Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 02:37 AM
Pavel Pankratov

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought already ready, now I regret, the coloring does not match the model ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0982.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2229849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0984.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2229850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0985.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	847.9 KB
ID:	2229851  
Old 08-30-2017, 02:41 AM
Pavel Pankratov

Here
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0983.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	990.9 KB
ID:	2229852  
Old 08-30-2017, 03:33 AM
txcnguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LtMash1A
Im finding the same thing. At 49.5 lbs, I am .5 lbs nose heavy, batteries up front, no weight added. But my question is this. Using the XiCoy, the plane is to be LEVEL. What is level on the Corsair? The nose slopes down as seen on the 3 view and datum line is perpendicular to the firewall. I don't know if the firewall has any upthrust built into it or do you find level by putting the firewall at 90 dg to the table top. It get worse. Using the XiCoy I used the back of the cowl flaps as perpendicular to the table (which is level) to find the CG. But then turning the plane over on the EZ Balancer, the plane is tail heavy and required 1.5lbs to "appear" slightly nose heavy.
i had the same issues. We eyeballed it. But need to check it again with wheels up. I don't think there is any thrust adj. in the firewall. From all others these are always tailheavy.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:38 PM
LtMash1A

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was told when using the XiCoy to level the wing to horizontal to find the CG, but this is wrong. As I understand it, with the cowl off, take a t-square and mark a point on the fuse perpendicular to the firewall. This puts an arbitrary datum line on the fuse. Measure the same distance up on the rear to level the plane. In other words the datum line to level the plane is perpendicular to the firewall. The gear weighs a lot. When it swings forward of the CG on landing,. you don't want the plane too nose heavy on landing to avoid bouncing. What ever method you use to balance, the datum line is easy to find. Disclaimer: I'm no expert, but this is the way i'm going to do mine, while I'm waiting on parts from Gary.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:23 AM
txcnguy

I was told when using the XiCoy to level the wing to horizontal to find the CG, but this is wrong. As I understand it, with the cowl off, take a t-square and mark a point on the fuse perpendicular to the firewall. This puts an arbitrary datum line on the fuse. Measure the same distance up on the rear to level the plane. In other words the datum line to level the plane is perpendicular to the firewall. The gear weighs a lot. When it swings forward of the CG on landing,. you don't want the plane too nose heavy on landing to avoid bouncing. What ever method you use to balance, the datum line is easy to find. Disclaimer: I'm no expert, but this is the way i'm going to do mine, while I'm waiting on parts from Gary.
Sounds like a good plan. I'm going to try it again using a laser level to find the datum line. I'll post some pics.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:24 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The Datum line should go right through the prop hub and parallel to it. That line extends all the way to the tail. So set up your plane with the Laser Level and that line in mind.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:15 AM
Buzz_eclair

No, I have the world record for waiting on parts, and you can forget getting a reimbursement as well. Gary, I don't get how you can post all this stuff on YouTube and build sites and screw people over.
Hello

Gary is a liar, i wait since october 2016, when i want some news is answer is : order will be ship soon.

I will write on all forum / facebook / Youtube that gary is a scammer
Old 09-06-2017, 09:32 AM
LtMash1A

Originally Posted by Buzz_eclair
Hello

Gary is a liar, i wait since october 2016, when i want some news is answer is : order will be ship soon.

Post the links when you do it.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:18 AM
michael landa

Default Gary

Post the links when you do it.

which Gary is a scammer?
Old 09-07-2017, 06:14 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

no

Last edited by ram3500-RCU; 09-07-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:43 AM
ram3500-RCU

That is enough name calling. My posting alerts from RCU stopped a long time ago, not sure why, so I have been out of touch with my thread. Not much time to post these days when Facebook takes seconds compared to minutes and even hours some times on RCU.

Back to the issue. We do this as a hobby. We both have full time jobs and large families. Add in the unexpected surgeries, illnesses, aging parents, handicapped grand children, and more, and time gets to be very precious. We work on parts and planes every opportunity we have. It just takes longer than we expect or hope for so much anymore. We are finishing a full Corsair build that we have been working on for almost three years! The owner gave up because the air frame was so screwed up and was ready to throw it in the trash if we couldn't take it on. I hated to see that happen so I committed us to fixing it and finishing it. Way more work than expected, but now she is almost done and she is amazing. I'll be posting pictures soon. Anyway, we regret how long it has taken, but he is elated to be picker her up in spite of the wait. We have never "scammed" anyone or intentionally "lied" to anyone. Promises have been broken due to unexpected things at times, and I regret that, but in no way do we just take money and then walk away. For those with outstanding orders, if you just can hang in there, we will get you what you want. I'm not taking on new orders until I can clear out all the existing ones. In most cases, we are the only source for we we make, the reason why we started offering the stuff in the first place. Having said that, if any of you with orders just don't want to wait any longer, please just PM me with a formal request for a refund, and I will attend to it. Again, request a refund via PM, and you WILL get it. I hope to be able to complete the orders and get you all what you wanted for your Corsair, but I understand if you just want to move on.

We have been helping other to the sacrifice of our own stuff for years. And, we certainly don't do this to get rich, or for the money even. It takes a lot of time to hand make custom parts for you guys and out of pocket supplies and parts cost. So, here is how this is going to go. If there is any more of this name calling, and flaming of us, in spite of this posting, we will be fulfilling our currant obligations in parts requests, and that is it. No more public offerings. It just isn't worth it, to frustrate our fellow builders who don't understand our time constraints to the point of becoming enemies. We will limit our custom parts to our build projects, which will continue as time permits, so the folks that have us build for them will still be able to enjoy what we can do. I hope it doesn't come to this, as anyone who knows us personally knows how deeply we enjoy what we do for others in the hobby.

In review, if you have ordered something, please be assured you will get your parts. You are welcome to request a refund via PM if you like and it will be handled swiftly. Any more of this name calling, and it is over, and I mean it most sincerely. We don't want to loose friends, or make enemies over a hobby. Life is way too short, and this is supposed to be fun. When this isn't fun anymore, it's time to move on. I hope you all can be patient just a little while longer and finish what you started on your Corsairs. We will all be happy to see them done and in the air, where they belong.

sincerely,
Gary
Old 09-07-2017, 07:50 AM
ram3500-RCU

Tried to post a picture. I like the old RCU better
Old 09-07-2017, 07:57 AM
ram3500-RCU

Hello

Read my post carefully. I am serious. This will not be tolerated.I didn't start this thread years ago for it to become a repository for disgruntled name callers. Don't ruin this for everyone else who is patient. I care about every project out there. These planes are awesome. Just take a deep breath and calm down. READ MY POST. Then do what you want. Wait, or refund. It is totally up to you and ok with me either way. Just follow my instruction for the latter.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:03 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't have a dog in this fight but I will say it's not the customers fault when a manufacture can't make a product that was paid for.
There may be "reasons" but those ultimately are excuses. Sorry but it's what it is.
The BEST policy if you know you won't be able to supply what was promised is to refund the money, period.
If the prospective customer want's to reorder .. then they are free to do so.
At least you won't be the object of derision
Old 09-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Growler84
My Feedback: (8)

Anyone interested in seeing the results of a single error during the build process?
Old 09-07-2017, 01:15 PM
michael landa

Default Rip

Originally Posted by Growler84
Anyone interested in seeing the results of a single error during the build process?
It crashed... we know.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:16 PM
ram3500-RCU

Originally Posted by BobH
I don't have a dog in this fight but I will say it's not the customers fault when a manufacture can't make a product that was paid for.
There may be "reasons" but those ultimately are excuses. Sorry but it's what it is.
The BEST policy if you know you won't be able to supply what was promised is to refund the money, period.
If the prospective customer want's to reorder .. then they are free to do so.
At least you won't be the object of derision
Thank you Bob for your take on this. Let's break it down.

First, we are not "manufacturers". We are a couple of modelers who have made our hand made parts available over the years for other modelers. No structure for mass producing things, although I would dearly like to be able to, at which point, maybe we could fall into that category, with a predictive production time and a reasonable lead time to ship. All we have is doing the best we can in our spare time which varies. My hopes were to be retired by now and on a regular routine of working in the shop. That has proven to be more illusive than expected.

Second, it has never been the case that we "can't make the product". We can and do make every part or system we offer. It just takes longer than we would like much of the time because of those "reasons" I have already covered.

Third, yes, as already clearly stated, anyone who wants a refund is always welcome to it. Furthermore, should we continue to do this, I will only ask for a 50% deposit on the gun system, the lighting system, and the power system for the canopy. These are the things that cost us the most out of pocket to make. And even those funds will be refundable. All other parts will be paid for when ready to ship. That is if we continue to do this.

For now, we can't undo the past. Water over the dam. All I can do at this point is what I have already stated.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:19 PM
LtMash1A

From all your posts on Face Book, you seam to have a lot of time on your hands to go to meets and build planes. You present your self as a business, and refer to your customers.Yet your customers have orders that go unfilled after being paid for for months without any response from you. Your long heartfelt response is is no excuse. Own up to it.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:32 PM
ram3500-RCU

Im finding the same thing. At 49.5 lbs, I am .5 lbs nose heavy, batteries up front, no weight added. But my question is this. Using the XiCoy, the plane is to be LEVEL. What is level on the Corsair? The nose slopes down as seen on the 3 view and datum line is perpendicular to the firewall. I don't know if the firewall has any upthrust built into it or do you find level by putting the firewall at 90 dg to the table top. It get worse. Using the XiCoy I used the back of the cowl flaps as perpendicular to the table (which is level) to find the CG. But then turning the plane over on the EZ Balancer, the plane is tail heavy and required 1.5lbs to "appear" slightly nose heavy.
We use the wing. I use an incidence meter and set the plane so it is zeroed. That is the bench mark for balancing. Then she is balanced on the CG to achieve that attitude. It works. We use a point 1/4 inch in front of where the spare can be seen in the wheel wells. This is about 3/8 aft of where CARF says to balance, which is 1/2" in front of the main spar looking straight down on it. That is actually 5/8" in front of the bottom of the spar because it tilts forward. We do this with the gear up, and dry. When fuel is added, and the gear is lowered, an appropriate nose heavy condition is experienced. This is a tried and proven point to balance as our planes have always been excellent flyers.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:05 PM
ram3500-RCU

From all your posts on Face Book, you seam to have a lot of time on your hands to go to meets and build planes. You present your self as a business, and refer to your customers.Yet your customers have orders that go unfilled after being paid for for months without any response from you. Your long heartfelt response is is no excuse. Own up to it.
You have no idea. I have been flying this year (mind you, this includes all meets) a grand total of 5 times! How many times have you been out? That includes the past Labor Day involvement at the Cleveland air show, an invitational that we are asked to be part of to promote the AMA . I cancelled two planed trips because of my wife's heart surgery, and a trip to Canada to get my grandson treatments for his bone condition. Many other events were simply not possible BECAUSE of our commitments and the lack of time. As I already stated, we make many sacrifices to our personal enjoyment of the hobby to do what we do Hardly a "lot of time on my hands". Life was much simpler when we did do our own thing and built for ourselves, kept our talents in house (as most do) and did a whole lot more flying. This hobby was fun. This isn't fun. We started out just trying to help guys, and it has deteriorated into this. This is a hobby, not a business, never was. Sorry if the use of the work" customer" implies more than that. I'll say "other modelers" or "fellow modelers" if you like. Our time is worth something and this takes out of pocket supplies. Money changes hands. But it doesn't need to continue. And won't if this continues. I'm just about fed up with the whole thing. I have already clearly stated my intentions and want to provide all of those guys that want, along with a very clear offer to refund with a simple procedure for requesting said refund, for those who don't want to wait any longer. But just as clear is the obvious fact that this will never be enough for some of you. So, one more time, I'm going to say, stop with the unkind posts. We have a wonderful resource here to build and keep flying a wonderful plane. Remember why we are all here in the first place. Points have been made, apologies sincerely given, and options have been clearly stated. That should be enough for reasonable folks. I f this persist, this thread is done, and so are we. Life is too short to waste it fighting over a hobby. I'd rather be flying.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:23 PM
ram3500-RCU

Originally Posted by aroshier
Garry ...I have the world record for waiting for parts now.....just reimburse me and be done with it or send me the parts..I don't mind which !!!!!!!!!!!...
Actually, you don't, I'm sad to report. But I have your stuff 95% ready. The canopy power was the hold up because I redesigned it after some had ordered it. I still don't have all the anchors made up for the new system but I'm sending what I do have of what you requested, which was a lot. I can send the rest of the hardware for the power system when I have it worked out in a simple way to install, and cover the extra shipping. Won't hold up the installation of the slider in the least. I also will refund you the difference between the new and old systems. $100. The new system is about the same cost in parts, but far and away less time to make up.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:52 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Hello

Ok guys, I'm going to step in here for a bit. Normally I don't get involved and I try to let threads play out with as little interaction from a Moderator/Administrator as possible. But when I see a post like this I do get involved. Coming outright and calling a person a liar is pretty harsh and shouldn't have a place here on RCU. Now I know that Buzz_eclair feels like he was wronged, and that may very well be the case here, but I don't know if he has been or not. I'm not taking any sides in this matter but rather I'm stepping in to let everybody know that this kind of attack, and yes it is a form of an attach, and find better ways to get your point across. If you feel that Gary is not telling the truth in what he as said/advertised then you can state that without using such harsh words. Also, if you are going to make such claims then please show the proof that you have that he is indeed not telling the truth in what he has said. But when you come online and make such accusations like you did they will be considered "flaming" of other members and that isn't allowed here on RCU.

This from the RCU Community Rules that cover flaming:

HARASSMENT & FLAMING:
RCU members are not permitted to harass or "flame" other members. Please do not post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law. Please note that this also includes the posting of taunts on a forum solely for the purpose of demeaning that forum's topic and/or members.

I'm letting this one stand so that I can get my message across so that it doesn't happen again in the future. However, if it is indeed used again in this thread, or any other, then posts such as this one will simply be removed from the thread.

Like I said above, I am not taking sides but I'm here to make a point. RCU is here to allow for a flow of information to all our members and fellow RC'ers. And this flow of information is for more than people in business, it's also here for members to be able to warn others of products/services that aren't up to snuff with claims the company/person has made are not up to snuff with the way the product/service actually performs. All those words simply state that we also want to be a place to warn others of bad products. But, that warning needs to be done in a calm civilized way and not by attacking/flaming. Hopefully this makes sense to all.

So guys, let's please drop the verbal attacks and let's find other ways to get your message/information across.

Ken
Old 09-10-2017, 10:45 AM
Pavel Pankratov

Let me ask the question again, which I was very worried ..
The model can weigh less than 20 kg or is it utopia?
Old 09-10-2017, 11:04 AM
ram3500-RCU

Originally Posted by Pavel Pankratov
Let me ask the question again, which I was very worried ..
The model can weigh less than 20 kg or is it utopia?
That is about 45lbs. I have never seen one that light. Even with a plug in wing, no cockpit, or other scale details, it would be unlikely, IMO.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Pavel Pankratov

My weight, with the removed mechanism of folding the wing 21 kg ........
Very heavy wheels 470 grams, I will cut the walls of retracts ....
Making new wheels ...

You know how to calm the ...

Last edited by Pavel Pankratov; 09-10-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.