Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

engine for 1/8 truggy

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 05:18 PM
razorjack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine for 1/8 truggy

Hi !
I'm searching for an engine for my truggy.
SH engines are quite cheap, but they drunk a lot of fuel (i heard from everywhere).
I guess that SH 4.6 p6 or p8 it's even to much power for my skills

What about SH 4.6 p3 ? (It cost in my area ~109$), i guess it has plenty of power for my needs (I'm truggy beginner) (i heard than engines with less ports have better low/mid range (more torque))
What about thirst in this engine?
Maybe another engine ?
Old 09-12-2010, 07:15 PM
jmaxey51

Default RE: engine for 1/8 truggy

ORIGINAL: razorjack

Hi !
I'm searching for an engine for my truggy.
SH engines are quite cheap, but they drunk a lot of fuel (i heard from everywhere).
I guess that SH 4.6 p6 or p8 it's even to much power for my skills

What about SH 4.6 p3 ? (It cost in my area ~109$), i guess it has plenty of power for my needs (I'm truggy beginner) (i heard than engines with less ports have better low/mid range (more torque))
What about thirst in this engine?
Maybe another engine ?
SH are some good engines, they dont drink the fuel that bad, about average. people just think they do because they do suck the fuel for about 2 gallons then youll get 8 min easy (this was the case with one of your SH 28) and almost everyone that has an SH can get 8 min easy. thats not bad. youll get about 6 min until about the 2nd gallon is done. SH engines will last pretty long too.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:04 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you racing in organized races, or more messing around? Do you want a turbo engine, or standard, startbox or what? There are a ton of options.. Can you order from Germany? The cheapest, best "pure-bred" type race engine available here is probably an Alpha Plus S852 or Z852 at www.buggy-land.de or www.warda-modellbau.de . They also both have the Alpha 28 for the same price - all three are €159. Those engines though are turbo, have a lot of pinch, will require a strong startbox and preheating before starting, turbo plugs, and have a narrower tuning window than an SH engine.

www.hk-nitroshop.de also has great prices - an LRP Spec 3 28 pullstart for €110 last I checked..

A Go GXR 5-port is also a good truggy racing engine.

So basically, you can get a cheap SH 28 in the €100 range, which will be easy to tune and break in, not require a matched pipe, etc.. Or you can get a more race-only type of engine for probably more like €200 including a matched pipe and a couple of turbo plugs.. There are a lot of options.

If you're really on a budget and aren't racing at a high level, my advice would be a silver Mach 427 with closed backplate (part number DYN0960 ), cheap Losi RTR pipe, and OS A5 plugs with %25 fuel. If you can't find a silver Losi Mach 427, get the new Dynamite 26 Mach 2 "Truggy" engine. The same backplate will fit. www.amainhobbies.com with the discount, or www.overdriverc.com probably have the best prices . Ebay.com also has them.. Should be able to get them for $120.., plus 10 bucks or so for the backplate..

I raced exactly that Mach 427(with Fioroni sliding clutch..) engine setup on our smallish tracks and was getting ten minutes to a tank pretty regularly. I could comfortably put off my pit stops a lap or two longer than the guys with VSPECs, etc..
Old 09-13-2010, 05:22 AM
razorjack

thanks for comprehensive info, guys !

As I said, i'm a beginner and next local competition races will be next year's spring.
So i'm thinking about something cheap and easy to maintan(I can buy newer, stronger engine next year, when my skill progress)

I can get sh 4.6p3 for ~85euro or sh 4.6p6 for ~115euro in my local shop. (i guess that sh 4.6p8 it's just too much for my needs and skills, maybe p6 even too?)

Old 09-13-2010, 08:47 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For getting started, learning to tune, etc..(not to mention all the other stuff you have to get your head around for racing..), either of those SH engines will do...
Old 09-24-2010, 08:38 PM
1nitrohead
My Feedback: (1)

I dont understand why anyone would buy a .28 for truggy? ONLY advantage is low end grunt and they are cheap to buy. A .21 will do almost anything a .28 will and you will use less fuel. when it comes to racing ... absoluetly no advantage, in fact in less trained hands it will hurt more than help ... too much power and tires spin which means less control and less forward motion.