Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CARF-Models P-47 Thunderbolt

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CARF-Models P-47 Thunderbolt

Old 08-06-2011, 08:52 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: CARF-Models P-47 Thunderbolt

I describe the gear door and gear set up on the JetTronics valves, in the manual.
Obviously, it will be different depending upon your radio, but the basic set up remains the same.
With a 14MZ you have the luxury of being able to 'slew' (delay) whatever channel you wish. I had to resort to some very fancy mixing on my 10C, but the Futaba website was very helpful in this regard.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:22 AM
DENTO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: TJPro351

ORIGINAL: RichardGee

IF your JETTronics valves have only one input and one output, they are the WRONG VALVES.
I puzzled over this for quite some time before contacting CARF... I thought I was just an IDIOT[X(], but found out that no amount of engineering would have allowed me to use these valves to operate the gear and doors...

Contact your CARF Sale Rep and let them know you received the wrong valves in your pnuematics kit.
Here is a picture of the correct valve.

Whew, thanks Richard. I was racking my brain cells trying to figure this out. Did you use seperate channels for the Jet Tronics and slave them to the gear channel? Not there yet but thinking ahead on how to program the radio. I have a 14Mz and I'm sure there is a function or two in there to slave each channel and allow the delay between doors and gear. I do use a 3 second delay for my flaps to go down on my corsair.

I wonder if Darrell could design a spacer behind the Solo Hub.
HI
Also have an 14Mz,But depense what power system you use Iam going with a power box SRS COCKPIT that has a built in door sequenzer make things very easy, like Richard said wrong valve .
REGARDS JOHN
Old 08-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Richard, I got my plane yesterday... awesome quality, and impressive model.

I read your post regarding the prop been to close to the cowling for scale.
I had the same problem with my AW FW 190. (In fact, the prop was hitting the front of the cowling).
I used a prop spacer and it worked; but that didn't avoid the valve levers adjusting screws from hitting the inside of the cowling.

What I did (I know it may sound crazy) was to cut with a dremel disk the bolts that adjust the valves, as close as possible to the nuts.
You don't need that extra length of the bolts protruding out. I did that after calibrating the valves and just left enough thread for any future adjustment (about 1mm or less)
This easy fix allows to move the motor quite a bit forward

Advise: just don't cry as I did when cutting the bolts.... LOL.

I hope not to bother you too much while building mine !!

Jack
Old 08-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Jack Diaz

Richard, I saw on the Manual that you use a Thor Ignition Driver.
Excuse my ignorance, but: what is that?

jack
Old 08-07-2011, 11:25 AM
RichardGee

Hi Jack,
NO BOTHER AT ALL I want to help, if I can!

Well, your idea about shortening the adjusting screws certainly makes sense, but now that my linkage and everything is all set for where my Moki is mounted, I am thinking the easiest fix is to extend the prop shaft perhaps a cm or two; I have not yet calculated the scale distance.

The THOR ignition driver is a device made by 42% Products. It eliminates the extra ignition battery, extra switch, and engine kill... the THOR does it all using your on-board radio batteries. You simply plug it into any unused channel (On/OFF switch channel) and it provides power to the ignition module while also functioning as a Kill switch. It only goes on when your radio goes on.

I use these in ALL my gas planes and cannot understand why anyone would not!![X(]
Simpler, lighter, more reliable.
http://42-percent-products.com/home.html
Old 08-08-2011, 05:23 PM
rplabonte

As most may know I provide the spare parts and accessory support for Carf-Models. It was brought to my attention recently that our pnuematics completion packs may have the wrong Jet-Tronics valves included in these kits. I spot checked these upon my arrival at the shop today and did in fact discover some of these completion packs has the single output (brake) valve and not the dual output valve. I'm sorry we missed this and will assure all that received the wrong valve that we will be exchanging these. We will be contacting customers that recently purchased these kits to make the neccessary arrangements to correct the error. Feel free to make contact with me if you need us to arrange for the exchange. We appreciate everyones assistance and understanding.

My personel P-47 kit is currently on the way to me from our central warehouse in Reno, Nevada. We now have open stock on the kits and can provide shipping within 24 - 48 hours of confirmation of an order here in the USA.

Regards

Ray Labonte
Carf-Models Direct Sales North America

www.carf-models.com

Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Jack Diaz

Hi guys, Richard gave us a great idea regarding how to use the bottom part of the kit box as a cradle.

Here is my idea for the top part

Jack
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50462.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	1647042  
Old 08-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Jack Diaz

Just did the elevators.
Found a couple of issues:

- The holes in the CF torque rod were a bit too big for the 3mm bolts. I used a little bit of thin CA in the holes and tapped using the bolts with some vaseline. Solved!

- Elevators were not aligned. Had a difference of about 1/4".
The position of each elevator is defined by the retention bolt head "pocket" (or recess). Slightly modified the "pockets" of one elevator (carefully removing material from the front side, and adding material on the opposite for a tight fit of the bolt heads). Trial and error, of course. Solved!

Back to work
Old 08-10-2011, 03:13 PM
DENTO

HI If any body is interested in putting a servo on the tail wheel, Many of you may already aware, That scott prossen has the ansewer at RE 144 IN RCU If I knew how to add a link I would,It solves the problem of it being a pain with it as it is now on one servo, Only my thought .
REGARDS
JOHN
Old 08-10-2011, 03:24 PM
RichardGee

Hi Jack,

Mine had a very slight difference between the two elevator alignments, but it was more like 1/16 of an inch... noticeable (to me), but of no real concern.

I did mention this to Andreas when I met him at CA Jets this year. He was surprised as evidently they jig the elevators before they drill the retention holes. He expressed that there should be NO difference between the two. It makes me wonder if somehow two different elevators (from two different construction lots) got combined in your kit?

Just a thought.... glad you got it fixed and are forging ahead
Old 08-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Jack Diaz

Just a thought for consideration:
Since the force from the torque rod to the elevators is transferred basically via the bolt heads thru the "pockets", it may not be a bad idea to apply a thin coat of Evercote Polyester Putty to the walls of the "pockets", and immediately install the bolts with some vaseline on the head [X(].
This will ensure full contact between the heads and the pockets.
In addition, for those like me who have to take the elevators off to transport the plane to the field, this will guarantee a consistent alignment of the elevators every time.

Jack
Old 08-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Jack Diaz

Hi Richard:
After you have flown it, which elevator and aileron travel do you recommend?

Jack
Old 08-16-2011, 08:53 PM
RichardGee

I have not made any surface travel changes from what I recommend in the manual. These settings seem perfect to me.
The plane flies very true.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 PM
DaveGee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Richard: I am very interested in the P-47 CARF model. Another modeler who has seen and talked to the designer of the CARF Corsair said that there is no three-view for the Corsair, that he scaled it up to fit the Moki and made the rest of hte plane conform and look scale-like.

If I buy the P-47 kit, I would undoubtedly use it in scale contests where a three-view is required to be submitted to the judges. My question then is: does the P-47 have a three-view drawing that could be used to authenticate the shape and size of the model to the judges' satisfaction? I'm sure you well know that at contests like Top Gun and Scale masters, the scale scores can be won or lost by fractions of a point!

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Davegee
Old 08-17-2011, 05:15 PM
RichardGee

Dave,
I do not know how accurate this airplane model is. I have talked to the designer and his comment was that it was extremely accurate, but I did not ask him to quantify his statement.
He did well at Top Gun, so I must imagine it is pretty darn close!
You could write your CARF Sales rep and see if he might know?

I was not planning on competition so was not extremely concerned, but I do know that that high level competition requires accuracy of outline.
The comparisons I did to a 3 view, when positioning my markings, led me to believe the model is quite accurate.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:06 PM
DaveGee

Hi Richard: that was my take on it too, that it does look quite accurate, at least what I can tell from photos and some videos I have seen so far. If it has competed at Top Gun and done well, that speaks well of it.

Thanks for your comments.

Davegee
Old 08-17-2011, 07:46 PM
john534

Hi guys,
If I could ask a favor of any of you guys that are in the mist of building your Jug.....
I am trying to check a motor alignment/configuration and I need the in-side dimensions of the cowl at the firewall, top to bottom, side to side, and on the center lines.

Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate it.

John
Old 08-18-2011, 02:37 AM
wxman2
My Feedback: (52)

ORIGINAL: DaveGee

Hi Richard: that was my take on it too, that it does look quite accurate, at least what I can tell from photos and some videos I have seen so far. If it has competed at Top Gun and done well, that speaks well of it.

Thanks for your comments.

Davegee

Davegee,

Just a note about the CARF P47 doing well at Top Gun. The class this P47 was in this year is more of a pass/fail from a static score standpoint. You either get 25 points or zero. The Pro-Am/Pro-Am Pro classes are more about flying than the scale look and details.

If you are wanting to compete in scale events, I would get some more confirmation whether this model is really scale accurate. Don't get me wrong it is a very nice looking airplane and I am having one built right now, but my builder is going to have to do a lot of scale detail work.

Regards,
John

Old 08-18-2011, 05:25 AM
DaveGee

Thanks very much, John. That is excellent information. Is it possible for me to email your builder to talk with him directly on what scale things he is having to do/change? I have a pretty good working knowledge of the P-47 as I have done several of them for competitions over the years. If the CARF P-47 has some major scale issues that would make it unworthy as a scale entrant, it might be better for me to pass on it, rather than go through all the time and money and effort, only to be disappointed at the judges' stands.

Davegee
Old 08-18-2011, 10:45 AM
wxman2
My Feedback: (52)

ORIGINAL: DaveGee
Is it possible for me to email your builder to talk with him directly on what scale things he is having to do/change?

Davegee
Sending you a PM...

Old 08-18-2011, 11:12 AM
DaveGee

got it!
thanx
davegee
Old 08-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Jack Diaz

The tail gear doors of my kit came bent inwards. They had sort of a banana shape.
Doors could't be opened without forcing them up on the sides.
My guess is that they warp after curing.

This is what I did to fix them. I got a perfect fit now.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70317.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1652595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53403.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1652596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66064.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1652597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18105.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1652598  
Old 08-25-2011, 12:51 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, this plane is big. Im going over mine now ... The detail is just super on it .. I picked up a few blemishes and badly molded rivets, however nothing that's not to be expected on a molded composite plane ... Waiting on gear, engine , etc ... Im going with a turbulator for the 250 on mine , and am considering a fuel pump ... anyone else running this combo as well ??

Also, whats everyone doing for tip lights ? under wing light ? tail ?

[8D]

~V~
Old 08-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Jack Diaz

Hi Wojtek, haven't seen you in a while

I was just writing the question about the tip lights, when you posted yours !!!! Coincidence....

Jack
Old 08-25-2011, 01:09 PM
RichardGee

Everything you ever wanted to know about your Moki 250 -
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_89..._1/key_/tm.htm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.