Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Truggy selection after first race..

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Truggy selection after first race..

Old 06-23-2010, 02:00 PM
alport78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truggy selection after first race..

HI
I raced on the first electric offroad race in my country (Turkey) this weekend. Our class was mixed (buggy, truggy and monster) because of the lack of competitors. Our track is very very rough as you can see partly below.(Actually a lot worse than you can see).
http://www.hobbyrc.com/forum/threads...er-ve-Videolar
I raced with a brushless converted hyper 8 pro buggy ( the yellow one on the pictures) and came third at the end of the day after a mbx5T and a Vorza driven by an experienced driver. I lived a lot of problems because of the rough track with my buggy and decided to drive a truggy for other upcoming races. I know I could drive much smoother because of the track conditions but come on this was my first race and I need a car more easy to control and durable. I choosed the truggy for controlability but which one for durability?
It shouldn't be the most pro or most adjustable chassis but have to be strongest one. I'm considering jammin X2 crt, Cen matrix tr arena and Mugen mbx6T. Actually Mugen is a little expensive for my budget if it has a significant advantage on durability I'll try to buy it.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:15 PM
chaserogesr14

Default RE: Truggy selection after first race..

as far as i know cen is semi difficult to get parts for.
if you are planning on running brushless what about the rc8te
Old 06-23-2010, 04:45 PM
alport78

I read everywhere jammin and mugen are very tough. I know associated make great cars but I'didnt read anything special about their durability. Nitro chassises are generally more strong and actual and conversion is not a problem for me. Therefor nitro kit is a better choice for me before Asso release RC8Te Factory team
Old 06-23-2010, 05:46 PM
romax

I have had a Cen Matrix tr & Jammin x2 crt & out of those 2 the Jammin is far superior . I haven't had a mugen so i can't comment on it but they look good on the track as well .
Old 06-23-2010, 09:29 PM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: romax

I have had a Cen Matrix tr & Jammin x2 crt & out of those 2 the Jammin is far superior . I haven't had a mugen so i can't comment on it but they look good on the track as well .
im his son and the cen truggy has nothing on the jammin. the cen buggy is ok, he let me race it a few times when i was without one and i finished pretty well with it but the truggy just isnt there. needs alot of upgrades. the jammin X2 is an awesome truggy, i liked it alot. the mugen is great too, i have driven a good bit of them because i wasnt sure what i was going to get at the time so quite a few people let me run them, even raced one for a qualifier or two. they are a little easier to go faster on than the jammin but the jammin is just as capable to go as fast, its 90% driver anyways. i ended up going with the HB D8T and right now im very happy with my choice. its very durable and extremely easy to drive and dirt cheap. the only problem im seeing with mugens is the front A-arms are breaking but other than that its a solid truggy.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:25 AM
alport78

Thanks for the great info. So I eliminate Cen. As you may know there is a significant price difference between jammin x2 and MBX6T. Do you think MBX6T worth that when you consider especially their durability?
Old 06-24-2010, 10:19 AM
jmaxey51

i think jammin is just as durable as mugen if not more durable. me and my dad ran jammin for over a year and we both broke one A-arm and we only replaced the axils and bearings once. it is tough as anything very well built. but jammin takes half offset wheels which they no longer have pre-mounts for that i know of. but either one is great both very durable. its all about how much you want to spend. but if your starting out i think the jammin will be a little better for you, because there isnt much maintenance.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:39 AM
alport78

Ok then I'll go for Jammin. Have X2 crt a weak or a problematic point? For example I lived much problems with my hyper 8 pro on steering knuckle and c-hub connection.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:31 PM
chaserogesr14

idk about the x2 but I went a full race season without breaking anything on my x1 crt
Old 06-24-2010, 08:45 PM
romax

The jammin really does not have a weak area . Some people say the driveshafts wear fast , i had 1 set last around 8 gallons then the next set wore the pins in 2 gallons . It is a very tough truggy .
Old 06-24-2010, 10:34 PM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: romax

The jammin really does not have a weak area . Some people say the driveshafts wear fast , i had 1 set last around 8 gallons then the next set wore the pins in 2 gallons . It is a very tough truggy .
the first set he drove it. then the second set i drove a gallon with them. my dad isnt as rough on it as me, hes smoother threw the turns and dont whip it around and slid it and all.

but yeah not really a weak point. the only one i found was the front steering top plate cracked but on my buggy, i cracked 2 but on the truggy it doesnt seem to break. on the X2 the outdrives wear kinda fast but not really and if they do just put the non-lightened ones on from an X1. but i honestly think you'll go 8-10 gallons before needing to replace one thing.

i advice getting a set of spare arms for it just incase, but like i said between running jammins for over a year we only broke one A-arm on truggy.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:03 AM
alport78

Ok. After all information I'm more confident of x2 crt. Thanks alot guys. I'm really apprecited.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:52 PM
jmaxey51

now when putting the diffs in make sure to use 2 shims on the ones that cross inside the diff on each gear. and then when shimming the diff inside the case make sure to shim it tight, a little notchy.

on setup 40 or 45 all the way around in the shocks

7k front 10K center and 3k rear in the diffs.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:52 AM
alport78

ORIGINAL: jmaxey51

now when putting the diffs in make sure to use 2 shims on the ones that cross inside the diff on each gear.
Sorry but my english is not well. I can't understand the part above. I know how to shim diffs but I assume you mentioned to put shims somewhere else instead in the diff case and coludn't understand where.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:16 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run both a Mugen 6T and a Jammin X2....... Only thing I will say is buy the Mugen, the Jammin doesn't handle anywhere near as good as the Mugen does... The Mugen is far more stable, jumps better and is many times easier to drive fast then the jammin......The Jammin can be fast, but its extremely twitchy and tends to feel very on edge...The Mugen is far more relaxed and holds its line much much better.... durability wise the Mugen is tougher everywhere but the front lower control arms.. for some reason these 6T's are breaking lower arms, however new updated arms are apparently in the works..... The Mugen has a much higher drage drivetrain with helical cut billet gears, the jammin uses straight cut cast gears...with my modified engines we have had some diff issues with the Jammin diffs...... I still like the X2 however it feels very dated when driving back to back with the mugen...equal driver running both machines the Jammin will struggle to keep with the Mugen running a casual pace....The jammin is IMO already past its prime and would not be the best choice for getting into racing today....Buy the Mugen, you will be faster with it then the Jammin without question...
Old 06-26-2010, 09:35 PM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: alport78

ORIGINAL: jmaxey51

now when putting the diffs in make sure to use 2 shims on the ones that cross inside the diff on each gear.
Sorry but my english is not well. I can't understand the part above. I know how to shim diffs but I assume you mentioned to put shims somewhere else instead in the diff case and coludn't understand where.
sorry for the confusion, but i just looked in the owners manual and it tells/shows you how in there, for some reason i thought they left that parts out.