Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Loosing sleep. In need of some help.

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Loosing sleep. In need of some help.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:36 AM
vaa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loosing sleep. In need of some help.

I'm looking for a new (to me) 1/8 Truggy. I'm not looking to race with it. It will be to run it on grass, dirt, pavement and in the woods. I've been reading the forums nonstop and checking out youtube vids like crazy.

I currently have an Associated SC10 and it's a great truck. Fast, light and handles well. It doesn't do too well on the grass or in the woods tho. I'm looking for something with a little more ground clearance. I may do an electric conversion but I'm not sure at the moment. I'm looking for a reliable and durable truggy. I had a Savage a while back which I sold for financial reasons. It was good but I want better handling than a monster truck can offer. My friend has an E-Maxx and he's always fixing that truck.

Anyways, I'm torn between the Losi 8ight T 2.0 RTR, Mugen MBX6T, AE RC8T and HB D8T.

Here's what I have about each so far:
Losi has just about everything I need. Servo's are junk so I'll replace those. Also people say it goes thru parts a little bit more than the AE and Mugen.

Mugen is very tough and durable and is a sick race truck. I've read nothing but great things about this Truck.

AE is the brand I'm most familiar with. Read and heard al good things about this truck. Not sure if I would do the RTR or the Kit. I like kits but keeping the price down is good too.

HB D8T is very attractive because of the kit price but I've heard that it goes thru parts like crazy.

I'm also out of tune with the motors in this class. I see a lot of people running .21 motors but the RTR's come with .28 motors. Recommendations would be very helpful.

If I don't go with the Losi I would prob get a DX3S anyways.

Help a brother out. I'm not opposed to buying used but what to buy is the question.

Thanks
Victor
Old 06-18-2010, 01:22 AM
HRCules77
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loosing sleep. In need of some help.

Frankly, I'm partial to the Robitronic Mantis. I went through the same sleepless cycle before I bought mine: I read EVERYTHING I could get my eyes on with regards to truggies before I settled on it. It doesn't have much parts support locally (most parts aren't stocked) but I'm quite content ordering them through the LHS or online. It's a tough truck and can really take a beating. I eventually did convert it to electric. If you know how to use tools, it's not that big of a deal to do.
I would agree with you that a truggy offers the most flexible platform with regards to ground clearance, handling (center diff), durability and tuning options: more than a monster truck does anyway which is also why I bought one.
The HB you're considering is a good choice too: the owner of another LHS here in Anderson (which has a large 1/8 track) owns and races one. With good driving skills, it doesn't matter much what you're driving.
As far as going through parts or the infamous high-end vs. low-end vehicles are concerned, here's a thought:
sometimes when a vehicle is "cheap", a driver will subconsciously drive the crud out of it: at least I've done it. Please tell me, who hasn't driven a cheap R/C like it was stolen? However, give them an expensive one and it's possible their driving style changes slightly.
I'm not saying that there's no truth in what you've heard about any given R/C, rather I'm saying that until something is found to be absolutely true and beyond doubt under any and all circumstances, it shouldn't have much weight in a decision.
Hope this helps.