Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

warbird ana or digi servos?

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

warbird ana or digi servos?

Old 10-21-2011, 09:01 AM
paul cov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warbird ana or digi servos?

Hi guys,
Bit unsure about best servos to install in 90 size mustang with 120 fs engine, digital or analogue?.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:11 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: warbird ana or digi servos?

Analogue servos are just fine for most warbirds. Not that you can't use digitals but the benifits probably aren't worth the extra cost in many cases.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:17 AM
SJN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need for digitals, they just use more power.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:35 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy witch ever you can get a better deal on, with that size plane it will not make a difference. I have JR DS821 in almost all my planes and even with my great planes revolver I get about 6-8 good flights off a 1200mah battery and still have good battery life left. I also have the DS821 in my Top Flite Staggerwing, H9 p-47 150.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Whistling Death

I like Hitec 645MG. Reasonably priced, strong and dependable.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:15 PM
kwik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont like the humming from the digital servos.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:24 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

I use a123 batteries and monitor my mah usage per flight pretty closely.. My 50cc yak with digitals uses more MaH in one flight than my 1/3 scale busa cub uses in 5 flights.. Most planes don't need em..
Old 10-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Ditto the 645MG.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:56 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reminds me of an old Cheech & Chong saying (slightly revised): 'Digital servos is God's way of saying you have too much money'
Old 10-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

Reminds me of an old Cheech & Chong saying (slightly revised): 'Digital servos is God's way of saying you have too much money'
Old 10-22-2011, 03:54 AM
P-40 DRIVER

Digitals are an added expense; which is hard justify, unless your budget is such that it does not matter.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:48 AM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

consider using the Hitec 5485 from Tower for that plane at $25-27 bucks. It's a great price with digital precision and more than enough torque for that plane. I've had a couple hitec 645's with centering problem.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:44 AM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Analog all the way. What a lot of people don`t realize is digitals " SHOULD" be programmed to your set up. In other words you will hear folks talk about them humming that is because they are trying to center or find that neutral spot which some times is being restricted by a tight linkage. If all is good with the linkage then you need to program the servo with the programmer to adjust the dead band in the center so there will be no humming. The humming WILL kill your battery quickly. Most folks that use digitals don`t have the programmer and don`t know that they should be using it. It is like not having a watt meter for your electrics.
Digitals are mostly good for 3D flying. Quick precision maneuvers and in cases where you may need to have a servo go in reverse. For the most part warbirds don`t need it. Not even most jets. They all flew perfectly fine back 20 years ago with no digitals from the smallest to the biggest. Also note DIGITAL SERVOS AND RECEIVERS ARE POWER HUNGRY meaning a good size battery pack to feed all needs. So keep that in mind if you are one that like to have feather light warbirds.
Its good to see folks are coming around to realize that. Not too long ago there were some that insisted that you use digitals because of some nonsense about safety and holding power...As though in the 80s and 90s all the planes that were flying were a huge safety hazard at all flying fields.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:24 AM
paul cov

ok, guys ive gone for analogue, futaba s3010's all round, ive heard good things about these babies and should do the job just fine, thanks for all info, much appreciated guys.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Oberst
Banned

For me I use JR standard for my warbird planes, but that depends on the size and weight of the warbird I'm building. I use JR digital if my planes are heavy in weight and are high preformance. In a ESM Fockewulf, 109 or 335 or any of them of that make I would use digital. For Hanger 9 1/5- 1/6 scale I would use standard. BUSA 1/4 scale or 1/3 scale I would use digital.

My Discontinued Custom GP Fokker

Stock dry weight of the GP .60 Fokker DR1: 8.5 lbs.
My Custom Modified Rebuilt GP Fokker DR1: 13.6 lbs.

Difference is about 5.1 lbs on the heavy side. I weighed myself on the digital scale then picked up parts of the plane in sections and got a base weight of each pat of the plane. Not the most accurate way of doing it, but close enough give or tale + or - a pound. I first weighed the fuse, then 2 of the wings, then one wing, and weighed the hardware and struts.

I weigh 180.6 lbs

Fuse 187.4 lbs
Top and middle wing 183.2 lbs
Bottom wing 182.0 lbs
Struts and Hardware 181.0 lbs

Minus my weight = 13.6 lbs minus another 8.5 lbs = 5.1 lbs. Estimated weight.

O.S. 91FX (Ringed) is 550g (19.420z) or 1lb. and 3.5oz rounded off.
Solartex, Dubro tires, wire rigging, pilot bust and E-flite micro servo that's in it, details and brass struts do all add to the weight.

Wing Loading on the stock GP Fokker Dr1 is 14.3oz./sq.ft.
Wing Area: 1367 sq. in.
Top Wingspan : 60.25 in.
Middle: 51in.
Bottom: 475 in.

So all in all I'm on the heavy side, but I'm guessing I'm in the safe zone after doing the math. My accuracy is about a few pounds + or minus because a digital scale isn't 100% accurate.

I use standard JR Sport ST47 servo's in it and it works fine, if the plane was any heavier I'd use digitals, but because the weight isn't too bad and the plane flies to scale. Any plane that is 15lbs on up I'd go digital.

Pete
Old 10-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: paul cov

ok, guys ive gone for analogue, futaba s3010's all round, ive heard good things about these babies and should do the job just fine, thanks for all info, much appreciated guys.
Those will be fine in a 90 size warbird.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:47 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

ORIGINAL: 91zulu

Analog all the way. What a lot of people don`t realize is digitals '' SHOULD'' be programmed to your set up. In other words you will hear folks talk about them humming that is because they are trying to center or find that neutral spot which some times is being restricted by a tight linkage. If all is good with the linkage then you need to program the servo with the programmer to adjust the dead band in the center so there will be no humming. The humming WILL kill your battery quickly. Most folks that use digitals don`t have the programmer and don`t know that they should be using it. It is like not having a watt meter for your electrics.
Digitals are mostly good for 3D flying. Quick precision maneuvers and in cases where you may need to have a servo go in reverse. For the most part warbirds don`t need it. Not even most jets. They all flew perfectly fine back 20 years ago with no digitals from the smallest to the biggest. Also note DIGITAL SERVOS AND RECEIVERS ARE POWER HUNGRY meaning a good size battery pack to feed all needs. So keep that in mind if you are one that like to have feather light warbirds.
Its good to see folks are coming around to realize that. Not too long ago there were some that insisted that you use digitals because of some nonsense about safety and holding power...As though in the 80s and 90s all the planes that were flying were a huge safety hazard at all flying fields.
Only some digital servos can be programmed, digis can be used like any other analog servo.

They hum when idle, its not hurting anything.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:11 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

One major and important difference between the two types of servos is the power that is applied when a load is present. The analog servo applies more and more power as the load increases. Push on a analog control horn and you'll see it is a bit spongy as it applies more and more power till it is at 100%.

A digital servo is giving 100% of it's power to hold it's position, no matter what the load amount. The noise is all 100% the power present.

Use a bit more power. I use both types. I use digital in surfaces I want no play in and 100% power at all loads. Like on my BVM EDF F-16's flying stabs.

But note that any servo will use power if it's binding.

Steve
Old 10-24-2011, 08:07 PM
dvs1

I personally would use analog servos in that size plane. Thats pretty much all I use except in my SisT FW-190 80+ inch heavy warbird that I have thousands invested in it. In which case I will be using Digital servos in the Ailerons and elevators only, rudder, flaps and everything else just get high torque analog. I also have a 100 inch Stuka that I will have all analog servos in it as well. Analog is pretty much all I have ever used in the past and have never had a failure in the air with analog. Have had a few failures due to crashes but that isn't the servos fault.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:02 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: dvs1

I personally would use analog servos in that size plane. Thats pretty much all I use except in my SisT FW-190 80+ inch heavy warbird that I have thousands invested in it. In which case I will be using Digital servos in the Ailerons and elevators only, rudder, flaps and everything else just get high torque analog. I also have a 100 inch Stuka that I will have all analog servos in it as well. Analog is pretty much all I have ever used in the past and have never had a failure in the air with analog. Have had a few failures due to crashes but that isn't the servos fault.

LOL! Yea me too. Most all my crashes was because I did something that wasn't so bright. I feel your pain Brother.

Pete
Old 10-26-2011, 11:51 AM
prop wash

Hitec 645mg's are fine.I use them in all my GS TF & H9.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30729.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1679003  
Old 11-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

Just a follow up here; I would also suggest using a 5 cell battery pack. The sweep time drops and the torque increases.