Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Truggy Video

Old 08-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truggy Video

Brought my camera with me today while I tried out my truggy.....Seems to run OK, but hangs a little on the high side....didnt mess with the tune too much, and I cant tell if its an engine problem or a diff issue.....can you hear it hanging? Other than that it started right up after 2 pulls, and temps stayed below 220 for the day. Got it geared at 15/62, and this is a k4.6 engine. Thanks for watching, and any advice is appreciated.....Im still a relative noob so Im sure tun is off.

http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/k...ent=Jammin.mp4
Old 08-28-2010, 08:59 AM
supertib

Default RE: Truggy Video

You got that geared way too high for the HP of that engine...drop down to a 13th bell and watch your performance go way up...........is that the modded 4.6 ?

just for reference here is a Picco on a 15th bell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svbaqFOW_5Q
Old 08-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Shenanigans

OK, well I chose the 15T bell because I was looking for top speed....but you are right I was dissapointed with the low end power.  I do still have the 13T though...Ill try that.  It is a modded 4.6.  
Old 08-28-2010, 09:37 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: Shenanigans

OK, well I chose the 15T bell because I was looking for top speed....but you are right I was dissapointed with the low end power. I do still have the 13T though...Ill try that. It is a modded 4.6.
unfortunately that engine has nowhere near enough power to pull that gearing... you are losing both bottom end and top speed...you can hear on top end the engine falls flat as it cannot pull the gear......You should see an improvement with a lower gear....but keep in mind a 4.6 is never going to be a great truggy engine, they just dont have the HP or RPM for the application.....However going back to a 13th bell will definitely give it a nice boost and make the machine more enjoyable....
Old 08-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Shenanigans

Thx for the advice bro....I figured the k4.6 wouldnt be a good truggy engine....or a great MT engine to think of it, but again...it was a project I wanted to do with my first nitro engine after a rebuild.  I think its definetely improved over where it was when I got into this hobby.  Got it used and had some battles with it....its what I learned on for the most part so I felt I had to get it running as best as I could..for a personal victory anyway.

Ill beat it up a little more with the 13T and upgrade to an Italian mill, so I may be looking your way   Thx again for the advice.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:51 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: Shenanigans

Thx for the advice bro....I figured the k4.6 wouldnt be a good truggy engine....or a great MT engine to think of it, but again...it was a project I wanted to do with my first nitro engine after a rebuild. I think its definetely improved over where it was when I got into this hobby. Got it used and had some battles with it....its what I learned on for the most part so I felt I had to get it running as best as I could..for a personal victory anyway.

Ill beat it up a little more with the 13T and upgrade to an Italian mill, so I may be looking your way Thx again for the advice.

No sweat ! i try my hardest to give good advice, but at the same not insult anyone in doing it......

your going to find that a Truggy is much more exposing of an engines performance then a MT...with the lack of a 2 speed a Truggy puts far more load on a engine and exposes an engines true performance capabilities.....You need great bottom end as well as a great top end as you don't have any 2 or 3 speed trannies to work with......A Truggy relies on an engines RPM capabilities to reach top speed..... An engine that may seem impressive in a Savage can be quite the dud when strapped into a Truggy......The LRP 30 is a prime example of this, in a Mt it seems quite good, but in a Truggy is a total dog....
Old 08-28-2010, 11:41 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The LRP 30 truggy version is pretty brutal.. Not for long straights maybe, but for tight tracks and short run-ups, it's an earth-eater.. Saw a sponsored Asso team driver racing with one once, and today I was at this monster & truggy event, and a guy had a Mugen 6T with the LRP 30, and it was brutal.. Never saw him really open it up, but for the short stuff it's got balls for sure.. With the LRP 30 truggy version though you're in a price bracket where yeah, I'd get something smaller and more all-around suitable.. IMO run-time is WAY overrated for club racing, so for me a good 25 or 26 is ideal for a truggy.. Or a monster modded 21 maybe.. I want the extra grunt, to compensate for my lack of set-up patience...(or willingness to buy umpteen new pipes and plugs, etc.. to get just the right match for whichever sensitive 21 engine..) Then again I did see a Kyosho ST-RR today with a Sirio Kanai 4 (supposedly lacking grunt, more a buggy engine..) and it had power and snap everywhere... Ah well - setup setup setup....
Old 08-28-2010, 12:02 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

The LRP 30 truggy version is pretty brutal.. Not for long straights maybe, but for tight tracks and short run-ups, it's an earth-eater.. Saw a sponsored Asso team driver racing with one once, and today I was at this monster & truggy event, and a guy had a Mugen 6T with the LRP 30, and it was brutal.. Never saw him really open it up, but for the short stuff it's got balls for sure.. With the LRP 30 truggy version though you're in a price bracket where yeah, I'd get something smaller and more all-around suitable.. IMO run-time is WAY overrated for club racing, so for me a good 25 or 26 is ideal for a truggy.. Or a monster modded 21 maybe.. I want the extra grunt, to compensate for my lack of set-up patience...(or willingness to buy umpteen new pipes and plugs, etc.. to get just the right match for whichever sensitive 21 engine..) Then again I did see a Kyosho ST-RR today with a Sirio Kanai 4 (supposedly lacking grunt, more a buggy engine..) and it had power and snap everywhere... Ah well - setup setup setup....

I think it really depends on the type of track your running on...The track we ran this weekend would have been decent for a LRP 30...it had a very short uphill straight and a very challenging short run tabletop that even the stoutest .21's would struggle to clear... The low RPM grunt of the 30 could definitely help on the short run tabletop and the straight was not long enough to show it weak top end..... Another time we ran on a smaller track that got hit pretty bad with rain...the surface turned to sticky mud and the .21 would struggle to break out of the corners...a big 30 would sling that muck much easier then a .21... However with that being said with the type of running we usually do, the race engines are our only real option...A mach,LRP etc. just do not have the powerband and stability to be competitive...well i guess you could still be competitive, but you'd be leaving alot potential on the table..... But it all depends on the track,conditions and skill level of the driver......