Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

D8T + Novarossi N21BF??

Old 05-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Nesal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D8T + Novarossi N21BF??

Hi,
Im curious regarding truggies and .21 engines... I have a V-Spec which I know will move a Truggy very decently... however I also have a Novarossi N21BF which is no where near as powerful as the V-Spec and would like to know if this motor could move a D8T Truggy farily decently, I understand it will not have excellent power but good enough for some fun at the track? My V-Spec doesnt have that much life left in it!
Thanks guys!
Old 05-02-2010, 08:56 PM
jmaxey51

Default RE: D8T + Novarossi N21BF??

i have the D8T and the nova BF21 and they will work, im not currently running that engine in my truggy, just not quite enough power for me. but if you do run that engine, buy the O'donnell cooling head for it, odonnell 99 plugs and an dynamite 053 and it will be a good club racing engine, it lack a little on top but its worth the money to race club races with it. and the O'donnell make a HUGE difference in power, it will run alot cooler.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:41 AM
Nesal

Ok cool, I currently have an 086 pipe, wouldnt that help the top end? Or do you still recommend the 053 for a better midrange? Thanks for the info!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:28 AM
jmaxey51

it all depends on your track, if you have long straight and not much tight stuff then the 086 will be fine but if it doesnt have long straight and its tight then the 053 will work the best. i personally like the 053 but most people say use the 086. all i hear is people saying they run the 053 or 086. but with the 053 im getting around 10 min a tank, havent tried the 086 yet because i have only ran that engine twice because im saving it for my D8 buggy ill be getting in the next couple of weeks.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Nesal

Cool sounds good, are you happy with the D8T in general? Im a bit worried regarding parts... support in my area isnt the best for HB but Im fed up with my Hyper, I need something a little better, I think it has just gotten to that point where the car just doesnt perform enough you know?
thanks!
Old 05-03-2010, 12:16 PM
jmaxey51

i am extremely happy with my D8T! i was about to order a mugen when i was getting a new truggy and then i was like screw it ill try the HB and man did it pay off. personally i like it alot better than the MBX6T. it handles amazing. worth every penny. since i got it 12 days ago i have raced three races and got 2 thirds and a 1st. i went a whole main and never once crashed, the truggy is so predictable. the hard you drive it the better it gets. and on parts i have had some bad hits like yesterday i hit a truggy head on down a straight away, he was going backwards lol. the truggy is way more durable than i thought. but order an aluminum servo horn for the steering, its a MUST!! but other than that mine is stock. also the radio tray is a pain but build everything to spec, do exactly what the book says, except run short shock ends and in the diffs run 7k front, 10k center and 3k rear. run the shock oils it says. also on the shock screws in the arms the chrome ones are reverse threaded by the way. if you have any questions you can PM me or just ask on here. ill help as much as i can, im getting the buggy in a couple of weeks, waiting on it to get in stock from my sponsor. also on parts Amain is good to order from, i never worry about what my local hobby store carries or anything i just get what i like.

also when it says use locktight USE IT! and grease do the same. build it exactly how the manual says and youll be good to go.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Nesal

Cool thanks man very helpful!! Will probably get it... hehehe whats the approximate build time?! Its my first build but I expect I wont have much trouble.. Im pretty handy and have fixed my hyper savage jato etc in the past down to just about anything...
Old 05-03-2010, 01:23 PM
jmaxey51

the kit took me a few hours like 3-4 hours, but i was taking my time and just making sure everything was perfect. the shocks are a little tough to build but thats about it, pretty simple build. also i forgot to mention, the rubber shock shaft covers are all Long, so you'll need to cut the front ones a little so that it doesnt restrict the travel. i also cut a little off the rear but its not really needed.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Nesal

Ok! Will probably get it in about a month or so, im in exams at college and its probably not the smartest idea to get it just yet! hahaha
Graduating in 1 month wohooo
Old 05-03-2010, 02:27 PM
jmaxey51

ill be done with my freshman year of college on wednesday. i have 3 finals down 2 to go lol. but yeah if you get it now you can take your time building it, just spend 30 minutes here and there. but smart move getting the HB they are a good money saver. but do you already have that Nova engine or are you looking into getting a good cheap engine? for 50 bucks more you can get some killer engines, and with Amain discounts you can knock them down to about 175. personally the BF is a buggy engine unless its modded IMO. you could get an Ofna JL 21 for 175 on nitro house and thats a beast of engine, and easy to tune, worth every penny. its kinda similar to the engine im using right now, i have a jammin JPX 21 that has like 7 gallons or so on it and that thing still flies. but im making a switch to Alpha engines. they are a little over 200 and great engines.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Nesal

Cool, what major!? I have the Nova since I have been using it in my Hyper 7, I now want to sell the Hyper and get the D8T, I dont race at all just go down to the local track and have some fun, do some very NOT serious racing against people there and this is going to be my last summer before starting to work so I want to have fun!! Thus the D8T! Ive had the Hyper for about 2 years and it just doesnt deliver to the level I want it to, its a great buggy and its not even as if im that great or a pro but I want the next step up!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:58 PM
jmaxey51

engineering or architecture or maybe both, im not sure right now so im just taking core classes right now. what about you?

but since you have the Nova and a buggy right now, have you thought about the D8 buggy? its about 50 bucks cheaper and all parts will be cheaper and everything will be cheaper. and the Nova will fit it better. but either way it will be ok. but you cant beat either the D8 or D8T for the price, both extremely durable and good handling. the D8 buggy is a million times easier to drive then the hyper, is it a hyper 7? if so that was my first buggy. but if you are just having fun at the track either one will be fin with your engine.

two more questions for you:
do you have a receiver hump pack and if you do what one do you have?
also what servos do you have?
Old 05-04-2010, 02:51 AM
Nesal

I have thought about the D8 Buggy and consider it an option however I really want a Truggy.... thats why im inclining towards the D8T, I dont love the fact that the tires are so expensive but bah what the hell haha. Im running a Sanwa (Airtronics) ERG-VZ servo on steering and Hitec 645MG on throttle, but have my sights on a new throttle servo just dont know what yet! I have hump packs and a starter box. even a DX3r! im just missing a decent truck! lol
Yeah, its a Hyper 7, it runs ok but I think its time to take things up a notch, as I said I only go to the local track twice a month and fool around there for a couple of hours but I think its time to get a decent car and being my lats summer I want to enjoy it! I will have some more time during the summer and will probably take the car wherever I end up... which at this time seems to be The Dominican Republic working in Marketing. I currently live in Spain and am finishing up College majoring in Finance.
I like the D8 and the D8T.. what to do!! decisions...
Old 05-04-2010, 08:04 AM
jmaxey51

i run the hitec 645 on my throttle lol i got a JR because people said it was better but i can tell you, its not worth the extra money, im going back to my 645. well i have to buy a new one now, the screw broke off in the servo and i cant get it out lol. and the hyper 7 is way off on the track. but im worried about that engine in a truggy, i dont know if it will be enough power for you. its def not for me in a truggy. and the D8T is a little bit on the heavy side. but that engine is a great buggy engine. my dad has a modded one and i think it would be ok in the truggy but still you can buy a better engine like the JL for less than modding an engine. i do love running the truggy and ill race my truggy more but i just want to use my Nova, it has only been raced twice. but either the D8 or D8T will be a great choice.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Nesal

Yeah Im also pretty worried about that engine in the Truggy.... will have to think about it, maybe sell it and get something to replace it? I know its a good buggy engine... I like the D8 buggy a lot,, but I like the truggy more!!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:43 AM
nitroexpress

Concerning D8T weight. This is from Jesse Robbers HB Team driver.

"The weight balance on the D8 and D8T side to side (left and right bias) are VERY good with an empty and full tank of fuel. The difference is pretty much not there so your car isn't right side heavy like other brand car kits. The front/rear bias on both cars is closer to 50/50 than any other brand nitro car I've seen also. Overall weight on 100% stock truck with a "light" body (one color practice body, a few kit/stock style decals, .030" thick) and some "heavy" tires (holeshots on some old "heavy" wheels) was like 2oz overweight."

-Overweight meaning legal limit.-
Old 05-04-2010, 12:49 PM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: Nesal

Yeah Im also pretty worried about that engine in the Truggy.... will have to think about it, maybe sell it and get something to replace it? I know its a good buggy engine... I like the D8 buggy a lot,, but I like the truggy more!!
the gearing is good on the truggy so it may be ok, you could try it and then if it doesnt work for you, you can sell it and replace it. but i dont know what clutch springs you run but with truggy run 1.1 spirngs and aluminum shoes.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:42 AM
Nesal

Thanks for the info Nitroexpress.
At the moment im running 1.0 springs and plastic shoes, one of those Ultimate Compak clutches... its a pretty decent clutch but you think I should upgrade? Anything in particular? You guys are really helping me out here thks again...
Old 05-05-2010, 09:02 AM
jmaxey51

Dynamite Max Life shoes!!! i just got 8 gallons on mine and they work great. also on springs i have had good luck with Kyosho 1.1 springs but im trying some answer springs now so ill see how those work. do NOT get the mugen springs, i bought 4 sets and they wouldnt even make it threw one day of racing before they broke.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Nesal

Ok!! Will bear in mind!
Old 05-08-2010, 08:55 AM
mattyb13

Jmaxey51,
I am about to drop in and get the D8T. The Jammin JPX .21 is high on my options list of engines to get for it. How has that engine performed for you? I have heard good things about that engine but considering you are running the EXACT settup I am contemplating I am VERY interested in your feedback! There are so many good engines right now in that same price range that honestly I am somewhat confused. I am also curious about that JL.21, or the Reedy VR121, Alpha (BUT which one) or maybe even a Nova (however, I have NO idea which Nova would best suit a truggy.) I am looking to put "ballpark" $250 into an engine. I would go a little higher or certainly lower if I could but I want at least $250 worth or power. I had a V-Spec in my Cen Matrix TR C2XPRO. It was really flying and keeping up with anything out there until the conrod snapped at 2 gallons and absolutely destroyed that poor engine!
Old 05-08-2010, 09:37 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: mattyb13

Jmaxey51,
I am about to drop in and get the D8T. The Jammin JPX .21 is high on my options list of engines to get for it. How has that engine performed for you? I have heard good things about that engine but considering you are running the EXACT settup I am contemplating I am VERY interested in your feedback! There are so many good engines right now in that same price range that honestly I am somewhat confused. I am also curious about that JL.21, or the Reedy VR121, Alpha (BUT which one) or maybe even a Nova (however, I have NO idea which Nova would best suit a truggy.) I am looking to put ''ballpark'' $250 into an engine. I would go a little higher or certainly lower if I could but I want at least $250 worth or power. I had a V-Spec in my Cen Matrix TR C2XPRO. It was really flying and keeping up with anything out there until the conrod snapped at 2 gallons and absolutely destroyed that poor engine!

I am selling my Clockwork Modified JL 21 for $250.00...it will absolutely blow the doors off any stock engine you can buy..pass them Alpha's like they in reverse, and has smoother trigger too.........My engine is easy to tune, powerful, smooth and has a unbeleivable top end....It also comes with a hand fitted piston so it will need next to zero breakin ! PM me for details ! you will not find a stock engine at any price that will run with this engine !
Old 05-09-2010, 12:40 PM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: mattyb13

Jmaxey51,
I am about to drop in and get the D8T. The Jammin JPX .21 is high on my options list of engines to get for it. How has that engine performed for you? I have heard good things about that engine but considering you are running the EXACT settup I am contemplating I am VERY interested in your feedback! There are so many good engines right now in that same price range that honestly I am somewhat confused. I am also curious about that JL.21, or the Reedy VR121, Alpha (BUT which one) or maybe even a Nova (however, I have NO idea which Nova would best suit a truggy.) I am looking to put "ballpark" $250 into an engine. I would go a little higher or certainly lower if I could but I want at least $250 worth or power. I had a V-Spec in my Cen Matrix TR C2XPRO. It was really flying and keeping up with anything out there until the conrod snapped at 2 gallons and absolutely destroyed that poor engine!
the Jammin JPX 21 works amazing in that truggy! my dad actually bought it for a buggy and he didnt like the power plant, however i loved it, it was ok in buggy, a little to much IMO and it worked pretty good in the jammin X2 truggy i had and then i put it in the D8T and it seemed like it was made for that truggy. but be for warned the carb isnt the best, i have 7-8 gallons in the engine and its still very strong but the carb is shot. other than that it was worth all of the $200 that it cost (i got it when they first came out and Amain had a sale on them). i havent ran a JL so i cant really comment on them, but im worried about how long they will last. now the Reedy is awesome but they are having issues with the silicone coming out of the crank and ruining the engine, i heard you can just take it out and run it but youll loose about 30 seconds of run time. on a nova the one that is my favorite and i think is perfect is the plus 4, i know it says its a buggy engine but its perfect for truggy, smooth power plant. when i was going to get a engine this past week it came down to the plus 4 and the Alpha (green head) but my sponsor had Alphas and if i wanted a Nova i would have had to pay alot more for it and he has a bunch in stock. so i went with the Alpha and i have to say im very happy with my choice, best engine i have ever driven by far!! amazing power plant with tons of power, more than you need most of the time. i raced it yesterday and man was it awesome, i was getting 8+ min a tank and its not even fully broken in yet, they dont fully breakin for about 2 gallons. if you go with an Alpha get the Alpha 801 pipe, perfect combo.

IMO the two engines i would look at is the JPX 21 or the Alpha. the orange head has more snap off the bottom and the green head one has a smoother bottom but about the same up top. i prefer the Green head but im planning on getting a orange head in the next month or two to try it out. i just wouldnt get the red head one.

i hope this helps with your decision.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:50 PM
jmaxey51

here is a short video of my D8T with the Jammin JPX 21 with an JP3 pipe. some of the jumps are harder to clear than what it looks like in the video, most people really struggle to make it over the up hill quad and the double after it ( close to drivers stand) and the Jammin JPX 21 makes them with ease. also i ran the same track yesterday and the Alpha makes them easy. either engine is plenty of power on the track.

Im the main one, the white and red truggy (btw that was a free practice body, not my work or cut out work, it looks bad)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09NHo...layer_embedded
P.S. dont make fun of my unbalance practice tires, i forgot to balance them before the race haha

Old 05-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Nesal

Nice truck, track and driving!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.