RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Truggy (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-truggy-399/)
-   -   trinity adam drake .28 vs lrp .28 spec3 truggy (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-truggy-399/6523923-trinity-adam-drake-28-vs-lrp-28-spec3-truggy.html)

beto86 10-22-2007 02:54 PM

trinity adam drake .28 vs lrp .28 spec3 truggy

wich of the two do u guys think is a better engine. if u have any other engines in mind its gonna be going in an 8ight t my limit is $250 thanks

The Winner 10-22-2007 03:02 PM

RE: trinity adam drake .28 vs lrp .28 spec3 truggy

+1 to lrp!

jombo 10-22-2007 03:13 PM

lrp28, or the xtm 457, their both around the same price and very easy to tune.

beto86 10-22-2007 11:41 PM

anyone else

coololdude 10-23-2007 02:55 AM

Hands down the LRP Z28R Spec3 Truggy........and running it in your 8ight-T you'll want to run a 15 tooth cb and also the 8.5 venturi.It runs awsome like this and with the 8.5 venturi you'll get a little more time on your tank. and it make it so smooth in the technical parts of the track. and this is with out any loss of top end[8D]

ttoks 10-23-2007 04:09 AM

another one to the LRP.

supertib 10-23-2007 09:59 AM

ORIGINAL: ttoks

another one to the LRP.
yes but none of these guys have ever run the Drake or know anything about it.so how can they offer an opinion comparing these 2 motors......so their votes mean nothing....I see the term "hands down" being used and it makes me laugh......... line your Spec 3 side by side with the Drake and "hands Down" the Spec 3 will be sucking dust..... the Drake is a faster more powerful better built engine

a Drake is a lightly tweaked Picco P3 28 FTT....it makes huge power .....anyways IMHO people shouldnt offer opinions unless they know whatthey are talking about.... unl;ess you have personaly run the "Drake" you really have no grounds to compare these two motors...

supertib 10-23-2007 10:05 AM

also for $250.00 i'd be cnsidering the purpose of this motor...are ya racing or bashing......... if your racing both the Spec 3 and the "Drake" are pretty useless...way too much bottom end and not nearly enough top end, as well both motors have terrible run times for race duty.............. If your racing a good .21 will lay the smackdown pretty hard on both these mills.... not only will a .21 outrun the 28's on the straights but it will also get much better mileage............... the only place the 28's will pull thee 21 is in the low end, but unfortunately on a track with track tires you will never get enough traction to actualy use a 28's low end.......the only 28's worth putting in a truggy are a Ninja 28< radical 28, or a OS 28..... if not these 3 your better to run a good 21............. a Picco P7 EVO2 .21 or example is a $230.00 motor and it lay a serious hurting on a Spec 3, down the back staraight a Spec 3 will look like its in reverse next to a EVO 2......If you want to pull wheelies a Spec 3 and a Drake will do well, but if you want to go fast look to a race motor like a EVO 2

jaywax 10-23-2007 11:07 AM

It depends on the design of your track. Our local track owner stop making tracks with "long straights". It is more technical and has a lot of jumps coming out of tight turns, so you need the low end power rather than top end. Guys are running .28's & .21's with low end pipes and 13t clutch bells for that reason. I run a LRP Spec 3 w/dynamite 007 ht pipe and 13t clutch bell. Also, we run a wet track unless it is an sanctioned ROAR Race. This combo works well for me and a lot of other guys. All the engines discussed are good engines, just use the one that best fits your budget, track and driving style. Hell, I saw a guy three weeks ago win a State Invitational Race in 1/8 Expert buggy (A main) with an OS .18TZ in his Losi 8. Yes, I did say .18TZ. That race featured TX's top racers including "Mike Battaile". Too many people get caught in dyno tests, mods, and high prices and forget the fact that "DRIVING" wins races.Choose the engine that you feel most comfortable with and hit the track.

Here are the results from the Invitational Race in 1/8 Expert A main to validate claim. Chris Allison runs a .18TZ in Losi 8
http://www.ncontrolrc.com/results/10...gy_A-Main.html

supertib 10-23-2007 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: jaywax

It depends on the design of your track. Our local track owner stop making tracks with "long straights". It is more technical and has a lot of jumps coming out of tight turns, so you need the low end power rather than top end. Guys are running .28's & .21's with low end pipes and 13t clutch bells for that reason. I run a LRP Spec 3 w/dynamite 007 ht pipe and 13t clutch bell. Also, we run a wet track unless it is an sanctioned ROAR Race. This combo works well for me and a lot of other guys. All the engines discussed are good engines, just use the one that best fits your budget, track and driving style. Hell, I saw a guy three weeks ago win a State Invitational Race in 1/8 Expert buggy (A main) with an OS .18TZ in his Losi 8. Yes, I did say .18TZ. That race featured TX's top racers including "Mike Battaile". Too many people get caught in dyno tests, mods, and high prices and forget the fact that "DRIVING" wins races.Choose the engine that you feel most comfortable with and hit the track.

Here are the results from the Invitational Race in 1/8 Expert A main to validate claim. Chris Allison runs a .18TZ in Losi 8

You make a valid point... I myself got a little sidetracked LOL....... I just find it frustrating when people start refering motors when they have no clue what its being compared too and for what purpose........ a Spec 3 is a great mill no doupt, but its definitely not hands down the greatest mill there is....... One guy here is saying both a Ninja 28 and os 28 are slow compared to a Spec 3 LOL (other thread) .. I understand he is likely a very young guy excited about his first upgrade motor and is very excited, but i want to point out to potential conumers that there is more to the story then they will likely read on these forums......sorry i am a stickler somewhat on skewed facts like this, and feel compelled to at least add a voice of reason ...a Spec 3 is a great sub $200.00 engines ($160.00) but its not in the same leage as a $300.00 Ninja or OS...... Anyways I will keep my mouth shut as I dont want to offend anyone...... Hopefully soon Adam from Ab will dyno test a Spec 3 so we can see it compared to a P3 28 on the dyno...................... FYI on Ab Mods X-Dyno the Picco's hold the record in several classes for most power....JLR .12, P7R .21, P3 28......... which is why i find a Spec 3 being faster then a P3 28 hard to swallow....a P3 28 is one super badass motor not to be taken lightly...

The Winner 10-23-2007 02:56 PM

hey guys just see the results of the dyno in almost all engines!: http://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums...ead.php?t=1419

ttoks 10-23-2007 03:48 PM

supertib Date 10/24/2007 12:59:48 AM

quote:

another one to the LRP.

yes but none of these guys have ever run the Drake or know anything about it.so how can they offer an opinion comparing these 2 motors......so their votes mean nothing....I see the term "hands down" being used and it makes me laugh......... line your Spec 3 side by side with the Drake and "hands Down" the Spec 3 will be sucking dust..... the Drake is a faster more powerful better built engine

a Drake is a lightly tweaked Picco P3 28 FTT....it makes huge power .....anyways IMHO people shouldnt offer opinions unless they know whatthey are talking about.... unl;ess you have personaly run the "Drake" you really have no grounds to compare these two motors...
i'd rather offer opinions on an engine i own then one i don't, so why i suggested the LRP as well.

mtbkym01 10-23-2007 04:04 PM

Excellent point Jaywax, 13t clutchbell on a 28 (but I thought a 28 was useless for racing..LOL). Truggy's love .28's, it's as simple as that. Bye the way, I love to see a picco .21 "lay a serious hurting on a LRP".

supertib 10-23-2007 06:00 PM

ORIGINAL: mtbkym01

Excellent point Jaywax, 13t clutchbell on a 28 (but I thought a 28 was useless for racing..LOL). Truggy's love .28's, it's as simple as that. Bye the way, I love to see a picco .21 "lay a serious hurting on a LRP".
Okay " serious Hurtin" is overstated..... but the little .21 does outrun the Spec 3 , and it doesnt take much straight to do so either.. the Spec can hang for about 50' but after that the .21 walks away.....and this is talking a stock P7 EVO2........ the modded EVO 2 on the other hand will in fact lay a nasty hurting on a Spec 3.... the modded P7 runs just like a stock Ninja 28...there is a video on Youtube of a Ninja 28 vs a Spec 3, and it aint pretty for the Spec 3 thats for sure..... I have nothing against the LRP motors at all, i have modified and videod plenty, thise season several of my buddies ran Spec 3's and we had many chances to run em side by side.......... Spec 3 is a great motor but it definitely is not comparable to a top shelf screamer like a Ninja 28 or EVO 2......In a MT where its intended a Spec 3 is awesome, in truggy it does not have the top end needed to compete with the big dogs, not to mention its a pig on fuel...

jaywax 10-23-2007 10:02 PM

I did not want to contribute to a flame war. I just wanted to make the point that "DRIVING" wins races. 99% of the people who use this forum are not sponsored high end racers. For that reason, you do not need the fastest or most powerful engine. The majority of high end .21's will outrun most of the .28's in long straights and definetly have better fuel mileage. This big gap is closing. Companies are beginning to make more high reving .28's with good fuel mileage. Eventually, the .28's will have nearly the same rpms and fuel mileage as .21's. I do not care about dynos, mods, or horsepower. I use the "eyeball test" and credible sources for my engines. I do not care about the price or the country of origin. It could be a $100 .28 from Jamaica. If it performs well, them I'm down.

mtbkym01 10-23-2007 10:32 PM

Exactly, I dont see many national or world champions contributing to this forum, most of US I believe would be club racing level (not trying to offend anyone). I for one do not have the time or money to be constantly striving for the best of the best equipment. I will get the best I can afford to enable me to be competitive at club level, and most of all HAVE FUN! I agree with you Jaywax 100%

beto86 10-24-2007 12:15 AM

yea i was considering a .21 too mybe an os vspec

supertib 10-24-2007 12:57 AM

okay I got some low res pics of XRC's test of both the Spec 3 anbd the Drake 28................anyone thinking the Spec 3 has more top end needs to re-examine the graphs...oh i thres in a modded Picco 28 graph just for fun...

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...lrpspec328.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...ccoP328FTT.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...obigparrun.jpg

ttoks 10-24-2007 04:55 AM

lol adam has some serious talent, that picco he did is freaking insanely powerful, and with a torque curve like that would be drivable as well, i have to agree that a good .21 in most cases will tear a .28 to shreds, racing, usually easier to use the power, and less fuel consumption means less pit stops.

coololdude 10-25-2007 04:28 AM

Oh boy someone needs to take a deep breath....Never once did I say that one engine was better or faster then the other....note; I was commenting on his price range the ease of tuning and my reference to hand down was on the ease of driveabilty this engine give you...the fact that you can tune it to use what power it makes....not everybody can use what the drake 28 produces........and just so you know...I wish I was younger then you.......I hope you have a better day ....don't get so worked up over the small stuff in life...enjoy your hobby and have fun with it ...thats what this is all about right????[8D]

supertib 10-25-2007 08:33 AM

ORIGINAL: coololdude

Oh boy someone needs to take a deep breath....Never once did I say that one engine was better or faster then the other....note; I was commenting on his price range the ease of tuning and my reference to hand down was on the ease of driveabilty this engine give you...the fact that you can tune it to use what power it makes....not everybody can use what the drake 28 produces........and just so you know...I wish I was younger then you.......I hope you have a better day ....don't get so worked up over the small stuff in life...enjoy your hobby and have fun with it ...thats what this is all about right????[8D]
actualy my rant had nothing to do with you....

i am just sick of people opening their mouths trying to sound important when they have no bloody clue what they are yakking about............ alot of people are under the impression the Spec has more top then the Picco...Savage Jim tellin them the Spec 3 holds its power to almost 40K blah blah blah... sorry I get frustrated by netexperts...... to think I burnt 25 gallons of fuel this season, running at least 10 different motors, videoing all thesemotors, and even capturing a few head to head runs.......... But people still want to listen to a net expert has not run either motor in question.

ttoks 10-25-2007 08:45 AM

savagejim never even posted here, you need to calm down a bit i think..

kthatch805 10-25-2007 05:08 PM

TO be honest i would tell you to get the Jammin .28.. for 199 its a graet motor.. its what i ran b4 my MR ninja and i loved it..

supertib 10-25-2007 05:17 PM

savagejim never even posted here, you need to calm down a bit i think..

your probably right..i posted this in the wrong thread.........

RippedUp 11-17-2007 05:57 AM

So what's the verdict on those engines.

I will be breaking-in my new Trinity Drake 28 this afternoon. Will let you know.