Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM FW D-9

Old 11-20-2011, 04:11 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM FW D-9

I'm waiting for inzpan to get back to me on the cost of a 1/5 instrument panel kit because they are only listing the 1/4 on their website. The kit itself is about $50, but if I was ordering from them, then i would also get the gunsight at $20 plus shipping because, wel... althought I was impressed with most of the items you include in the kit the like the stick, the gunsight included was not really to my liking from the videos.[]sorry Ty.

I would never buy one of the inzpan Fw-190 prebuilt cockpits for 1 very major reason. It painted the WRONG colour!!!![X(][:@][:@] by the time Fw's started entering service the RLM specification of RLM66 for all fighter cockpit's had been in place for years. Not a single picture I have ever seen of a Fw cockpit shows any different, so epic fail in my book. never mind the premium they charge to throw a bit of paint around. It'll take me no time at all with my airbrush to get it done.

Plan B is to scratch build the panel myself, but we'll see what they come back with first.

Thanks

dave
Old 11-21-2011, 09:27 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ticketec

I'm waiting for inzpan to get back to me on the cost of a 1/5 instrument panel kit because they are only listing the 1/4 on their website. The kit itself is about $50, but if I was ordering from them, then i would also get the gunsight at $20 plus shipping because, wel... althought I was impressed with most of the items you include in the kit the like the stick, the gunsight included was not really to my liking from the videos.[]sorry Ty.

I would never buy one of the inzpan Fw-190 prebuilt cockpits for 1 very major reason. It painted the WRONG colour!!!![X(][:@][:@] by the time Fw's started entering service the RLM specification of RLM66 for all fighter cockpit's had been in place for years. Not a single picture I have ever seen of a Fw cockpit shows any different, so epic fail in my book. never mind the premium they charge to throw a bit of paint around. It'll take me no time at all with my airbrush to get it done.

Plan B is to scratch build the panel myself, but we'll see what they come back with first.

Thanks

dave
Again, I must mention this is a warbird thread, and not a scale thread. While realism is very imortant to all of us I would like to point out a couple of things. You can paint the grey parts of the Inzpan cockpit very easily with RLM 66 if you wish. Also, there is an official grey color for the cockpits as well. Sorry I forgot the RLM number.
Also, scale modeling is about impression. I chose to use some of the grey in my cockpit to let light be cast around so the details could be seen by the people who look in the cockpit. If it were all black or RLM 66 you could not see much.
Also, I am building my aircraft for competition, so the details are important to me. But the color of the instrument panel is not something that can effect my scores. I do not fly FAI. So I went with what I felt gives the best impression.
If I were you I would just buy the kit, then you can paint it yourself.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:01 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Dave,
You are not hurting my feelings.

I just try to produce my cockpits to keep them as inexpensive as possible. For the scale guys they can be a starting place and ya'll can add all the detail you want. If you want to scratch the dash there is usually a big enough piece of plastic sheet in my kit to do that. The sheet i supply is for closing the front and back of the cockpit. The inzpan instruments are really nice...

I use the Model Masters RLM 74 for the cockpit interior. It is a grey but not too dark that you can't see the detail. The RLM 66 is just way to dark for me. I have many pic's of interiors and the color appears to vary alot..
Old 11-22-2011, 01:03 AM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace
Again, I must mention this is a warbird thread, and not a scale thread. While realism is very imortant to all of us I would like to point out a couple of things. You can paint the grey parts of the Inzpan cockpit very easily with RLM 66 if you wish. Also, there is an official grey color for the cockpits as well. Sorry I forgot the RLM number.
Also, scale modeling is about impression. I chose to use some of the grey in my cockpit to let light be cast around so the details could be seen by the people who look in the cockpit. If it were all black or RLM 66 you could not see much.
Also, I am building my aircraft for competition, so the details are important to me. But the color of the instrument panel is not something that can effect my scores. I do not fly FAI. So I went with what I felt gives the best impression.
If I were you I would just buy the kit, then you can paint it yourself.
Hey Vertical. Sorry mate, I did in no way shape or form mean to have a crack at you. I'm sorry if it came accross that way.

Warbirds are a scale redition of the full sized aircraft so therefore any warbird thread are always a scale thread, they are inextricably linked. I'm not sure how your suggesting that it's any different? I agree with you that in order to make models look like their full sized counterparts that some impressionism is required, but wholesale changes in colour are a bit of a stretch in my book. Would I do this in one of my models? no could never bring myself to do that, and your right, I would be painting mine if I buy it. But as with all things modelling, each to their own. I'm glad that you are happy with it, and I hope you all the best in the competitons. .

The "other" RLM colour for cockpit is RLM02 it was fazed out of Luftwaffe fighter in 1939. Fw-190 first started reaching squadrons in late 1940/early 1941.

Thanks

dave
Old 11-22-2011, 01:23 AM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: fockewulf37

Dave,
You are not hurting my feelings.

I just try to produce my cockpits to keep them as inexpensive as possible. For the scale guys they can be a starting place and ya'll can add all the detail you want. If you want to scratch the dash there is usually a big enough piece of plastic sheet in my kit to do that. The sheet i supply is for closing the front and back of the cockpit. The inzpan instruments are really nice...

I use the Model Masters RLM 74 for the cockpit interior. It is a grey but not too dark that you can't see the detail. The RLM 66 is just way to dark for me. I have many pic's of interiors and the color appears to vary alot..
Thanks mate,

It's just I know how much work goes into making these and you are performing a real service to the modelling world!

The replacement of the instrument panel is not an indictment of your cockpit kit, but as you are well aware it's rather the sharpness that isnt there with vacforming. That, and the artificial horizon is such a unique part of the Fw cockpit that I would like to have it in there if I can.

I'm still waiting from inzpan so at this stage it's your panel or put my skills were my mouth is and scratchbuild!, As for the RLM66 working with highlights and lowlights can really bring bland colours to life and make those details pop a little more. hopefully my efforts will do your cockpit justice.

Thanks

dave
Old 11-22-2011, 02:57 AM
STICK MODE

On the lighter side of life I have it on very good authority that when the FW190 was first operational the standard colour for RAF underpants where white with a brown stain personally I think ever one here involved with this ARF kit is doing a great job with a very interesting kit and trying hard to bring out the best in there aircraft mine proceeds slowly but have located a great place for ¾ oz glass cloth that will cut to what ever length I need not far from your place Dave so have placed a order top of wing is finished and glassed bottom has had covering striped of and all open holes filled and sanded ready for glass
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51363.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1689734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55889.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1689735  
Old 11-22-2011, 01:13 PM
vertical grimmace

No worries. I was not upset, or even bothered. I have assembled most of the Inzpan kit, and just thought I could be helpful with the colors. I would not let the color disaude you from purchasing their kit. I actually built my own instrument panels and got the instruments from Hobby lobby.

Funny thing about how particular we scale modelers are. We can discuss and argue the most trite items. Then at the field, after I have spent all of my time getting every little detail perfect, my FW 190 D9 is called a Meserschmitt by everyone who sees it. In fact, my Mig 3 was never called a Mig 3. Everyone still thinks it is a Yak! Well, we know though, don't we!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:33 PM
ticketec

No worries. I was not upset, or even bothered. I have assembled most of the Inzpan kit, and just thought I could be helpful with the colors. I would not let the color disaude you from purchasing their kit. I actually built my own instrument panels and got the instruments from Hobby lobby.

Funny thing about how particular we scale modelers are. We can discuss and argue the most trite items. Then at the field, after I have spent all of my time getting every little detail perfect, my FW 190 D9 is called a Meserschmitt by everyone who sees it. In fact, my Mig 3 was never called a Mig 3. Everyone still thinks it is a Yak! Well, we know though, don't we!

I have a P-51B in Don Gentille markings, and so may people come to me and say nice P-40???

I build and compete with plastic scale models, trust me VG, we've got nothing on those guys talk about anally retentive!!![X(]

I started looking at scratch building the panel last night. Do hobby lobby still sell the inzpan instruments? i thought they'd pretty much go rid of the inzpan lines/

Thanks

dave

Old 11-22-2011, 02:36 PM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Hey Dave its going to be a nice project...have you ever glassed a plane without the fiberglass? In other words, sealed the wood with resin only? I did one years ago with polyester resin with great results, just wondering why we have to use fiberglass??
Old 11-22-2011, 04:38 PM
vertical grimmace

I got most of my stuff from here. http://www.iflytailies.com/store/cockpit-accessories/ He did not have the panels, but everything else. My seat is too big though so I would not bother with that. The harnesses are very good though.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Whistling Death

You guys are aware that you can get more power than a dinosaur Zenoah 45, and still get it all inside the cowl??? reliable as well (so far[8D])
You are aware that dinosaur G45 will outlast your XYZ by decades right.
None the less you guys have piqued my interest in the XYZ, for no other reason, it will fit inside a round cowl of a lot of 50cc planes, it runs smooth and has a nice throaty, almost 4 stroke, sound. One other reason, it's cheap as dirt. But you know the old saying. you get what you pay for.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:06 PM
P47Pilot

Will a spinner with diameter 126mm fit this model in a sensible way?

Old 11-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Reverend
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: P47Pilot

Will a spinner with diameter 126mm fit this model in a sensible way?

My really well fitting scale spinner is 124mm so I guess it would fit.

Rev
Old 11-23-2011, 01:53 PM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death
You are aware that dinosaur G45 will outlast your XYZ by decades right.
None the less you guys have piqued my interest in the XYZ, for no other reason, it will fit inside a round cowl of a lot of 50cc planes, it runs smooth and has a nice throaty, almost 4 stroke, sound. One other reason, it's cheap as dirt. But you know the old saying. you get what you pay for.
yeah possibly... but for the same money you can buy 2 of the XYZ.

I know that zenoah has a very large loyal following, especially in the US, but to be honest i really don't understand it. For me, it's paying top dollar for 30-40 year old technology, does it work? yes, but so did Ford model T's and Atari's. Not sure they would be anyone reading this on their Atari?? or flying with their AM radios. A DA or DLE have proven to be just as reliable, put out significantly more power, and a lot lighter weight, for less money, but people keep going back to zenoahs?? I guess for them it's a case of the devil you know rather than the facts. Another classic example is the Harley. Now I'm sure I'm going to step on toes saying that, but you pay BIG bucks for genuine 1940's technology[X(] (sorry I don't buy into the status symbol crap etc). Horse for courses.

Is an XYZ going to outlast a Zenoah, don't know, probably not, but I'm keen to find out!! And so far I have been very happy with my two pots of rice

Thanks

dave

Old 11-23-2011, 02:30 PM
kwik

Here is a nice spinner;

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYYL6&P=7
Old 11-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Whistling Death

I know that zenoah has a very large loyal following, especially in the US, but to be honest i really don't understand it. For me, it's paying top dollar for 30-40 year old technology, does it work? yes, but so did Ford model T's and Atari's. Not sure they would be anyone reading this on their Atari?? or flying with their AM radios. A DA or DLE have proven to be just as reliable, put out significantly more power, and a lot lighter weight, for less money, but people keep going back to zenoahs?? I guess for them it's a case of the devil you know rather than the facts. Another classic example is the Harley. Now I'm sure I'm going to step on toes saying that, but you pay BIG bucks for genuine 1940's technology[X(] (sorry I don't buy into the status symbol crap etc). Horse for courses.

Is an XYZ going to outlast a Zenoah, don't know, probably not, but I'm keen to find out!! And so far I have been very happy with my two pots of rice

Thanks

dave

The only Zenoah that is twice the price of the XYZ 53 twin is the G80.

When you buy a DA you are paying absolute top dollar for old technology. Technology that has been around longer than Zenoah has been in existence. There is nothing technologically new or ground breaking there. Don't believe me? Ask any two cycle engine mechanic. While DLE might be cheaper DA certainly is not. The DLE and DA's are stronger because of the way they ported and have reed valves. Being built specifically for model airplanes they are as light as possible.

Now as far as DLE and DA go they are lighter and more powerful but that is where the similarity ends. While DLE is the king of the hill in Chinese engines they still lack in quality against DA. DLE is cheaper for more reasons than their low wage labor force and lax environmental laws.

Zenoah’s were purpose built heavy and strong as industrial engines for multiple uses. They use a cross flow design for simplicity and longevity. For this reason there are Zenoah’s still flying after 10-15 years.

Why do people keep going back to Zenoah? In most cases it has more to do with than brand loyalty. Their two decade proven track record means something.

Will a Zenoah outlast an XYZ? There is no question but so will a DLE and/or a DA.

I end with a question. Do think guys should stop putting Moki radials in the planes? Don't they know they are spending a kings ransom for 100 year old technology?
Old 11-24-2011, 12:11 AM
ticketec

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death

Thanks

dave

The only Zenoah that is twice the price of the XYZ 53 twin is the G80.

When you buy a DA you are paying absolute top dollar for old technology. Technology that has been around longer than Zenoah has been in existence. There is nothing technologically new or ground breaking there. Don't believe me? Ask any two cycle engine mechanic. While DLE might be cheaper DA certainly is not. The DLE and DA's are stronger because of the way they ported and have reed valves. Being built specifically for model airplanes they are as light as possible.

Now as far as DLE and DA go they are lighter and more powerful but that is where the similarity ends. While DLE is the king of the hill in Chinese engines they still lack in quality against DA. DLE is cheaper for more reasons than their low wage labor force and lax environmental laws.

Zenoah’s were purpose built heavy and strong as industrial engines for multiple uses. They use a cross flow design for simplicity and longevity. For this reason there are Zenoah’s still flying after 10-15 years.

Why do people keep going back to Zenoah? In most cases it has more to do with than brand loyalty. Their two decade proven track record means something.

Will a Zenoah outlast an XYZ? There is no question but so will a DLE and/or a DA.

I end with a question. Do think guys should stop putting Moki radials in the planes? Don't they know they are spending a kings ransom for 100 year old technology?
Yeah, but moki's are just soo cool!!!

If you could get that sound at 1/2 the price I'd be there in a flash![8D]

Old 11-24-2011, 12:54 AM
vertical grimmace

Another thing about Zenoah, you can pick them up cheap, used. Since they are bullet proof, buying a used one is a safe play as they can be easily fixed if something is not right. I just got a G62 with spring starter for $200.
Also, I prefer a magneto engine. Zenoah fits the bill here as well. In fact, I am going to start moving most of my gassers to Zenoah engines. Mainly for the magneto.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Whistling Death

Another thing about Zenoah, you can pick them up cheap, used. Since they are bullet proof, buying a used one is a safe play as they can be easily fixed if something is not right.
That is the beautiful part I forgot to mention. You can find them on RCU all the time for reasonable prices. I just bought a G26 for a friend of mine for $200.00 and he wants it converted to EI so that is another $70.00. He will have a barely used EI G26 for $100.00 less than a new one. I bought a G38 a while back that was barely used with a bent crank for $35.00. Had the crank straightened for $20.00, installed an EI conversion kit and a Bowman piston ring. This engine is now in a ESM Bearcat and is an awesome combination.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:47 AM
n8622t

that is a nice spinner kwik...looks like a backorder for me

Thanks for the find
Old 11-24-2011, 08:49 AM
n8622t

hey whistling death where can you convert a G26 to an EI for $70[X(] I would be very interested in that

Jimmy
Old 11-24-2011, 08:50 AM
vertical grimmace

There are spinners in the works from ESM or someone for this plane right? I will be needing one or two myself.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:53 AM
n8622t

The Chinese market is overwhelming our hobby and they are generally good products...but a good Zenoah is hard to beat in quality and sometimes you just have to have the extra weight to make a model balance properly. Glad its not a problem on the FW190
Old 11-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

I doubt anyone will make a specific spinner for this bird (however nice) as there are a lot of options. Like several already on this forum, I too have ordered a more scale version from fighteraces.. Then Gene Barton makes spinners that work, a little smaller but work. I show two versions of his spinners early in the thread. One is significantly larger then the other and looks better then the one I'm using but I need to cut it for a three bladed prop.

Mine soon will be another color so I wanted the better looking fighteraces spinner to add to the new scheme. Considerably pricy considering the gene Barton spinners came cut for $80 and the fighteraces spinner was over 100 euro or whatever that is..[] a high price to pay for accuracy.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: n8622t

hey whistling death where can you convert a G26 to an EI for $70[X(] I would be very interested in that

Jimmy
It's done with a Rcexl DIY kit sold by several venders that takes about 1/2 an hour to set up. The timing doesn't need to be adjusted so is literally plug & play. This is true of all the Zenoah engines and conversion kits. You either need to use a puller to get the flywheel off or heat it gently with a torch.
[link=http://www.agaperacingandhobby.com/viewitem.php?productid=212]Agape Racing and Hobby[/link]
[link=http://www.rcextremepower.net/ignitions.html]RC Extreme Power[/link] Scroll down to the middle of the page.
[link=http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/rcexl-zenoah-g26-single-cylinder-ignition.html]Valley View RC[/link]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.