RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Truggy (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-truggy-399/)
-   -   8ight-t kit vs RTR (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-truggy-399/10616315-8ight-t-kit-vs-rtr.html)

sparky660 07-11-2011 10:02 AM

8ight-t kit vs RTR

I have decided to get the 8ight-t instead of the Xray as it seems that parts are hard to come by for the XT8. Now I have to decide to get the kit or the RTR. Ineed everything for a truggy and am leaning towards to RTR because it comes with the starter box and all the goodies. My question is what is the difference between the kit and the RTR when it comes to the performance parts.Does the kit come with a bunch of hop-up parts thatthe RTR doesn't?

Chucksolo69 07-11-2011 01:09 PM

RE: 8ight-t kit vs RTR

If the Losi Ten T is any indication, and Ihave seen the 8ight-T at my LHS, the car is hopped up right out of the box. My Ten T has very little need for hopups as all the aluminum parts are already on it as well as a trick radio, Spektrum DX3S. I believe it is the same radio that comes with the 8ight-T RTR.

albuquerqueNitro 07-12-2011 09:00 AM

Are you talking about the 8T 2.0? If so, the RTR is no comparison on the track as compared to the kit or Race Roller! The servos on the RTR are crap, the engine is okay, but, compared to an O.S. or Works or Novarossi or something, the stock engine just doesnt compare... Also, the chasis on the RTR doesn't compare to the Tuned Flex Chasis on the kit/race roller either and the tuned flex chasis will give you 10x better handling... The cheapest ive seen the RTR's going for on E-Bay is $799.. The cheapest ive seen the Race Rollers going for on E-Bay $450.... My recommendation is to not be in such a hurry that you cut yourself short in the long run! Buy an 8T 2.0 and just save up and build it up according to exactly what you want and while your saving up, be doing your research on which engines, servos ect. that way you make the right choices the first time around...

esavagenoobie 07-12-2011 09:09 AM

Get a kit, you can dial it in better to your track needs then a OEM outa the box truck. The 8t line is simply amazing, how durrable they are. I hit a pole the other day (doh) and i only stripped a spur, i was doing 40+ mph and clipped it on my arm, their is a gash in the arm, but thats all. Its amazing!

sparky660 07-12-2011 12:09 PM

Thanks for the help people. Ididn't know that the chassis was different. That alone has made my mind up to go with the kit. Iwill be going to my LHS(which is 2 hours away now) and see what they have in stock.

esavagenoobie 07-12-2011 01:50 PM

Call them first maybe?

Foxy 07-13-2011 03:17 AM

Hm...Losi over Xray is an odd decision (if you losi owners think differently, that's great, I don't want to hear about it. I've owned 8 Xray cars and can assure you they are the pinnacle of the hobby)...as for parts...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...ds=xt8&x=0&y=0

Besides... 8 Xrays, 3 of them raced, I have needed 3 parts (exclusing consumables like bearing, belt, clutches etc) TOTAL! EVER! A front lower a-arm for my XB8 due to my poor driving (drove full tilt into a car tire), lower spring stay (popped off on the track, never did find it) on my NT1, and a bumper for the NT1 due to a loss of signal incident (and the Associated I hit came off much, much worse :p)

They just don't break.

sparky660 07-26-2011 08:44 PM

Iwas dead set on buying the Xray but the parts support seems to be not as strong as the Team Losi. My closest hobby shop is 2 hours away and will have to mail order everything so in reality it doesn't matter really, I am not bashingLosi but the Xray just seems to be a better built machine. The problem with my assesment is that Ihave only seen a XT8 in person and have only seen pictures of the 8ight-t on the internet. If most of you were deciding on which machine to get which way would you go if parts support was being equal. Please remember that Iam just breaking into the racing scene. Iwant a machine that Ican buy once and race it for a few years so spending the extra money to get Iwant isnt a real concern.

Eman77 07-27-2011 05:35 AM

As for parts support, I guess ultimately it's up to you. In my situation, I really don't have an LHS (I had a halfway decent one that closed), so I'm an all online parts person anyway. So "support" for me really means "does someone sell a good amount online".

In my case, AMain has great parts support for the Tamiya truggy I own, Xray if I had one, etc.

For you, I'm not sure how convenient a 2 hour drive is to the LHS, but if that works for you, maybe parts support would sway your decision more than the product brand (Losi vs. Xray). That said, I've always heard good things about Xray, and Foxy above has great firsthand experience, so I'd be willing to go that route if I were in your shoes.

Actually, you even mentioned that you'd be buying parts online anyway.....go for the Xray. [8D]

romax 07-27-2011 10:04 AM

Are you planning on racing? if so i would recommend going to the local track and seeing what is more popular there. that way you can prob. get help with setup/ tuning and if you do break chances are higher someone may have a spare part if you don't.

sparky660 07-27-2011 10:09 AM

ORIGINAL: romax

Are you planning on racing? if so i would recommend going to the local track and seeing what is more popular there. that way you can prob. get help with setup/ tuning and if you do break chances are higher someone may have a spare part if you don't.
That is a good idea. I am planning on racing it so will go to the track in Saskatoon and Edmonton to see what the others are racing. That way Ican also get a feel for the parts support from my fellow racers.

jmaxey51 07-27-2011 10:27 AM

ORIGINAL: sparky660

ORIGINAL: romax

That is a good idea. I am planning on racing it so will go to the track in Saskatoon and Edmonton to see what the others are racing. That way Ican also get a feel for the parts support from my fellow racers.
also when you go, ask questions to the racers. most of the people will be happy to answer questions. thats what i did when i started and it helps alot. most racers are more than willing to help.
<br type="_moz" />