Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM FW D-9

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:31 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Installing the DLE 55 R will be much easier and cheaper. If you were planning on doing that, I would go that way. The G62 is capable of getting a smaller footprint if needed though. I do not have pics of my install yet. Sorry.
The only thing you would see would be a small amount of the head sticking out of the bottom, along with the plug cap.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:48 AM
dgiatr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Installing the DLE 55 R will be much easier and cheaper. If you were planning on doing that, I would go that way. The G62 is capable of getting a smaller footprint if needed though. I do not have pics of my install yet. Sorry.
The only thing you would see would be a small amount of the head sticking out of the bottom, along with the plug cap.
should i put a canister to avoid cutting the cowl or the stock muffler will be ok;
thanks!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:55 AM
dgiatr

Originally Posted by Ramstein44
This guy placed a G62 in his SIST. You can skip the video and go right to the pictures at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGQFE...yer_detailpage
funny thing is that this guy is MY FRIEND!!!! and i have forgotten that he had a zenoah g62 inside that plane!!! thanks for the info!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:05 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A zenoah G-45 will fit inside. The spark plug boot will stick out. At least it fits inside a Sist Dora, which is scale 1/5.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

dgiatar, that works then. If You can get a G62 in there, do it! I needed a lot of extra nose weight. Having the G62 will add working weight instead of dead weight.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:56 AM
FSFLYER
My Feedback: (12)

Does anyone know if Glennis Wheels are still in business. Tried emailing and calling several times whith no response. Are there any other decent 5" wheels available for the DORA?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

Try www.Fliteskin.com They make a really nice set..
Old 02-07-2014, 01:03 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FSFLYER
Does anyone know if Glennis Wheels are still in business. Tried emailing and calling several times whith no response. Are there any other decent 5" wheels available for the DORA?

I would go with the Williams bros. for this plane.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:47 AM
dgiatr

fuselage.......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01902.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	1968367   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01903.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	1968368   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01904.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	1968369  
Old 02-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Dowmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dgiatr,
Put a instrument hood on that plane! It will change the look and make it even better. BTW, nice rivets and details. I have a set of the Williams brothers wheels on the way. Part number 14500. 5 1/4 inch.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:54 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guy's

The Dora got some more air time again this weekend. The weather was not the best with the winds up to 17kts crosswind. you can see that in the video as the dora never really shakes around too much, but with the turbulence off the trees she's moves around a little.. To put it another way, everyone else had stopped flying by this stage

Of course, I get my worst landing on film.. Gust just as I'm about to touch down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dICM...ature=youtu.be

Thanks

Dave

Last edited by ticketec; 02-16-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:08 PM
miketahin

Hey stick mode, I've private messages u. I'm interested in buying your sierra fw 190 tail wheel if you have still got it.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:20 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave, that was a great video!!!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Duplicator41

Well done!!!!

Cheers,
Old 02-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Dowmer

Dang ticketec, that pilot looking around is sick!....lol. Nice job with the vid. What do you mean bad landing?
Old 02-16-2014, 04:26 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Grate video Now tell us the "Rest of The Story" Just the facts man ....
all the particulars would be great.
The Devil is in the Details.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:20 PM
ticketec

Originally Posted by Dowmer
Dang ticketec, that pilot looking around is sick!....lol. Nice job with the vid. What do you mean bad landing?

Thanks guys!

you can see that the right hand gear hits first and rocks the plane onto the left hand gear. I tried to compenate for the gust but no cigar. that's a rough landing for me and the Dora ....
Old 02-16-2014, 10:21 PM
ticketec

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Grate video Now tell us the "Rest of The Story" Just the facts man ....
all the particulars would be great.
The Devil is in the Details.
Hey HoundDog, not sure what your asking me for or want to know... about the aircraft, or the flying location, or the camera?

thanks

dave
Old 02-17-2014, 07:45 AM
Joespeeder

Hey Ticketec,

Great fun to watch the video!! The moving pilot is both cool and a little creepy at the same time. I want one

It looks like you currently have him on a loop. Would it be possible to have different programs controlled by a switch? I would love to do one of these guys and was thinking of mixing him in with the flaps. Flaps down a loop like yours and flaps up might do a secondary "flying" loop?

Any details on his set up as you progress or work with him would be great. I keep thinking there must be a way to tie his movements into a gyro that is overridden by a loop or stick movements somehow giving the pilot some independent movements that looked natural, independent to a degree, and less "loop like".

You're lightyears ahead of me. But a D9 is in my plan for next winters build. I'm thinking a Holman D9 but the ESM is very tempting.

Are your on board cams keyfobs(#16's) or Mobious ? Could you show how you mounted them? You got some really really great shots free of vibration. That's great work on a gasser!!

Joe
Old 02-18-2014, 01:46 AM
ticketec

Originally Posted by Joespeeder
Hey Ticketec,

Great fun to watch the video!! The moving pilot is both cool and a little creepy at the same time. I want one

It looks like you currently have him on a loop. Would it be possible to have different programs controlled by a switch? I would love to do one of these guys and was thinking of mixing him in with the flaps. Flaps down a loop like yours and flaps up might do a secondary "flying" loop?

Any details on his set up as you progress or work with him would be great. I keep thinking there must be a way to tie his movements into a gyro that is overridden by a loop or stick movements somehow giving the pilot some independent movements that looked natural, independent to a degree, and less "loop like".

You're lightyears ahead of me. But a D9 is in my plan for next winters build. I'm thinking a Holman D9 but the ESM is very tempting.

Are your on board cams keyfobs(#16's) or Mobious ? Could you show how you mounted them? You got some really really great shots free of vibration. That's great work on a gasser!!

Joe

Hey Joe,

Long time since we last caught up, since the TF mustang build i think!!

Yeah he is currently on a loop. I find that when pilots are connected to flight controls it looks even more un-natural and you don't spend all flight stirring the sticks, but a pilot does keep looking around.

The loop is currently about 25-30sec long. With the camera on board you get to see that it's actually a pretty short loop, but that's because I never thought that we might see him moving during the flight really. The board I am using to make the movements is FAR more capable than what I have programmed it to do. I could program 10's of minutes of individual movements, but to be totally honest, the hardest part about the programming was trying to work out what are natural looking movements and speed of movements... I paid a lot of attention to videos of pilots in real aircraft in flight in a show circuit and also the speed and which they move. Hans (that's what I call the pilot) is capable to moving far quicker than what he currently does. but finding that balance is the complicated trick. it also become hard to "find" new movements for him to make... it's prob time I re-looked into his programming

The board can most definitely be programmed to work in different loops via a T/X switch position,but I guess hat if you made a loop that was in the 1 minute mark then it would be far less obvious. It can also control up to another 2 more channels so you could make his arm wave etc. but I thought that was unnecessary weight and complexity for Hans...

I have a thread I started on Hans and go through exactly where I bought everything from, and what i used to make him work here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...ics-pilot.html

I had a Holman D9 at home when my ESM one arrived. I sold the holman

As for camera, it's most certainly the Mobius! it's an awesome camera. I have a GoPro, but this little camera I think is in a league of it's own. I have been trying it out on everything. I've flown it attached to some different models, I have attached it to my helmet when riding my motorbike to work, attached it to the motor bike itself, and it's just great. Now I'm not saying it's as good as a Gopro, but it's pretty close, and for $70 as opposed to the $450+ for a GoPro, I'm far more prepared to risk it for a cool shot! it's also a fair bit smaller and a lot lighter. The dora didn't even notice it's 39g of weight place directly onto the hori stab. what the video in full HD and full screen and you'll see just how good the picture is! you can see at the start nd end of the video the pictures of the dora, you can pic out the black and silver little box on the L/h wingtip and on the l/h side of the hori stab.

To mount it: I use some 3M VHB double sided foam take. it's what GoPro use for their camera mounts. The stuff is literally just amazing!! It's held on at +200 km/h not always with 100% of the surface touching, and with a twist, the camera come right off the tape. then just a few pulls of the take an it has come away from a painted surface without the slightest of marks. The foam provides a small amount of vibration dampening, but you also have to remember that I am running the XYZ twin in my dora. It has HEAPS less vibrations than any other single 50cc motor out there...

Here are some of my other Mobius model related videos.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BTY-QU6VYLo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z8s7Qi81x_k?list=UUe_hekdOK1BJZcl-jAwIEDw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Thanks

dave

Last edited by ticketec; 02-18-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:42 AM
Joespeeder

Thanks Dave !!

Great info..... I was watching that thread but missed if you've updated it lately. I've had my head down in various builds as it's a harsh winter here and no fun flying in weather that's around 0°F and windy....

I keep thinking a gyro hooked into the pilot... Something like your loop for all flap down operations (taxiing, landing, etc..) and then when you go flaps up the gyro would take over making his head and body "float" naturally as the plan moved.... If that makes sense. Since I've never worked with the programing I have no idea of how the gyro would interact with control or loop inputs or if you could combine them.... Reversing channels of the gyro as needed to get the pilot to look in the direction wanted on his own as you flew would give it another level of realism. I know YTInternational was going to market Churchill pilots but have checked to see if they made it into YT's stuff yet. There were noises of updates to the line up. Not sure what they were planning but I'll go poke around when I get a chance. Great work with Hans !!! Glad to see him back in the D9 and not out on R&R on the self !!!!!

I have flown the Keyfob cams for a long time and am about to order a couple new #16's but that Mobius has been calling out to me. I use Industrial Velcro as Velcro calls it. It's so grippy that the sticky rips things off instead of the Velcro releasing. I have to use a piece of card stock or credit card to wedge in between the sides to "slice" it apart.... I will give the 3M VHB double sided foam tape a try. Your results are very impressive. The twin + the foam tape seems to be a great combo. I'm currently finishing up my captured LA-5 (ESM LA-7). I mounted the cowl this morning and I'm in the fitting and final odds and ends like fuel filler placements, tidying up wires and routing fuel lines.... It's getting close. I gave myself till the end of this month to finish it. As next month I will tune 5 planes for the season.... Maintenance stuff and final set ups.... But the LA-5(XYZ 53cc) will fly this year.

This fall I will start 2 projects for the winter..... A D9 and a 60 sized Fiat G-55. Both of them will be glow and multi cylinder. The Fiat is getting a Saito 100 inline twin(cool) and the D9 I am planing on the OS 320FF (waaaayyyyy coool !!)

Since you've had both the Holman and the ESM can you give your impressions of both? The D9 will be a higher end project for me. I've read so much on all the kits my brain hurt.... But that doesn't take too much.

A quick version of my hunt went something like this..... Want the SiSt D9.... Research, 27lb's +, best multi cylinder that would fit = Laser 300v(I have one), ok power but not great for a 27lb bird, 3 blade hard.... IMPScale D9.... Largest of the 1/5ish scale, honest reviews = 27lbs, still can't fit the 360v in there...
Holman D9 smallest of the D9's and 24lbs average build weight, Great platform for scale stuff, Bob's a very nice guy to work with, Fiberglas fuse and built up wings, gets me into a scale ship with a weight I can use the OS 320 FF, SOUNDS COOL !!!, Good power for a 24lb plane...

ESM D9.... Tempting..... It would be in the correct weight range and even the guys doing SiSt build have commented on how the basic shape of the ESM fuse is really close.
dgiatr's build has tempted me to revisit the ESM.... He is showing what can be done with the ESM and making me think it really is a good platform for a higher end project.

Can you compare the Holman and the ESM? I'm guessing the ESM is lighter and reflected it in it's handling??? Anything beyond the lighter wing loading that would be good for me to consider?

My D9 will be about having a cool multi cylinder making cool noises and no have the plane be underpowered..... If I have run glow to do that then so be it.... I was going to do a Kolm Spitfire but transporting it became a road block. So I went looking for cool engines that I could stuff in an 80ish inch D9.

Just for kicks here is the OS 320 Flat Four 53cc on an ESM LA-7..... Great sound and will match the inline sound needed for a D9 !!

The 320FF is 196mm or 7.75 inches wide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yI78YJrCcI
Joe

Edit: I just watched your videos full screen at 1080..... .... I thought my #16's were good.... I got some great shots on those when we went slope soaring. Both video and the 5 second timelapse. At the slope we fly for an hour at at time and the time lapse gave me well over 1,000 pics as I flew one keyfob flight for an hour and twenty minutes !! I just got tired and had to land. No real need to come down !!

You can see the fun here. http://youtu.be/Mn2gKvKwKuA or the short 15 minute version here http://youtu.be/xt2Urt7EwGg

Last edited by Joespeeder; 02-18-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:18 PM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by Dowmer
Dang ticketec, that pilot looking around is sick!
Now there's a novel idea.....get the pilot to throw up into a barf bag!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:18 PM
snickarn

Originally Posted by Joespeeder
Thanks Dave !!

Great info..... I was watching that thread but missed if you've updated it lately. I've had my head down in various builds as it's a harsh winter here and no fun flying in weather that's around 0°F and windy....

I keep thinking a gyro hooked into the pilot... Something like your loop for all flap down operations (taxiing, landing, etc..) and then when you go flaps up the gyro would take over making his head and body "float" naturally as the plan moved.... If that makes sense. Since I've never worked with the programing I have no idea of how the gyro would interact with control or loop inputs or if you could combine them.... Reversing channels of the gyro as needed to get the pilot to look in the direction wanted on his own as you flew would give it another level of realism. I know YTInternational was going to market Churchill pilots but have checked to see if they made it into YT's stuff yet. There were noises of updates to the line up. Not sure what they were planning but I'll go poke around when I get a chance. Great work with Hans !!! Glad to see him back in the D9 and not out on R&R on the self !!!!!

I have flown the Keyfob cams for a long time and am about to order a couple new #16's but that Mobius has been calling out to me. I use Industrial Velcro as Velcro calls it. It's so grippy that the sticky rips things off instead of the Velcro releasing. I have to use a piece of card stock or credit card to wedge in between the sides to "slice" it apart.... I will give the 3M VHB double sided foam tape a try. Your results are very impressive. The twin + the foam tape seems to be a great combo. I'm currently finishing up my captured LA-5 (ESM LA-7). I mounted the cowl this morning and I'm in the fitting and final odds and ends like fuel filler placements, tidying up wires and routing fuel lines.... It's getting close. I gave myself till the end of this month to finish it. As next month I will tune 5 planes for the season.... Maintenance stuff and final set ups.... But the LA-5(XYZ 53cc) will fly this year.

This fall I will start 2 projects for the winter..... A D9 and a 60 sized Fiat G-55. Both of them will be glow and multi cylinder. The Fiat is getting a Saito 100 inline twin(cool) and the D9 I am planing on the OS 320FF (waaaayyyyy coool !!)

Since you've had both the Holman and the ESM can you give your impressions of both? The D9 will be a higher end project for me. I've read so much on all the kits my brain hurt.... But that doesn't take too much.

A quick version of my hunt went something like this..... Want the SiSt D9.... Research, 27lb's +, best multi cylinder that would fit = Laser 300v(I have one), ok power but not great for a 27lb bird, 3 blade hard.... IMPScale D9.... Largest of the 1/5ish scale, honest reviews = 27lbs, still can't fit the 360v in there...
Holman D9 smallest of the D9's and 24lbs average build weight, Great platform for scale stuff, Bob's a very nice guy to work with, Fiberglas fuse and built up wings, gets me into a scale ship with a weight I can use the OS 320 FF, SOUNDS COOL !!!, Good power for a 24lb plane...

ESM D9.... Tempting..... It would be in the correct weight range and even the guys doing SiSt build have commented on how the basic shape of the ESM fuse is really close.
dgiatr's build has tempted me to revisit the ESM.... He is showing what can be done with the ESM and making me think it really is a good platform for a higher end project.

Can you compare the Holman and the ESM? I'm guessing the ESM is lighter and reflected it in it's handling??? Anything beyond the lighter wing loading that would be good for me to consider?

My D9 will be about having a cool multi cylinder making cool noises and no have the plane be underpowered..... If I have run glow to do that then so be it.... I was going to do a Kolm Spitfire but transporting it became a road block. So I went looking for cool engines that I could stuff in an 80ish inch D9.

Just for kicks here is the OS 320 Flat Four 53cc on an ESM LA-7..... Great sound and will match the inline sound needed for a D9 !!

The 320FF is 196mm or 7.75 inches wide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yI78YJrCcI
Joe

Edit: I just watched your videos full screen at 1080..... .... I thought my #16's were good.... I got some great shots on those when we went slope soaring. Both video and the 5 second timelapse. At the slope we fly for an hour at at time and the time lapse gave me well over 1,000 pics as I flew one keyfob flight for an hour and twenty minutes !! I just got tired and had to land. No real need to come down !!

You can see the fun here. http://youtu.be/Mn2gKvKwKuA or the short 15 minute version here http://youtu.be/xt2Urt7EwGg
Joe, that is mine LA-7 with the OS FF320. Ive also build an ESM D9 in this winter with Laser 300V
Old 02-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Joespeeder

Hi snickarn,

Cool !! I have seen your D9 in the videos !! How hard would it be to fit the OS320 in the D9 ? I would have to move the fire wall in any project so that's not a big deal. But I really don't want to cut the cowl to make the heads fit.

Everything I've read / seen says it would fit pretty easily???

Joe
Old 02-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Joespeeder

Hi snickarn,

I found this Corsair flying the OS 320FF on a 20x10x3 at 6,700rpm. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wG57C0grE0

That looks to be about 28lbs of thrust at a 63mph pitch speed. Where as a 19x10x3 would turn 7,200rpm pulling 27lbs at a 68mph ps.

Both of those set ups are flying on videos on the YouTubes.... So I know the rpms and props are correct. I ran the numbers to get an idea of what they were producing.

Have you tried a 3 blade?

Joe

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.