Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Best 9 thru 12 channel 2.4 Radio?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Best 9 thru 12 channel 2.4 Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 04:29 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best 9 thru 12 channel 2.4 Radio?

I am on a budget and will be looking for a good used radio very soon. I need the most channels I can get for my buck. What would you all suggest for ease of operation and reliablity? It must be 2.4 Mhz and not a module add on. Thank you all in advance for your replies.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:15 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Default RE: Best 9 thru 12 channel 2.4 Radio?

Prepare for a can of worms as everyone claims their system is the best. Personally I have the Futaba 10C and a Spektrum DX-7 for all my micro planes. Both systems serve a different purpose and it works for my needs

if I had to choose between both I would go with my Futaba 10C. The drawback is RX's are expensive. The Spektrum radios are great and their RX's are not as expensive. Also consider the Hitec Aurora

good luck with your search
Old 02-07-2011, 07:14 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Barry, It has to be the Futaba 10CAG. What a great radio!. It has an extensive software that is user friendly. The antenna is built in and it runs on eight NiCads. I've used mine extensively with distances and antenna configurations I would never do normally just to test its capabilities. Here's what I posted about the 9Z that I installed a module into just to get my feet wet. Dan.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...tm.htm#8875436
Old 02-07-2011, 07:47 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will agree, this is a Chevy verus Ford question. I do agree, I am a Futaba kinda guy and I just love them. I have used Futaba for more years than I care to remember and when 2.4 came out, Futaba was right there. The only down side to Futaba is that they missed the boat with the bind and fly market, but the simplicity of programming and features makes up for it. Good Luck, Dave
Old 02-07-2011, 08:15 PM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both the Futaba 10C and 12FG. I agree it's the 10C if you're on a budget and like user friendly programming and can get help at the field easily when you get stuck. Our club has one older fellow that's been married to JR 9303 and the poor guy gets senile and does not remember the programming secquence and can't get help at the field because everybody else uses futaba or Spectrum radios. I've tried to help him and learned to hate the JR complex programming sequences. I've used the 10C without having to read the manual at all because the sequences are very similar to the older Futaba 9C. The one area that I like about my 12FG better is how easy it is to program big wings with 4 servos to match each other. But since you're on the budget, you may not need to mess with giant complex birds to worry about their programming.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, I'll bite. The only servos I have ever had fail in the air were Futaba. No indictment on Futaba, just a fact of my experience, but it has effected my preference. For years I used Futaba, Hitec, and JR radios. I am an exclusive JR/Spectrum transmitter user now. I have worked up through the different JR grades and am currently using the 10X (with the JR 2.4 module) for most of my aerobatic and giant scale stuff. I use a Spectrum 6I for the smaller stuff and electric planes. I still have a couple planes on a narrow band 9303, and have no problem with it either. I see nothing especially difficult about the programing of any of these radios.

I have absolutely no problems with my 10X on the module, none, and that is including my Meister P-47 with the foil covering. No issues.

My brother flies Futaba, and has used my radios and I his. You can find good things in every major brand, so I really do think it is more a Ford Chevy comparison than many guys are willing to admit.

If the budget is tight, but you would like to get in the spread spectrum range anyway, I would go on line, pick up one of the many narrow band JR10X radios available (I have seen them for less than $200), add the 2.4 JR module for about $100 (less than half what it costs to convert a Futaba), and go fly. Nothing wrong with these things. The one drawback is that you loose 1 channel going to 2.4, so it turns it into a 9X. You will have an outstanding radio, on a very small budget.

The only reason I'm considering an upgrade is to get one or two more channels, for more options on the giant scale war birds. No rush as what I have is sufficient for now.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:44 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Futaba 7, 10, & 12 channel Tx (ALL 2.4). The 12 is simply awesome with it's capabilities, BUT it is extremely difficult to program (nothing like previous Futaba transmitters), and roughly double the cost of the 10. If ya don't need 12 channels: I recommend the 10.
BTW: I DO use all 12 channels on my Top Fite P-47 Thunderbolt, since I have proportional hi torq servos on EACH retract (3 total), and Vortac bomb drops. The retracts are programmed (from the Tx) to operate SLOWLY, and at different speeds: VERY realistic looking, and I wouldn't be able to do that with the 10
Old 02-08-2011, 03:52 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

I suggest you purchase what people at your field are using. It is much easier to get help or ideas from others that way. I am the only person at our field using a Multiplex MC4000, no help from anyone but flawless preformance over several years. It will have to be pried from my cold stiff hands when I die. At some point I will have to get a Weatronics 2.4 setup for it.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:12 AM
VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS
My Feedback: (159)

I have been flying for years. ek logic, Kraft, Futaba, Spektrun DX7, and now I am awaiting delivery on my new AIRTRONICS 10 chan.
Their are some comparison reports available compareing the radios.
Take a look and read.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:38 AM
MaxAdventure
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS

I have been flying for years. ek logic, Kraft, Futaba, Spektrun DX7, and now I am awaiting delivery on my new AIRTRONICS 10 chan.
Their are some comparison reports available compareing the radios.
Take a look and read.

Above is the best advice yet IMHO. There is some awesome technology out there and all the big name have some unique features that may be BEST for YOU.

Hitec Aurora already has 2-way telemetry and great features for the price
Spektrum/JR has some awesome BNF ARF models if you like to pick up new things to fly right away
Futaba has a new power bus that is phenomenal if you want to protect a big investment in your aircraft
Airtronics has always been a very solid radio with a unique approach at features.

I was die-hard Futaba myself for 30 years and recently embraced JR when going 2.4ghz. Both great radios.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest you set your budget first, then compare whats out there at that price point. If you want to spend 400ish, you have the SD-10 and Aurora 9. For 5-600, you have the 9503 or 10c If you have 1000ish, then Futaba 12FG and JR 11x are your options, 1500 12x and 12Z.

Prioritize your wants, cost, # of channels, then feel, then Rx cost???

It is MUCH better to acutally hold the Tx before you buy. I have a 10x, 12FG, and SD-10. The 12fg is on the small side for hands, but my buddy fits it great, but he can't hold the SD-10 comfortably because his hands are too small. He has the Aurora, and it is too small for me. The best feeling radio I ever flew with was a Futaba 14MZ, but I like big and heavy transmitters. The 10x has awesome gimbals as does the 12x. The SD-10 is good, and the 12fg and the Aurora is better than the SD-10, but niether are great in my book.

I am in the IT field and people are ALWAYS asking me which computers to buy, and my answer is the same. What is your budget, once you get that figured out, then go shopping. Get the most RAM and graphics capability for the money you are spending.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:10 PM
NCIS

This radio is going to be used for my 96" Ziroli P-40 and my 124" blown up Ziroli Corsair. I need at least 10 working channels and want to stay under $750.00 new or a 12 or 14 used for about that same price. Is this possible. I've been looking on here and Flying Giants for a good radio. I would really love 12 channels because if I put everything on my Corsair I want to it will need that many. Is it tru that most events don't allow anything other than 2.4 now?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:55 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: NCIS

This radio is going to be used for my 96'' Ziroli P-40 and my 124'' blown up Ziroli Corsair. I need at least 10 working channels and want to stay under $750.00 new or a 12 or 14 used for about that same price. Is this possible. I've been looking on here and Flying Giants for a good radio. I would really love 12 channels because if I put everything on my Corsair I want to it will need that many. Is it tru that most events don't allow anything other than 2.4 now?
Yes. 2.4 at most credited events is either now, or soon will be the only option. Florida Jets, Top Gun, Joe Nall, Monster Planes, are a few I'm certain of. I know there are many more.

Think about it. NO impound. This is a very big deal to the hosts. Frees them up to attend to other things better, eliminates frequency conflicts, and those occasional radio incidents in the impound as well.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:38 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I have used..

JR 9303
JR 11X
JR 10X
JR DX7/5/6i
Fut. 9z, 10c, 14mz

Of all those, i believe the JR 11X is the best "bang for the buck" and was the most comfortable to hold to me. It also had alot of nifty features that none of the other radio's do, and has a TON of programming potential. The only down-side, is the manual SUCKS
Old 02-08-2011, 03:48 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: invertmast

I have used..

JR 9303
JR 11X
JR 10X
JR DX7/5/6i
Fut. 9z, 10c, 14mz

Of all those, i believe the JR 11X is the best ''bang for the buck'' and was the most comfortable to hold to me. It also had alot of nifty features that none of the other radio's do, and has a TON of programming potential. The only down-side, is the manual SUCKS
I have been considering the 11X myself. How would you compare it specifically to the 10X as far as programing? Thanks.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:07 PM
NCIS

Horizon Hobby is temporarily out of stock of the JR 11X but they think they will be back in stock in late March which is more than soon enough for me. They want $749.00 for it and provide free shipping. I think this will be my radio of choice. It also comes with the receiver. What receiver do I need for my planes I mentioned in my previous post? I like the idea of having a new radio vs a used radio. The warranty is worth the wait. Is there anything else I need to know before I order one?
Old 02-08-2011, 05:35 PM
All Day Dan

You bet! If it's important to you, make sure that all the channels are fully functional. That means they should have such things as endpoint, reverse, neutral trim, expo, mix, etc. Also, JR may be in a state of transition as they could be changing their operating system to one that does frequency hopping across the band instead of selecting two only. Dan.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:48 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

I have used..

JR 9303
JR 11X
JR 10X
JR DX7/5/6i
Fut. 9z, 10c, 14mz

Of all those, i believe the JR 11X is the best ''bang for the buck'' and was the most comfortable to hold to me. It also had alot of nifty features that none of the other radio's do, and has a TON of programming potential. The only down-side, is the manual SUCKS
I have been considering the 11X myself. How would you compare it specifically to the 10X as far as programing? Thanks.

The 11X has so much potential in the programming department, i really haven't gotten into 1/2 of its potential. It has 3 timers, auto switch assign, you can set up certain functions to only work when certain switch/stick positions are in the correct position, the SD card slot allows updating the software w/o having to send in the radio. The "my list" feature allows you to set certain items (ATV, Expo/DR, timer, mix's, etc) under a user defined "list" that allows quick reference to just those items. You can also switch models w/o having to cycle the power switch. Again, the biggest down-side to the radio is the lack of info in the manual. the manual basically tells you how to do basic programming functions and that is it. On the Flying G I A N T S website, their is a thread that a few of the guys explain how to do the more complex programming functions.

I had a 9303 and was debating on buying the 12X. When i saw the 11X "zero" JR announced about 9 months before the 11X was announced by HH, i knew that was the radio i wanted b/c it had a few features the 12X did not and the price was just right.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:51 PM
invertmast

Horizon Hobby is temporarily out of stock of the JR 11X but they think they will be back in stock in late March which is more than soon enough for me. They want $749.00 for it and provide free shipping. I think this will be my radio of choice. It also comes with the receiver. What receiver do I need for my planes I mentioned in my previous post? I like the idea of having a new radio vs a used radio. The warranty is worth the wait. Is there anything else I need to know before I order one?

For most of my stuff i'm running either the JR921 or the Spektrum AR9100.

the AR921 i use a pair of A123 batteries through a powerbox electronic switch.
OR
the AR9100 w/ a pair of A123's running directly to the Rx through the hi current leads.

For the larger jets I run the AR9200's or the Spektrum Powerbox Royal's.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:47 PM
ram3500-RCU

I have used..

JR 9303
JR 11X
JR 10X
JR DX7/5/6i
Fut. 9z, 10c, 14mz

The 11X has so much potential in the programming department, i really haven't gotten into 1/2 of its potential. It has 3 timers, auto switch assign, you can set up certain functions to only work when certain switch/stick positions are in the correct position, the SD card slot allows updating the software w/o having to send in the radio. The ''my list'' feature allows you to set certain items (ATV, Expo/DR, timer, mix's, etc) under a user defined ''list'' that allows quick reference to just those items. You can also switch models w/o having to cycle the power switch. Again, the biggest down-side to the radio is the lack of info in the manual. the manual basically tells you how to do basic programming functions and that is it. On the Flying G I A N T S website, their is a thread that a few of the guys explain how to do the more complex programming functions.

I had a 9303 and was debating on buying the 12X. When i saw the 11X ''zero'' JR announced about 9 months before the 11X was announced by HH, i knew that was the radio i wanted b/c it had a few features the 12X did not and the price was just right.
Thanks pal. This sounds like it will be my next radio. The LHS has several in stock. Very cool. Everything you mentioned is very useful programming. Thanks.

Gary
Old 02-09-2011, 01:53 PM
invertmast

I have used..

JR 9303
JR 11X
JR 10X
JR DX7/5/6i
Fut. 9z, 10c, 14mz

The 11X has so much potential in the programming department, i really haven't gotten into 1/2 of its potential. It has 3 timers, auto switch assign, you can set up certain functions to only work when certain switch/stick positions are in the correct position, the SD card slot allows updating the software w/o having to send in the radio. The ''my list'' feature allows you to set certain items (ATV, Expo/DR, timer, mix's, etc) under a user defined ''list'' that allows quick reference to just those items. You can also switch models w/o having to cycle the power switch. Again, the biggest down-side to the radio is the lack of info in the manual. the manual basically tells you how to do basic programming functions and that is it. On the Flying G I A N T S website, their is a thread that a few of the guys explain how to do the more complex programming functions.

I had a 9303 and was debating on buying the 12X. When i saw the 11X ''zero'' JR announced about 9 months before the 11X was announced by HH, i knew that was the radio i wanted b/c it had a few features the 12X did not and the price was just right.
Thanks pal. This sounds like it will be my next radio. The LHS has several in stock. Very cool. Everything you mentioned is very useful programming. Thanks.

Gary

I think you will be pleased. I told the LHS owner to call horizon and pre-order me one before they even announced them state-side... of-course they wouldn't let him do it, but I received mine the first day they came out. The radio has filled every expectation i had of it, and i'll be getting really involved with the programming once i start figuring out the electronics in the F-14
Old 02-09-2011, 03:57 PM
ram3500-RCU

Please PM me with any tips you feel will be helpful to an old timer.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:04 PM
NCIS

I am going to wait about a year before I buy my radio. Now I know I want the JR 11X but it's new and maybe in a year when I'm finishing my Corsair and need it I will find one either NIB or slightly used that someone needs or wants to sell. I am hoping to pick one up for between $500.00 and $600.00 used. We shall see! Any comments? Thank you all for all your advice.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:19 PM
ram3500-RCU

I am going to wait about a year before I buy my radio. Now I know I want the JR 11X but it's new and maybe in a year when I'm finishing my Corsair and need it I will find one either NIB or slightly used that someone needs or wants to sell. I am hoping to pick one up for between $500.00 and $600.00 used. We shall see! Any comments? Thank you all for all your advice.
I'm right there with ya pal. I just hope to snag one sooner.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:20 PM
All Day Dan

Barry, postponing the purchase of a JR radio at this time is the correct thing to do. Go to this website and you will see what I mean.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/DSMX/
That guy is explaining why the Spectrum system is being changed to a more robust type of frequency hopping. That is the type of transmission that Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics use. Since JR uses the Spectrum design it wouldn't surprise me if they make the shift also. JR has already started a redesign of their system for sale abroad but I am sure they will make it available here eventually. You can put down your money then if the JR still appeals to you. Dan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.