RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Truggy (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-truggy-399/)
-   -   Which truggy would be best for bashing?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-truggy-399/6049265-truggy-would-best-bashing.html)

HerrSavage 06-28-2007 11:45 PM

Which truggy would be best for bashing??

OK OK I might want to try a truggy at some point this summer(IF I can sell my Lightning GT...)

Thing is, where I live there are NO tracks, so it would only be for bashing - hopefully for huge air.. I currently only have a small ramp, but if I prop it up on something and it hit at WOT it can get up there OK... A couple guys around here also like to hit some local gravel-pits, and that's awfully hard on a truck....

I would want something not too crazy expensive. I would probably also be putting some MT tires on it - and probably the Axial 28RR out of my LGT(assuming I can ever get it tuned..)

I also have to think about what's available here in Germany and for what prices...

New, for German prices the cheapest option would be the Thunder Tiger ST-1 - which I have heard lot of good stuff about. If I were to go that route, what upgrades would be recommended for making it a basher?? What about the Pro Kit - worth it? I wouldn't be opposed to a kit, as I have this Axial RR anyway, and already a decent radio and steering servo from the LGT...

If the Hellfire SS came up again like before at Tower for a good price I might consider that too...

The GS SUT BTW is the same price here as the TT ST-1...

The Robitronic Mantis is just a tad more expensive, but seems pretty popular here..

Those four - TT ST1(RTR or Pro), Hellfire SS, Robo Mantis, or GS SUT are all about €400-€420 here in Germany, and parts should be obtainable. The Mugen would be my dream-truggy I guess, cuz I hear it's the toughest, but it's simply too expensive. The Muggy would be interesting as well(to go with my LST2..) - but also way too expensive here.

Another option would maybe be to order a cheapo LSP Pro from Amain or whatever.. That would probably be best price-wise - but what about part supply in the future??

I guess after all this "thinking out loud" a kit would maybe be preferable - but if the price were right I'd take an RTR..

Anyway, I'm getting that "need a new truck" itch, so any input would be appreciated....

CrazyMento 06-29-2007 12:07 AM

RE: Which truggy would be best for bashing??

Matrix TR Arena.. Done

HerrSavage 06-29-2007 03:05 AM

Why - is it really TOUGH??

Coopz 06-29-2007 03:36 AM

Not really but its one of the better RTR's.

HerrSavage 06-29-2007 03:38 AM

I'd rather have MORE TOUGH than RTR.. I see the Matrix Pro kit here costs €399 - same for ex as the TT ST-1 RTR or GS SUT...

Toughness and a decent price are the primary factors...

sfar785 06-29-2007 06:47 AM

TL Muggy...great for racing and bashing. You could also get the 17mm hub conversion and run smaller truggy tires.

HerrSavage 06-29-2007 07:04 AM

The Muggy angle would make sense cuz I already have the LST2... Are many parts interchangeable??(I know, I could search that....)

dan attwater 06-29-2007 07:51 AM

hows about the hb lightning stadium truggy series????? i have the stadium pro and it hasnt let me down yet!!!!

HerrSavage 06-29-2007 07:52 AM

If I could make this LGT significantly faster than it's even been before, then that would be the best option. In general I like the truck - it's big and simple and tough. It's just always been too slow.

There are a couple LSP chop-shops though, so I could just beef it up as is and save a lot of money.. I seem to have bad luck though getting any speed out of it.. I guess I could also just throw a center-diff in it too??

But the way it stands now, the front diff cups are on the verge of falling off, the diffs themselves ?? - no idea... So I'd be looking at like €200 to get a bunch of LSP parts - diffs, alu arms, shocks, alu-spindles/carriers, etc...

Whereas if I could sell it for €150(which I'm currently trying to do, so far without luck.......) without the engine and servos, then I could buy for ex the ST-1 Pro kit for €400 - so, a net price of €250. Then I just need a receiver and have 1.) a fun project to build a kit, and 2.) a brand new awesome truck with lots of tuning parts....

The smartest thing to do would be to just sell it and stash the moneny, cuz an LST2 and Savage are enough.. But come on , we all know what that new truck feel is like, and I think I got the itch....

supertib 06-29-2007 01:28 PM

For durability reasons i strongly recomend getting a Pro-Kit of some sort.. The quality of materials used in the pro-kits do make them more durable.. The best bashing truggy overall IMO is the Jammin CRT Pro, the way its suspension works with the weight balance is excelent for bashing. As well the CRT is rock solid and has been the most durable RC i have owned. My second choice for bashing is the CEN Matrix TR FTE, i have one of these and its extrmely durable and well built. I have a Mugen 5T as well and they are aso a decent basher, but so far havent proven to be as durable as the CEN and CRT... I have ripped the arms off the Mugen several times already....

HerrSavage 06-29-2007 01:48 PM

Well, I just went out with the LGT again to see if I could get this Axial 28RR running right, and suddenly it started shredding the place up...

So I don't know - if this engine is starting to come into its own, plus the fact that I'm not getting anywhere trying to sell the LGT, then maybe it just makes the most sense to keep it and beef it up as best as I can.. To be honest I've been quite satisfied with its durability and toughness so far..

Anyway, I'm looking for some LSP chop-shops, and would like to put together a list of sensible parts to get.

If anybody could suggest one, I'd appreciate it..

Right now I need 2x diffs, 2x steering knuckles, then what??

The two big question marks seem to be:

1.) alu arms - yay or nay?? I hear conflicting things....

2.) shocks?? One of mine is bent... Are the LSP shocks that much better than normal ole' Lightning shocks???

Then, what else??

I don't want it to be a bling queen - just to be able to stay in one piece and take a reasonable beating and be as low-maintenance as possible...

As for the idea of getting a bash truggy, it's still something I'd like to find out more about and maybe get down the line, but for the moment it seems to make more sense to keep the LGT and just beef it up.....

Here's what my front cups look like after two more tanks today...

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...reddedCups.jpg

RcRacer37E 06-29-2007 02:45 PM

The hot bodies lsp is a tuff *** truck and can take a pounding all day long, however, it weighs a ton. Mine was great, only busted the ends of the shocks, but found that the revo aluminum shock end work and that solved that issue.
My mbx5t is also a very durable truggy and weighs half what the lsp does (maybe not half, but close). Lighter truggy bigger air, but it will set you back about 800 bucks just to get it running, and thats for cheap servos and engine. Mine cost well over a grand but is used only for racing.
You made a good point, youll need a truggy that you can get parts for easily their in Germany, rather it be a matrix, lsp, losi or mugen.
Might also think of the cost in replacement parts, some truggy parts cost 2 even 3 times the price of another truggys part. Say 10 bucks for a a-arm for one truggy were as another truggys a-arm might cost you 20 bucks.
Of the truggys Ive owned, the lsp has to be the tuffest with the mugen a close second.

HerrSavage 06-29-2007 02:58 PM

Well the LGT is pretty much a standard Stadium RTR.. So which parts from the LSP would be the best to get??

What's your take on alu A-arm debate??

HerrSavage 06-29-2007 03:47 PM

Just saw - I'm looking at ordering like 200 bucks in LSP parts, but the whole kit costs 280...

Shipping though is a bxxxx... Anyway, would still love to hear which LSP parts would be the most crucial for bashing and durability...

RcRacer37E 06-29-2007 07:03 PM

LSP has the aluminum a-arm, check ebay, I picked mine up last year for 400 bucks, came with 2 os .21rg engines and ofna chrome top starter box, couple sets of tires and other misc parts. All it needed was a charge on the batteries and fuel and it was rtr.
The aluminum parts are heavy, but strong. Only draw back, if they bend, they are junk and will need to be replaced. Mine took some insane hits and kept right on going. I ran it for a year and never bent any of them.
If I was going to just bash and bash hard, LSP would be the way to go. Just get a super strong steering servo.

Baja5BLST 06-29-2007 10:06 PM

Jammin's are extremely tough. Just ask Supertib.

Coopz 07-01-2007 03:05 AM

LSP's are strong but they have a few weak spots, the diff covers are plastic, I collected a stalled Losi 8 on the straight last week, destroyed the buggy but I broke the diff cover. Its a $10 part but takes a few hours to replace, whole front end needs to be taken apart. A mate has broken his many times, IMO its the only weak part other than the hub cover (which is upgradeable)

biggy boy 07-02-2007 09:15 PM

Hi seeing as you are already looking at the GS Racing SUT, what about the GS Racing XUT it's newer and lighter and handles better then the SUT.

Here's mine

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...oy/xutmini.jpg

[link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php?cPath=1_44_50&sort=2a&filter_id=97]XUT at Amain.com[/link]

Glen

HerrSavage 07-05-2007 07:01 AM

How come nobody mentioned the Muggy??

Yesterday the rear diff finally went in the LGT(surprised it wasn't the front first...)

Anyway, I have a whole wall full of LST2 tuning stuff I haven't put on the LST2 - and so far don't want to.. RPM arms for ex...

Assuming those parts would work on the Muggy, then a Muggy would be a sensible option, or??

The main problem here would be finding one at all, let alone at a sane price......

Could always try to track somebody down State-side willing to ship a Muggy roller to Germany..(even if shipping cost $75 it'd be worth it compared to German prices, and as I said, Muggy's aren't even out here yet.....)

Foxy 07-05-2007 12:10 PM

Cos it's a hybrid, not a truggy, not a monster. How come nobody mentioned the Xray, they make some of the toughest cars on the market, I've rolled my NT1 at 60mph, no damage at all, not even a setup change, and that's a TOURING car. My XB8 has had only one breakge in two years, one upper arm. Seriously, you're in europe, there's plenty of support, why not look at the [link=http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/products/proddesc.php?prod_id=1974&kategoria=0&catName=XRAY %20XT8]XT8[/link] (in my opinion, THE car to own right now)?

Aluminium arms are for bling by the way, they won't make youtruggy tougher, they'll break it more easily.

HerrSavage 07-05-2007 12:12 PM

Those new X-ray truggies cost a fortune though, don't they??

I want a budget truggy basher that won't need a lot of TLC and will just keep going... I'm still not sure that the ole' Lightning LSP wouldn't be the best bet.. It's so cheap too...

Foxy 07-05-2007 12:18 PM

Define 'a fortune'. lol!

No, they don't cost a fortune, but they are a top of the line racing vehicle, so, yeh, gonna be a LOT more than the LSP, that's for sure.

HerrSavage 07-05-2007 12:25 PM

I'm really only in the market for something cheap.. I got my LGT for cheap, beat the crap out of it, and now I can move on to something else.. Basically, the more expensive the truck, the more reluctant I am to bash the cra.p out of it... And what I want here is something that I don't have to mess with a lot.. Seems backwards I know, but my MT's are kinda' my prima-donnas, and the LGT was always the cheap thing that I knew would run that I could take somewhere and just thrash the c.rap out of without really caring what happened to it.. - mostly cuz I knew all along that I got it for a good deal.. I defo want to bash my MT's hard, and go for the big air, etc.. - but I CARE about what I'm doing - if that makes any sense... A truggy for me would just be something simple to thrash around... I know it's totally backwards compared to what most people think - but it makes sense to me...

So yeah, cheap and tough is what I'm after..

Is the LSP really SSSOOO bad - for bashing?? Or is just that it's not as cool for racing or whatever??

HerrSavage 07-06-2007 09:36 AM

Why has nobody really mentioned the Losi Muggy??

That's what I ended up getting, BTW.. Used roller for a good price..

Now just need to figure out if I can mount the Axial RR in it, even though it's set up for bumpstart(and of course, to get the Axial running right...) New clutch too I think..

Also, need a good bashing tire/rim combo..

Anyway, wouldn't a Muggy, apparently by many considered somewhere between MT and truggy, be a good bashing truggy???

JSRacer 07-06-2007 04:10 PM

IMO the Muggy is a perfect basher. It's tough as nails and actually handles better than expected. Much better than the LST2, which IMO handles better than any other MT out there. You could race it if you wanted. I have a Mugen X5T and it's much better than the Muggy on the track though. But for bashing, the Muggy is a great choice. You'll have a great time with it. Don't be frustrated by the clutch issue. Order the Fioroni clutch, downsize your tires, and get a vent 12t clutchbell and you'll have no worries for gallons. Let us know what you think! :D