Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Need Help Finding Components For A D8T!

Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Need Help Finding Components For A D8T!

Old 08-24-2010, 11:01 AM
rc person 577

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Finding Components For A D8T!

Ok, so they are going to build a track near me, and I want to build a truggy.
I have pretty much settled on a Hot Bodies D8T truggy. My questions are:

1: What engine/displacement wold be good in a truggy? I have heard of .21's, .25's, and even .28's

2: What pipe would you say to go with the engine?Trying to avoid buying many pipes.

3: What servos/torque would be needed for steering and throttle in a truggy that won't break the bank? Tower says like 100oz. but I have heard like up to 400oz. Not sure about throttle.

The track will most likely going to be bigand wide with long straits, some sweepers, anda lot of 180* turns.
The surface will probably be clay or a mixture of clay and dirt.

1: I was looking at the Werks B6, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXACLP&P=SM,and am open to anything.

2: I was looking at a JP-3.

3: Not sure what specs to look for.

PLEASE help! Thamk you!:s

EDIT: I could only find one thing on the D8T.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:46 AM
jmaxey51

Default RE: Need Help Finding Components For A D8T!

ORIGINAL: rc person 577

1: What engine/displacement wold be good in a truggy? I have heard of .21's, .25's, and even .28's

http://www.championrc.com/cd/ARCBT52PB/Alpha-RC-S852-Engine-Orange-Head-(torque)-5+2P

2: What pipe would you say to go with the engine?Trying to avoid buying many pipes.

http://www.championrc.com/cd/ARC0801...ber-Tuned-Pipe

3: What servos/torque would be needed for steering and throttle in a truggy that won't break the bank? Tower says like 100oz. but I have heard like up to 400oz. Not sure about throttle.

two of these (they are a hitec 7955 copy):http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNRN6&P=ML

The track will most likely going to be bigand wide with long straits, some sweepers, anda lot of 180* turns.

1: I was looking at the Werks B6, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXACLP&P=SM,and am open to anything.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:53 AM
rc person 577

What kind of runtime do you get with this combo?
Thank you for responding!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:23 PM
nitroexpress

Everyone has their favorite brandof equipmentand what one thinks is great, anotherwill dispute. Just stick to major players and in time you'll form your own opinions.
1. Use a .21, nothing larger.
2.I have a few JP pipes and although they perform well, they all seem to be fuel hogs.Don't go wild spending alot of money on apipe. I've had good luck with Dynamite.These special pipes for special engines won't be noticed by the average racer.
3.Throttle - around 200 - 250oz should do it. Steering - 300oz on up would be safe.

Lots of pages, but the most info on HB.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ruggy-273.html
Old 08-24-2010, 09:12 PM
chaserogesr14

the team associated ds1015 steering and ds1313 throttle are good too
Old 08-24-2010, 11:15 PM
jmaxey51

What kind of runtime do you get with this combo?
Thank you for responding!

ive gotten up to 12 min and usually a little more then 10 min, i pit at 9 min to be sure. BUT im a throttle happy driver. i know some people pitting at 11.5 min ....

Old 08-25-2010, 08:58 AM
rc person 577

Hey, thanks guys!

I was wondering if you have any thoughts on the Werks B6? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAATE&P=SM

Also, yesterday I was looking at the radio forum, and I heard the Spektrum DX3R really is not that good from what they were saying. I bring this up, because I was just going to buy one. Have you ever had issues with Spektrum? I use there air radios with no problem...

Thanks again

Old 08-25-2010, 01:41 PM
jmaxey51

Hey, thanks guys!

I was wondering if you have any thoughts on the Werks B6? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAATE&P=SM

Also, yesterday I was looking at the radio forum, and I heard the Spektrum DX3R really is not that good from what they were saying. I bring this up, because I was just going to buy one. Have you ever had issues with Spektrum? I use there air radios with no problem...

Thanks again

if you go with werks get the B5, the B6 is a buggy engine.

on the DX3R, i personally not a fan, to light and all lol but i run an Airtronics M11 with spektrum module and receiver, spektrum isnt bad, i even run it in my radio hahah

only radio i like is a M11 or M11x but prefer M11 because i can run the spektrum module. but the DX3R is the next best thing IMO.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:05 PM
chaserogesr14

yea i switched from the m8 to the dx3s and its almost uncomfortably light
Old 08-25-2010, 09:14 PM
rc person 577

What are your thoughts on the Dynamite .21? After thinking about this, the track will probaly not be anything specialuntilat least end of next year.With this in mind, I don't want to buy a top-of-the-line engine when the advantage of the 1 min. or little power iswasted on practice time with nobig class or even race event.So if I could get away with a $130 engine and a 50$ pipe for now, until the club gets going, that would be better, for me at least, than leading edge performance.

I saw a review in R/C car magizne (the magzine I trust the most) and they said it was a good buget engine... I mean I'm looking at $900 for this, and cutting it down to like under $800 would be awsome.

I hope you guys get what I'm trying to say. [&:]

Thanks a lot!

Edit: As far as the lightness, a guy that lets me use his backyard track for fun, let me try his spektrum radio and I really liked the lightness and the feel to it. I was just worried that there was something wrong with the technology its self.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:35 PM
jmaxey51

What are your thoughts on the Dynamite .21? After thinking about this, the track will probaly not be anything specialuntilat least end of next year.With this in mind, I don't want to buy a top-of-the-line engine when the advantage of the 1 min. or little power iswasted on practice time with nobig class or even race event.So if I could get away with a $130 engine and a 50$ pipe for now, until the club gets going, that would be better, for me at least, than leading edge performance.

I saw a review in R/C car magizne (the magzine I trust the most) and they said it was a good buget engine... I mean I'm looking at $900 for this, and cutting it down to like under $800 would be awsome.

I hope you guys get what I'm trying to say. [&:]

Thanks a lot!

Edit: As far as the lightness, a guy that lets me use his backyard track for fun, let me try his spektrum radio and I really liked the lightness and the feel to it. I was just worried that there was something wrong with the technology its self.

the dynamite are ok engines but dont expect them to last long at all, and for a D8T, i dont think they will pull those around to good, the D8T is heavy (im selling mine currently after 5 gallons if that on it), i say a picco based engine or a nova BF or something along those lines, the dynamite might get you 5 gallons, the are cheap and all but after its all said and done it will cost you more in the long run.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:38 PM
jmaxey51

is this to much? http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=22440

or this one: http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=21551

this one is good too: http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=21728

Old 08-26-2010, 07:48 AM
rc person 577

Ya, I figured it eould be too good to be true...

Out of the three which one would you recomend to be the best? The first one is on the edge of being too much. I like the second one the best, good price too. The third one looks basic (it says basic) but if it is of quality, and can pull a D8T around, the price is also there...

Thanks for the links
Old 08-26-2010, 09:15 AM
jmaxey51

the first one would be the fastest and all, i almost got myself one BUT the carbs arent the best. the second one is probably the best bet, its a very good engine, i recommend buying a used JP3 off ebay for it, i got my JP3 with 3 races on it (didnt even look used) for 25 bucks. the last one is a good engine and good quality but power wise its about like the dynamite engine but it will just last longer.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:11 PM
supertib

The second engine is the fastest one by far.... it will rip up both the Picco Boost and the N.21B....... The OFNA JL is actually a really fast engine and IMO the best built of the Taiwanese race engines....... I sell my modified OFNA JL 21 for $220.00 and you wont find any stock offroad engine that will touch it...
Old 08-26-2010, 02:17 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it were me, I'd get a modded engine from supertib, or an Alpha S852(cheap and a great rep..) Failing that, Jammin JPX 21, Werks B5, Go GXR 5-port. Hitec 7955* steering servo, and something faster for gas/throttle. Whatever radio floats your boat...

Servos are the main area IMO where you really need to spend the money.. There are cheaper engine and radio options out there that will get the job done well enough. Cheaper servos though will just die, so you WILL have to just buy new ones and end up spending more. The titanium Hitecs are as solid a bet as you'll find in RC.

* www.towerhobbies.com has a cheaper twin of the older 5955 for 90 bucks I think.. If you're ordering from tower anyway, and the price difference is THAT big, get that...
Old 08-26-2010, 02:45 PM
rc person 577

ORIGINAL: supertib

The second engine is the fastest one by far.... it will rip up both the Picco Boost and the N.21B....... The OFNA JL is actually a really fast engine and IMO the best built of the Taiwanese race engines....... I sell my modified OFNA JL 21 for $220.00 and you wont find any stock offroad engine that will touch it...
About how long will they last? like I said, I will get the track going strong with racer's therejust about the life of the engine is up, like 8-10 gallons. I think this is a great option, do you have a weebsite? I am trying to avoid getting the best engine and not race it until it's almost shot... also what pipe would you recomend for this engine?I have heard great things about your work too.

Thanks guys.

Edit: One more question, what would be a good buget engine? $150 or less...
Old 08-27-2010, 02:02 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want to really go cheap, I would recommend a Mach 427 with closed backplate for starterbox. The new Mach is no longer called a 427, but the "Mach 2 Truggy 26" or something. Normally about $130. Then $12 for the backplate or so. You CAN still find silver Machs on e-bay for cheap btw.

I raced/will maybe continue to race truggy and buggy with a silver Mach, and it was great. Good power and decent run time even, and dead easy to break in and keep a tune on - as "set-and-forget" an engine as there is. They even seem to live very long in my experience(8+ gallons no prob..) I prefer a bog-standard Losi RTR pipe with OS A5 plug. As with all SH engines, run them on the cool side for best performance and longevity.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:10 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: supertib

About how long will they last? like I said, I will get the track going strong with racer's therejust about the life of the engine is up, like 8-10 gallons. I think this is a great option, do you have a weebsite? I am trying to avoid getting the best engine and not race it until it's almost shot... also what pipe would you recomend for this engine? I have heard great things about your work too.

Thanks guys.

Edit: One more question, what would be a good buget engine? $150 or less...

The JL is capable of lasting 10 gallons....it likes many different pipes...JP-3 and Losi RE10 are its favored...... IMO there are no viable race engines at $150.00...i don't buy into using a RTR grade engine for a Truggy or Buggy, especially not when you can spend a few $ and get a true race engine...IMO that would be wasting money....

http://www.clockworkracingengines.com/