Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM FW D-9

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:59 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: ESM FW D-9

Cool, thanks for the tips.

Hey Ram, I ordered some on Monday. I got the dummy static prop as well. Damn exchange rate is a killer. I am also talking with Phil about his muffler for the G-62. This is the engine going in the TA 152. It can be completely concealed and add a bunch of power as it is a can. More power is always better!

Those Sierra gear are so awesome. I was wrong about the angles though. They do retract to like 85 or so. It just did not look like it until I could cycle them. Man, they work really smooth.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I'd added the spinner to my order. I'm in no rush for it but will possibly order it with my stencils. I initially planned on getting the Anderson TA again but I have too many other FW projects putting that one off indefinitely. Good luck on yours.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:54 AM
vik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

Hey Vertical,

Just letting you know that I recieved the exaust stacks yesterday. They shipped out from Fighteraces last monday.
Such coincidence
I got them as well for my Ta152 build (on RCSB).
They are really nice and worth the money
Old 11-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Oger Lionel

Hi guys,

Just a quick question to Kel and the others;

What did you guys set as downward and right thrust any specific values or you pretty mutch leave it in the axis?

Cheers,

Lio
Old 11-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Ramstein44

I built it per the manual.

Attempted to get a few more flights in at Chattfield early this morning, got it ready to go and stopped to work on my friends Bird dog so he could maiden his. Winds were aporx 9mph.. Just as I started to taxi out, the winds started to gust up to 37mph.[X(] and were continous! Oh well... another day.[&o]

Sad thing about the whole event is that my friend stepped on his horizontal stab taking the wing apart[:@]...Guess he'll have something to entertain him tonight
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64224.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1685583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53848.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1685584  
Old 11-12-2011, 12:54 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Folks, maybe you can help me.

I have problems starting the XYZ.

What have I done;

-I have replaced the original ignition with RcExcl
-I have replaced the carburator with one from a G-38 that runs fine.

But still, the same happens;

-I inject fuel directly into the carb first, just to be sure
(The fuel line is a bit long to the tank.....)
-I have nice sparks from both plugs.
-I can see explosions in the cylinders (exhausts are off)
-It fires 2-3 revolutions, then stops.
-I can see the fule line is filled with fuel after these 2-3 rev ignitions.

I am sure the hole for the pump is aligned even through the gasket, so the pump should be okay.

But it does not want to run......

Compression should be ok, because my electric starter, which turns my Saito G-57,
isnt strong enough to turn this one.

Does any of yours have gaskets between the cylinders and the crankcase? Mine does not.
(So I had this crazy idea; Maybe it is missing the gasket between cylinder and crankcase....
the compression would then be higher than others.....)

I found a gasket for XYZ 26cc here...I wonder...could it be that the XYZ 53cc has two of these cylinders...
http://store.octopusrc.com/XYZ-26A-Gaskets

It is a cute little engine, shame I cant get it to run.
[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]
Old 11-12-2011, 09:57 PM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Attempted to get a few more flights in at Chattfield early this morning, got it ready to go and stopped to work on my friends Bird dog so he could maiden his. Winds were aporx 9mph.. Just as I started to taxi out, the winds started to gust up to 37mph.[X(] and were continous! Oh well... another day.[&o]

Sad thing about the whole event is that my friend stepped on his horizontal stab taking the wing apart[:@]...Guess he'll have something to entertain him tonight
sorry Ram, I have been grounded for the entire week with high winds or rain[&o] Good excuse for staying inside and finishing a build
Old 11-13-2011, 01:56 AM
P47Pilot

ORIGINAL: kwik

Folks, maybe you can help me.

I have problems starting the XYZ.

-I can see explosions in the cylinders (exhausts are off)

Just to cover all bases: I guess you have you tried starting it with mufflers/canisters mounted? Does the same thing happen then?
Old 11-13-2011, 02:59 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: n8622t

sorry Ram, I have been grounded for the entire week with high winds or rain[&o] Good excuse for staying inside and finishing a build

Same here on the other side of the world! Was due to go out today with my flying buddy,but was away for the weekend and only flew back in this afternoon. By the time I got home, the winds were up to 20kts.[:@] I might pop out mid week if the weather is fine butwere away next weekend again

Kwik,

If you have replaced the ignition and the carb and it still doing the same thing then it would be fair to rule them out as the problem items. I would install the originals again. Have you checked the timing?

Try richen in up the needles as well, if you have to run the needles more than say 3 turns out then I would start looking at the fact that you may be sucking in air somewhere and look at the gaskets. If the gasket that goes inbetween the two crankcase halves is leaking then the pump side of the carb will not get pulses strong enough to draw the fuel through which may be your issue, but I would try and start with the easy/non-invasive options first.

Keep us posted on how you get on with the engine.

Thanks

dave
Old 11-13-2011, 05:09 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

p47pilot;
On this engine it isnt even a muffler; It is a flame-damper. hehe.
(But I might try to put the two units on, just in case...but it shouldnt have anything to say, logically...)

Dave, thank you for your advice;

-I set timing to 30 deg. It was 40 deg. Maybe I should go back to 40....
-I will follow up on gaskets and air-leaks on fuel lines. So, could you please have a look;

Is it a gasket between cylinders and crank-case on yours?
It isnt on mine. Here is the XYZ 26cc gasket;

Name:	Wu61808.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1685983  
Old 11-13-2011, 10:22 AM
P47Pilot

I test-fitted the cockpit, still haven't painted anything or added any ofthe scale details, but already at this stage this kit brings the model to life. As far as the Sierras are concerned, they areworks of art. (Still waiting for the Sierra airkit).

Name:	Rp42241.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1686145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50206.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1686146  
Old 11-13-2011, 12:20 PM
mudflap31

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

p47pilot;
(But I might try to put the two units on, just in case...but it shouldnt have anything to say, logically...)

-I will follow up on gaskets and air-leaks on fuel lines. So, could you please have a look;

Kwik,

I have a gasket in beetween each cylinder, they look like the ones you posted.

I have spent 3 frustrating days at Stow Maries WW1 field trying to get the 190 reaqdy for flight. Everything checks out fine but glitches are soooo bad it won't even run on it's own. I need to trace the problem and go try it again.

On the plus side I did get a go on the ESM/YT Raiden, with a Z62 crammed in the nose - ACE!!

Muds
Old 11-13-2011, 12:25 PM
STICK MODE

What are you running it on muds 2.4 or other ?
Old 11-13-2011, 12:44 PM
mudflap31

ORIGINAL: STICK MODE

Spectrum 9 channel RX (one of the new DSMX things) and a JR DSX9 tx.

Further investigation needs to be done, but we ran it without the wings on and it easily made the 30m range test, but when the wings were fitted not even a metre away and it glitched itself silly.

Muds
Old 11-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Whistling Death

p47pilot;

28° TDC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBXFpxWg7vY
Old 11-13-2011, 04:17 PM
ticketec

p47pilot;

Hey Kwik,

Yes My engine also has the gasket inbetween the cylinder and the crackcase. on both of them!

I would leave the timing at 28-30 if you are confident that you have set it correctly. I would recommmend that you put the original carb back on though.

Thanks

dave
Old 11-15-2011, 11:03 PM
P47Pilot

ticketec (or anyone else with useful insight): Where doesone get hold of the scale wheels that you used for the Sierras?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:22 PM
ticketec

Hey P47 Pilot,

Here are some links to places that sell the Fw190 wheels. Mine are the sierra/fliteskin/fighteraces ones. They are all the same and to be honest, I think they are made by Glennis anyway!

http://www.sierragiant.com/products.html
http://www.fliteskin.com/FwAcces.htm
http://www.glennis.com/germanwarbirdgallery.htm
http://www.fighteraces.co.uk/

The wind's have been at a constant 15-20kts all week so far[:'(] I might wake up real early tomorrow to beat the wind and have a fly before work.

Thanks

dave
Old 11-15-2011, 11:36 PM
Ramstein44

Mine are glennis and are completely different from the others! Glennis wheels are above them all but you'll pay for them! Glennis wheels also have the best details!

For the money, I'd go with SIST if you want nice details, but truth be told... With a little hard work[:'(] Williams brothers wheels can be truly scaled out. I've seen some really nice detail done to them! And their a lot cheaper then the ones we mention!
Old 11-16-2011, 12:17 AM
P47Pilot

Hi Ram and ticketec: Thanks for the pointers, most helpful!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:10 PM
mudflap31

ORIGINAL: mudflap31

ORIGINAL: STICK MODE

Spectrum 9 channel RX (one of the new DSMX things) and a JR DSX9 tx.

Further investigation needs to be done, but we ran it without the wings on and it easily made the 30m range test, but when the wings were fitted not even a metre away and it glitched itself silly.

Muds
I forgot to say, even though I didn't get the D9 up, I did get a free go on the ESM Raiden with a Z62 shoe horned in the snout, beauty!!

Muds
Old 11-16-2011, 01:19 PM
Ramstein44

Removed.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:55 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I do not see wheels listed on the Sierra website. Anyone have a direct link to them? I am not sure the Glennis wheels are in my budget. To me, they are really expensive.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:59 PM
ticketec

Hey Mud, ddi you end up sorting out your glitching issues?

I have just come back form the field after another 3 flights on the Dora. The wind was starting to pick up towards the end, but I at least got a chance to fly with the 22x8 prop on it. I wasn't really all that impressed by it. the engine was burbuling as carrying on a little so that wasn't helping. I need to re-tune it for the smaller pitched prop. I stuck the 22x10 back on it because it was quicker that pulling the cowl off to adjust the carb and had two flights with that on and she went very nicely.

I also have come to the conclusion that the throw rates in the manual are too sensitive for the elevator. even the ailerons can use some dulling down. Also am starting to gather some data around mah useage with all the digital servos, and I have to say is that I am mightily impressed with it so far. I had 2 flights previously about 6-7mins long each, including range testing etc and it only used 170mah per pack. I've had 3 flights today and will check to see the mah used but 80-90mah per flight per pack means that I could get about 26 flights in before they are flat!! and that's the draw taking into accound that she has 8 digital servos installed. I could fly all weekend without having to worry about charging the packs. The ignition pulled about 300mah for the 2 flights.

I was going to get some more shots of her flying but I left the camera at home Next week should be the appointment with the HD video camera One thing that I have to address is the lack of a pilot in the cockpit! it's really starting to bug me now Ty's cockpit kit was shipped out about a week ago so it should be turning up next week some time.

Thanks

dave

P.s. In regards to the wheels, I will defer all comments in favour of Ram's extensive experience for an accurate reply, other than to say, try giving Darrly a call at sierra. I believe he has them, just not listed on the website.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 PM
mudflap31

ORIGINAL: ticketec

Hey Mud, ddi you end up sorting out your glitching issues?

I have just come back form the field after another 3 flights on the Dora. The wind was starting to pick up towards the end, but I at least got a chance to fly with the 22x8 prop on it. I wasn't really all that impressed by it. the engine was burbuling as carrying on a little so that wasn't helping. I need to re-tune it for the smaller pitched prop. I stuck the 22x10 back on it because it was quicker that pulling the cowl off to adjust the carb and had two flights with that on and she went very nicely.

I also have come to the conclusion that the throw rates in the manual are too sensitive for the elevator. even the ailerons can use some dulling down. Also am starting to gather some data around mah useage with all the digital servos, and I have to say is that I am mightily impressed with it so far. I had 2 flights previously about 6-7mins long each, including range testing etc and it only used 170mah per pack. I've had 3 flights today and will check to see the mah used but 80-90mah per flight per pack means that I could get about 26 flights in before they are flat!! and that's the draw taking into accound that she has 8 digital servos installed. I could fly all weekend without having to worry about charging the packs. The ignition pulled about 300mah for the 2 flights.

I was going to get some more shots of her flying but I left the camera at home Next week should be the appointment with the HD video camera One thing that I have to address is the lack of a pilot in the cockpit! it's really starting to bug me now Ty's cockpit kit was shipped out about a week ago so it should be turning up next week some time.

Thanks

dave

P.s. In regards to the wheels, I will defer all comments in favour of Ram's extensive experience for an accurate reply, other than to say, try giving Darrly a call at sierra. I believe he has them, just not listed on the website.

Hi Dave,

I have managed to remove 1 12" extension lead from each aileron, but cannot run the engine untill the weekend, it's dark when I get home from work [:'(] On Saturday I intend to range check it while running the engine in the fuz, then, if all is ok put the wing on and unplug one item at a time to try and find the culprit (this is assuming there is a bad connection somewhere). If this does not work I will try another new RX. This is the first model I have used a DSMX rx with, I can't seem to get a DSM2 these days. I#m wondering if my DXS9 doesn't like them [&:]

I'd be interested to know your throws and amounts of expo if any??

Cheers
Muds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.