Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP T-6 Texan II Assembly and Flight Video

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP T-6 Texan II Assembly and Flight Video

Old 11-03-2010, 01:08 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KMP T-6 Texan II Assembly and Flight Video

Any body start building one of these? Mine arrives today. I'll post pictures later.

Kirk
Old 11-05-2010, 09:05 PM
k_sonn

Default RE: KMP T-6 Texan II Assembly and Flight Video

Here are some photos of what the T-6 Texan II looks like 5 minutes after unpacking. Last photo show the Robart retracts. The airframe as shown in the photos weighs 6 pound 10 ounces.

Kirk
Old 11-05-2010, 09:14 PM
k_sonn

Photo 1 - The assembly begins with cleaning up the wing by removing access covering in the servo bays.
Photo 2 - Ialways glue .010 G-10 to the sides of the servo mounting hard wood blocks to prevent them from splitting when attaching the servo.
Photo 3 - Aileron and flap servos attached to the mounting blocking and the mounting blocks epoxied to the servo bay covers.

Kirk
Old 11-05-2010, 11:54 PM
trouch
My Feedback: (8)

Looking GREAT!! What are you going to use for power?
Old 11-07-2010, 12:32 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

looks really nice

whats the wingspan?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:28 PM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Three things that were wrong with mine:
1. Had two right exhaust stacks. Email to KMP solved that one.
2. Elevator hinge pattern was a bit too close together. The elevators fit the stabs perfectly while off the plane, but when the stabs were mounted, they spread out a bit and the hinges no longer fit. Had to open up the hinge holes about a 1/16" to the outside and used gorilla glue to fill the void.
3. Flaps were beveled on the wrong side. I could get 70 degrees of throw up but only about 20 degrees down. In order to get enough throw I would have had to have a 1/2" gap. Since I didn't want to spend all the time it would have taken to fix them glued in the up position and just installed them with dowels instead of hinges.

Mine will be done this week and fly next weekend. Also, just in case you need some, the blue is a perfect match for Testors Blue Angel Blue.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:06 PM
k_sonn

ORIGINAL: trouch

Looking GREAT!! What are you going to use for power?
Thanks. I'll be using an E-Flite 160.

Kirk
Old 11-09-2010, 01:07 PM
k_sonn

ORIGINAL: SunShyne

looks really nice

whats the wingspan?
Thanks. The wingspan is 72 inches.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:11 PM
k_sonn

ORIGINAL: rcmigpilot

Three things that were wrong with mine:
1. Had two right exhaust stacks. Email to KMP solved that one.
2. Elevator hinge pattern was a bit too close together. The elevators fit the stabs perfectly while off the plane, but when the stabs were mounted, they spread out a bit and the hinges no longer fit. Had to open up the hinge holes about a 1/16" to the outside and used gorilla glue to fill the void.
3. Flaps were beveled on the wrong side. I could get 70 degrees of throw up but only about 20 degrees down. In order to get enough throw I would have had to have a 1/2" gap. Since I didn't want to spend all the time it would have taken to fix them glued in the up position and just installed them with dowels instead of hinges.

Mine will be done this week and fly next weekend. Also, just in case you need some, the blue is a perfect match for Testors Blue Angel Blue.
Thanks for the info. I did notice the leading edge of the flap had the incorrect shape for center hinging. I fixed this is issue by removing a small amount of covering and sanding the leading edge to the proper shape. Thanks for the tip on the paint. I will need some to cover the newly sanded leading edge.

Good luck on your maiden. Looking forward to hearing the flight report.

Kirk
Old 11-09-2010, 01:32 PM
k_sonn

I've made some more progress. As mentioned above, the shape of the leading edge of the flaps is wrong for a center hinged flap. If the flap was bottom hinged, then the shape of the leading edge would be ok. To fix this, I removed a section of covering andsanded the leading edge to proper shape.

The wheel wells needed to be modified to accommodated the Robart retracts. Once modification was completed, they were glued in place using 15 minute epoxy. I used blue painters tape to hold the wheel wells in place as the epoxy set. When I removed the tape, areas of paint on the wheel well also came off. I'll repaint later.

Main gear retracts were installed. The struts and wheels were dissassembled and painted white, then reassembled.

All control surfacesare predrilled for pin hinges. The holes on the flaps and ailerons lined up perfectly with holes in the trailing edge of the wing. I decided to use BVM carbon fiber control horns. The servos were installed and the controll horn location was found. Slots were cut for the control horn.

I'll upload load some photos in the next day or two.

Kirk

Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 PM
k_sonn

Here's the photos for the work described in the post above.

Photo 1 - Shows the difference between the shapes of the flap leading edge. The flap on the left has the original shape.
Photo 2 - Main gear installed. Struts and wheels painted white. Wheel wells installed. You can see the areas of paint that peeled off with tape. These areas will be repainted later.
Photo 3 - Ailerons and flaps installed. Control horns installed.
Photo 4 - Shows how much deflection the flaps have with the reshaped leading edge.

Kirk
Old 11-10-2010, 02:20 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Hey Hey ... looks who is back in the warbird section

right on bud, she looks great! I think this may be the first time I've seen you with an ARF

I'm glad to hear it's e powered, I know you will make it super sweet!

Ron
Old 11-10-2010, 12:47 PM
k_sonn

ORIGINAL: Ron101

Hey Hey ... looks who is back in the warbird section

right on bud, she looks great! I think this may be the first time I've seen you with an ARF

I'm glad to hear it's e powered, I know you will make it super sweet!

Ron
Thanks Ron. It has been a few years since I've built a warbird. I've been wanting to get a warbird in the air since the spring butlike many others, I have limited time and toomany projects

Kirk
Old 11-11-2010, 10:05 PM
jorge*jet
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Kirk,
Sent you a couple of PMs. Like to hear from you on the Tiger.
Thanks,
Jorge
Old 11-15-2010, 01:34 PM
k_sonn

More progress....

The 3-piece wing has been epoxied together. Once the epoxy set, the wing was fitted to the fuse. Holes were drilled for the front dowels and wing bolts and the dowels were epoxied in place. The nose gear was installed. The motor mount was assemblied and the motor was bolted on. The assembly was placed in the fuse and the spinner and prop was attached and the motor mounting loction was found by centering thespinneron the nose. The back of the motor mount was clamped to the firewall and the location of the mount was drawn on the firewall. The assembly was removed from the fuse and holes were drilled in the firewall. She finally stands on her on legs.

Kirk
Old 11-15-2010, 01:35 PM
k_sonn

Hi Jorge,

Sent you an email.

Kirk

ORIGINAL: jorge*jet

Hi Kirk,
Sent you a couple of PMs. Like to hear from you on the Tiger.
Thanks,
Jorge
Old 11-17-2010, 08:09 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Kirk,
Nice project. Looks like a good subject with a nice wing and nice wide stance. Are you going to keep the stock ARF scheme or 'kirkify' it to something better!? [8D]
btw, in post 11 what is that nose section on the floor from?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:55 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Are you going to run a multiblade prop?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:45 PM
k_sonn

ORIGINAL: smchale

Kirk,
Nice project. Looks like a good subject with a nice wing and nice wide stance. Are you going to keep the stock ARF scheme or 'kirkify' it to something better!? [8D]
btw, in post 11 what is that nose section on the floor from?
Thanks Sean. I'm going to leave the scheme as is and will build it pretty much stock with a few exceptions (like fixing the leading edge of the flaps). I'm not using the kit's hardware, but that's a personal preference rather than a quality issue. Iwill be using this airframe as a test bed for the Futaba S Bus system.

The nose section is for the Skymaster L-39. Itook a break from it to assemble this plane.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10013139

Kirk
Old 11-17-2010, 12:51 PM
k_sonn

ORIGINAL: JeffH

Are you going to run a multiblade prop?
Imay. I'd like to run it with the APC 20x10 firstto see what the amp draw will be and then adjust from there. It has been a while since I've flown porp planes that I don't remember the formula for sizing a multi-bladed prop when comparing to a 2-bladed prop. I seem to remember something like drop one size in diameter and increase one size in pitch for every extra blade. Is this correct?

Kirk
Old 11-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Looking sweet Kirk

Hey keep us posted on the S-Bus setup.... I've been giving it some thought myself..
looks like a nice way to keep the install simple and clean.

hope it works out great... futaba makes great stuff , I couldn't be happier with there products.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:47 PM
k_sonn

More progress ...

Igreased up the pivot area of all 23 pin hinges and used hysol to glue them into the control surfaces.

Photo 1 - I'm using a Castle Creations Ice HV 160 controller. I know it's overkill but it's the smallest controller I have and I didn't want to purchase a new one when I have the HV 160 sitting around.
Photo 2 - I attached the controller to 2 strips of 3/8" x 1/2" bass wood and attached the unit to a former that sitsbehind the nose gear and in front of the elevator and rudder servos.
Photo 3 - The steering servo mount is designed to be epoxied to the nose gear former but I wanted it to be removable so I could easilyget to the controller. Iglued 1/2" x 1/2" strips of bass wood to the top and bottom of the mount and screwed the mount to the nose gear former.
Photo 4 - Everything installed in the front fuse compartment.
Photo 5 - I made a receiver mounting plate and attached it in the rear cockpit/wing area. At the top of the photo you can see where I mounted the 4-way terminal box for the Futaba S Bus system.
Photo 6 - Retract air valve and servo mount glued to the front of the cockpit/wing area.
Photo 7 - Everything installed in thr rear fuse compartment.

Kirk
Old 11-27-2010, 03:54 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Looks good Kirk. Interested to hear your thoughts on the s-bus system.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:52 PM
k_sonn

More progress ...

The Texan is about 98% complete. All that's left is to balance, set control throws and permanently attach the canopy (it's temporarily attached).

Photo 1 - Shows everything installed in the forward fuse area. From left to right: elevator servo, rudder servo, speed controller, steering servo, nose gear, 2 air tanks (under the nose gear), motor.
Photo 2 - Looking from the trailing edge of the wing saddle toward the forward fuse, In the middle of the photo you can see the elevator and rudder servos and the retract air valve and servo. Just inbehind the retract servo you can see the end of one of the S Bus cables. Plugged into this cable is the retract servo and another S Bus cable that runs forward and has the elevator, rudder, and steering serovs plugged into it.
Photo 3 - Looking from the leading edge of the wing saddle toward the rear of the fuse, From the top of the photo down: S Bus 4-way junction box, switch and battery box (holds an A123 receiver battery), S Bus receiver. Along the right side of the photo you can see the S Bus cable coming from the front fuse, the throttle cable, and (coming from the rearward fuse) the cable that connects the receiver to the 4-way junction box.

Kirk
Old 11-28-2010, 01:05 AM
k_sonn

ORIGINAL: smchale

Looks good Kirk. Interested to hear your thoughts on the s-bus system.
Thanks Sean. So far, I'm loving the S-Bus system. It so easy and simple to set up. You just plug a servo into the programming box, plug in the battery, turn the dail to the channel you want the servo to receive signals from, press a botton, wait for the light to quit flashing and the servo willrespond onlyto signals sent to the channel it is programmed to, chain the servos into an S-Bus cable and run the cable into the receiver. There is also a USB interface that allows you to use your computer toadjust end points, speed, etc. on the S-Bus servos. Here's the install diagram I made for the Texan showing how simple and clean the S-Bus system is.

Kirk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.