Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

So many planes, man am I in trouble!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

So many planes, man am I in trouble!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So many planes, man am I in trouble!!!!!!!

Been away from the hobby and just recently returned, kids are older now and can enjoy it with me..

The problem I have now, is all the dang planes out there!! Man every time I click on a thread, I want a different plane.. I am a warbird nut, love them all. I got some builds just starting and will be sure to post a build thread to get some ideas from everyone. Just clicking on this site over the last week, I picked up some great tips and refreshed my memory on a bunch of others. I feel nervous getting ready to build again, pretty funny stuff, hope it's like riding a bike....
Just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the awesome info y'all post, look forward to being a active member myself...

Jimbo

Old 01-05-2011, 05:16 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: So many planes, man am I in trouble!!!!!!!

welcome to RCU , do yourself a favor make sure you have the space for all your new toys before purchase , pull out the tape measure and start thinking STORAGE ! LOL most of us come to this the hard way ! LOL
Old 01-05-2011, 07:17 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to get lost for a while, check out www.airfieldmodels.com
You can spend days going through Paul Johnson's site and learn a bunch.

Scott
Old 01-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Mustangman40

Thanks for the link, will be spending some time there learning any new stuff i can...

I here ya on the space, already got the basement all to myself... When me and the wife got married i was still in the hobby, the two bedroom condo with a one car garage quickly filled up. I was building on the dinning room table for a bit, that was a treat.. All my stuff has been in boxes for years, it's been fun opening them all up and seeing what I have..

Question..
Had some Epoxy that still looked fine, mixed some up and it set.. Would you trust it being it has to be at least 10 years old?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:58 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What have you flown in the past and what planes do you have to fly to refresh your skills? Are you in a club - maybe they can give you some help getting back to flying?

Have you built many planes? Top Flite makes good 60 size warbird kits. Their gold edition planes fly well. Their 60 size p47 kit is easy to build and flies very well. Their mustang flies well too. Their giant scale mustang is another good choice but maybe later after you get some practice with the smaller warbirds.

Another good choice if you have done a lot of building is the Ziroli kits.

By the way I would toss the old epoxy.

Ed
Old 01-06-2011, 05:26 AM
Oberst
Banned

Welcome back Brother.

Pete
Old 01-06-2011, 05:39 AM
Augie11

ORIGINAL: rc34074

What have you flown in the past and what planes do you have to fly to refresh your skills? Are you in a club - maybe they can give you some help getting back to flying?

Have you built many planes? Top Flite makes good 60 size warbird kits. Their gold edition planes fly well. Their 60 size p47 kit is easy to build and flies very well. Their mustang flies well too. Their giant scale mustang is another good choice but maybe later after you get some practice with the smaller warbirds.

Ed
Think I'd toss the epoxy too. You make me smile though. When I got back in some 15 years ago, I too had 'the whole basement to myself'. Well, I've crashed a bunch but built a LOT more. And even though I thought out the plane storage, I just came to the point where I have 20 airworthy planes, 7 of them bipes. And guess what - NO MORE ROOM! Should I stop building?

NAH-
Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Might save the epoxy for fuel proofing, repairs around the house, etc. Welcome back to a great hobby, however!
Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 AM
glazier808

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome back! Those aren't nerves, that's excitement! Give it a min, and you'll be right back on that bike!

Casey
Old 01-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: rc34074

Ed

Ed, you must know me..
I have a 60 size TF P-47 about 75% built, also have a GS TF P-47 new in the box.. I also have a GP little Toni that I will put together, motor is already on with the cowl all done... I built the TF mustang years ago and loved that plane, but sold it to a very deserving gentlemen.

True story..
I had put a picture in a LHS with my mustang for sale and got a call from a local man asking if I could deliver it, he was fairly close, so I agreed... When I walked into his house I was floored at what I seen!
On the walls were pictures of him in WWII with his fighter group as well as him with his plane, give ya a little hint, the planes had red tails!!!!!!
I was standing in the house of a original Tuskegee air men, what a treat and I felt honored that he was going to strip down my (Big Beautiful doll) and redo it as his plane in his service colors... I sold him the plane at a very cheap price, spent a couple hours talking with him and thanking him for his service. What a very interesting man and the stories were AWESOME!
I was a kid at the time, had I been a little more grown up I probably would have offered to strip it for him and do the new colors free of charge. I did bring him all the scale options I was going to keep for another project, static 4 blade prop and spinner and drop tanks.. Funny thing happened while I was visiting with him. I am a white male and he lived in a black neighborhood, his grandson came in while I was there and gave me a weird look.. He quickly introduced me to him and said this is a young man who appreciates what I did for this country, he shook my hand and said, whish more people did! Well It was very cool experience and for the life of me, I cant remember the mans name (that's bad, I know).
I am sure he has passed on as he was up in age at the time, but I still think about it and feel very happy that I was able to thank him!

Sorry about the long post!

I also have several Zarloi plans that have to be 25 years old, have they changed or are they still the same. I will look and see what ones I have, I know I have the P-51 and Stuka, not sure what the others are. Still inventorying everything, lol...

I am also looking for a local club right now, there is one in Rockford IL and one in Freeport IL that are the closest. I will take a look at both and join the one that fits me the best..
I also plan on picking up something easy to fly to knock off the webs, as well as teach my 10 year old son how to fly. I was looking at a high wing trainer for the boy, but think I will skip that and go with a low wing. He is pretty good with his cheap RC helicopters flying around the house, so I think he will do fine with a low wing.. I was looking at the TF contender, I have flown them over the years and they always flew real well. I have a good OS 60 already and I think it would make for a nice father son build.
Well sorry for the long post, thanks for all the ideas and the warm welcome back....

Old 01-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

welcome back cotter!

my stable isn't that big:

~ GP 25sized combat P-40 (arf)
~ Kyosho 50sized P-40 (highly modded arf)
~ Top Flite 60sized P-40 (modded kit)

and hopefully I'll be adding a Me 109F/G too.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:14 PM
jmohn

Welcome back!

Storage is my biggest problem. So far I have been fine as I seem to find people that want my planes after I get bored with them.

In my hanger:

H9 Taylorcraft
GP Stearman
ESM Stuka
ESM P-40
ESM Hurricane
ESM LA-7
ESM Me-110 (until last weekend)
Sig P-51B (just put back into service as it's so fun to fly around)
H9 150-P-51D (just pulled the engine out for service)

Under construction:

Iron Bay Corsair
Miko P-47

Jeff
Old 01-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: jmohn

Welcome back!

Storage is my biggest problem. So far I have been fine as I seem to find people that want my planes after I get bored with them.

In my hanger:

H9 Taylorcraft
GP Stearman
ESM Stuka
ESM P-40
ESM Hurricane
ESM LA-7
ESM Me-110 (until last weekend)
Sig P-51B (just put back into service as it's so fun to fly around)
H9 150-P-51D (just pulled the engine out for service)

Under construction:

Iron Bay Corsair
Miko P-47

Jeff
Jeff,
I see that you have several of the EMS Arf's. Have you been happy with them? I like the looks and think they would make a good plane that you don't have so much time invested in and are a afraid to fly..lol Are they a good everyday type warbird, they do look very nice for the money. But I know looks can fool ya...

I agree on the epoxy, gone just use it for fuel proofing............