RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Truggy (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-truggy-399/)
-   -   ]§[ Official Team VTX ST1 Thread ]§[ (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-truggy-399/5200537-%5D%C2%A7%5B-official-team-vtx-st1-thread-%5D%C2%A7%5B.html)

bigbadbowtie 01-11-2007 12:31 PM

RE: ]§[ Official Team VTX ST1 Thread ]§[

no doubt..... why no go with a traditional setup.

Off the wall stuff like that is what turns people away. That just my opinion.....

ThunderbirdJunkie 01-11-2007 12:49 PM

I agree...but it also shows a bit of laziness on the manufacturer's part in NOT gearing the thing down at the diffs, because IIRC that's a TEN TOOTH clutchbell, obviously to compensate for the bigger-than-the-buggy's tires

gwaller 01-11-2007 01:15 PM

It is some what of a strange design, but we do have a lower CG with the 11 tooth bell. Our spur gear is 49 teeth, where like on a jammin the spur is sixty something. That diff is a lot higher off the chassis then ours. Our engines are made by Go Racing, Team VTX and Vertex engines are not the same company totally different.

Thanks
Greg Waller
Team VTX

gwaller 01-11-2007 01:32 PM

I have ran the truggy with the stock towers and i have not bent one of them yet. As for the engines we have, i have had very good feed back on them. Ours run good in the cars and remember it is an RTR engine not a 400 dollar race engine. I noticed that the .26 motors do run better with a novarossi plug using 2 glow plug washers. I have had a complaint that 2 engines blew up, well they didnt. The engines sucked dirt due to a dirty air filter and not much oil on the element. In all of our instructions it says "Always run engine with a clean oiled air filter"
Also, Team VTX has not one thing to do with Himoto, our cars have been out since October/November of 2006.
We are working on some great ideas for our cars and it will be interesting to see what new things we will have on the horizon.

Thanks
Greg Waller
Team VTX
[email protected]

MBX5T Maniac 01-11-2007 04:03 PM

It may be so for the CRT, but not on the Mugen

tech5 01-11-2007 04:41 PM

I agree with Greg, I have 2 solid months on my truggy and I have to admit that the shock towers are good. I have put this truck through the ringer on the track. I also see that if you drive your truggy under a car at full throttle you are probably gonna have some bent towers. The engine is great for the price and holds a tune while producing good power. I know that some of you may me skeptical about this truck but really now, this truck is sub 400 dollar rtr. I know personally that VTX is working on some race quality vehicles in the future. This truck can be taken to the track box stock and run good! The issues that are being talked about here are good points for sure. I know that they have aftermarket shock towers and other goodies just like the other rtr truggies on the market and it is really nice stuff that is priced right! Think about this.... Does Jay go on the jammin forums? Does Kris go on mugen and so on and so forth. Those other trucks are also very good and work excellent But on this forum we have a direct link to the manufacturer and Greg is always open to ideas or input you may have on the product that he is affiliated with. Think about it you can ask for all those cool ideas you have and see if maybe they might make it onto the next YOUR NAME HERE pro model by VTX. MY 2 CENTS.:D

bigbadbowtie 01-11-2007 05:17 PM

By no means am I bashing the truck. I like it.... I personally get tired of seeing the same thing at the track week after week. My plan is to run a truggy next year(if they ever finish the track). If they decide to do a kit version or one less electronics/engine, Ill be in line.

I do see the idea behind the small bell now. Makes sense.

I will also add that its pretty standup for the company to visit the forums.

Kemo 01-11-2007 08:23 PM

not to mention, you also have drivers viewing the forums to share tips with what we have done to better the truck.

Mine is supposed to show up monday :D

ThunderbirdJunkie 01-11-2007 11:12 PM

ORIGINAL: gwaller

It is some what of a strange design, but we do have a lower CG with the 11 tooth bell. Our spur gear is 49 teeth, where like on a jammin the spur is sixty something. That diff is a lot higher off the chassis then ours. Our engines are made by Go Racing, Team VTX and Vertex engines are not the same company totally different.

Thanks
Greg Waller
Team VTX
Greg...by no means am I trying to down your product, however...

you may have a lower CG with the 11t bell, but you could have the SAME CG with a 14t bell that won't stress the bearings as much if you went down to a 10t pinion in the diffs like the other modern truggies have done. I, personally, just feel that you could have opened the door to using more standardized parts so potential customers could use parts that are already in their parts boxes, instead of having to buy special stuff just because you decide to use an oddball clutchbell.

itspat2 01-12-2007 11:36 AM

Update:

Installed a 5-cell hump pack and switch with y harness last night. Extremely tight fit due to the larger JR 135 receiver. May look for a Novak XXL on ebay.

Heat cycled the engine last night. So far, so good. 7.2 V battery in torque starter does not last very long. Fortunately, I have two. Also I will make sure we take the starter box when we hit the track.

Thanks to Tech5 and gwaller for all their help thus far. I think it's important to note that we understand that this is a RTR, not a pro edition kit. Having raced on road 1/8th & 1/10 scale for a number of years, I know the difference. In essence, we paid about 1/2 for this RTR than what it would cost for a pro kit. Then add in the engine and electronics and your easily over $1,000(That's what I'm looking at if I get the Losi Truggy for myself). It seems that some folks don't quite understand the difference and are critical that these RTR's don't quite have the caliper of parts that a pro kit would have. As Tech5 stated, you will pay more for a race engine than this entire package. Our expectations are that this will be a fun Truggy to take out to the track or bash around when we go out mx riding.

Will post update this weekend if weather permits.

gwaller 01-12-2007 01:31 PM

I am not trying to bash on anyone or anything. I like to help where I can and I am open to ideas that people have.
The ST1 is an RTR and comparing it to a mugen race truggy wouldnt be totally fair. I do know about our current gearing and we are going through the steps to get it changed for our race truggy. Here is the gearing for the truggies that i know.
Truggy Bell Spur Ring Pinon
VTX 11 49 38 11
Mugen 13 46 46 10
Kyosho (?) 13 50 43 10
Jammin 13 63/65? ? ?
If anyone has any updates to this gearing information, please let me know. Thanks
I am working on a race version of the ST1 and so far so good.

Thanks,
Greg Waller
Team VTX
[email protected]

ThunderbirdJunkie 01-12-2007 02:10 PM

Greg...my biggest concern isn't so much the SIZE of the clutchbell, but it's mostly how long it is. looks to me like it'd put almost all the load on the front bearing and nothing on the rear...is there any particular reason you did this?

BTW, the Jammin X1CRT is 13 and 43 teeth on the ring and pinion i believe

gwaller 01-12-2007 02:41 PM

On the stock clutch bell, two 5 x 10 bearings go in from the inside and there is a bushing that goes in the end of the bell with the teeth that rides between the shaft and bell to help with the load and keep it straight. I still haven't broke one yet. Also the fit is not super tight on the bushing, so that way it will not heat up and bind.

Thanks for the info on the gears.

ThunderbirdJunkie 01-12-2007 03:12 PM

ok, I'm glad there IS at least some extra reinforcement in there. I know the Himoto/Redcat 1/8 truck doesn't have anything in the end of the CB, and where the pinion on the CB is is about 5mm past the end of the crank and the bearing (which is why they tear up CB bearings)

thanks for the info:)

bigbadbowtie 01-12-2007 03:24 PM

gwaller... Keep us updated on the race version. I'm VERY interested.

Kemo 01-13-2007 05:42 PM

it could be quite some time from now. stop by the thread more often to see what we are runnin on our trucks. for all we know, it could end up on a pro version.

MBX5T Maniac 01-13-2007 06:05 PM

Kemo, did you get your truck yet? I wanna hear the results.

And as far as the bushing in the clutch bell, could it be replaced with a steel bearing, which would be stronger?

Kemo 01-13-2007 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Kemo

Mine is supposed to show up monday :D

MBX5T Maniac 01-13-2007 10:00 PM

Sweet. We want pics

Kemo 01-13-2007 10:05 PM

how many times are you going to change your name? First rustler 08, then mayhem maniac, now mbx5t maniac....

annie_himself 01-13-2007 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Kemo

how many times are you going to change your name? First rustler 08, then mayhem maniac, now mbx5t maniac....
Next it'll be I love Kemo, oops. [:-]Thats a secret..lol. JK

Kemo 01-13-2007 10:25 PM

oh come on now, we know your secret too ;)

in case you actually do have a secret you do not want to share... i had no intentions to poke fun at it.

MBX5T Maniac 01-13-2007 11:50 PM

Kemo, I've been mayhem maniac for 2+ years. I was rustler08 for a year. It's time for a change.

fourwheels0 01-14-2007 12:22 AM

ya i'd say it's time for a change. here try this. post some info that's useable to people.

ThunderbirdJunkie 01-14-2007 01:00 AM

mayhem/rustler08/mbx5t/i love kemo (didn't you also get in trouble for cloning studysessions name too? lol)

the bushing int he end of the CB i'm guessing is similar to what HPI uses in the Savage. I'm guessing, because I haven't seen oen of these trucks in person. My entire issue though is why on earth is the CB the wya it is, instead of a standard shorter buggy-style clutchbell...that's my concern, since Greg has graciously answered my other questions and removed any other concerns about the truck that I had previously.