Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Flew Great Planes Stuka

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Flew Great Planes Stuka

Old 02-27-2009, 07:57 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Flew Great Planes Stuka

Late last year I got my second GP stuka in the air. I made a bunch of changes on this one: for the wing I foamed the D-section on either side of the gulls, and behind the D-section I foamed above the rest of the LG supports. I replaced one of the two dihedral braces for each joint, then glassed each joint. For the fuse I glassed the firewall in place from both sides and covered that white dot under the gunner. I used a Magnum .91 for power tilted about 10 degrees from inverted to allow it to install without carving holes in the cowl. Set up was the same as the first one. I added a bomb drop

The .91 4cycle yields a much more scale top speed. When diving for a bomb drop it picks up speed fast.

Joe
Old 03-04-2009, 04:50 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Flew Great Planes Stuka

My first stuka had engine problems from the get go and this one started with similar problems. It just would not idle. I had my suspicions, the tank was to high and flooding it out when I reduced the throttle. But I had to cross all the T’s and dot all the I’s first. I had run the engine on a test stand and set it up lean for putting in inverted but it exhibited the same problems I had seen on stuka 1. I had a Cub with a inverted magnum .91 4C that had been on for over 100 flights so I swopped engines. The engine from the Cub on the stuka ran like crap, the engine from the stuka on the cub with a little work to get it tweaked in again ran great. Just to prove the point I put about 10 flights on the Cub with no problems and could not get the stuka to run reliably (got one flight and it ended with a dead stick). The stuka flight was typical as long as I stayed full tilt we were good, but as soon as I started to pull back the T she died right out. I rubber banded my 8oz overflow tank to the stuka as close to the carb centerline as possible and the engine was fine. Took off and flew doing all the maneuvers using T control with no problems. Landing was a breeze with the engine running all the way down and off the runway.

Getting the tank where it had to be would be impossible so I put an onboard glow on the engine and that works for now. The next time I order from someone who sells the Perry oscillating pumps I’ll install one and that should solve the problem.

Joe
Old 10-27-2013, 02:13 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got my Ju 87 yesterday and started assembling it this morning. I've read through this thread and took note of the improvements that I'll be incorporating into my plane, glassing the firewall,etc. One of the first things I noticed was the landing gear has no give. Has anyone tried putting some sort of shock absorbing strut on the Stuka? I've got a set that has been laying around my shop for awhile that I may try to use. I'll be using a Magnum .91 engine on mine and moving the mounting bolts so as to avoid cutting into the cowl. I also think I'll paint the front half of the cowl and the rudder yellow. I went looking for some Armor Coat Holland Yellow today and couldn't find any anywhere in town. I may have to take my wing to Home Depot and have them color match the yellow. Any advice would be appericated.