Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM FW D-9

Old 10-19-2013, 08:48 AM
  #1826  
Dowmer
Senior Member
My Feedback: (1)
 
Dowmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Herndon VA
Posts: 311
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Ram,
So what is your next project you are sell your plane for? I can always count on you for a good darkside project....which is usually a FW....my favorite

Jason
Old 10-19-2013, 11:11 AM
  #1827  
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)
 
Ramstein44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 2,124
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Still debating. I have two Meister-scale FW190's at 102 inches, 100 inch Meister BF109, 85 inch Meister BF109 partially built, Anderson TA152 and a Don smith JU88. I'm finishing my Dave platt FW190, which will be done here soon. It's getting cooler here sooo, it'll depend on which inspires me first..lol
Old 10-19-2013, 11:15 AM
  #1828  
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)
 
Ramstein44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 2,124
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Ops, wrong thread.

Last edited by Ramstein44; 10-19-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:09 PM
  #1829  
kahloq
 
kahloq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 4,295
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Ju-88 hint hint
Old 10-19-2013, 03:44 PM
  #1830  
Dowmer
Senior Member
My Feedback: (1)
 
Dowmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Herndon VA
Posts: 311
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Ram,
TA 152 would be a good one. I'd like to do the new Fliteskin TA-152C if I could. Wings aren't too long and manageable and rarely modeled.

BTW, do you have a build thread on the Platt 190. I have a buddy that is about to start one. Did you use a fiberglass cowl?

Jason
Old 10-19-2013, 05:54 PM
  #1831  
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)
 
Ramstein44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 2,124
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I wanted to do the Fliteskin version but I could never get a straight answer on having to skin the wings with G10 or being able to use balsa stock.

Here is the forum on the Platt FW190. I started real late because forums honestly take up a lot of time and I feel now that it's better spent building.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1826467

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...TID=20693&PN=1
Old 10-19-2013, 07:20 PM
  #1832  
oliveDrab
 
oliveDrab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Georgetown, KY
Posts: 819
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ramstein44 View Post
I wanted to do the Fliteskin version but I could never get a straight answer on having to skin the wings with G10 or being able to use balsa stock.
What is G10?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:07 PM
  #1833  
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)
 
Ramstein44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 2,124
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

http://fliteskin.com/G10page.htm
Old 10-19-2013, 08:09 PM
  #1834  
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)
 
Ramstein44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 2,124
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kahloq View Post
Ju-88 hint hint
Old 10-19-2013, 08:16 PM
  #1835  
Dowmer
Senior Member
My Feedback: (1)
 
Dowmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Herndon VA
Posts: 311
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Ram,
I'm pretty sure that the Fliteskin models TA152 or others are designed to use whatever you want, however, they suggest their fliteskin would be good to use as a skin.

Here is a real esoteric Focke Wulf question for you. Have you ever noticed the cowl flaps on the D9-13 when open. On the port side they all open but the starboard side in front of the super charger inlet/exhausts the one cowl flap is closed and the others open? I'm looking at the Crandall book and there are many pictures that show this. I'm building functional cowl flaps and I noticed this quirk. Do you know why? I'm assuming it is to keep from disrupting the airflow going to the supercharger.

BTW, I took several measurements from the Crandall book and the ESM ARF is real close. The fuselage is pretty good. The horizontal stabilizer/elevator is about 10mm too big. The rudder is about right for size. Overall, I'm impressed.

Jason
Old 10-20-2013, 03:11 AM
  #1836  
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)
 
Ramstein44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 2,124
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dowmer View Post
Ram,
I'm pretty sure that the Fliteskin models TA152 or others are designed to use whatever you want, however, they suggest their fliteskin would be good to use as a skin.

Here is a real esoteric Focke Wulf question for you. Have you ever noticed the cowl flaps on the D9-13 when open. On the port side they all open but the starboard side in front of the super charger inlet/exhausts the one cowl flap is closed and the others open? I'm looking at the Crandall book and there are many pictures that show this. I'm building functional cowl flaps and I noticed this quirk. Do you know why? I'm assuming it is to keep from disrupting the airflow going to the supercharger.


I noticed the cowl flaps too but I've never read any documentation to support why so I assume that your assumptions are correct as they make sense, considering that there is a deflector for the exhaust on the side with the supercharger as well.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:15 AM
  #1837  
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)
 
Ramstein44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 2,124
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

As for this D9, I'd really like to flip one into the later versions like the D11-13. Extremely tempting considering the outline is so close. It wouldn't be hard at all and honestly, I'm surprised that no one has.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:37 AM
  #1838  
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Brisbane, QLD, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 2,776
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ramstein44 View Post
As for this D9, I'd really like to flip one into the later versions like the D11-13. Extremely tempting considering the outline is so close. It wouldn't be hard at all and honestly, I'm surprised that no one has.
That's because some of us are actually D-9 fans

Thanks

dave
Old 10-20-2013, 06:46 AM
  #1839  
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)
 
Ramstein44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 2,124
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

lol

Last edited by Ramstein44; 10-20-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:03 PM
  #1840  
Dowmer
Senior Member
My Feedback: (1)
 
Dowmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Herndon VA
Posts: 311
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Ram,
Where do you get your small piano hinges for the vertical stab hatch etc.

Jason
Old 10-20-2013, 03:03 PM
  #1841  
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)
 
Ramstein44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 2,124
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I use to get them from Nelsons Hobby shop. Future purchases will be from Meister scale as nelson told me in a previous email; since the world is going "ARF" he doesn't sell many of them and would possibly not supply them. I have a lot so it'll be some time before I purchase more.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:15 PM
  #1842  
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)
 
vertical grimmace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: ft collins , CO
Posts: 7,206
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dowmer View Post
Ram,
Where do you get your small piano hinges for the vertical stab hatch etc.

Jason
Check Lee valley tools. They sell them for fine jewelry box making. Probably cheaper as well.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:20 PM
  #1843  
Dowmer
Senior Member
My Feedback: (1)
 
Dowmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Herndon VA
Posts: 311
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thanks Grim and Ram

I like keeping a stock of stuff like that. I seem to always be able to use that kind if stuff.

I need to make a copy of the gun cover. I've never done much fiberglass work. Any advise or "how to's" to copy the cover? Mine is being difficult and I figure I should make a copy or mold of it before I destroy it trying to get it off.

Jason
Old 10-20-2013, 06:13 PM
  #1844  
kahloq
 
kahloq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 4,295
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I recently acquired some small piano hinges from HobbyLobby...the brick n mortar store, not the online rc site.
The ones I got were about 1 1/2" in length.

I have also gotten 30" long small size piano hinges from Lee Valley tools
Old 10-20-2013, 06:16 PM
  #1845  
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)
 
vertical grimmace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: ft collins , CO
Posts: 7,206
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dowmer View Post
Thanks Dave,
I know what you mean about Darryl. I did get through to him the other day. He can be a bit cheeky. Good gear though. Too bad it isn't a little more scale with correct drag links. However, they hold up and that is what is important.

Jason
I got my Sierra's from VQ warbirds and they came with the door collars. Saved some money and they fit.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:43 AM
  #1846  
corsair183
My Feedback: (6)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: san antonio, TX
Posts: 94
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Someone asked about scale outline of the ESM dora...My signal walk around book says the fuse is about one foot shorter than the wingspan. The specs: 34ft. 5.5 inches ws, and 33ft 5.25 inches length. Someone else on this thread says the plane is square, 82.5 by 82.5 inches. So if that is the case the fuse is two inches too long. Seems a shame because they could've given us a shorter fuse and possibly saved some tail weight. Do I have one ? Yes. But the plan is to build their new Zero first.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:11 PM
  #1847  
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)
 
vertical grimmace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: ft collins , CO
Posts: 7,206
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Not thinking that if true scale is a priority, that the ARF route is the way to go. Kind of odd though cheating the D9 around as it would fly fine as a scaled down model just fine with scale proportions.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:21 PM
  #1848  
Dowmer
Senior Member
My Feedback: (1)
 
Dowmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Herndon VA
Posts: 311
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Corsair183,
OK, you had my interest since it looks pretty good. I busted out my trusty metric tape measure (I have the metric measurements from the original factory drawings) and measured my ESM D9. The planes proportions are actually scale. The box says 82.5 (2100mm) L and 82.5 (2093mm) WS but actually it was 83.85 (2130mm). That is a 1/4.91 scale to the original. So I measured the fuse from the vertical stab (minus the rudder) to the break between the cowl and fuselage. I wanted to measure known points without variables such as cowl placement or spinner differences. 1740mm That is 4.91 proportional to the Full scale as well. The plane is proportional to the full size. Vertical Stab is correct height and Horizontal Stab is the correct width but just a little wider than scale.....but I can live with it. Over all profile outline is pretty good too.

Bottom line. For an ARF, I'll take it. It is amazingly accurate for an ARF, especially for the price. Just remember that the scale is actually 4.91.

Jason
Old 10-21-2013, 09:51 PM
  #1849  
kwik
 
kwik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: kongsberg, NORWAY
Posts: 1,338
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Dowmer View Post
Corsair183,
OK, you had my interest since it looks pretty good. I busted out my trusty metric tape measure (I have the metric measurements from the original factory drawings) and measured my ESM D9. The planes proportions are actually scale. The box says 82.5 (2100mm) L and 82.5 (2093mm) WS but actually it was 83.85 (2130mm). That is a 1/4.91 scale to the original. So I measured the fuse from the vertical stab (minus the rudder) to the break between the cowl and fuselage. I wanted to measure known points without variables such as cowl placement or spinner differences. 1740mm That is 4.91 proportional to the Full scale as well. The plane is proportional to the full size. Vertical Stab is correct height and Horizontal Stab is the correct width but just a little wider than scale.....but I can live with it. Over all profile outline is pretty good too.

Bottom line. For an ARF, I'll take it. It is amazingly accurate for an ARF, especially for the price. Just remember that the scale is actually 4.91.

Jason
Good points!
Old 10-21-2013, 11:38 PM
  #1850  
corsair183
My Feedback: (6)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: san antonio, TX
Posts: 94
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hey Dowmer,

Well that's just really good news isn't it?... I might be happier about it than you are.

Thank you for taking the time to check those reference points. I was thinking of modifying the rudder slightly and moving the cowl back some. Also a center rib between the two wing halves, like you need on the Platt 109 to get a true 1/5 scale...all to try and build in some scale proportions that are ....already in place!

Even though I haven't started building yet, I'm very pleased with what I see in the box...

Gleichfalls,

JLZ

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.