Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Aluminum Painting System For GS P51D

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Aluminum Painting System For GS P51D

Old 08-21-2011, 12:07 PM
fred123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum Painting System For GS P51D

I am ready to paint my TF GS P51D. The plane is glassed with water based poly. I have tried sample sheets with Rustoleum Aluminum #7715. As I expected, it is not at all resistant to gasoline. In fact, gas just rinses it off. I have tried water based poly, and dupli Color clear coat with no success. What paint system, or clear coat for the Rustoleum do you recommend that is resistant to gasoline?
Old 08-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Aluminum Painting System For GS P51D

I would think that any of the automotive finishing systems would be gasoling resistant. I know some guys are using some of the faux-chrome automotive paints to replicate aluminum. Bob Viollet also offers a painting process for duplicating aluminum. You might also look into the Klass Kote epoxy based clear coat for putting over the Rustoleum. Lastly, latex paints are popular and are gasoline resistant. I've seen several brands of latex that offer metallic finishes including silver that might do the trick for you.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Havn't tired this latex but looks just like the Behr silver that was very popular

http://modernmasters.com/products.as...e&lid=3&gid=18
Old 08-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Avaiojet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fred,

My background is in automotive paint products. Over many years, I've sprayed just about everything chemical that has to do with automotive paint and artist paint.

Personally, I don't shy away from these paint mediums. I use no water base "anything" on my models.

Fine for those that do and have great success with them. Great for them.

My advice would be to contact the individuals that build custom static props, and see what they use.

I have a static prop that was made by a professional and I have to tell you, it looks like aluminum. Even feels like metal.

Wouldn't hurt to do a bit of research in that area.

Charles

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89035.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1651710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76298.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1651711  
Old 08-21-2011, 02:39 PM
trent smith

Try Alsa 'killer chrome' pressure pack kit with the Alsa clear sealer. It looks great and is fuel proof. Cheers Trent

Name:	Vs55500.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1651713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64998.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1651714  
Old 08-21-2011, 04:12 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Fred, I'm surprised you're having trouble with Rustoleum. I have been using it on my gas powered planes since 1995 with no evidence of deterioration as a result of exposure to the gas. However, I have not intentionally exposed the finish to a direct flow of gas or soaking. It's all been incidental drops. Also, I have not used any of their metallics. They contain 15% metallic particles and I am concerned about the RF attenuation that would cause. I know guys are getting away with it, even at 2.4, but it will reduce the margin in the link between your transmitter and receiver. It’s something to take into consideration. Dan.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:31 PM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: DAN REISS

Fred, I'm surprised you're having trouble with Rustoleum. I have been using it on my gas powered planes since 1995 with no evidence of deterioration as a result of exposure to the gas. However, I have not intentionally exposed the finish to a direct flow of gas or soaking. It's all been incidental drops. Also, I have not used any of their metallics. They contain 15% metallic particles and I am concerned about the RF attenuation that would cause. I know guys are getting away with it, even at 2.4, but it will reduce the margin in the link between your transmitter and receiver. It’s something to take into consideration. Dan.
According to Rustoleum Q&A (http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGResourceCenter.asp?sn=fa2):
"...
Q Which product has the best resistance to gasoline?
A Only EPOXYShield Garage Floor Paint has gasoline resistance.
..."

However, I have been told that overcoating the paint with Krylon gloss or satin acrylic spray will fuel proof it.

I intend to find out very soon.

Good luck

Old 08-21-2011, 07:19 PM
fred123

Dan: I too was suprised that the Rustoleum Aluminum wasn't more gas resistant. Just a drop or two would cause the bare Aluminum to run. I have used other Rustoleum enamels on several gas planes over the years with no problems at all.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:22 PM
fred123

Space worm: I will test a can of Krylon to see. Fred123
Old 08-21-2011, 08:58 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ron101

Havn't tired this latex but looks just like the Behr silver that was very popular

I have used the modern masters material it works and looks good

I did do a test with glow fuel and found it was not glow proof, it didn't melt off but would smear and rub off on a paper towel , I clear coated it with water based www.warbirdcolors.com paint and it worked out fine the area is now glow proofed,I need to do another brush out to see if its gasoline resistant, but I haven't been in any rush since I only have one plane that's gas and I haven't finished it yet, when I do I will post those results.

I painted the wheel wells I built up on my H-9 Mustang and the silver has held up well now, the paint can be brushed or sprayed, I just painted my wells with a brush

Name:	Jh14676.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1651837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19708.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1651838  
Old 08-24-2011, 05:51 PM
fred123

As a follow-up, I tried the Modern Masters silver, thinned 3 to 1 with WW fluid and a little flowtrol. It sprays beautifully and looks great. I have tested several panels with this clear coated with Krylon Crystal Clear. After letting it set for about 3 days, it seems to be pretty gasoline resistant. I think it will be even better after it cures for a week or so.. I also scratched an "X" and did the tape test. Adhesion seems to be very good.. Looks like this is the system I will use... Thanks for all your help..Fred123
Old 08-24-2011, 07:43 PM
ProScaleRc

I've been using Aclad 2 for years. It has to be the best metal paint out there... BUT it is expensive. It's fuel proof, but also lays up well with a coat of clear.

Check out their website

http://www.alclad2.com/
Old 08-25-2011, 09:27 AM
fred123

What clear coat are you using?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 PM
ProScaleRc

I've used different types. For a matt finish I've used Krylon and for gloss I've used Lustakote or normal clear acrylic car paint.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:54 AM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

Try an automotive paint supply near you. I have found that the PPG paint sytem one of the easiest methods to get a good looking metal finish and it is fuel proof and you do not need a clear coat if you don't want to . They have a variety of metalics and shades of siver for you to pick from.

Bob
Old 08-27-2011, 04:48 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

I've used both Flat and Krystal Krylon clear coats on decals and Rustoleum paints with great gasoline resistance. 2-3 light coats will do the trick.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:54 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

I have tried a few different simulation techniques for this, and have come to my own preference: Modelmaster enamel paints using a variety of chrome, steel, aluminum and gun metal sprayed with mask to achieve different panel coloring and tints....clearcoated with Top Flite clear. I have used the buffing metalizers and it was miserable as regards paint adhesion. There' s just not enough "stick" in the buffing enamels to not pull them up with tape when masking off for markings or panels. You can get an excellent end result using the different varieties of enamel silvers. I have not tried the Alsa chrome, but it does look fantastic. Not even sure where you would get it here in the states. I have used Flite Metal also, and I still prefer the modelmaster paint effect over that for several reasons. I prefer to use a good double action hobby air brush for painting, and using latex, or other types of paints is not generally very friendly to using a hobby brush rather than an auto detail gun, which, to me, is just to big of a "weapon" to use on a model requiring finer detail and paint application...just me on this, but I know what I like. Others will certainly differ, but all things considered like ease of application, durability, end result, etc...I stick with what works well for me.

Name:	Yw69170.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1653969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50938.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1653970  
Old 08-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

That looks fantastic!

I'm just starting a B/C version and also looking to do a Blue noser from the 325th. Not much out there for nose art on the Bs though.
Did you hand paint the Moon beam nose art?
Old 08-27-2011, 09:11 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Will pass along the comps as my buddy painted it, but I got to deal first hand with all of the nuances of the silver paint as I got to sand off a whole plane full of different metallizers and start over when we figured out it wasn't going to work. A lot of work, so hopefully I can save someone else the pain of that experience. I thought it did come out well in the end though, and I will be painting my own TF the same way when I get to it. All of the markings were stenciled on, and they were a little more complicated than a simple stencil job, but I can't imagine trying to get lettering right without using a stencil for it.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:24 PM
funfly-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

I tryed that paint on my meister scale P47

Name:	Jh17033.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1654192  
Old 08-28-2011, 07:13 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

http://www.alsacorp.com/paints.htm

shouldnt be to hard to get
Old 08-30-2011, 05:43 AM
kgwomack
My Feedback: (1)

Hi fred123,
Here is a link to the posts that I have done on my Top Flite GS P-51. Read the entire page. Hope it helps.

Start with post 1454, also 1473.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45...m.htm#10072408

Karl