Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP T-28C

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 04:02 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: KMP T-28C

I have a buddy that has an Eflite 160 in his ESM T-28 and loves it. Plenty of power and smooth running and no mess...
Old 09-22-2011, 06:13 AM
panhndl
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. My plane arrived the other day. It looks great ant the cowl will be plenty big for about anything. In fact, it looks like it might fit a Moki 150 in there, if you wanted to try. The problem I have is that there was no manual with the plane. Anyone else not have any instructions?

I hope to get some fun pictures tonight.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:00 AM
cloud_master

The instructions are on the KMP website at the bottom of thepage for the T-28 airplane. The pagesare in a weird order however, not sure how to print them to make the page numbers make sense. I ended up cutting it into individual pages and then putting them in a 3-ring binder. Looks as though they have not updated the book to coincide with the new version airplane however.

I still have not decided which engine to put in yet. Still got it between the Zenoah G-45 (wouldn't need nose weight), DA-50 (may be too much power, not sure), and the Aerovate 45.

Has anyone seen for sale a cockpit kit or a new instrument panel kit for this airplane? I saw one for the ESM T-28, but it appears to not work on the KMP T-28. I'd like to scale out the interior a bit more.

-Ryan
Old 09-22-2011, 08:30 AM
TangoPapa
My Feedback: (1)

I recieved my replacement T-28 earlier this week, it is replacing the one I lost a few months ago. I didn't get a manual either, the one one the website is for the old version kit. this kit is much different and may I say much better built. I would check with Gus at KMP and see if they have an updated manual. I have all the parts left from my first T-28 so the build will go fast, infact I hope to fly by the end of the month.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:49 AM
cloud_master

What happened to the first one?  I havn't started mine yet, but am curious how sliding the wings on the tubes with the retracts installed and retracted is going to work?  Seems the gear would need to be extended to get the wings to slide on.  Not sure.  What engine did you end up using?  Any comments on the three engine choices that I have in mind?  Thanks

-Ryan
Old 09-22-2011, 09:51 AM
panhndl

Andrew got right back to me and the new manual will be following shortly. Apparently the Chinese factory forgot to tell him that it wasn't shipping with the plane.

Retracts- I'm planning on having my retracts converted to electric so I don't have to mess with air lines and such.

engine- I'm pretty torn on this. I'd like to put in a 4 stroke gas engine. My choices seem to be Saito 57 twin, RCS 50, Rotomotor 35fs and 85fs, and possibly the Saito 36. The Saito 36 and Rotomotor 35 both seem to be a bit small for this plane. The Rotomotor 85 is probably too big. The Saito 57 and the RCS 50 both seem to be about the right size, but the Saito 57 would require yet another container of Gasoline/oil mix (I have 2 already). The RCS 50 looks to be about right, but from what I've read, is pretty underpowered for its size and is a bit finiky.

That leaves 2 stroke motors. There's plenty of those available and I won't go into a discussion on that.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:32 AM
cloud_master

Is Andrew planning on sending us all manuals then?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:40 AM
panhndl

I'm assuming so, but squeakiest wheel gets the oil and all that. I'd at least email with your request for a manual.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:02 AM
cloud_master

Yup, I hear ya.  I'll send him a note, he can send a manual with my left elevator............
Old 09-22-2011, 11:34 AM
TangoPapa

What happened is (pilot error) I got too slow on final with full flaps and added too much power too fast, the plane started to torque roll and then tip stalled. I have the remains, it's not a pretty sight. As for my engine I am using a DLE 55, I want to swing a large three bladed prop, 20-10. The first T-28 wieghted in at 21 pound, so think about that when you make your engine choise. This T-28 has more fiberglass, is constructed better, and will probably weight more. As for mods, all I am doing know is putting my elevator servos inside the horizontal stab and will eventually put brakes, gear doors, and an operational dive brake. I will post pix soon.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:43 AM
SAM-RCU

I think Dynamic Balsa was at one time putting together a cockpit kit for the T-28. I'm going to send them a email and check. I also was looking at the instructions and was wondering if there was a updated set available. Tango Pango what servo's did you go with on your first T-28 build for the control surfaces.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:14 PM
cloud_master

Well, I like the thought of the DA-50, but didn't know if that would be too much for the airframe.  I also want to swing a 3-blade.  If you were running a DLE-55, i'd think the DA-50 would be fine.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:54 PM
panhndl

I was thinking about Dynamic Balsa, as well. They have their 1/6 scale Dave Platt Master Series cockpit kit for $150. They have another for $90. Both seem a little pricey considering the price of the plane, but scale costs...

http://dbalsa.com/cockpits/t-28-platt.htm

http://dbalsa.com/cockpits/t-28-cox-pica.htm
Old 09-22-2011, 01:08 PM
cloud_master

Both of those cockpits lookspectacular, however neither are for the KMP T-28. Were you thinking one of these would work?
Old 09-22-2011, 01:55 PM
panhndl

My thought was simply to get all the specific measurements off the KMP and then call and see which one is, or if one is, close. If it is close, maybe it could be modded to fit. At least, that was the way I was going ot approach it.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:40 PM
TangoPapa

Here is a list of equipment that will be used to outfit my T-28.
1. DLE-55 with a custom J-Tec pitts style wrap around muffler swinging a Biela 20x10 three blade prop.
2. Ignition is driven by a2300 mahDuralite A123 battery controlled by a PowerBox Systems Spark Switch.
3. The receiver is a JR R922 with three remote receivers powered by two2300 mahDuralite A123 batteries.
4. Wing and rudder servos are HiTec HS-5645MG digital servos.
5. Throttle, nose wheel steering, and gear control servos are HS-485MG analoge servos
6. Elevators will be controlled by two HS-5085MG digital servos located inside the horizontal stab.
7. The robart gear is controlled by a robart adjustable valve and protected by a Tamjets Failsafe switch.
8. Smoke system from Sullivan.

I will post pix of my progress soon.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:52 AM
panhndl

Hmm...I wonder if the new Mintor 38 would pull this guy around? $375
Old 09-23-2011, 06:07 AM
enzo65

Hi

Mintor 38cc too small and delicate engine, Aerovate 45cc is the right compromise for power, weight and price for this model you can see my video its is perfect .........I think also the DL 55cc too big for this plane

Enzo

[link]http://www.enzoriccio.it[/link]
Old 09-23-2011, 06:58 AM
panhndl

Hmm...I don't really want a chinese engine, though.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:04 AM
enzo65

Hi

in this case the choice is not easy ... but the Mintor 38cc is small for this plane, this is my opinion....

Enzo
Old 09-23-2011, 07:12 AM
cloud_master

ORIGINAL: enzo65

Hi

in this case the choice is not easy ... but the Mintor 38cc is small for this plane, this is my opinion....

Enzo
What is your opinion of the DA-50 for power in this airplane?

Have you had any running issues with the Aerovate 45? My dad and I have been struggling with one in a Yak, it has been quitting on us periodically. We havn't come up with a good conclusion as to why. Last time it quit the plane was upside down about 1/3 throttle. It sounded like it went lean and quit, but we find no evidence of issues with the gas tank set-up, and when the carb was inspected, it was full of fuel. KMP has sent us a revised ignition box to try but i'm getting worried about putting this engine in the T-28 and experienciing an engine out. I can already see it won't be a good dead stick airplane.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:43 AM
enzo65

ORIGINAL: cloud_master

ORIGINAL: enzo65

Hi

Enzo
What is your opinion of the DA-50 for power in this airplane?

Have you had any running issues with the Aerovate 45? My dad and I have been struggling with one in a Yak, it has been quitting on us periodically. We havn't come up with a good conclusion as to why. Last time it quit the plane was upside down about 1/3 throttle. It sounded like it went lean and quit, but we find no evidence of issues with the gas tank set-up, and when the carb was inspected, it was full of fuel. KMP has sent us a revised ignition box to try but i'm getting worried about putting this engine in the T-28 and experienciing an engine out. I can already see it won't be a good dead stick airplane.
Hi Ciao,

That is a frustrating problem usually caused by the air pressure changes around the carb in flight affecting any Walbro equipped engine. It is not a defect in the engine and this is easy problem with Yak cowl.....
Try this solution and let me know how you make out.
There are a few things you can try to correct the problem.
First, I would rotate the vent on the carb. Sometimes this will cure the problem. If this doesn't work, you will need to connect a line to the vent and route the line to a more stable environment. The "ideal" environment is inside your fuselage, so thats where you want the new line to go.

Remove the cover and solder a brass tube on the existing vent. Be sure the tube is OPEN to the inside of the cover! Attach a line to the new tube and route the line to go inside the fuselage. This will COMPLETELY resolve pressure issues on the diaphragm. That's not to say you don't have other problems, but the atmospheric problem will be gone.

Let me know if you solve the problem you can buy an Aerovate I have test many Aerovaratte in Italy and I have no problems ....

Enzo
Old 09-23-2011, 07:45 AM
enzo65

Sorry I forgot your question the DA is good....but the cost is hight...

Enzo
Old 09-23-2011, 09:56 AM
panhndl

Enzo,

You're from Italy. What's your opinion of Mintor engines? I just can't seem to find much data on them. They look beautiful, but I know that doesn't mean they run well. I could stick a DA 50 or Mintor 55 on the front of this plane and just adjust my throttle curve in my transmitter. Basically, I have a fancy plane and want a fancy motor to go along with it.

Oh, and I went back to watch your video again. I liked the performance the Aerovate 45 had, and would like to have similar performance. Couple questions.
1. Its hard to see from the pictures and video. Did you open up the cowl at all to get more air flowing through? Did you do anything to push air more directly over the cylinder of the motor?
2. How much weight did you have to add to the front of the plane to get it to balance. This will affect what engine I will purchase, somewhat.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:39 AM
enzo65

ORIGINAL: panhndl

Enzo,

You're from Italy. What's your opinion of Mintor engines? I just can't seem to find much data on them. They look beautiful, but I know that doesn't mean they run well. I could stick a DA 50 or Mintor 55 on the front of this plane and just adjust my throttle curve in my transmitter. Basically, I have a fancy plane and want a fancy motor to go along with it.

Oh, and I went back to watch your video again. I liked the performance the Aerovate 45 had, and would like to have similar performance. Couple questions.
1. Its hard to see from the pictures and video. Did you open up the cowl at all to get more air flowing through? Did you do anything to push air more directly over the cylinder of the motor?
2. How much weight did you have to add to the front of the plane to get it to balance. This will affect what engine I will purchase, somewhat.
Hi,

for Mintor I know its a very serius company and factory, in the past I have used their 170 glow, but I was not very happy, for gas engines I've tried them but I saw the 100cc twin and runs very well and I liked it.
The 38cc has just come out and I have not yet been seen to turn.

For my AEROVATE 45cc I have not changed anything, simply mounted and flight......no change to the original configuration

For the weight I had to add 450gr in the noise, unfortunately all the RC WWII planes have this problem in particular those who rode the heavy radial engines had the short snout.

for not adding to it a heavy weight you have need a no light engines.....

BR

Enzo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.