Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM FW D-9

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Whistling Death

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESM FW D-9

ORIGINAL: n8622t

The Chinese market is overwhelming our hobby and they are generally good products...but a good Zenoah is hard to beat in quality and sometimes you just have to have the extra weight to make a model balance properly. Glad its not a problem on the FW190
I generally stick with Zenoah and DLE but the XYZ 53 twin has my attention. I think I will purchase one in the near future for an up coming 50cc warbird project. One thing I will do is send the piston and cylinder to Frank Bowman to get some rings made for it. Chinese rings are very hard and take longer to break in. Bowman custom rings are softer, break in faster which translates in to higher compression = more power.
With proper cooling and a high oil ratio I tend to think the XYZ 53 twin will last longer in a warbird due to the fact that they don't tend to fly as much or as hard as a 3D plane. My main worry is replacement parts availability.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:46 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks WD and happy thanksgiving I usually pay the extra dollar and go with the DA line...You cant beat them from any aspect, quality, power, workmanship, and above all, SERVICE They are the best in my book and made in USA I use the others rarely and they can all get in line behind DA
Old 11-24-2011, 12:46 PM
TA152

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Another thing about Zenoah, you can pick them up cheap, used. Since they are bullet proof, buying a used one is a safe play as they can be easily fixed if something is not right. I just got a G62 with spring starter for $200.
Also, I prefer a magneto engine. Zenoah fits the bill here as well. In fact, I am going to start moving most of my gassers to Zenoah engines. Mainly for the magneto.
Rumors here in Norway says Zenoah is developing a 4 stroke engine too !
Here is a video of the prototype I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwAw_...eature=related
Old 11-24-2011, 01:36 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it illustrates the principle very well!

I threw out the zenoah, and in with the XYZ in my Sist D9. But then you might get some problems, like
is it running? Wrong adapter? And so on.

I still havent received the gaskets, but they are on their way. I need the extra power, you see.
If I cannot get it to run, I will buy another one.

Here is the old adapter (The red arrow pointing at it. The arrow points at where the axle would enter).

Above is the new adapter.

And finally a picture of the new adapter in place.

(I cut the old adapter, so only the nut is left, and I still use that nut, since it is self-centering.)

The new adapter is about 4 mm thick. The Sist spinner backplate is also 4 mm. So now I have the propeller
8mm more forward. Which is exactly what I need.

http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/d...er-dle-55.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12554.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1690731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17235.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	1690732  
Old 11-24-2011, 01:58 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Zenoah will never get off the ground and it would never pass the smog control here in the states... but I bet it will last a long time! And when you are done with it it will make a great anchor!
Old 11-24-2011, 02:06 PM
STICK MODE

ORIGINAL: TA152

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Another thing about Zenoah, you can pick them up cheap, used. Since they are bullet proof, buying a used one is a safe play as they can be easily fixed if something is not right. I just got a G62 with spring starter for $200.
Also, I prefer a magneto engine. Zenoah fits the bill here as well. In fact, I am going to start moving most of my gassers to Zenoah engines. Mainly for the magneto.
Rumors here in Norway says Zenoah is developing a 4 stroke engine too !
Here is a video of the prototype I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwAw_...eature=related
[color=#0000CC][/color
yet another first for Zenoah lol man you just made my day ahhahahhahaa
Old 11-24-2011, 02:32 PM
n8622t

It can't be a four strokes like Fuji imac built.....there's had a oil sump which was great for lubrication, but the factory warned against anything but straight and level flight , that would be impossible for me to accomplish
Old 11-24-2011, 02:45 PM
n8622t

LOL stick....looks like zenoah has relocated the factory
Old 11-24-2011, 04:53 PM
dvs1

ORIGINAL: ticketec

ORIGINAL: Whistling Death
You are aware that dinosaur G45 will outlast your XYZ by decades right.
None the less you guys have piqued my interest in the XYZ, for no other reason, it will fit inside a round cowl of a lot of 50cc planes, it runs smooth and has a nice throaty, almost 4 stroke, sound. One other reason, it's cheap as dirt. But you know the old saying. you get what you pay for.
yeah possibly... but for the same money you can buy 2 of the XYZ.

I know that zenoah has a very large loyal following, especially in the US, but to be honest i really don't understand it. For me, it's paying top dollar for 30-40 year old technology, does it work? yes, but so did Ford model T's and Atari's. Not sure they would be anyone reading this on their Atari?? or flying with their AM radios. A DA or DLE have proven to be just as reliable, put out significantly more power, and a lot lighter weight, for less money, but people keep going back to zenoahs?? I guess for them it's a case of the devil you know rather than the facts. Another classic example is the Harley. Now I'm sure I'm going to step on toes saying that, but you pay BIG bucks for genuine 1940's technology[X(] (sorry I don't buy into the status symbol crap etc). Horse for courses.

Is an XYZ going to outlast a Zenoah, don't know, probably not, but I'm keen to find out!! And so far I have been very happy with my two pots of rice

Thanks

dave

I go either way on this one, I have Zenoah engines and also have newer electronic ignition engines. Doesnt really matter too much to me as long as the price is right and I get what I want and it fits into the plane with little or no cutting. In my mind I think why many still use Zenoah is two reasons, 1 being if it is reliable and works great then they don't worry about changing anything. 2, Technology scares many people so when you start saying something is new, or the latest technology it turns many away and won't use it. For some if your talking about a 3-4 thousand dollar warbird they don't want to risk problems in something that they are not familiar with.

I do know that in the case of my SisT 190A I used the G62 for reasons as follows, reliability, the plane was designed specifically for it so I didn't have to change anything I just bolt it on and go, and I need that dinosaur weight up front to help my scary balance issues with an extremely tail heavy plane.

Now for say the Ziroli stuka I am building for example my choice of powerplant is up in the air. I'm leaning on the DLE 55 for reasons it fits into the cowl, produces good power and is affordable with balancing of the plane not being an issue. I have thought about using a G62 in this one as well though but I hate to chop up my cowl.

If I had the ESM 190 D9 I would probably go with the DLE55 or similar engine.

Its kinda like Ford VS Chevy. You'll never be able to change the others mind about yours being better.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Whistling Death

I agree with you wholeheartedly dvs1. For me it's about the engine that fits the application, not brand loyalty. I do have my favorites but I am always game to go with another engine if that's what fits what I need.
I own DLE, Zenoah and RCGF engines. Each has it's place for me.

Since you said you preferred to use a G62 but didn't want to cut up the cowl you might consider a Toni Clark 90° [link=http://www.teamaeroscale.com/intakebends.html]a bent carburetor intake [/link]. They also sell [link=http://www.teamaeroscale.com/zimmermannzenoah.html]exhaust manifolds[/link] so you can get past using a normal muffler.
That might shoehorn that G62 in there like you want.

This hobby is supposed to be fun for everyone and I like to keep it that way. You will never see me look down my nose at anyone or make fun of them because of their engine choice. If that is what makes them happy then I am all for it.
He might have a very specific reason for his engine choice, other than being a fanboy, and I might actually learn something new. Being close minded and hard headed in this hobby is the best way to learn nothing.

Speaking of Ford and Chevy, I have always liked both for different reasons but my last vehicle purchase was a Toyota.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:51 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with you wholeheartedly dvs1. For me it's about the engine that fits the application, not brand loyalty. I do have my favorites but I am always game to go with another engine if that's what fits what I need.
I own DLE, Zenoah and RCGF engines. Each has it's place for me.

Since you said you preferred to use a G62 but didn't want to cut up the cowl you might consider a Toni Clark 90° [link=http://www.teamaeroscale.com/intakebends.html]a bent carburetor intake [/link]. They also sell [link=http://www.teamaeroscale.com/zimmermannzenoah.html]exhaust manifolds[/link] so you can get past using a normal muffler.
That might shoehorn that G62 in there like you want.

This hobby is supposed to be fun for everyone and I like to keep it that way. You will never see me look down my nose at anyone or make fun of them because of their engine choice. If that is what makes them happy then I am all for it.
He might have a very specific reason for his engine choice, other than being a fanboy, and I might actually learn something new. Being close minded and hard headed in this hobby is the best way to learn nothing.

Speaking of Ford and Chevy, I have always liked both for different reasons but my last vehicle purchase was a Toyota.
Were all on the same page re: brand loyalty. I like to look at the facts and experience RCU'er have with them first. And to agree with DVS, In an airframe is specifically designed with an engine in mind, I would be hard pressed not to go with that option if it was a clean installation.

Hey WD, do you know if they make those 90 bends from smaller cc engines?? I've got a 28cc engine that could really use a 90 degree to stay inthe cowl.

Thanks

dave
Old 11-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Whistling Death

ticketec, Toni Clark's intake bends are built around Zenoah engines. The do make an intake bend for the G23-G26 that might work on your 28cc. If the carb venturi size is close and the muffler bolt holes on the cylinder are close to the bolt holes on the intake bend I would be willing to bet it would work. The good thing is it is an aluminum casting and you can work it a bit one way or the other.

Check out his [link=http://www.toni-clark.com/ftp/cat_11_2008_april_1_2010_en.pdf]catalog[/link]. Note- this is a 13mb PDF file. The exchange rate might be a killer.

Hey ticketec, I have see your machine work and I believe you could fabricate one out of billet. If you notice, the intake bend for the 23/26 is relatively short. You could get a smallish ball endmill in there to mill out the intake port.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:52 PM
ticketec

Hey ticketec, I have see your machine work and I believe you could fabricate one out of billet. If you notice, the intake bend for the 23/26 is relatively short.
[X(] Your giving me too much credit here mate!!

If I had decent milling capability I would have a crack at it...

On a side note, as you guys will hopefully see soon on the video, the xyz is starting to rev noticeably harder on the 22x10. It has started to bed in now to the point where it's starting to four stroke and could really use being leaned out some more. I've pretty much only got one or two tanks left of the "running in" fuel mix left from the gallon I mixed up so I think it might be time to put this little donk on some decent fuel and oil to see what it can do.

Thanks

dave
Old 11-24-2011, 08:13 PM
n8622t

Hey Manfred nothing can pass the California test, besides, you have Nancy Pelosi watching over you...not a thing to worry about
Old 11-24-2011, 09:41 PM
PSJDBF

Hey Dave have you looked at the propagteams web sight for the gauges etc to scratch build your panel, inzpan & propagteam are one in the same but they have more listed on their site & from experience are much faster sending out your order.
I have ordered off them three times now & have had no problems with the items sent, lack of e-mail reply ( except once when they were at a show ) & long delays in posting.
Dont know if inzpan is the go between or what ?.
I,m using their instruments & accessorys items for my Zero cockpit.
Cheers Steff.

http://www.propagteam.cz/home_en.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga3jQX0sJkU
Old 11-25-2011, 01:50 AM
ticketec

Hey Steff!!

Long time since we last crossed paths on the forum

I haven't heard back from inzpan yet, but! here are some pic's of Ty's cockpit kit as it has arrived! Have to say, Holy crap Ty, how much vacuum are you getting from your machine??? It's some of the best vacforming I have seen in ages. The resin parts are a treat and I think they will paint up nicely! and speaking of paint, after sprooking on so much about the right colour for the cockpit, guess who has run out of RLM66[:@][:@] Just when down to a not so L, LHS and bought some more this afternoon.

I also received the copy of the flight videos from the camera guy and as he handed me the stick he said he wasn't at all happy with it. Not his camera and the exposure was setup for indoors so everything was over exposed. he was over zooming and so mostof the video has the shakes too. It was a grey overcast afternoon so that didn't help either so all in all, quite disappointing[] He has offered to come out some another day as school holidays has started (school teacher) and video it again for me and he'll fiddle with the setting first. Maybe it was my offer to give him a twittle of the sicks that did it I also attached a keyring fob camera to the pin for the last flight and my mounting braket must have been too light a guage because that video's got the shakes as well.

I have only managed to get one good screen grab from the video so far and tweeked the contrast and exposure a little.

Thanks

dave

Name:	Lj23162.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1690930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63136.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1690931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85653.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1690932  
Old 11-25-2011, 03:46 AM
PSJDBF

Hey Dave , yeah been a while.
Add some scratches & blotches to your video & maybe even tint with sepia, some 1940's music & post it ,it may look like a period vid & people will remark on what a wonderful job your,ve done on the production.
Or maybe not !! LOL.
Cheers Steff.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:35 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the comments.. When I am pulling the parts i am standing there with a infrared heat gun making sure the temp is right so I get a consistent pull.

Make sure you wash those resin parts really well with a good dish washing soap and when you prime them a couple really light coats of primer first... They also can be easily sanded and trimmed..

Thanks Ty
Old 11-25-2011, 06:48 AM
tdog65

If anyone is interested,I have a factory d9 canopy that was
supposed to be a 109 canopy replacement due to shipping
damage.Was told to keep it,
                                                            Tim

Old 11-25-2011, 10:08 AM
GerKonig

I have a question since so many here were talking about Zenoahs. I used to have mine serviced by B&B, and had a Z26 ready to be sent out when mr Bennett passed away. Do you know any other place that services Zenoahs and have reasonable prices?

Thank you

Gerry
Old 11-25-2011, 11:18 AM
vik
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Guys
Prapagteam (inzpan) lunched new web - aerocockpit.com
Old 11-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

I have a question since so many here were talking about Zenoahs. I used to have mine serviced by B&B, and had a Z26 ready to be sent out when mr Bennett passed away. Do you know any other place that services Zenoahs and have reasonable prices?

Thank you

Gerry
PM Antique, he is probably the foremost Zenoah expert in the world. He has been doing special conversions on Zenoahs for 20+ years. He hangs out in the gas engine forum a good bit too.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:47 PM
ticketec

About 40mins of work so far...

Thanks

dave

Name:	Ay73708.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1691320  
Old 11-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: ticketec

About 40mins of work so far...

Thanks

dave
40 minutes? You're slipping. Get some paint on that thing..................
Old 11-26-2011, 05:56 AM
railfly
My Feedback: (1)

what glue can be used to assemble the cockpit kits?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.