Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Truggy engine tuning question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Truggy engine tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:28 AM
pilottype

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truggy engine tuning question

I have an Exceed-RC Battalian Truggy with the standard .21 engine in it. I can get it to idle and run somewhat. It will stall during acceleration and is slow to accelerate. I have basic knowledge of the various needles for this engine, but I can't quite seem to get it right. It'll start, and run to full speed with slow acceleration. It may do this two or three times before it'll just stall out either during acceleration or upon stopping.

Any help would be appreciated,
Pilottype
Old 09-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Chris79

Default RE: Truggy engine tuning question

IMOit sounds like your too rich on both needles. First try to lean out the low speed about 1/4 turn. If you lean it out too much and the wheels start to spin, richen it up untill the wheels stop spinning on their own.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:14 PM
pilottype

ORIGINAL: Chris79

IMO it sounds like your too rich on both needles. First try to lean out the low speed about 1/4 turn. If you lean it out too much and the wheels start to spin, richen it up untill the wheels stop spinning on their own.
OK...got the thing running pretty well, ran it for about a half a tank, and now it won't accelerate from idle. The "pinch test" shows it running too rich...slow increase in RPM and then it dies. I'm going to try adjusting the high speed needle to see if that helps. I also took it to my local RC shop and replaced the clutch bearings and all four tires. All I need to do is get it running reliably!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:37 PM
D.DJ

I hope those bearings needed replacing! First thing to tune is by getting high-speed passes down. If its blowing heaps of smoke, the HSN is too rich, so screw it in clockwise 1/8 of a turn until you get the best speeds possible. If you start adjusting the low-end before the high-speed needle, then if you are too rich on top and lean it out, the low-end will follow and start saying its too lean. So start from the top and go from there. HSN -> LSN -> idle gap. Idle should be between 0.4mm and 0.7mm wide, usually around 0.5mm is where it should be at.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:43 PM
xxxnt236
My Feedback: (1)

do the pinch test like you do and then find a good place for your hsn. if it stalls out lean it out a little on lsn or open up the idle gap.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:31 AM
pilottype

DDJ, I think I did it exactly as you said not to do it. And yes, the bearings needed to be replaced - I was probably one or two runs away from uncontained failure. Anyway, I got the low end good (it launched well) but then stagnated mid - high. I then dialed in the high, ran it for a tank of gas, filled it again, and the thing would barely start. WELL, long story short (and this part's for the person who suggested the pinch test) I have the thing up and running pretty well now. I used the pinch test method, and that worked very well.

My son's other major RC is a Traxxas Bandit VXL, no LiPo's yet, but maybe some day. We had a Truggy vs. Bandit test, and whereas the Truggy was running in peak condition, it created no competition for the VXL. The Truggy was really the first complicated RC we ever bought. I enjoy tinkering with it and making it run, but I have to say that from here on out, we're probably going brushless electric.

Thanks to all who responded I used all of the advice.

Pilottype