Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Robin Olds, "FIGHTER PILOT"

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Robin Olds, "FIGHTER PILOT"

Old 02-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Saburo Sakai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robin Olds, "FIGHTER PILOT"

http://www.amazon.com/Fighter-Pilot-...8060031&sr=8-1

Dear fellow flyers,
IF you haven't seen or heard aboutit, it merits our attention. This is a moving read by the legend himself, Colonel Robin Olds, on his pre-WWII training to Europe in P-38s and P-51s to multiple-Acedom, to F-80s and F-86s, and tohis uplifting run as Wing Commander ofthe 8th Tactical Fighter Wing (Vietnam), and then the Commandant who brought fire to the Air Force Acadamy after his tour. It's a very human account of a larger-than-life American hero. He retired a Brigadier General.

The Legend remains that, in a dark sub basement in the Pentagon behind a secure door stands a hardened, tall encasement. It's labeled: "This Case Contains Col. Robin Olds: Break Glass ONLY in Case of Emergency".
I thank the Lord for men like you, Colonel Olds, and sleep better at night knowing there are men like you serving freedom today.

***NOTE: I receive no monies or perks for this endorsement, though I stand ready and willing to

And, while NOT DIVULGING too manyof the GOODIES in this noble Tome, I'll give you just a taste:
He's just shot down his 4th MiG over North Vietnam with his loyal "GIB" (Guy In Back) and, shortly,hears from the Pentagon that on the downing of MiG number Five he'll be shuttled back home for a ticker-tape tour IMMEDIATLY.
As a leader of men, this troubles the Colonel. They needhim! So, with many more fat MiGs floating into his sites, does this predator of the air curb his instincts so that he can STAYWITH HIS MEN who by now love him as the natural leader they've always needed???? Can he????

CouldYou???????

You will have to read the book to find out!I envy those of you who haven't read this book yet to see!!!
Old 02-18-2011, 01:00 PM
jmohn

Default RE: Robin Olds, "FIGHTER PILOT"

Already read that book. It's a great story. I especially like the part when he uses ECM pods on his F-5s to get the NVC to come up and fight them

Good story of a fighter pilot that refused to take a desk job.

Jeff
Old 02-18-2011, 01:29 PM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

Verry good read, I saw the book at our local libary started reading it and couldn't put it down.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Saburo Sakai

I added something on the bottom of my post I'd forgotten too.
Keep flyin'
Old 02-18-2011, 04:17 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the best part of the book , was when he almost crashed going after , i think it was 2 me109s in his p-38
Old 02-18-2011, 04:23 PM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

He gives a nice interview on eaa.org in the voice archives, he talks how he started and his bolo techniques in vietnam, great man and pilot
Old 02-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Saburo Sakai

Without DIVULGING too many of the GOODIES in his noble Tome, here's a teaser, a TASTE:
.....Upon his 4th MiG kill over North Vietnam, word came down from the Pentagon that the Colonel would be quickly returned to the States for a big ticker-tape parade and publicity tour IMMEDIATLY after he downed his fifth MiG.
As a leader of men in harms way, this troubled the Colonel. No way would they take him from his boys!
BUT !!! Could he, a true predator of the air, with a fat MiG dancing in his sights, DENY himself the pleasure?????
Could he? Could YOU????????

You'll have to read the BOOK! I cannot deny my fellow fliers that great pleasure!!!
Enjoy!!!!
Old 02-18-2011, 05:26 PM
prop wash

YES,great man and "Patriot",we are very much blessed to have men like this still alive and active.What a great leader,going against the num nuts in the pentagon.
Tom
Old 02-18-2011, 06:09 PM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

Default RE: Robin Olds,

He passed away last year.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Saburo Sakai

Default RE: Robin Olds,

You guys on the noble Warbirds Categoryare BUSY: this thread is already, in less than a week since creation, on Page 6!!! I gotta tell you, I'm impressed-and a little scared by the speed!!! Just like FLYING!!!

Read his book if just to see what then Colonel Olds said to LBJ right afterhe returned from Thailand and SEA. Itwas absolutely BEAUTIFUL !!! And it RATTLED POLITICAL CAGES SO MUCH it kept him in Washington FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK!!! What a great human being, what a great LEADER. We miss you, Colonel Olds!!!
God bless you Vietnam era Vets (including my Dad '64)!!!