Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM Planes - RIPOFF!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM Planes - RIPOFF!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 03:57 AM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESM Planes - RIPOFF!

Let's see, new ESM Messerscmitt $549 plus shipping but does not include a spinner? Come on, these kits are dirt cheap to manufacture and even with the commercial shipping from Guangdong, they're still cheap. But when they get here we get gouged for a plane that has shoddy construction, poorly designed retracts that are not worth the money, CG's that are so far off they create a tail heavy plane, poorly painted airframes where the paint chips off (not to mention the non-scale pre-applied graphics). I fell for them a couple of times but no more. Oh did I mention... NO SPINNER! Don't tell me the Chinese can't manufacture an inexpensive spinner, because they can. Yeah, some of you dyed in the wool know it alls will tell me if I don't like the product don't buy it, but I'm just sick and tired of spending hundreds of dollars on an incomplete kit. The term ARF should stand for "Am Really Finagled" or something else not printable here. JMTC!

Happy Flying!

Loopman [:@]
Old 10-08-2011, 04:06 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: ESM Planes - RIPOFF!

You should try this:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10005.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	1671110  
Old 10-08-2011, 05:39 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Loopman

I fell for them a couple of times but no more.

Loopman [:@]

So what did you expect the second or third time if they did not deliver a quality product the first time??????

I admit being tempted a few times to buy one of these planes but have never felt comfortable enough to actually buy one. I have heard more than a few times that TBM will knowingly ship you a damaged model and leave UPS and the modeler holding the bag on the damages, what a nightmare!
From what I've seen up close, the only one I would really consider is the T-28. I can't afford the Sierra retracts to drop in it anyway so I moved on.

I still like the old fashioned way of building a TRUE kit, there are never any surprises with the finished result. You just don't get the instant satisfaction so many people are accustom to these days.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:11 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

I like their planes for the most part, but I do agree with Loopman's gripe about a spinner. I would be willing to pay a little bit extra if they would include a good quality aluminum spinner. One of the things I hate most about assembling as ESM plane is having to spend hours on the internet trying to source a spinner with the right shape and size, only to find that the company went under or the spinner is back ordered for months. [:@]
Old 10-08-2011, 06:15 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many times do we have to hear people complain about ARF's, yet continue to go out and buy them; even with all of the forum posts of quality issues, late/no delivery, inadequate instructions, poor gear, etc., etc., etc. My god, have you seen the new Easytiger Duantless...the gear are not even close to correct. Always best to build yer own, and not go for the instant gratification thing. I am not pro or con ARF, but I will not buy them, myself. It's just a personal choice. To those that do, please enjoy and good luck. You get what you pay for.......end of story. You typically cannot build a plane as cheap as you can buy an ARF....but that tells the story there.

Love, your MN dyed in the wool know it all......[:-]

Jeff
Old 10-08-2011, 07:26 AM
styk

Hey guys
If you think you're getting ripped off over there you're needing to come over here and then you'll have something to really complain about

Example ESM 50cc ME 109 at TBM in the States $549=£350 GBPounds

Same plane in the UK $1087 USD=£699 GBPounds

Now that is what i call getting ripped off[:@][:@]
Old 10-08-2011, 07:48 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

styk, you dont have to order it from the most expensive store...

get it here for "only" 507£

http://www.bigplanes.nl/contents/en-uk/d70.html
Old 10-08-2011, 08:28 AM
styk

Thanks very much for the link Sonnich. Much appreciated
Regards
Styk
Old 10-08-2011, 08:45 AM
alanc

KNOCK OFF 33% IMPORT TAX AND VAT, THEN THE EXTRA PAID BY THE IMPORTER COS THEY DONT ORDER ANYTHING LIKE THE AMOUNT THE U.S. DOES, AND YOU JUST MAY SEE WHERE THE EXTRA COMES FROM,and factor in thesuperb customer service you have in the UK will you? as for shoddy construction, and bad retracts, i have 8 of the ESM planes, and i could not make them better, if you dont like them, GO BUILD BETTER, why do you buy them if they are that bad?
ORIGINAL: styk

Hey guys
If you think you're getting ripped off over there you're needing to come over here and then you'll have something to really complain about

Example ESM 50cc ME 109 at TBM in the States $549=£350 GBPounds

Same plane in the UK $1087 USD=£699 GBPounds

Now that is what i call getting ripped off[:@][:@]
Old 10-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Revy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8 of them eh? Sucker for punishment or extremely lucky. The two ESM planes we bought, FW-190 and P-47 are P'sOS! Nothing lines up correctly with gooped on pliable gap filling bonding agent and still they don't have the neat fit n finish most cheaper ARF's have. Forget the retracts and wheels. Save your money, build a kit and stay away from ESM, period!

Good luck with your fleet.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:55 AM
irocbsa
My Feedback: (12)

I think that's a bit of an over dramatic statement. They need a little bit of extra work, but I've been very happy with my ESM planes (Fw-190 and Ju-87D). Aside from the wheel pants, my Stuka is tough as nails and has endured more than a few mishaps caused by yours truly.

Let's dispense with this kit vs. ARF argument. That dead horse has been flogged enough. The fact remains, there are plenty of people like me who lead very busy lives outside of model building and simply don't have the time to sink hundreds of hours into kits. I still want to fly though, so these ARFs are an excellent option.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:23 AM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: irocbsa

I think that's a bit of an over dramatic statement. They need a little bit of extra work, but I've been very happy with my ESM planes (Fw-190 and Ju-87D). Aside from the wheel pants, my Stuka is tough as nails and has endured more than a few mishaps caused by yours truly.

Let's dispense with this kit vs. ARF argument. That dead horse has been flogged enough. The fact remains, there are plenty of people like me who lead very busy lives outside of model building and simply don't have the time to sink hundreds of hours into kits. I still want to fly though, so these ARFs are an excellent option.
If this is your situation then I guess you can just sit back and be envious of the guys who have the awesome aircraft that they have actually built. The ARFer's will always be a slave to what some company offers. The inability to built for what ever reason limits your options. And in my opinion eliminates a rational justification to complain about the offerings. The only way to really get what you want is to build it yourself.
As to the arguement as to how cheap these are to build, this only occurs after all of the start up costs have be recuperated. Try building one yourself and see how much it will be.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:31 AM
styk

Alan
I will say after having quite a few ESM planes and seen quite a few at the local patch they are top notch, not exactly glue part A to part B but well within the capabilities of your average modellers. Every one of them has been excellent fliers as well. When you see some of the other manufacturers offerings with their awful shiny covering then see an ESM plane there is no contest as far as i'm concerned. It's just the price difference that gets me and yes i do take onboard the extra costs over here and yes i will still buy them
Regards
Styk
Old 10-08-2011, 11:06 AM
alanc

ive been gagged, you guys just go ahead and play, as for me, i have the ability to get beyond the minor irratibilities i find,, for those that cannot, there is always shiny offerings from other companys, i love the way mine go together, i love the realistic looks, i love the admiration they get at the field, i have had bother with some parts of the assembly, but on the whole, i am well pleased, and yes, i have 8, and another 3 coming, bring them on!!!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:44 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to look at the motive here as company, They are out to make money. That is what makes the world go around. The people that post on RCU is about 10-25% of the people that fly models. There are many out there that are happy ,( over joyed) that there is an ARF ME 109 for $549. Their market is those that are less picky as far as scale. You can take an ESM plane and have a good everyday flying model. It won't win any awards for scale but for the most part they fly well.

If you are looking for scale there are others out there and their price reflects the scaleness of the kit...

As far as spinners go. ESM will come out with a spinner they just have not gotten here yet. I use to produce spinners for some of these planes but I was taking too much risk for no profit. I usually
barely broke even . If you have someone make a spinner here in the states for this 109 you are looking at about $125 each. for all aluminum( spun dome ,machined backplate). That is if you bought 20 at a time...Hopefully someone will chime in and say i am wrong and we will have a new source for spinners...

Ty
Old 10-08-2011, 01:05 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with Ty. ESM needs to make money. Personally I am very happy that the ESM line exist at all. There were days in the past were you
had to build it yourself, if you wanted a giant warbird.

And be scared sh#tless trying to fly it.

Now I have both, and I can thank ESM for the chance to get airtime with warbirds, and save my "from shortkits"-buildt personal jewels for
the days when I feel more secure. So thank you ESM. Its a two-way volounterly transaction.

It looks like ESM evolves, too. The 50cc Corsair is pretty good, if you ask me.

Oh, and I have no connection with ESM. Just a regular customer.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:27 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

I scratch build but if i were to buy a arf for that much scratch, i would have called them first to make sure i got my spinner wrather than complaining about it now. If you use your computer here to complain you could of sent them a email to find out what exactly you were buying.I dont bash arfs but when you guys who buy them do, i cant say i dont get a smile on my ugly face . joe
Old 10-08-2011, 01:42 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Agreed, it is the consumer responsibilty to know what they are buying. The spinner for the Me109 G has always been a tough cookie it seems, and that would be one of the first things I would wonder about.
I will agree that the ESM line is very nice and they brought the Warbird ARF to a new level. Over half of the planes I see at some warbird events are ESM. While I prefer to build, I very much like what they are doing as a company, and like what I have seen from them. Just lok at that DO 335 Arrow. That is a sweet, obscure design.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:59 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

One thing that is great about this 109 is that they made the G bulges so that you have to glue them on. This opens up so many different color schemes that can be done. Now you can take this AFR and do from a F model to a G model.

I have a Earla canopy that I was hoping that would fit this one to open up to a K model. I have the Fuse K bulges already made. From a past project, will post some pic's in a few days..
Ty
Old 10-08-2011, 02:32 PM
TA152

Have built The Bf109E, Bf110C and the Do335, and I must say I'm very pleased with planes. No other ARF company can deliver the same quality, product range and low prices.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:33 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

I just sold a pica kit spit that i built but had never put the reciever or motor in and i made sure the spinner that i built the nose around went with it. Its hard to find one the exact same size and i would never try to save a couple bucks by saving a spinner knowing how much bull he might have to go through to find one. If you guys complain to the arf companys enough they might see the light. joe
Old 10-08-2011, 03:19 PM
telejojo

I have the hellcat and had to add 1lb. 7oz. to the nose to balance.To me thats a lot and makes a flying brick,but I have'nt flown it yet so we will see.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:25 PM
oldtimer4759

hi all, I have 2 ESM kits, the P-47 and the P-51B, I have over 20 flights on the 47 and love it, flies like a dream, the 51 I am still sorting out, the kits are called ARF well that is using the term fairly loosely, there is quite a bit of work in them, but nothing like building a model from a kit,
OK, so it doesnt come with a spinner, I dont know of many if any kits or scratch builds that come with a spinner either, no radio gear, no engine, bugger, what do we expect. but at least it is built, all we have to do is put it together and fit it out.
someone mentioned the cost, to buy the P-47 at VQ Warbirds in the US is $290, the same kit in Australia is $490, another $200, well the Australian dollar has been close to or above the US dollar for quite a while now,
as I said, I love the P-47, and the ESM retracts to go with it, matched up with a DLE30 I think it is a fantastic model, it might not be 100% scale, I dont care. I like it just as it is, the important thing is it looks good and flies well, it is also nice to land.
But whoever it was that worked out the CofG and throws needs to be castrated and ESM should have done something about it by now.

Oldtimer.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:26 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

You guys getting Ripped Off??? LOL you guys make me laugh, you have no idea how much time and money to build a model airplane. Apparently most of the people who complain about ARFs and still keep buying them have no clue how long it takes to build one. I bet most 12 year old Chinese kids who build this things build better than you. LOL

I fly an ESM LA-7 yup its got some bugs and some things you just have to work it out. The spinner cost me $20, it may not look correct but heck its an ARF. Yes it flies great! I have over 50 flights on mine, so what do I want from it? Master Scale with Master Scale Price?
Old 10-08-2011, 03:27 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Let me see if I get this right. Some would be willing to pay extra for a spinner when already spending a bunch of money for some junk plane. I have a bridge for sale. Any takers? I'll give you a free spinner too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.