Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

T-6A Texan II 75-91 ARF build suggestions

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

T-6A Texan II 75-91 ARF build suggestions

Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 PM
deuce77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: T-6A Texan II 75-91 ARF build suggestions

I have used A123s exclusively in IMAC flying for two years with no problems. You do have to know your batteries as they are harder to check for charge than a LiIon or LiPo. You can check voltages and I do. I use a Fromeco 8-Ball Voltmeter which checks under no load and then adds a 1 amp load. I record the voltages before and after each flight (I catch a little flak for being so anal). You will see a small but consistent drop in voltage after every flight. When I get down to 6.25 volts under load I recharge. I then note and record how many mah I put back in the batteries. I seldom use over half the rated capacity of the batteries (I am conservative) but would rather not risk an expensive plane since the batteries recharge so fast. A123s are great: little risk of fire, they charge quickly, and they can put out lots of current. They are a little heavier. That's my take on them

My retract servos came in today so I guess I will be back to building the T-6
Jim
Old 01-20-2011, 06:35 PM
tagore

The stand is one that I got my lhs years ago and I can't see a brand name on it but has served me much better than the styro ones. Great advice on the 123's i will follwmyour advice and pull at 6.25. Maiden a few days away, I am getting excited
Old 01-20-2011, 09:00 PM
deuce77

One more note on the A123s. I usually recharged at 6.35 volts under a 1.0 amp load. But I have taken it down as low as 6.25. The stop-fly voltage (especially under load) will vary somewhat depending on the resistance in the path from the meter to the battery in your particular set-up so I suggest you charge early initially and then extend the number of flights depending on how many mah you put back in the battery. You can also test the batteries by doing a charge/discharge cycle periodically to see what their capacity really is. Hope this helps.
Jim
Old 01-21-2011, 08:41 AM
tagore

Here are a couple pictures showing the bend in the stearing pin I must have bent it while setting it up. I was goingt to move it to the opisite side of the stearing arm and I think it might have happend when I was trying to unscrew it. The thing is locked in there pretty tight and i couldnt get it to budge. The replacement is not just the pin but the whole arm so should be an easy fix. also I put a picture to show the air intake I Dremeled out of the cow. Hope to get the engine started tonight, but it has been raining... at least we have sun forcast for the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	db85134.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1550847   Click image for larger version

Name:	mh19510.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1550848   Click image for larger version

Name:	xc78244.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1550849  
Old 01-21-2011, 08:59 AM
deuce77

Great pictures! Your engine installation looks good, lots of air in and out of the cowl. This could be a good weekend to fly for both of us ( I live in Tualatin and fly at Dusters in Woodburn) so I will be interested to hear how the maiden flight goes. I am particularly interested in the retracts. I will pick up my retract servos today and hopefully a battery (if it has come in) and maybe be done with my plane in a week or so.
Jim
Old 01-21-2011, 09:11 AM
tagore

I am aslo in the PNW sop we have the same weather... I am up in Sw Washington and like to fly at the Toldeo Field LCRCER's I picked up this model last weekend at Tammies I don't go there often as i find i get myself into too much trouble.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:43 PM
bob418
My Feedback: (4)

All right you guys SUCK!! it is -10 degrees in WestBend with about 12 inch of snow!! no flying for me!

So Deuce how is getting the CGright with your brick of a battery?? Also Iknow the CG is 70mm from thetip of the wing, but where areyou actualychecking the CG-Iwould think to take astring from the tips (70mm back) and then mark that point where the wings havebeen expoxiedtogether????

Ialso hear and see your flights!!!

Iwill post a few pictures of my finished plane tomorrow
Old 01-21-2011, 06:54 PM
bob418

Tagore

Is this your stand?  http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=ERN157
Old 01-21-2011, 08:02 PM
tagore

Yeah that looks the stand. And thaT is how have figured the cg. And this plane is dead on no weights needed with the 123 in the back hatch. So the OS 91 is a great match. Hope to fly tomorrow but morning clouds and an afternoon Family obligation might push me to Sunday. If I am luckey I'll get in both days
Old 01-21-2011, 10:51 PM
deuce77

I saw the plane in Tammies (I go there all the time) after I had bought one from Coyote Hobbies (in Oregon City). Yours was $10.00 cheaper!

As to figuring out the CG on my plane, I just got the retract servos and am finishing up the cockpit. I do not have a battery yet (ordered a pair of 4000 mah 4s through Tammies). I also do not have the spinner yet. I will need these things to get the CG done. I will post some pics when I get a little further along.

Jim
Old 01-22-2011, 08:24 PM
tagore

Ok ready for the maiden tomorrow the engine is running great. and the repalcement stearing pin arrived and is much better no mote slop. I do have an extra part maybe someone could help me with. I can't seem to figure out where it goes. can't see it in the plans or on any of the actual photos of the plane.

Name:	Ig13316.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1551512  
Old 01-23-2011, 07:21 AM
bob418

TagoreThat goes on the leading edge of your left wing (see picture in this link - the picture upload is not that hot today )Iam not an expert on what is called what in real life, but in your parts you should have what looks like about a 2 inch black rod about 1/8 inch in diameter, and you shoud see or feel a hole in your left wing LEwhere that "instrument"inserts into and the piece in your picture is the covering. In my case I am not going crazy to start with with instruments pitot tubes, static wicks etc (since they are pieces that Iam sure will become a victum of hanger rash.But all those parts would look great!How about some close ups of the final bird! Love to see it!Enjoy your flight!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:39 AM
bob418

Here is a link to the picture (don't know why I can't post a picture)  BTW you will have to do lots triming on the at piece (that is what confused me at first)  http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...EA2565&Index=1 
Old 01-23-2011, 07:43 AM
bob418

Tagore

When I looked at your nose gear stearing pin - it looks like it is metal?? Mine is plastic where did you get your replacement an was it the whole assembley or just the pin? Interesting my is black plastic and yours looks like it it metal????
Old 01-23-2011, 09:36 AM
bob418

here is a picture of my nose gear stearing linkage (notice the black plastic linkage an threaded screw used as a pin (this will fail on me I am sure!)

Name:	Jh15392.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	1551673  
Old 01-23-2011, 09:55 AM
tagore

I am using the elite 60-120 electrics and metal is what it came with and also what I re installed after I bent the first one. Got it from horizon. I tried to post the link but the posting and pasting doesn't seem to be working. Thanks for the help on that part it was a head scratched. I have it on and it looks better than the pitot without. Which is what I was doing. I have epoxied all my wicks and I know they will drive me crazy but they look so good. Well time to pack up and head to the field. Hopefully the uploading feature on this site is fixed when iget back.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:05 PM
tagore

Ok maiden video comming soon. Hint it was Awsome.. Bob the stearable arm and pin for the Eflit is garbage not ment for flying on Grass fields. bent after thte first flight so maiden was all i got today. the pin that you show is 10 times stronger than the one that comes withthe eflite. I have taken out the pin screw from the mechanicals that came withthe plane ( the ones that you are showing) and put them in to my eflite arm. the eflites are straong but this pin is ridiculas. this new set up is stonger but i am going to see if i can't find a better option her is the hybred part i made fro the to peices.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:10 PM
tagore

Ok here it is. This was a great maiden. I had the guy that tought me how to fly do the piloting so i could get the video. I get nervous on most maidens and some times i am better off having more experienced thumbs take it up. unfortuantly the stearing arm pin bent again (we discovered after landing) and so this was its only flight for the day... i am working on a better pin sollution and hoping for a dry weekend so that i can take the contorls and get some flying time in. Enjoy the Video its about 3 minutes long and she really flies great. The pilot was very impressed with the handleing and tracking.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hze8l7pvd58[/youtube]
Old 01-23-2011, 07:40 PM
deuce77

Great flight video! Spurs me on to get mine done, Saturday was too nice not to go flying and today was...okay. You don't always get that kind of weather in January in the NW! Looks like it flies and lands fairly fast.
Jim
Old 01-24-2011, 12:20 PM
bob418

Tagore

great video can't wait for the snow to melt! Igotta put the skis on the t-28 and do some flying in the snow!!

Thanks- the plane really flies nice!! Iam excited!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:26 PM
bob418

Deuce

Iwas playing with my CGand with my Power 90 and 8 cell lipos Iam very nose heavy. So what Iam thinking of doing is to not install my CCPRO BEC(running off the lipos)and install a high mah Hydrimax 4.8vdc rc battery and put that in the aft battery box to shift my CGback. Also it give mecontrol surface power outside my Lipos - so if my lipos fail Ihave control of the plane even if Idead stick. Jus ta thought, i would be interested on how your CGcomes out.

Also new question on Props for electric motors - when you start swinging bigger props, with electric motors, the prop selction goes down (APC has the most opritons) but my question is can Iuse other props Xoar, or Vess props for nitro or gas on a electric motor?? Again Iam the new guy asking the stupid questions?? thanks!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:56 PM
deuce77

I do not have a lot of experience flying these mid-sized electrics. I mostly fly larger gas and some smaller electrics and foamies. That being said as to my qualifications, I have been told that the larger outrunners can use props designed for gas engines. Use a Watt-meter to determine the current draw with your particular set-up before flying and if you are in the range recommended by the motor manufacturer you should be okay. Then it just becomes a matter of how well it performs in the air. I am going to use an APC 16x8 for my first flight as it is one of the recommended ones by Eflight and will fit the Truturn spinner I ordered...if it ever arrives.

On the matter of balance: I still do not have my battery or spinner so am not there yet. However, it appears that there is room to slide the battery aft in the fuse, possibly building a support for it behind where the factory support ends. Since I do not have a battery yet I have not worked this out but it is a thought. You could go to 4000 mah packs which would lighten the front end a little with somewhat shorter flight times. After reading of your CG difficulties that is what I am doing. Since they are a little skinnier they may be easier to slide aft below the cockpit. I will let you know if that is the case.

I am thinking of making the wing outer sections removable as it would make transportation and set-up easier.

I spruced up the cockpit a little and it looks quite nice. I will post pics after I get the tape off holding the canopy on. I glued it on with canopy glue which has worked well for me in the past.

Jim
Old 01-25-2011, 05:27 PM
bob418

Deuce

I just weighed out my plane and it came right at 11lbs.  I am still working on my cg issue, I might go to a A123 battery in the rear battery compartment this will give me a seperate power for my servos (just in case I lose my lipos)  I dont mind a dead stick but a loss of control would be a BIG crash!

Also that would move about 4.3 ozs to the rear of the fuse which will hwlp with my CG.  I hate to add wieght that has no value.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 PM
deuce77

Still waiting on parts to get this thing done. I posted some pics of my cockpit detail. It is still sort of stand (way) off scale but better than what comes in the kit, and the single pilot is lighter than the two stock pilot figures. My son, who flew these planes for three years as an IP at Laughlin AFB returned home today from England and was quite impressed with the model. Unfortunately, he will not get a chance to see it fly before he leaves. I did show him your maiden flight, tagore. Cool stuff.

Name:	Om33142.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1553237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20518.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1553238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm21912.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1553239  
Old 01-26-2011, 03:03 PM
tagore

Great looking cockpit and pilot. I wasn't sure where a singile pilot would sit. In cubs because of weighthey swit in the back seat but i would guess they sit in the front and you would know with your son having flown them. Also your figures are much better looking than the ones that came with. As for my problem withthe Stearing pin bending i am going to try the follow. See pics (the midle one is what happend after one flight) so my thought was to bore out the hole and put at 2/56 screw to hold the attachment peice to the arm. It may still bend but hopefully last longer and i can keep a few in my tool box to fix as needed. If anyone has a better idea i am up for it.

Name:	Pm34908.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	1553565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38319.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1553566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41822.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1553567  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.