem to take care of the problem as they are much closer to RPM plastic. However, the last thing I want to do is have to carry 2 different sets of plastic. But since we switched to the new plastic compound, it is 1000 times better than the original plastic.

VERY interesting. [8D]
Old 01-09-2010, 06:10 PM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Wild YFZ 450

Hobbywing is a great way to get started but it isn't to the quality of Castle or Tekin, I am a huge castle fan but I also have tekin and I have to say tekin is above castle in quality IMO. I own both systems. Additionally there is warranties on any electronics from either castle or tekin, any slight problem and they will help completely.
[/quote]

I believe the new hw stuff might be better

http://www.hobbywing.com/english/Art...?ArticleID=458

They all havea place in the buisness but I do believe the newer hw stuff is right up there with rest of companies.

Just because the all mighty ROAR doesnt approve does not mean you cant win with it.

my 2 cents.

I like the caster buggy by the way
Old 01-09-2010, 10:07 PM
bhcvc

I won't say HW is better than Tekin or Castle, but I will say they are on par. HW as a brand has been unknown until recently (only been known in the past year and a half or so), but they were making ESCs for other US brands prior to then. The SP systems get rave reviews on their smoothness and those are just rebadged HW ESCs. The only area that I see HW is clearly inferior in compared to CC and Tekin is domestic customer service. If they can set up a US master distributor, that will be resolved as all issues would be handle domestically. But I contacted them before about that and they don't seem to want to go that route...they want the individual retailers, but that makes it costlier for the retailers to import their products and individual retailers don't want to invest into the customer support needed for complex electronics.

As for Caster, I like them fine. I really want a F8T, but I can't get one until I sell my Tekno Losi 8ight-T. If anyone wants it, let me know...or if hakmazter can help me sell it, I'll definitely pick up an F8T!
Old 01-10-2010, 12:25 AM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

I didnt mean to imply the HW was better because the tekin is tought beat. But is expensive to buy as well.

I do believe that for price vs performance there is nothing better. Like you said the newer versions I believe are on par with everthing else out there just about 1/2 the price.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:34 AM
INTEGRA

Until some one come's out with A duo sensored/sensorless set-up like tekin has....NO ONE will be On part with them.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:31 AM
hakmazter

Integra, I know that the hobbywing can do both sensored and sensorless.

As a side note, I have known Jim ad Randy at Tekin for quite some time. I highly recommend using their products if you have the money, just like I recommend maxamps. But for those who do not have unlimited budgets, Ace and hobbywing are alternatives.

I should mention that we have been talking about putting Tekin systems in our cars in the US market. Just not sure if the name recognition would be worth the extra cost. But, boy would the name recognition be worth it in my mind.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:38 AM
INTEGRA

Integra, I know that the hobbywing can do both sensored and sensorless.

As a side note, I have known Jim ad Randy at Tekin for quite some time. I highly recommend using their products if you have the money, just like I recommend maxamps. But for those who do not have unlimited budgets, Ace and hobbywing are alternatives.

I should mention that we have been talking about putting Tekin systems in our cars in the US market. Just not sure if the name recognition would be worth the extra cost. But, boy would the name recognition be worth it in my mind.

Do it Do it Do it....the name is MORE then worth the extra cost if you ask me.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:18 AM
hakmazter

Integra, so do you think we would be better off having them in the rtr or making a pro rtr kit? The reason I ask is that in the US, we sell mostly pro kits, but anywhere else on the planet, rtrs are where it is at. Just wondering as a potential customer, what your thought process would be. Or maybe just do a drop down box where the customer chooses Hobbywing for a price or Tekin for a different price?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:03 AM
INTEGRA

Integra, so do you think we would be better off having them in the rtr or making a pro rtr kit? The reason I ask is that in the US, we sell mostly pro kits, but anywhere else on the planet, rtrs are where it is at. Just wondering as a potential customer, what your thought process would be. Or maybe just do a drop down box where the customer chooses Hobbywing for a price or Tekin for a different price?

the drop down box would work im sure....I know a lot of guys would prefer a name brand Big Dog ESC VS Hobbywing....if the price is right im sure it'll be a good move.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:39 AM
hakmazter

Jim is busy being out of town right now, but we are talking as we speak. I can't wait til he gets back next week so I can get undivided attention.