Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM FW D-9

Old 08-23-2011, 05:27 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM FW D-9

ORIGINAL: Reverend

Hi guys,

spp-modellbau.de has a 1:5 Dora Spinner. You will have to make your own backplate though.

I also sorted out cooling. All I am missing is the cooling canal directly to the cylinders. The small triangle in the middle will be closed for flight.

Rev

Thanks for the link. That spinner does look good, is this the same one but with a backplate?

http://www.spp-modellbau.de/shop/pro...info=p21_.html

And for those looking at the 53cc twin's, they are back in stock at hobby king....

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_Engine_.html

Thanks

dave
Old 08-23-2011, 07:30 AM
Reverend
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ticketec

Hi guys,

spp-modellbau.de has a 1:5 Dora Spinner. You will have to make your own backplate though.

I also sorted out cooling. All I am missing is the cooling canal directly to the cylinders. The small triangle in the middle will be closed for flight.

Rev

Thanks for the link. That spinner does look good, is this the same one but with a backplate?

And for those looking at the 53cc twin's, they are back in stock at hobby king....

Thanks

dave
yep, thats the one. Just email him and ask for the 1:5 Dora Spinner. I think its the same one.

Rev
Old 08-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

Man, that engine looks really good. Something I would've considered but the dle is proven at my altitude for this plane as I had a IMP Dora which was a little heavier at the same size.

I'm doing taxi test and checking the small things on the Dora. The carbonite servos seem to be holding up just fine with the vibration. She'll maiden here soon, not going to say when as she developed a fan club at the field and everyone is wanting to see her fly.

Really cool seeing it taxi with that canopy opening and closing. Kinda wish I mad the pilot more interactive. I have to many other projects which have taking away from this one.

I'll post the videos.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:03 PM
corsair183
My Feedback: (6)

Reverend's spinner looks perfect.

Hate to be a doubting Thomas Ticketec, but until I see the plugs installed with wires on them I will not believe. Yeah, it looks close, but that's government work and hand grenades. I want to see, and then believe.
JLZ

P.S. Might do a maiden on a CMP 109 this weekend.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:24 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CMP 109's fly really well. I like how mine looks in the air. Mine is heavy at 16 pounds, but flies very nice and lands well.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:53 PM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: corsair183

Reverend's spinner looks perfect.

Hate to be a doubting Thomas Ticketec, but until I see the plugs installed with wires on them I will not believe. Yeah, it looks close, but that's government work and hand grenades. I want to see, and then believe.
JLZ

P.S. Might do a maiden on a CMP 109 this weekend.

I hearing ya!

Well, Here are some pic's with the engine with the carb on and leaning on the firewall. And then the following pic's are with the plug in place. The plug does come mighty close to the cowl. with the boot on it's a little past the cowl. I've currently researching some alternate options for the boot, I.e. a smaller version, but the plug on the right can be hidden behind the cowl flap, and the one on the left will show on the side there, just behind the cowl flap, but if it comes out then I might just make a small blister that covers it up. This is only minro compared to the whole head sticking out.

Thanks

dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88331.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1652884   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43146.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1652885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70224.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1652886  
Old 08-24-2011, 01:19 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Perfect!!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:36 AM
corsair183
My Feedback: (6)

Ticketec,

Something you may have already thought about...Shorter plugs (maybe not available), different boot or grinding off some of the insulation, recessing the engine, heating the cowl and bending all the flaps outward somewhat.

You are correct. A small blister is better than having the whole cylinder sticking out...and you have the smoother operation of a twin along with a little extra weight. Das ist ja fantastisch...

I had some paint made up by Sherwin Williams, latex ex. to match the colors on my CMP 109. They're everything except perfect, i.e. others couldn't tell the original from my touch up. I've sprayed the touch up with TF fuel proof coating and expect the best.

I'm trying to get a price on a scale 1/5 Fw 190 D9 spinner with backplate and will update as info becomes available.

We who have the ARF really appreciate the work you and Ram are doing.
JLZ
Old 08-25-2011, 01:20 AM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: ticketec

Hi guys,

Rev

Thanks

dave
yep, thats the one. Just email him and ask for the 1:5 Dora Spinner. I think its the same one.

Rev

Just went to order the spinner, and had to stop when the cheapest shipping option to Australia was 65 Euros![X(][X(][X(] well more than the cost of the spinner itself!

Fighteraces have a spinner for the Dora at 65 euros and I'm sure the shipping wouldn't be anywhere near as much.

Thanks

dave

Old 08-25-2011, 01:41 AM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: corsair183

Ticketec,

Something you may have already thought about...Shorter plugs (maybe not available), different boot or grinding off some of the insulation, recessing the engine, heating the cowl and bending all the flaps outward somewhat.

You are correct. A small blister is better than having the whole cylinder sticking out...and you have the smoother operation of a twin along with a little extra weight. Das ist ja fantastisch...

I had some paint made up by Sherwin Williams, latex ex. to match the colors on my CMP 109. They're everything except perfect, i.e. others couldn't tell the original from my touch up. I've sprayed the touch up with TF fuel proof coating and expect the best.

I'm trying to get a price on a scale 1/5 Fw 190 D9 spinner with backplate and will update as info becomes available.

We who have the ARF really appreciate the work you and Ram are doing.
JLZ
Hey Corsair,

Shorter plugs might not be an option.They do exsist, but the boots for them don't. The cowl flaps have already been cut and repositioned here on this thread somewhere and that is a pretty easy proposition. What I am chasing up on the gas engine forum and other avenues is a "slimline" version of the spark plug boot. There may be a company out there that makes a billet machines unit that may be not as tall as the original boots, but no replys as yet.

I'll be spraying the gun hood regardless, But I can colour match and paint a blister at the same time so I'm not to worried about that, I do the colour matching myself in the airbush. I just sold my brand new unstarted CMpro 109[&o] One of the nicest ARF warbirds I have ever seen out of the box(This dora included!)

Thanks, but it's Ram that's been doing all the trailblazing! Now we just need a flying report from him

Thanks

dave

Old 08-25-2011, 02:40 AM
STICK MODE

Blister is the way to go hiding the plugs I did a esm pc 21 which has a very narrow cowl I fitted a Turnigy 26 cc gas in to her then hid the plug using a blister then touched up with the air brush end result looked better than the original judging by what’s going to protrude in the 50 twin (pretty much zip) ill go with the blister just ordered the twin plus sierra retracts and 2 cans of beans today worked it out 3 beans a day that should give my visa card time to recover
Old 08-25-2011, 06:51 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

I wonder if that little jewel twin will have enough power for the D-9. It is a large ship. Anyone see the Saito 57 twin gasser? Expensive though.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:59 PM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: MANFRED

I wonder if that little jewel twin will have enough power for the D-9. It is a large ship. Anyone see the Saito 57 twin gasser? Expensive though.
Y
Wow, I would love to hear it running in person, but you could buy 3 nearly 4 of the XYZ 53cc for the same price!

On paper, and by most reports, the XYZ it's a strong performer. only a few hundred rpm less than the DLE55, so unless I got a lemon, I have all the confidence that It will make her move nicely!

Thanks

dave
Old 08-26-2011, 03:25 AM
hunterprey

Dave, I have just got my spinner from Fliteskin Productsin the USA. Talk to Jose, service was great. Will put picture of spinner on site tomorrow.

Chris.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:11 AM
ticketec

looking forward to seeing it.

I have just gone with the fighteraces spinner which is composite and has all the detail molded into it, because they hadn't yet sent out my exhausts. About $15 cheaper that the fliteskin offering.

Well I have been working a little bit on the model but mostly on mundane items like the hori stab and the elevators. I also have layed up the first gun hood. It came out a little too flimsy and a few airpockets, so I'm going to make up another. I'll take some pic's and post them soon.

Also ordered my gear door collars from Sierra. The cost to complete this model is slowly but surely creeping up!

Thanks

dave
Old 08-26-2011, 05:44 PM
hunterprey

Here are some photos of the spinner.

Name:	Lj23200.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1653824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21253.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1653825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44198.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1653826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79756.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1653827  
Old 08-27-2011, 03:46 AM
ticketec

Hunterprey,

That does look good!

Here are the pic's of the replacement gun hood. The first pic is the picture of the first attempt. Too many airpockets and a little too flimsy for my taste.

The second and third pic's are the gun hood #2. I used x2 layers of 6oz glass cloth to sandwitch 2 layers of carbon cloth layed at 45 degrees to one another. It came out heaps better! and a good stiffness too. I'll trim it down ove the next few days or I might even take it to work and do it correctly in the sanding booth.

Thanks

dave

Name:	Vt56626.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1653913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58456.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1653914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17667.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1653915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68937.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1653916  
Old 08-27-2011, 05:54 AM
Ramstein44

You think the first gun hood would be useable with a little epoxylite or auto body filler to fill those air pockets. I'm sure some one would be interested in doing the work on it?
Old 08-27-2011, 10:17 AM
n8622t

ORIGINAL: MANFRED

Hey Manfred, go back a page or two and look at the video I posted from another thread featuring this the 53cc twin on the ESM LA7...the plane flys with some serious authority!

Jimmy
Old 08-27-2011, 10:19 AM
n8622t

Here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1anKm...layer_embedded
Old 08-28-2011, 05:12 AM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

You think the first gun hood would be useable with a little epoxylite or auto body filler to fill those air pockets. I'm sure some one would be interested in doing the work on it?

Hey Ram,

I think so. A bit of work to get it sorted, but heaps less work and a whole heap less materials wise, than if you were having to make the mold!

I have got all the tail feathers attached. Elevators went on fine, but the rudder.... It only come drilled out for 3 horns and my top hinge point was drilled off center[] So I replaced them all with robart hinge points and installed 4 hignes., but as you can see in the photo, the lower 2 hignes didn't have much material to glue into! This would also be true of the standard 3 hinge setup as well. This was simply rectified by cutting some blocks of hard balsa and epoxying them in place.

The other drama I had was that my "rudder" tubes installed in the fuse didn't go out to the fuse sides!!![:@][:'(] I also had no location information as to were the holes should be located. I did some guestimations and drilled the holes, but it was a right old pain in the [sm=angry.gif] to get the wire through to the outside of the fuse. It all seem to work out OK, but I have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't cut throught the fuse or wear either, If I have any concerns then I'll glue a bit tube to the fuse.

As you guys will also notice, I have gone with the fixed tail wheel. This is only becuase I'm aiming to have this flying for my clubs charity airshow this weekend[X(] but I think the engine is going to hold up the proceedings in the end. I still don't have my prop, and I haven't started it yet. If nothing else, she can head out to the field and get some sun.

The things that will be added post test flights will be the retractable tail wheel, cockpit kit, wing guns, and a 3 bladed prop/spinner.

Thanks

dave

Name:	Sq46800.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1654342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38101.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1654343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94390.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1654344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46958.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1654345  
Old 08-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Ramstein44

Hmmm. My rudder had only three also..
Old 08-30-2011, 03:26 AM
ticketec

Ok, moving along, The elevator servo and the rudder servo have been installed and the push-pull cables rigged. My kit was missing some of the brass threaded couplers, so I replace them with 4-40 threaded couplers and dubro 4-40 ball links.

So now that I've pretty much completed the back end of the fuse it's onto the engine installation. As you can see I've had to pack out the firewall because the XYZ was some 18mm to short to be mounted directly to the firewall. On the subject of that, I can't say I'm impressed with the firewall. It's about 6-7mm ply and that's it. I'm intending to fibreglass the rear side of it to give it a little more strength. I would have machined up some standoffs to suit but I wasn't sold on the strength of the firewall to accept them so I cut up some plywood to suit. I've also installed the plywwod cowl mounting ring and used the dremel to clear away where the engine would come in contact with it.

Name:	Ki18525.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1655101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96645.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1655102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41853.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1655103  
Old 08-30-2011, 03:36 AM
ticketec

Ok, Here are the pic's I wanted to see and I'm sure a few others are interested in them as well.

This is the of pic's with the plugs, spark plug boots and cowl installed! With just the plugs, there is nothing touching the cowl. with the boots on, it touches, but the options are, install the cowl and let it flex a little out of shape to allow for the boots, or cut blisters to clear them. To be honest, I can tell the cowl is flexed but only when you pass your hand over the cowl, it's not that obvious if you are just looking at the model. I think that I can get away with it, it's only flexed out 8-10mm or so in total. I will grind the little flange on the top of the spark plug boot were the two halfs meet, and with will free up a few mm's but other than that, all said and done I don't think it's too bad. If I went with the open cowl flaps one of the boots would clear entirely, the other would be touching just a little.

So I think I'm going to go with it as it currently sits with the cowl flaps closed. After engine runs and the first few flights if the vibrations are looking to wear a hole in the cowl, then I'll make blisters, open cowl flaps etc!

Thanks

Dave

Name:	Fd90789.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1655111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92618.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1655112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62783.jpg
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1655113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70233.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1655114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju13618.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1655115  
Old 08-30-2011, 06:45 AM
IL2windhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So darn close to a perfect fit! LOL - why does it always work out that way.

I think vibrations are going to cause cracks in your cowl, and not necessarily where the boots are touching. Maybe you could make a former that would stretch your cowl ever so slightly, just to get the boots a few mm off the fiberglass?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.