RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Truggy (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-truggy-399/)
-   -   8T Throttle Servo (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-truggy-399/7751979-8t-throttle-servo.html)

SycoCell 07-20-2008 02:17 PM

8T Throttle Servo

My 8ight-T throttle servo burnt out about two weeks ago. (stock Spektrum Z270) I then decided to throw my stock muggy servo into it for a temp solution. (it was between mains) Today racing (maybe 6 or 7 tanks total on the second servo), the servo burnt out again! Now, i know they are crap servos (like 49oz of torque), but can this be attributed to chassis flex? I ordered the tray stiffener, but hasn't arrived yet. Anyone had this problem? It's not my EPA's, they are all set right, nor is there any binding. ARG!

Jamie22 07-20-2008 03:22 PM

RE: 8T Throttle Servo

I had more problems with the tray stiffner. Take and cut you a piece of fuel line bout an 1/8th inch thick. Put in between the chassis and tray on the rear bolt of the tray. Then put the rubber rings under each bolt of the servo. Done all of that to mine and havent had another servo mess up

SycoCell 07-20-2008 05:16 PM

Okay. I will try that.

slayerphonics 07-21-2008 09:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Jamie22

I had more problems with the tray stiffner. Take and cut you a piece of fuel line bout an 1/8th inch thick. Put in between the chassis and tray on the rear bolt of the tray. Then put the rubber rings under each bolt of the servo. Done all of that to mine and havent had another servo mess up
Thats alot of useless work and not the correct fix,

1. Align your carb to the stroke of the servo arm.
2. Set your EPA so that at WOT you can pull the throttle open by hand another 2mm
3. Buy a quality servo

We race alot of 8ights at our track, nobody uses the o-rings or tray stiffner to fix the throttle servo, its all about alignment, EPA and quality servos.

The tray stiffner looks cool though,

INTEGRA 07-21-2008 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

Thats alot of useless work and not the correct fix,

1. Align your carb to the stroke of the servo arm.
2. Set your EPA so that at WOT you can pull the throttle open by hand another 2mm
3. Buy a quality servo

We race alot of 8ights at our track, nobody uses the o-rings or tray stiffner to fix the throttle servo, its all about alignment, EPA and quality servos.

The tray stiffner looks cool though,

X2.....WELL said slayer.

Jamie22 07-21-2008 12:33 PM

Done all 3 things you said and still had problems. Done the things I stated and havent had a single problem since

INTEGRA 07-21-2008 01:01 PM

:eek: no comment....think what u please.

Jamie22 07-21-2008 01:40 PM

Yea guess my 100 dollar servos wasnt good enough lmfao

K_B 07-21-2008 02:29 PM

Done all 3 things you said and still had problems. Done the things I stated and havent had a single problem since
I ran into problems with servo clearance. I blew up an Airtronics 358 because I didn't put spacers in to get it off the chassis. The shock and vibration killed it. It lasted for a few weeks like that though. I'm thinking that shock-mounting the battery box AND the servo may have done the same thing as using spacers; it got the servo off the chassis, isolating it from vibration/shock.

SycoCell 07-21-2008 03:46 PM

Well, i found a spare brand new Assoiciated S2008mg servo. It's metal and rated at like 111oz at .15..so i think that will surfice now. I installed it today so I'll see how it goes. I think i also found a problem, my linnkage didn't seem 100% perfect.

INTEGRA 07-21-2008 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: SycoCell

Well, i found a spare brand new Assoiciated S2008mg servo. It's metal and rated at like 111oz at .15..so i think that will surfice now. I installed it today so I'll see how it goes. I think i also found a problem, my linnkage didn't seem 100% perfect.

huh...would'nt ya know...the linkages....:) sorry had to.

SycoCell 07-21-2008 08:36 PM

Well, it was a very minimal looking thing. I only noticed it after about 30 minutes of staring, but i'm still not 100% sure that was it. My carb was just maybe an 1/8 inch twisted.

dparadowski 07-22-2008 03:57 PM

I too have blown a few servos. I thought all the linkages and epa were correct, but just blew another one. I was putting in a cheapo servo just to get thought the day and noticed that the wires coming out of the servo were binding on the mounting post that mounts the tray to the chassis. I didn't notice this on other servos, but this one was for sure. I'm thinking that the flex in the chassis was causing the wires to bind on the post and either break there or pull them enought to not make contact to the board any more. I opened the servo and shaved away some of the case and made the wire come out off centered away from the post. I then used some hot glue just to cover the larger hole in the servo case. I haven't ran much since then, but just thought I'd throw it up there since I never heard anybody mention it before in any posts on this problem. I will keep posted on how this works.

SycoCell 07-22-2008 07:59 PM

That's a good point. I have noticed that it is a tight fit for those wires. Maybe tomorrow I will open it up and test out a few things.

INTEGRA 07-22-2008 08:19 PM

i dont forsee it being an issue....unless ur running a newer Futaba Brushless servo which uses a guage thicker wires....MABY ..but with standard Ace/Hitec/JR wire's it should'nt be an problem.

splinter51 07-22-2008 09:00 PM

alot of useless things to do???????????? I guess Losi saying what jamie said in a revamp of the manual is wrong?

Wilki01 07-22-2008 09:27 PM

Mine had a major crash, totalled at full throttle because of the servo issue. Horizon sent me all the replacement parts. I sold it and moved on to a machine that lasts longer than two tanks of fuel per servo. Too bad, I like the truggy, Losi should've had this issue resolved by now. I won't by another one from them, not at the prices charged.

Jamie22 07-22-2008 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: splinter51

alot of useless things to do???????????? I guess Losi saying what jamie said in a revamp of the manual is wrong?
Yea I dont know nuttin and niether does losi

INTEGRA 07-23-2008 08:15 AM

ORIGINAL: Wilki01

Mine had a major crash, totalled at full throttle because of the servo issue. Horizon sent me all the replacement parts. I sold it and moved on to a machine that lasts longer than two tanks of fuel per servo. Too bad, I like the truggy, Losi should've had this issue resolved by now. I won't by another one from them, not at the prices charged.

so u could'nt keep up to the Apple miceter so u sold it....Good excuse...:eek: throttle servo only lasts 2 tanks.....get over yourself.

INTEGRA 07-23-2008 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: splinter51

Yea I dont know nuttin and niether does losi

seems like. :eek:....99% of guys i know run the tray like ANY other Radio box....everything Tight with No BS washer's or O-rings for flex....and oo guess what ....ZERO blown throttle servo's....hrmm i wonder why.....cuz that Amendment is Shinanigans......ask drake how he runs the tray. or truhe....then ull see.

Jamie22 07-23-2008 09:24 AM

Oh really and im guessin you race with drake to lmfo... Always more than one way to fix sumthing but you seem to think your way is the only way it will ever work huh

slayerphonics 07-23-2008 09:25 AM

It does amaze me to integra. Its like people just blame the product, because god forbid that they could make a mistake or not know something. It must be the stupid truggy. Its like when someone blows an engine.. "What a crap engine it just blew" Instead of taking a perspective of what could I have done wrong or diffrently.

I blew up a motor that had less then 10 tanks through it. I wasn't ranting that motor was crap, It was my fault.

Just like its most peoples fault things break on their RC cars, they come on RCU and say that they have done everything perfectly, but we don't know if they did and most likely they didn't. Because so many others that have some experience with RC cars and have some common sense just don't have the problem with blowing servos in their 8ights,

I just think about the people at my track.. well over 20 people with 8ights. We never have the disscussion about 8ights blowing servos.

And if someone does, we always find their setup was wrong, we show them what they have done wrong, and once they buy a quality servo, and set it up right. not just say they have it right. no more problems.

I hate wrighting a novel about the stupid servo on the 8ight i just get so tired of hearing "I have everything set perfect and it still blows up"

I still remember when I blew my servo on my 8ight, And one of the guys who races the 8ight, who now i'm friends with and listen to his advice. He comes over and in a matter of 10 seconds he showed me what was wrong and why it blew, He helped me set it up and showed me what to watch out for. I've never had a problem since then. And ive removed the radio tray countless times to clean the truck, and used diffrent engines, I just follow the same instructions and never any problems.

So if you ditched a world class truggy because you couldn't figure out how to setup the servo correctly, then maybe you need to step back and buy a traxxas stampede or something a little less intermediate.

Let the hate replies begin :)

INTEGRA 07-23-2008 10:05 AM

Oh really and im guessin you race with drake to lmfo... Always more than one way to fix sumthing but you seem to think your way is the only way it will ever work huh

its called the "Ask Drake" or "ask Truhe" thread. :eek:

SycoCell 07-23-2008 02:14 PM

Haha well put Slayer. 2 more weeks till i'm back at the track there.

slayerphonics 07-23-2008 02:31 PM

Awesome man can't wait to race with you, now that you got something that is track worthy