Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
 Cheap truggy for bashing around? >

Cheap truggy for bashing around?

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Cheap truggy for bashing around?

Old 03-08-2010, 08:37 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap truggy for bashing around?

I've been out the rc world for about a year and I'm looking to get back in. I'm looking for nitro, and a monster truck doesn't appeal to me so that leaves either a buggy or a truggy. I like the increased size of truggies and the ground clearance - it seems buggies are more track cars by nature. I don't really know where to look past that, so any pointers would be appreciated. I'm looking to spend around $300 to $350 for the truck if possible. After looking around some, it seems like that's pretty low for a truggy, but I'm on a pretty tight budget here. My top priorities for the truck is durability and reliability. I don't know what brands are good/bad in the truggy market so any and all suggestions are appreciated.

EDIT: Or am I wrong in saying that truggies are more offroadable than 1/8 scale buggies. It seems like truggies have more ground clearance, but can buggies go anywhere that truggies can (like tallish grass, wood chips, that sort of rough terrain)

Old 03-09-2010, 08:11 PM

Default RE: Cheap truggy for bashing around?

ORIGINAL: 1ne8ighty2wo

I've been out the rc world for about a year and I'm looking to get back in. I'm looking for nitro, and a monster truck doesn't appeal to me so that leaves either a buggy or a truggy. I like the increased size of truggies and the ground clearance - it seems buggies are more track cars by nature. I don't really know where to look past that, so any pointers would be appreciated. I'm looking to spend around $300 to $350 for the truck if possible. After looking around some, it seems like that's pretty low for a truggy, but I'm on a pretty tight budget here. My top priorities for the truck is durability and reliability. I don't know what brands are good/bad in the truggy market so any and all suggestions are appreciated.

EDIT: Or am I wrong in saying that truggies are more offroadable than 1/8 scale buggies. It seems like truggies have more ground clearance, but can buggies go anywhere that truggies can (like tallish grass, wood chips, that sort of rough terrain)

For starters the truggies are more expensive.

They have larger wheels and higher ground clearence and are easier to drive in a sense

the truggy should take a look at is the Thunder Tiger St-1 as it is one of the more durable truggies as the rep it has on this forum states
Old 03-09-2010, 08:27 PM

Gonna throw this out here but dont know if its the best choice. XTM XT2 or a XTM XST both are nitro and both are durable and in your price range. They are not competitive in a racing sense but are great for bashing/get together racing.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/145625.asp

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/145635.asp
Old 03-09-2010, 09:06 PM

I didn't realize the topic said buggy and not truggy, fixed that.

I actually was looking at the ST-1 for a truggy as it seems like one of the less expensive ones out there. I've never seen the XST before but I have seen the XT2. If I do get a buggy, it will probably either be a Hyper 7 Tq Black, Ofna Picco, or the XT2. Hobby People is my LHS so they have parts for the XT2.

If I do get a 1/8 buggy, will I be very limited in the places I can drive compared to a 1/8 buggy?

And I can I just throw some bigger tires on a buggy, or will it throw off the gearing too much?
Old 04-16-2010, 12:38 AM

If Hobby People is your LHS go for the XST! $350 or so for rtr and parts are avail thru Hobby People! All three of my trucks are XTM...easy to work on...seems like alot of people dont like XTM but I really dont have any complaints!
Old 04-16-2010, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Johnny Chingas

If Hobby People is your LHS go for the XST! $350 or so for rtr and parts are avail thru Hobby People! All three of my trucks are XTM...easy to work on...seems like alot of people dont like XTM but I really dont have any complaints!
How long of run times do you get per tank, on average?