RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Truggy (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-truggy-399/)
-   -   XTM Truggy? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-truggy-399/8786501-xtm-truggy.html)

cummins driver 05-20-2009 11:43 PM

XTM Truggy?

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/145635.asp

How long has this truggy been around?Anyone have one, or have any experience with one?I had never really heard of it, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. I know the 24.7 is a good motor, but not sure about the rest of the truggy. I know XTM makes a good buggy, so i figured their truggy would also be stong, and it seems like a good price. I would only be bashing with it, so it wouldnt need to be set up to race or anything. The price seems good on it if it is a solid truggy. Anyone have any info on it?

Eric

Chris_RC 05-20-2009 11:54 PM

RE: XTM Truggy?

I wouldnt buy XTM crap. And dont ever shop at Hobby Peoplel!!! When you go to a SoCal track and someones has an XTM, the question the racers always say is did you buy it at hobby people? Then when they say yes, the racers just sigh.

cummins driver 05-21-2009 12:05 AM

Sounds like you have no experience with the truggy, you just dont like XTM. </p>

I have no idea about hobby people. Never bought from them, and doubt i will, i just saw a link to it on there, and tower doesent have it listed. </p>

I probably wont buy one anyways, or any truggy for that matter, i just like to know a little about them in case i did decide to trade for/buy a truggy, or if i ran up on one cheap. </p>

</p>

thenewguy821 05-21-2009 12:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

I wouldnt buy XTM crap. And dont ever shop at Hobby Peoplel!!! When you go to a SoCal track and someones has an XTM, the question the racers always say is did you buy it at hobby people? Then when they say yes, the racers just sigh.

Because everyone wants to be a loyal sheep in the flock, and only do what the others say is ok...

As for the XTM, Ipersonally DONOThave experience with the XTMvehicles. Ihave heard some good and a lot of bad things about them, Most of which has to do with parts availability. There is a Hobby shop near me that carries the truck, but in the event that something breaks, even they have a long wait on getting ordered parts in. For this reason alone, I haven't gotten their trucks.

rcdriv3r 05-21-2009 01:26 AM

I don't have the truggy, but i do have an xtm x-cellerator... the 1/10th ST and I love it. i don't know what the deal is with people having problems with getting parts. i was getting a little to daring too close to a wall one time, ran the truck right into it and just busted the front a-arms. went to hobby people and picked up all the parts i needed that same day. no problems at all. overall i've been happey with my 1/10th scale, and im sure they have the same quality in the truggy as well.

plus if its just for fun, why is it the "in thing" to have what everyone else has at the track? also if its JUST FOR FUN, theres no need to drop close to 1500 bucks or more for any vehicle. just my two cents. happy driving!

Thunderbird93 05-21-2009 05:39 PM

I thought about getting one (or a Mammoth ST) but got a good deal on a used Thunder Tiger ST-1 with an XTM 457. I have an XTMXLB and I love it. The only thing I can say about the XST is that depending on where and who you're running with you might need an upgrade from the 24.7 It was a good motor years ago but with everyone running more powerful .21s and .28s it'll be hard to keep up. The XTM 457 would be a lovely upgrade for the price. If I need parts for my XLB, if my hobby shop doesn't have them I can get it off ebay and have it in a few days.

thenewguy821 05-21-2009 10:19 PM

My point exactly, wasn't sure if anyone picked up on my sarcasm in my previous post. Some people feel they have to have what everyone else has, in order to be accepted, and it is sad that people can be that superficial.

As for the parts comment, Like I had said, Ido not have personal experience with the XTM's because of Parts availability here. If your local hobby shop has agood selection of parts, or can get partsin a decent timeframe, then theXTM's may bethe way togo.

race raider 05-22-2009 12:41 AM

when everything is said and done it all comes down to you get what you pay for if you don't plan on racing then get the xtm but if there any chance that you may want to race later save your money and get a race spec truggy

Chris_RC 05-24-2009 12:30 PM

Ive had an XTM vehicle, the Mammoth (MT version). And it was a POS. What Hobby people does is sell all this XTM crap because it is cheap, then get mad at you once you break and XTM parts are expesnive! Someone told me $35 for the rear driveshafts or somethign like that.

Thunderbird93 05-24-2009 01:17 PM

I never really cared for the Mammoth but like the look of the Mammoth ST. And yes, most parts are expensive. A spur gear for my XLB is close to $30. That's why I try to deal mostly with Ebay.

supertib 05-24-2009 01:21 PM

Buy a used Mugen 5T you will be way better off then buying that XTM....... my Mugen MBX5Thas over 40 gallons of use running heavily modified engines and I am still using my original stock diffs, thats something that will never, ever, ever happen with a XTM product.........

mentat 05-24-2009 03:47 PM

This argument can go on forever. the facts are this: There is not anything wrong with this Kit. Parts are easy to get as long as u dont mind waiting for them to be shipped. ANYKIT will last a long time if u take proper care of it. There are way to many people that think u have to have a HIGHEND kit , facts are you dont. Itook second in a club race yesterday with my STOCK Raze ST which cost me $199. Havent had any problems with the kit. Just been taking care of it, after run oil, engine bottom dead center, loctite all the screws. Do not be fooled. Most people on here think u have to have high end, you dont. buy what you can afford take care of it. and practice. most of this sport is about driving skill. Do not listen to those that think otherwise. I wouldnt be scared to buy that kit.

madmaxx1 05-24-2009 04:08 PM

i see some people have their eye's open! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

a few good point's mentioned so far within regard's to not needing to spend large cash on a ride and alsobuying used ride's http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ades_smile.gifi agree with both but one thing i would like to add is that NOTHING i repeat NOTHING is worse than waiting for part's when you want to run! that can hapen with ANY ride regardless of mfg http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../omg_smile.gifit's a good idea to see what you can get part's for locally as it will make a BIG difference http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/heart.gif/http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...oken_heart.gif

if you like to wrench and save some coin you can get some pretty nice ride's on the used market as a lot of people are "upgrading" just my $0.02 anyways.... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...evil_smile.gif

then of course with the scratch you saved you can send your engine to someone like supertib and have yourself a mini land rocket http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...bananahead.gif

CHAVAN30 05-24-2009 04:40 PM

I just got one of these in trade, and from my limited time with it, it seems really sturdy. Seems a little heavy, but for club racing or bashing, Ithink it will dofine.

worstluck 05-24-2009 08:41 PM

i would suggest looking at the "official" thread and see what issues people had as far as parts breaking and get the most common parts for spares so you already have em. i dont see anything wrong with xtm. im currently running one of their .25 engines in my buggy and it keeps up no problem with the novarossi and o.s. engines. like others said its all about the driver, if you dont crash you dont break. when racing it all comes down to preventative maintanence, and suspension setup (tires and skills help too)

mentat 05-24-2009 08:44 PM

you will eventually have to wait for parts because u will break something that the "local hobby shop" wont have. so waiting for parts if part of the hobby.

CHAVAN30 05-24-2009 09:48 PM

i think the engine is about to give up the ghost. any suggestions? i would buy used if i didnt have to break it in. anyone no where i can get the xtm 24.7 at? or an equivalent?
i guess i could take the force .28 out of my ultra lx and sell it as a rollerhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

Thunderbird93 05-25-2009 08:12 AM

ORIGINAL: CHAVAN30

i think the engine is about to give up the ghost. any suggestions? i would buy used if i didnt have to break it in. anyone no where i can get the xtm 24.7 at? or an equivalent?
i guess i could take the force .28 out of my ultra lx and sell it as a rollerhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif
If you already have a 24.7, why not put a new piston and sleeve in it from the 24.7 Pro? It will run a lot better and stronger. I've been saving my 24.7 just for that reason. You'll have a new better running motor for half the price of a 24.7 and I think HobbyPeople has them for $55

CHAVAN30 05-25-2009 08:42 AM

good idea. thanks. will check on that now.

BigGrump 05-25-2009 10:46 AM

Well, I will admit it.   Hobby People had them on sale brand new for $299 so I bought it.   Hobby People then had the XTM 457 pro on sale for $99 so I brought that.    Broke in the 24.7 and found it really a nice engine.  Put in the 457 and found it just as nice but throws the XTM around better.   Put a set of proline bow tie tires on and i could simply not be happier with a fun basher and for running around in street, front grass, camp ground etc, and when I let my son in laws and grandchildren drive it, it is so much easier to drive that the monster truckis, they end up having a lot of fun.</p>

</p>

XTM stuff is very good for an average Joe.   Not the high end stuff, but really good middle of the road.</p>

</p>

I like it and we have fun.   I apologize in advance and say I am Sorry to the elite people who will find the xtm and me beneath them for even giving it a chance or using it within its design limits.</p>

</p>

Dennis</p>

Thunderbird93 05-25-2009 01:48 PM

Well I just came back in from running my Thunder Tiger truggy with the XTM 457 in it and I really like it. At a price of $99 for a 457 is an extremely nice price.

supertib 05-25-2009 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: BigGrump

Well, I will admit it. Hobby People had them on sale brand new for $299 so I bought it. Hobby People then had the XTM 457 pro on sale for $99 so I brought that. Broke in the 24.7 and found it really a nice engine. Put in the 457 and found it just as nice but throws the XTM around better. Put a set of proline bow tie tires on and i could simply not be happier with a fun basher and for running around in street, front grass, camp ground etc, and when I let my son in laws and grandchildren drive it, it is so much easier to drive that the monster truckis, they end up having a lot of fun.</p>

</p>

XTM stuff is very good for an average Joe. Not the high end stuff, but really good middle of the road.</p>

</p>

I like it and we have fun. I apologize in advance and say I am Sorryto the elite people who will find the xtm and me beneath them for even giving it a chance or using it within its design limits.</p>

</p>

Dennis</p>
We have had XTM products in the past.... a XT2 Buggy and several mammoths...... The XT2's did very good, they were heavy but fairly durable....the original mammoth was horrible ! You will have to keep this thread updated with how the XTM holds up and performs..... In the past the main issue with the XTMproducts was the differentials, they were constantly blowing diffs, they has some goofy looking spiders that were very prone to failure.... However its been many many years since I have even looked at XTM, so its definitely going to be interesting to see if the current products still have the same issues as the older products I had ran. only time will tell the full story..........

rotzilla 05-25-2009 02:17 PM

tib your not going to be telling everyone on this side to get a mt lol....

supertib 05-25-2009 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: rotzilla

tib your not going to be telling everyone on this side to get a mt lol....

LOL !

Iam just trying to help my fellow bashers !

cummins driver 05-27-2009 02:04 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. Im in no big hurry to get a truggy, but i thought it was a decent price on one of these for a new one if they are decent at all. </p>

BigGrump- Thanks for the experienced reply. Im not one that needs the latest and greatest to have fun, so i know where you are coming from. </p>

Eric</p>