Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

I'm BACK!

Old 03-17-2010, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm BACK!

I'm sure none of you remember me but I used to post here way way way long ago, over 3 years ago.

I had two cars: An XTM XLB, and an XT-2.

Right before I stopped posting here I believe I made a thread asking which engine to buy to replace the .28 in my XLB. I ended up getting the Axial .32 Spec 1s

It's been many months since I ran either of them, and I finally decided to run them again. Only one problem: XT2's shocks were all beat to hell, and the XLB's drive train had taken a severe beating from the huge torque of the Axial .32.

Anyway, so...I ended up making a truggy out of the two cars.

Here's what resulted:

http://img294.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=truggy4.jpg

(and here's a video of the buggy from a few years ago, still breaking in that new 2spd. Local hobby shop wanted a video of it because of how impressed by its speed they were. And please, don't flame me about the purple wheels. I got a really good deal for them from Tower Hobbies. 6 sets (24 total) of wheels for 8 bucks. Not gonna complain about grape colored wheels at that price. LOL))

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...b-da9b5090ac13

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Believe it or not...the stuff just bolted right up. I ended up using the shocks off the XLB anyway, the XT's shocks just didn't have enough strength to hold up the extra weight.

It took me a <2 hours to do, start to finish, and the only modification to any of the parts required was to shave just a very small amount of plastic off the yolk for the swing arms. That was it. Apparently the shock towers on the XT2 are a little thicker.

Well! Let me know what you think I haven't run her yet. I decided to take on this project at 3 in the morning so, not gonna be running that loud ass thing at this time of night. :P

I'll post tomorrow after I get a fresh glowplug and some fuel. Thanks for yer feedback!

Old 03-18-2010, 12:29 AM

Default RE: I'm BACK!

It seems like it's just one thing after another. It rained today and I couldn't really test the thing offroad. It took almost an entire tank of fuel to get the thing running right again. Apparently you're not supposed to use hot plugs in this motor but oh well.

After I got it all tuned up it started raining again and I had to put her up for a while. In the mean time the pullstarter spring snapped so I had to drop the SH .28 back in. After dropping the .28 in I went to run it again and my receiver pack died. When I tried to put in my standard 4 AA pack, the connector for the pack broke off so...yeah. It's been one thing after another.

I guess that's what I get for letting this stuff sit for so long.

On road, and in the short time it ran with the .32, the results were quite impressive. It's easily as fast as the XT2 stock/SH .28 combo featured in the video above, but is far more stable - especially at high speeds. I am almost certain that once I get the .32 back in it and running right (with the right type of PLUG), that it will pull wheelies. The bottom end power of the .32 is just absurd.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:43 PM

why didnt you just rebuild the xlb as a mammoth st arent they really similar?
Old 03-20-2010, 04:23 PM

good work man...and i know what you mean as far as everything was just going wrong...when it rains it pours.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:30 AM

@Chaser

Because I would have had to purchase items I didn't have already. I did this with what I had on hand. It cost me nothing.

Plus, the gearing on the XT2 is more suitable for a truggy than the XLB.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:32 AM

Thanks Snoking.

Yeah, I finally got it figured out though. I'm gonna order me a new pullstart (only 14 bucks, not bad) and once it stops RAINING I'm gonna get a vid going.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:19 PM

I finally got a video going.

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44h4-K47VH8

There's no tread on the tires and I'm still waiting for the pullstart for my Axial .32 so, it's somewhat limited. It's still pulling 68mph though.

Forgot, here's another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFnoE...eature=channel

I dunno why YT cut the ending off but uh...yeah. As you can tell it's pretty damn fast.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:16 PM

NICE TRUGGY. WHAT CLUTCH BELL #  YOU RUNNING. LOOKS FAST AS HELL, THANKS FOR VID</p>
Old 04-18-2010, 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: mrsheldon

NICE TRUGGY. WHAT CLUTCH BELL # YOU RUNNING. LOOKS FAST AS HELL, THANKS FOR VID</p>
Thanks!

It's actually a two-speed transmission. It's the upgrade kit for the XT2. [link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/149825.asp]Click Here.[/link]

It never seems to shift properly so I don't really worry about it. It's got a really soft, and early shift point, even though the adjustment is turned all the way in (latest shift).

It'll be even faster once I get some new tires and drop that .32 in.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:56 PM

YOU SHOULD CHANGE THE CLUTCH BELL GEAR THAT MIGHT HELP WITH THE SHIFT POINTS.STEEL 2SPD RIGHT?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: mrsheldon

YOU SHOULD CHANGE THE CLUTCH BELL GEAR THAT MIGHT HELP WITH THE SHIFT POINTS.STEEL 2SPD RIGHT?

Plastic 2spd gears. Unfortunately, some of the clutch bells that came in the 2spd conversion were cast instead of threaded - I got one. I can't change the gearing without buying a whole new clutch bell and pinions.