Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CARF F4U-1 Corsair build thread

Old 12-03-2021, 07:19 AM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ram3500-RCU
Here we will be preparing the ARF version for flight, flight testing this airframe with a Moki 250 and becoming familiar with the complex systems on this aircraft. This will be done with the plane still in it's silver gel coat. Then, we will apply the basic scheme we intend to model.

While we fly the ARF version, we will be building the kit version, adding all the scale detail we can muster. This second airframe we intend to be our competition aircraft. We are looking forward to the experience and to working with this fine aircraft and engine combination.

Here are some pictures to begin with.
Hey guys, so what spacers are used for the engine mount, the ones in the picture I would have thought included with the kit or engine but don't seem to have them or I'm missing something, I don't see any measurements of the length they are to be?? maybe I'm just missing seeing it?? since this airframe and engine were a match to each other I would have thought were included or at least the size to get.
thanks in advance,
Kelly Rohrbach
Old 12-03-2021, 08:07 AM
Txmustangflyer

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly Rohrbach
Hey guys, so what spacers are used for the engine mount, the ones in the picture I would have thought included with the kit or engine but don't seem to have them or I'm missing something, I don't see any measurements of the length they are to be?? maybe I'm just missing seeing it?? since this airframe and engine were a match to each other I would have thought were included or at least the size to get.
thanks in advance,
Kelly Rohrbach
What you are referring to is what are called engine stand offs. They require measurement and different lengths depending on engine length from prop hub to engine mounting plate. A Moki is going to be a bit different than a Saito, or a UMS engine. Completely different from a single cylinder engine etc.
that's why they aren't included.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:08 AM
Txmustangflyer

Guys, this ARF is a 1/5th scale? Has anyone measured the ID of the cowl?
Old 12-04-2021, 04:37 AM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (360)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

thanks in advance,
Kelly Rohrbach
Hi Kelly-
I do have the measurements of the standoffs at home in my shop. They are all 3 different, to allow for right thrust and just a tad of down. I can post them for you ASAP if you still need them. Have to give credit to Gary Prince, who gave them to me and did all the hard work.
-Mike Oberst
PS-There is a good picture of them with measurements included in this thread some where, albeit not easy to find as long as the thread is.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:49 AM
jchorak
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks in advance,
Kelly Rohrbach
Here you go.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:10 AM
Txmustangflyer

Originally Posted by Txmustangflyer
Guys, this ARF is a 1/5th scale? Has anyone measured the ID of the cowl?
anyone used a UMS 260? Will it fit?
Old 12-05-2021, 07:11 AM
A343
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by jchorak
Here you go.

Thanks jchorak
That´s the positions of the standoff´s. What I believe Kelly asked for and I also am interested in, is the individual length of “A,B,C”. Do you have those or Mike O. did you find yours?

Regards Thomas
Old 12-05-2021, 08:53 AM
Kelly Rohrbach

Originally Posted by IFLYBVM2
Hi Kelly-
I do have the measurements of the standoffs at home in my shop. They are all 3 different, to allow for right thrust and just a tad of down. I can post them for you ASAP if you still need them. Have to give credit to Gary Prince, who gave them to me and did all the hard work.
-Mike Oberst
PS-There is a good picture of them with measurements included in this thread some where, albeit not easy to find as long as the thread is.
So awesome, this is exactly what I needed, I have a lathe so can make a set!!!
Thanks again!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2021, 08:57 AM
K Rohrbach

Here you go.

does not get better than this, thanks Mike
Old 12-05-2021, 08:59 AM
jchorak
My Feedback: (9)

Originally Posted by A343
Thanks jchorak
That´s the positions of the standoff´s. What I believe Kelly asked for and I also am interested in, is the individual length of “A,B,C”. Do you have those or Mike O. did you find yours?

Regards Thomas
Measured length, A = 21mm, B = 20mm C = 18mm

JC
Old 12-05-2021, 09:06 AM
Kelly Rohrbach

Originally Posted by A343
Thanks jchorak

Regards Thomas
Yes need actual length of each!!
Old 12-05-2021, 09:14 AM
A343
My Feedback: (4)

JC
Thank you JC

Regards Thomas
Old 12-05-2021, 12:51 PM
Kelly Rohrbach

JC
AWESOME, this thread has been so helpful !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-08-2021, 04:50 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default end of an era

Hello my Corsair loving friends. My brother Brian and I started this thread some 10 years ago in order to help other builders wanting to enhance their Corsairs with details befitting of such a great platform. After all these years, most would agree that, it is still the finest version of the Corsair available.

We made many friends and were able to supply folks all over the world with parts to scale up their Corsairs. We took longer than we would have liked sometimes, but remember, we both had jobs and families that came first. It was always fun to see our parts on models on YouTube and in the magazines, and at flying events.

Brian and I competed with the CARF Corsair (and other airplanes) and always did very well. Brian was a genius with electronics and a master builder. He did everything on and in the wings, wiring, programing, lighting, gun systems, and detail parts like the pitot tube, antennas, guns, some hatches, and numerous other things. I did the fuselages, power installs, cockpit detailing, surface detailing, tail gear and doors, basically everything on and in the fuselage, and all the painting and other detailing. We each had our own likes and strentgths, and it was a great team. Our shops were just a few blocks away from each other and we were always collaborating on all things RC.

We are also both full scale pilots and he was my buddy in our Piper Cherokee 180. We had a lot of fun flying together and had some great adventures. Brian was almost done with his instrument training and we were looking forward to many IFR filed adventures.

Unfortunately, it is with great sadness that I have to tell you all that my beloved brother, 8 years younger than me, has passed away due to complications from covid. It has been about 3 weeks now and it still feels like a bad dream that I need to wake up from. He was in the hospital one day less than a month and the doctors and staff did all they could, in fact two of his nieces, my daughters, were among his respiratory therapists. It went straight to his lungs and that was that. He was unvaccinated.

Our dad was killed in his plane when I was 13 and Brian was just 5. We both have always loved everything aviation and it made us very close through the years, sharing modeling, RC, and full scale. Brian was 6 months away from retiring with 30 years. He was looking forward to having more time to work in his shop and build part time. Now, my prop is feathered, so to speak. I can't see going on without him in RC the way we have now for many years. Brian was always ahead of me on building. He had more time than I did. I have a business and a bunch of kids and grand kids. I have kids that are now getting into flying the Cherokee with one already achieving his PPL in October. So full scale will go on.

I am proud of what we have been able to contribute in scale building. Brian and I were the first builders of the CARF Corsair to incorporate electric gear and electric folding wings. Now there are countless ones out there. We also introduced working cowl flaps, scale lighting, gun systems, our canopy system, bottom hatches, our top hatch system, strut covers, and a lot more. I am also very glad that I made those you tube videos on our building projects that we all can go to and see my brother doing what he loved.

I have some parts in stock still, and I will be collecting everything together to make a complete inventory of what is left. Much of it is still in Brian's shop and it has been hard to go over and spend the time in it I must to find everything. I will get that done. I'm still getting requests for parts. Please be patient as I work through this. I want everything still left to get good homes on Corsairs. I know I have several sets of Gear door detail panels, a couple light kits, a gun set, and a bunch of other things. I also have some partial kit parts that could be finished using the manuals that I produced (Brian never liked writing manuals) and pictures. I'll make this stuff available for the cost of material and shipping to those who would like to use the stuff. The exhaust that we developed for the Moki will continue to be available as a friend fabricates those for us.

I know this has been a long read, sorry. Maybe not as long as it has taken to type. I hunt and peck. But I wanted to thank all of you who have also contributed to this thread and kept the sharing going. It will still be here to inspire and help new owners and builders of the CARF Corsair and on behalf of my brother, keep building and tricking out those wonderful CARF Corsairs.

Have fun, fly safe, land soft
Gary
P.S>I will still be watching, so feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected] with any questions you may have. I'll do my best to help anyone who needs it.

Last edited by ram3500-RCU; 12-08-2021 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:26 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Gary,
Im so sorry for your loss and I hope there is some sense of pride and happiness that offsets your sadness when I tell you how much your work and contributions have inspired so many others. I know your parts and completed projects, flight videos and posts sure did inspire and excite me about the CARF Corsair. I did buy one eventually, actually, but that’s another story for another time. I’m just going to say thank you and your brother for the consistent support and parts and your love of the hobby. I appreciate it and I hope you’re able to stay involved when the time is right.
Sincerely,

Chris
Old 12-09-2021, 07:33 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro;[url=tel:12706241
12706241[/url]]Gary,
Im so sorry for your loss and I hope there is some sense of pride and happiness that offsets your sadness when I tell you how much your work and contributions have inspired so many others. I know your parts and completed projects, flight videos and posts sure did inspire and excite me about the CARF Corsair. I did buy one eventually, actually, but that’s another story for another time. I’m just going to say thank you and your brother for the consistent support and parts and your love of the hobby. I appreciate it and I hope you’re able to stay involved when the time is right.
Sincerely,

Chris
Thank you Chris. It has been an honor to meet so many wonderfully talented people via the CARF Corsair and P-47.
The following 3 users liked this post by ram3500-RCU:
Chris Nicastro (12-10-2021), GeorgiaFlyer (12-11-2021), jchorak (12-12-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 09:30 AM
K Rohrbach

Originally Posted by ram3500-RCU
Hello my Corsair loving friends. My brother Brian and I started this thread some 10 years ago in order to help other builders wanting to enhance their Corsairs with details befitting of such a great platform. After all these years, most would agree that, it is still the finest version of the Corsair available.

We made many friends and were able to supply folks all over the world with parts to scale up their Corsairs. We took longer than we would have liked sometimes, but remember, we both had jobs and families that came first. It was always fun to see our parts on models on YouTube and in the magazines, and at flying events.

Brian and I competed with the CARF Corsair (and other airplanes) and always did very well. Brian was a genius with electronics and a master builder. He did everything on and in the wings, wiring, programing, lighting, gun systems, and detail parts like the pitot tube, antennas, guns, some hatches, and numerous other things. I did the fuselages, power installs, cockpit detailing, surface detailing, tail gear and doors, basically everything on and in the fuselage, and all the painting and other detailing. We each had our own likes and strentgths, and it was a great team. Our shops were just a few blocks away from each other and we were always collaborating on all things RC.

We are also both full scale pilots and he was my buddy in our Piper Cherokee 180. We had a lot of fun flying together and had some great adventures. Brian was almost done with his instrument training and we were looking forward to many IFR filed adventures.

Unfortunately, it is with great sadness that I have to tell you all that my beloved brother, 8 years younger than me, has passed away due to complications from covid. It has been about 3 weeks now and it still feels like a bad dream that I need to wake up from. He was in the hospital one day less than a month and the doctors and staff did all they could, in fact two of his nieces, my daughters, were among his respiratory therapists. It went straight to his lungs and that was that. He was unvaccinated.

Our dad was killed in his plane when I was 13 and Brian was just 5. We both have always loved everything aviation and it made us very close through the years, sharing modeling, RC, and full scale. Brian was 6 months away from retiring with 30 years. He was looking forward to having more time to work in his shop and build part time. Now, my prop is feathered, so to speak. I can't see going on without him in RC the way we have now for many years. Brian was always ahead of me on building. He had more time than I did. I have a business and a bunch of kids and grand kids. I have kids that are now getting into flying the Cherokee with one already achieving his PPL in October. So full scale will go on.

I am proud of what we have been able to contribute in scale building. Brian and I were the first builders of the CARF Corsair to incorporate electric gear and electric folding wings. Now there are countless ones out there. We also introduced working cowl flaps, scale lighting, gun systems, our canopy system, bottom hatches, our top hatch system, strut covers, and a lot more. I am also very glad that I made those you tube videos on our building projects that we all can go to and see my brother doing what he loved.

I have some parts in stock still, and I will be collecting everything together to make a complete inventory of what is left. Much of it is still in Brian's shop and it has been hard to go over and spend the time in it I must to find everything. I will get that done. I'm still getting requests for parts. Please be patient as I work through this. I want everything still left to get good homes on Corsairs. I know I have several sets of Gear door detail panels, a couple light kits, a gun set, and a bunch of other things. I also have some partial kit parts that could be finished using the manuals that I produced (Brian never liked writing manuals) and pictures. I'll make this stuff available for the cost of material and shipping to those who would like to use the stuff. The exhaust that we developed for the Moki will continue to be available as a friend fabricates those for us.

I know this has been a long read, sorry. Maybe not as long as it has taken to type. I hunt and peck. But I wanted to thank all of you who have also contributed to this thread and kept the sharing going. It will still be here to inspire and help new owners and builders of the CARF Corsair and on behalf of my brother, keep building and tricking out those wonderful CARF Corsairs.

Have fun, fly safe, land soft
Gary
P.S>I will still be watching, so feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected] with any questions you may have. I'll do my best to help anyone who needs it.
so sorry for your loss of such a good friend and brother. I just bought the Corsair and getting all the detail items together before I start so not waiting on parts. This thread started my interest in doing the Carf Corsair, has always been a bucket list airplane for me. Had a Byron Corsair back in the 90’s and was such a joy to fly.
I have been fighting cancer and doing ok so I thought it’s now or never.
was going to be more basic on the build but now have ordered lots of scale goodies from Germany
Kelly R
Old 01-29-2022, 05:30 AM
IFLYBVM2

Default Wing Fold Option

HI Guys-
Thought I would post a link to the conversion that I just completed on my folding wing Corsair. I used a system from a company in Germany called BK Modeltechnik, and so far I can give a favorable review to this product.
I wanted a system that had readily available replacement parts, service, and most importantly to me, support.
I can tell you that the owner of the company, Matthias Kerstan, has been very prompt in replies to all of my emails so far, and there have been more than a few as I worked through the learning curve of understanding how the system works, and proper care and feeding.
To the best of my knowledge, I am one of , if not the first, in the US to convert to his system. I do know of at least (2) other gents that currently have his system on order. I should also mention that Matthias offers conversion of the landing gear system as well, although my gear is quite happy on air at the moment.
Below is a link to my video :

-Mike Oberst

The following 2 users liked this post by IFLYBVM2:
Chris Nicastro (01-29-2022), GeorgiaFlyer (02-02-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 07:28 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I have need of the horizontal stab tube measurements, length and diameter. I appreciate anybody helping me
jimmy
Old 03-29-2022, 04:12 PM
K Rohrbach

Originally Posted by n8622t
I have need of the horizontal stab tube measurements, length and diameter. I appreciate anybody helping me
jimmy
17-3/8” length

Diameter
Old 03-30-2022, 05:37 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by K Rohrbach;[url=tel:12721853
12721853[/url]]17-3/8” length

Diameter
Thank K Rohrbach
Old 09-10-2022, 09:14 AM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Question for those who have built these. I just started mine, and right away came across an issue with the tail wheel retract. Seems the lower mounting bolts get in the way of allowing the unit to retract completely. Just wondering if this is something everyone else has found as well, I’m sure I’ll make it work either grinding or using a smaller headed bolt

Old 09-11-2022, 03:23 AM
Ken-h
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpizpilot
Question for those who have built these. I just started mine, and right away came across an issue with the tail wheel retract. Seems the lower mounting bolts get in the way of allowing the unit to retract completely. Just wondering if this is something everyone else has found as well, I’m sure I’ll make it work either grinding or using a smaller headed bolt

I used pan head screws for that very reason.
Old 09-11-2022, 03:39 AM
IFLYBVM2

Yes- same here. Use a button head metric bolt- RTL or Micro Fasteners has them.
Very tight back there.
- Mike O.
Old 09-11-2022, 06:19 AM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks all, just making sure I wasn't losing my marbles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.