Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Engiune suggestion

Old 08-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engiune suggestion

Ill be running my jammin crt on pavement for the most part, and am about to invest in some road rage tires to put on my dish wheels. I currently have a rebuilt k4.6 installed but it just doesnt have the ass that Id like it to have. Im looking for speed, not "racing" speed but top end "my trucks faster than yours" in the mall parking lot with buddies speed. I have a JP2 pipe on it now, but could swap the 086 from my savy over to it if need be.

I dont really want to spend over $200. The picco .28 p3 was my first thought, but iv also read that the .21's may be better in truggies......however most the .21's (jpx, nova, etc...) seem to be pretty expensive....any suggestions here? Do I look at .21's or are those typically for track racers? Or do I stay with a big block and look at lrp, picco, mach?

Ill probably grab a 16T CB soon to replace the 13T stocker. Thanks for any opinions
Old 08-10-2010, 03:15 PM
jmaxey51

Default RE: Engiune suggestion

a JPX 21 is right at 200. we got ours for under 200 with the codes on towerhobbies or Amain. but if your bashing a 28 would be ok and on the CB there is no need for a 16T. 15T would be the highest you would even want to go. 1 tooth makes a big difference.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Shenanigans

Thanks for the response. Understood regarding the CB...I based it on jumping 3 teeth on my savy to 19 and figured I could make the same jump on the truggy, but 15t sounds reasonable. So if I understand you right, since I am bashing with my budget a .28 would be more appropriate? Meaning I can get more bang for my buck at .28 for a bashing setup than a slick .21 racing mill? Fuel consumption isnt much an issue for me, I understand the .28's will drink more so It's really just a question of performance at my budget. Startin to look like picco .28 could be in my truggy's future?

ORIGINAL: jmaxey51

a JPX 21 is right at 200. we got ours for under 200 with the codes on towerhobbies or Amain. but if your bashing a 28 would be ok and on the CB there is no need for a 16T. 15T would be the highest you would even want to go. 1 tooth makes a big difference.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:54 PM
jmaxey51

IMO picco 28s are tons of power!! will wear out drives fast. but they are good and will last a good while. i had a SH 28 from an RTR cen matrix and that thing would haul with my jammin X1. its like 160 i think. the first gallon or two was only getting about 5-6 min a tank then it broke in finally and i was getting over 8 min. i ran 13T and it worked great but a 14T would of been better. but a picco engine is good and will last longer than an OS. but the carbs arent the best but they are great for bashing. piccos are also extremely easy to tune. same with SH. the only advice is run 20% in Picco till you get 7+ gallons threw it unless you add a shim like the manual says. hope this helps.

ORIGINAL: Shenanigans

Thanks for the response. Understood regarding the CB...I based it on jumping 3 teeth on my savy to 19 and figured I could make the same jump on the truggy, but 15t sounds reasonable. So if I understand you right, since I am bashing with my budget a .28 would be more appropriate? Meaning I can get more bang for my buck at .28 for a bashing setup than a slick .21 racing mill? Fuel consumption isnt much an issue for me, I understand the .28's will drink more so It's really just a question of performance at my budget. Startin to look like picco .28 could be in my truggy's future?

Old 08-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Shenanigans

Helped a bunch bro, much apreciated. I do run 20% Byrons Gen and havent seen a reason to change it yet. Also contemplated an lrp 28, but i already have an lrp 30 in my savy so i thought id try something different. Ill look into the SH's as well as I have heard good things about them as well. Is the SH line the same as the losi 454, or am I thinking of Mach's?

IMO picco 28s are tons of power!! will wear out drives fast. but they are good and will last a good while. i had a SH 28 from an RTR cen matrix and that thing would haul with my jammin X1. its like 160 i think. the first gallon or two was only getting about 5-6 min a tank then it broke in finally and i was getting over 8 min. i ran 13T and it worked great but a 14T would of been better. but a picco engine is good and will last longer than an OS. but the carbs arent the best but they are great for bashing. piccos are also extremely easy to tune. same with SH. the only advice is run 20% in Picco till you get 7+ gallons threw it unless you add a shim like the manual says. hope this helps.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:02 PM
supertib

the stock Picco does not need to have a shim added to run 30%...in fact you can remove a shim and still run 30%........... adding a shim is a bad idea, it makes the engine harder to tune, will run hotter and need a leaner mixture to make more power, which in turn increases the wear on the engine.....
Old 08-10-2010, 05:11 PM
jmaxey51

losi 454 is made by SH so ive been told and read alot on other forums. the losi 454 is also a great engine. about 7-8 min a tank and they will fly once fully broken in. those are good prices also.

Helped a bunch bro, much apreciated. I do run 20% Byrons Gen and havent seen a reason to change it yet. Also contemplated an lrp 28, but i already have an lrp 30 in my savy so i thought id try something different. Ill look into the SH's as well as I have heard good things about them as well. Is the SH line the same as the losi 454, or am I thinking of Mach's?

Old 08-10-2010, 06:13 PM
supertib

losi 454 is made by SH so ive been told and read alot on other forums. the losi 454 is also a great engine. about 7-8 min a tank and they will fly once fully broken in. those are good prices also.

I personally do not like the 454 at all...its a very difficult engine to tune correctly....carb is not insulated and suffers from heat soak really badly...the Losi RTR is very popular in my region and those engines are more trouble then they are worth...they do make reasonable power tho, but their tuning characteristics suck IMO
Old 08-10-2010, 08:54 PM
jmaxey51

supertib: do you live in high altitude? or dry region? if so thats why your engines run differently. in my area if you do not add a .1 mm shim to a picco it will not last 4 gallons. in the manual it says its shimmed for 25% and add .1mm shim to run 30%. we did just that and we have 9 gallons and it will pull just about any engine out there including OS SPEED, B5, Alphas (barely) etc.

also in my area i havent seen anyone have any problems with the 454.....
Old 08-10-2010, 11:16 PM
supertib

supertib: do you live in high altitude? or dry region? if so thats why your engines run differently. in my area if you do not add a .1 mm shim to a picco it will not last 4 gallons. in the manual it says its shimmed for 25% and add .1mm shim to run 30%. we did just that and we have 9 gallons and it will pull just about any engine out there including OS SPEED, B5, Alphas (barely) etc.

also in my area i havent seen anyone have any problems with the 454.....

Sorry bro, I dont agree at all...I have been running Picco's for years and modified hundreds around the globe..... They do not need a shim added to run 30%...if someone's is wearing out that fast, its for other reasons then not enough head shims..... The stock compression on the Picco is low enough to safely run 40%, 30% is no issue.....remember we have been racing these engines for many years in many different conditions, not to mention over the years I have done hundreds of these engines and have them running all over the world.... We run ours at even a higher compression then stock, on 30% race fuel and have no issues with engines wearing out early, in fact they almost always go past 10 gallons without needing anything but a rod....

Either way the JPX is a highly underrated mill, arguably the fastest stock offroad 21 on the market, and of course the modified versions are just absurd ! If your running your stocker with an extra shim your leaving a pile of power on the table, you have no idea how much stronger that engine can be with the proper setup and tune...Tho truthfully you likely don't need any more power anyways so carry on ! I will however never agree that adding extra shims is a good idea tho !
Old 08-11-2010, 12:25 AM
jmaxey51

ORIGINAL: supertib

Sorry bro, I dont agree at all...I have been running Picco's for years and modified hundreds around the globe..... They do not need a shim added to run 30%...if someone's is wearing out that fast, its for other reasons then not enough head shims..... The stock compression on the Picco is low enough to safely run 40%, 30% is no issue.....remember we have been racing these engines for many years in many different conditions, not to mention over the years I have done hundreds of these engines and have them running all over the world.... We run ours at even a higher compression then stock, on 30% race fuel and have no issues with engines wearing out early, in fact they almost always go past 10 gallons without needing anything but a rod....

Either way the JPX is a highly underrated mill, arguably the fastest stock offroad 21 on the market, and of course the modified versions are just absurd ! If your running your stocker with an extra shim your leaving a pile of power on the table, you have no idea how much stronger that engine can be with the proper setup and tune...Tho truthfully you likely don't need any more power anyways so carry on ! I will however never agree that adding extra shims is a good idea tho !
fully agree with you right there! mine screams, nothing has out pulled it yet.

but picco or picco based are freakin tight. you cant even turn those over without the plug in. i know you mod engines and you do great work. but im just saying my expirence. i didnt add a shim to my JPX but i did got 7 gallons of 20% before switching to 30%. it was more snappy with 30% but has more top end power with 20% IMO. i just know i have seen 5 people start with 30% and we did everything the same except 20% and ours is still going after 9 gallons and theirs was in the trash at 4 gallons. we were even harder on it and reved the snot out of it and its still going. took over 2 gallons to break in tho. you are probably right on shimming but mine has lasted that long and we still constantly put it on our buggies and truggies when we have a clutch or anything go wrong. never touch the tune, just pop in and go racing.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:16 AM
supertib

fully agree with you right there! mine screams, nothing has out pulled it yet.

but picco or picco based are freakin tight. you cant even turn those over without the plug in. i know you mod engines and you do great work. but im just saying my expirence. i didnt add a shim to my JPX but i did got 7 gallons of 20% before switching to 30%. it was more snappy with 30% but has more top end power with 20% IMO. i just know i have seen 5 people start with 30% and we did everything the same except 20% and ours is still going after 9 gallons and theirs was in the trash at 4 gallons. we were even harder on it and reved the snot out of it and its still going. took over 2 gallons to break in tho. you are probably right on shimming but mine has lasted that long and we still constantly put it on our buggies and truggies when we have a clutch or anything go wrong. never touch the tune, just pop in and go racing.

Its all in the setup and tune....We dont add shims, we usually remove one...However obviously your able to run it fine with adding a shim...... As for the engines wearing out early its likely some other factor being overlooked.... What may I ask was going wrong with the other ones ? not often I see a JPX in the trash at 4 gallons....heck most of them still have huge pinch at 4 gallons LOL ! out of curiosity what setup do you use on your JPX 21 ? as in clutch/pipe/plug/fuel etc ?

i love these engines ! here is my latest one, heck in this video I remove a shim and show before and after !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=569nF90fUSQ
Old 08-11-2010, 01:52 AM
jmaxey51

Its all in the setup and tune....We dont add shims, we usually remove one...However obviously your able to run it fine with adding a shim...... As for the engines wearing out early its likely some other factor being overlooked.... What may I ask was going wrong with the other ones ? not often I see a JPX in the trash at 4 gallons....heck most of them still have huge pinch at 4 gallons LOL ! out of curiosity what setup do you use on your JPX 21 ? as in clutch/pipe/plug/fuel etc ?

i love these engines ! here is my latest one, heck in this video I remove a shim and show before and after !

they were loosing all compression and wouldnt hold a tune and ran very very hot, and 2 snapped rods. mine is still not that easy to turn over by hand.

i ran JP3, three shoe clutch (VP pro or Odonnell shoes) with 1.1 springs on truggy and 1.0 on buggy. i ran the ofna turbo medium plug or P4 if i couldnt find an Ofna one. and i ran byrons 20-12 and now 30-11.

my dad ran dynamite 053 or RB 2045 pipe same clutch setup. except he ran 1.0 alot on truggy too. and same plugs and same fuel.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:00 AM
revo_sbs
My Feedback: (23)

o.s .28xz
Old 08-12-2010, 11:35 PM
stussman

^+1. Mite be to expensive tho. In Aust i can get an os28 for 240 now. Need starter box 2. Reliable, fast and easy easy to tune=os28.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:39 PM
supertib

they were loosing all compression and wouldnt hold a tune and ran very very hot, and 2 snapped rods. mine is still not that easy to turn over by hand.

i ran JP3, three shoe clutch (VP pro or Odonnell shoes) with 1.1 springs on truggy and 1.0 on buggy. i ran the ofna turbo medium plug or P4 if i couldnt find an Ofna one. and i ran byrons 20-12 and now 30-11.

my dad ran dynamite 053 or RB 2045 pipe same clutch setup. except he ran 1.0 alot on truggy too. and same plugs and same fuel.

sounds more like lack of tuning knowledge to be honest.... overheating and snapping rods have nothing to do with the head shims I can assure you...The reason your JPX is doing so good and your friends aren't is that you and your dad know how to tune better then they do ! those guys would have killed their JPX no matter what shims they ran.. !
Old 08-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Shenanigans

I decided to save a little bit of money and go for a port and polish job on what I have.  Never had a modified engine, so I was curious to try it.  I almost pulled the trigger on one of Tib's engines from his site.......if my current plan goes south I will probably pull that trigger on one of his modified truggy mills.

Thanks for the advice, I may post a vid of the engines performance after the work it gets. 
Old 08-13-2010, 08:59 AM
supertib

Whatver you do, don't let someone polish your engines internals ! that hurts performance LOL

here is what my engines do in a parking lot !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svbaqFOW_5Q

please post video of the ported and polished 4.6 afterwards !
Old 08-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Shenanigans

Thats vicious!.....this k4.6 was my first nitro engine, Ilearned with it,and I took the time to rebuild it so there was a little personal push to keep using it I do like the idea of grabbing one of your engines anyway and getting another roller to put it, or the 4.6 in Crazy hobby....Sometimes wish origami entertained me...much cheaper.

Whatver you do, don't let someone polish your engines internals ! that hurts performance LOL

Old 08-13-2010, 02:00 PM
supertib

Thats vicious!.....this k4.6 was my first nitro engine, I learned with it, and I took the time to rebuild it so there was a little personal push to keep using it I do like the idea of grabbing one of your engines anyway and getting another roller to put it, or the 4.6 in Crazy hobby....Sometimes wish origami entertained me...much cheaper.

You have the right outlook my friend !!!! have fun and whenever your ready I have will a special engine ready for you ! and yes I wish I found a cheaper hobby too...LOL