Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 30cc P-47 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 30cc P-47 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 30cc P-47 Build Thread

I was so excited to get my model today, ran out in the shop and started to up pack the model. The box was in perfect shape and everything was packed very well with no movement.
I pulled the fuse out first.... what a mess!! [:@] rips in the covering, dents under the covering, all over the place.... unreal. The box was perfect with nothing loose in the box. Someone packed this model like this.
Next thing I noticed is the overpowering smell, someone spilled something all over the inside of these box...very strong smell like fuel, not oil. [&o]

The wing panels laid below the fuse in there own box and baged, each wing has a big blimish right in the middle of the panel. The rest of the parts look fine but the major stuff is just crap. I have had such good luck with horizon and hanger 9 I'm shocked that this thing left horizon like this. As I said the box is perfect so QC dropped the ball big time

I paid over $800 and waited 8 months for this thing and it's trash..... can't believe it.

I love horizon and really hope they will have my back on this thing, I hate packing things up and sending them back..... so I hope they have my back
so upsetting I had to just leave my shop and get away from it....really pissed off.[:@] I'll call them in the morning and see where this goes I hope it's not a pain in my axx

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36131.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	1769241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50232.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	1769242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wm84407.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	1769243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bd66790.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	1769244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af36113.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1769245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24855.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	1769246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38956.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	1769247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12620.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1769248  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep84999.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	1769249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx31726.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1769250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj87283.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	1769251  
Old 06-04-2012, 07:17 PM
lablover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron

That is so sad to wait so long then get smacked in the face! Iwould be LIVID!

They gotta make it right, good call on takin photos

Good Luck
Old 06-04-2012, 08:38 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

thats just not right...

Casey
Old 06-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Ron101

Ron

That is so sad to wait so long then get smacked in the face! I would be LIVID!

They gotta make it right, good call on takin photos

Good Luck
I can't believe it really... I have been buying hanger 9 planes for years and they have always been top notch this was a huge let down. Looking it over more I see the cowl is deformed also and they didn't fix that gap on the top hatch like John had to fix.

If I didn't already buy the motor, ESC, servos, RX I'd say forget it

My Top Flight P-47 arf was perfect, not a blimish on it..... but I'll jut have to see how this goes down

I was taking the pictures to show how perfect it was going to be, glad I did take them.... what a shock for me [:'(]
Old 06-05-2012, 12:31 AM
RoysterDW

Wow thats not good. Sorry you got a lemon Ron. Thats put me off buying one now.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:31 AM
Ron101

Wow thats not good. Sorry you got a lemon Ron. Thats put me off buying one now.
Thanks Royster, going to contact horizon in a few after I get the kids to school..... I hope all goes smoothly and I'm not waiting weeks for a replacement.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:26 AM
Ron101

Spoke with Horizon and they said to box it back up, they are emailing me a paid shipping label. Once they get the plane back they ship out a new one...
So it shouldn't take to long, hope the next one is much better.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Hey ron,

Real sorry to see this. I have forwarded the pictureson to the development team for review. They are looking into this to try to better understand how this could have happened. The oil/fuel spill is the most disconcerting point here. We will find out.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Ron101

Hey ron,

Real sorry to see this. I have forwarded the pictureson to the development team for review. They are looking into this to try to better understand how this could have happened. The oil/fuel spill is the most disconcerting point here. We will find out.

Thanks John,
I just printed my label and will take it over to UPS in a few. The part that sucks for me is I'm in California so instead of shippping back to your west coast warehouse it has to go US ground all the way back to Illinois, then you guys ship back...were talking another 2 week wait for me. That's kind of lame.... you think they could ship once they have confrimation I shipped it. but it is what it is... I just pray this was a one off issue and the next one looks much better and with no spill in the box. I also hope they don't run out and I"m back on the back order list..... I would be done with it forsure if that's the case

I probably wouldn't be as pissing if I hadn't waited so long for this thing so don't think I'm a jerk wad I'm sure it will all work out fine in the end
Old 06-06-2012, 02:50 AM
lablover

Ihope you put some of those pics in the box as well. Heck, they may think the damage happened shipping it to them!

Cool they are gonna make good, but the wait really stinks! You would think for as much as you paid, as long as you waitied, they would of shipped one back out to you ASAP then ask for the defective one back. They should of asked for photos via email and that should of been confirmation enough.

You did nothing wrong here and you are the one who has to wait!!! Kind of sounds like customer service from the same folks who made the darn thing! (hint hint).

Hey John, forward the pics to the Customer Service department and ask them to send Ron the plane he paid for now and not have him wait for something Horizon or the "Help" they contracted did wrong.

Now that would be Cutomer Service !!!!

Can ya tell Igot up on the wrong side of the bed.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:17 AM
John Redman

I understand everyones issue here. Ron should not have to wait after he paidf for it. He should have received an undamaged product from the beginning. Things do happen. Please understand guys this is a regular day for us unfortunately. We receive hundreds of calls a day saying a product is defective and we send one out and never get the other one back. Or the defective product is one that slammed into the ground. We have processes to ensure we are here for the long run and to support all of you. Ron has sent me all the tracking information and has done his part.

I believe we all agree that what Ron has showed us not acceptable and we will stand behind the product. We will get him taken care of, I promise.

Now if we did get a kit to him by say Friday, I can then see him spending the entire weekend in the shop building it and not doing those honey-do chores we all get stuck with. Then his wife might come on here and get mad at us for taking him away from cutting the grass. lol!!!

I am working this one personally.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:53 AM
glazier808

John,

... you sir are first rate! Rons a pretty well respected builder here in my eyes, and will only help you sell an already great looking plane.

Glad to see other people still care about right and wrong and being fair.

Casey
Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 AM
John Redman

I agree totally Casey. We really want to do right in the industry, that is what our values are all about. Sometimes our processes can tend to slow things up a bit.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 AM
glazier808

....so offer me some Luft! Even a nice 80" Zero perhaps??? The industry is quite biased you know!!!
Then I can say, "I'm a happy customer too!"

Casey
Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Ron101

John I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me on this
This is the reason I have bought from you guys for years, you are one of the very best out there.

I post pictures of about every plane I get, that's how we all share our experiance. I had mixed feelings about sharing these damaged photos, but I wanted to show the good and bad to be fair.

In this case I believe these damaged photos are going to show what top notch customer support you have and how quickly you can make things right. For me that worth it's wait in gold and what seperates you from the rest. I have 100% faith this will all work out well

I will promise a nice build thread and flight videos showing what a high powered electric warbird can do.... what I have planned is not for the faint of heart and should really turn some heads and the field and local meets.

thanks again
Ron
Old 06-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Ron101

John,

... you sir are first rate! Rons a pretty well respected builder here in my eyes, and will only help you sell an already great looking plane.

Glad to see other people still care about right and wrong and being fair.

Casey

Thanks for the kind words Casey and very well said.....this is why I love horizon and hanger 9
I've owned many horizon brand planes over the years and love them all... couple of my favorites are my habu 32 and hanger 9 P-51 fly them weekly and love them!!
Old 06-08-2012, 03:51 AM
Doug Andre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

I have started work on my sample and found similar scarring on my fuse and one wing but was able to shrink most of it out. My sample was packed very thoughtfully. The damage looked to be inflicted during handling at the factory. The finish work on the sides of the fuse near the wing fillet was quite rough however. Not a deal breaker but unfortunate.
I was shocked to learn that the EP motor mount and battery tray would not ship until late October! Hope this is a typo.

Thanks

Old 06-08-2012, 10:07 AM
John Redman

Hey Doug, Sorry to hear about the small marring on your model. Glad to hear you were able to work it out, but not good none the less.

I will check on the electric parts for you. That is down right ridiculous!!!! I am headed to the airport to catch a flight to New York for work and will be back in the office on Tuesday. Will check then.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:55 PM
lablover

Hey John

Any pics of the safety wire on the evo yet? Ihave the 80 on a plane so I want to nip it in the bud

Old 06-12-2012, 10:59 AM
njmheli

Hi All.
Just received my P-47D here in the UK............The main "carriage" box showed the usual long distance travel marks,but only minor ones!! The main Thunderbolt box was perfect,no signs of any damage,pretty good so far........
When I opened the box,all was well secured and very neatly done I must add,so full marks for that HH.Having followed this thread and read what had happened to Ron.I was keen to see the fuzz,again this was well wrapped and secure............I was pleased to see that the fuzz was perfect,no damaged and I found onlt two minor "bubbles" ( so far !!!).I was however very dissapointed to see that the HATCH LENGTH had not been sorted,so I guess I will be doing that fix as per John's in this thread ( I think that I will probaly apply the extra balsa wood to the firewall end and just cover that mod with "silver H9 covering").
The remainder of the kit was perfect,no other damage was seen on any other items..........so again,very pleased with that !!!
It would appear that,and I quote here" A few models have left the factory with the aileron covers fitted in REVERSE".......MINE IS ONE OF THESE!!!!! A "yellow" ADDENDUM is inclued with all the info you will need,together with a "part" star and bar " to fix when you turn the cover to it's correct position........the other wings aileron cover is plain "silver",so no problem there.

I think that Ron's smell and oil stain was coming from the "fixed" gear pack,which is heavily oiled to prevent rusting and of course the oil will soak through the plastic bag........I guess they put too much oil on Ron's gear or didn't drain it long enough.........my box that contained these items had oil staining,but not too much had soaked to the rest of the packing boxes.

In all very pleased with what I have received,but I must say on Ron's case, as he wants to go electric......THE ITEMS REQUIRED FOR ELECTRIC SHOULD BE INCLUDED AS STANDARD IN THIS VERY EXPENSIVE HIT ( NOT SOLD AS AN OPTION )......correct me if I'm wrong,but I thought most H 9 offered electric mounts as standard and in much lower priced ARTf's.

I can understand the "pilot-Tub" being an option to be bought...........on that option subject,I ordered the bombs and belly tank option,only to find them standard in the box !!! I may have mis-read on the product advert when it first appeared !!!

I would like to thank John Redman for this superb build thread..........I hope I can acheive a good result and I will post my build as it gets going.

I hoping to power this bird with the OS 55GT Petrol............all looks good to fit and will see what can be done to make sure the firewall is up to the task.

Nick...........(UK).
Old 06-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Doug Andre

Nick,

Glad your sample was in good order.   My fixed gear hardware pack was also  swimming in oil but was contained by the plastic bag. 
My ship will be EP and I too was disappointed that the motor box and battery tray was not included. I would have gladly traded that fantastic static prop for EP parts.  Now we are reading that these items will not ship until late October.    Over all still a very nice model and we all know how well they will fly.

Regards
Old 06-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Ron101

Great news Nick! glad to hear that mine looks to be a one off issue ( or maybe just a few)

Horizon received my package and has sent my replacement out... they did air mail pack to me so I should have mine tomorrow, so that is great news!!

I agree that they really should include the battery tray and motor mount for this cost, but it is what it is and I have no idea what there over head is in these kits...

I keep looking for the landing gear to come into stock so I can order that too

I have the cockpit, battery tray, and eletric motor mount on back order.... but I don't want to order the landing gear until it's in stock. I hope it won't be long or this plane will have to sit around.

Looking forward to looking over my replacement
Old 06-12-2012, 06:09 PM
lablover

Hey RonDo you think you will run into any CG issues going electric? Isn't this baby tail heavy? I think I want to do a elec myself
Old 06-12-2012, 06:21 PM
John Redman

Hey guys a few notes.

First Ron I am sorry to hear your kit has not yet arrived. I thought my actions would accelerate it a bit. It seems I have failed on this one. I do appologize for that. Ugh - corporate companies!

On the electric battery tray and mount being included, I understand the thoughts here. This was done to help keep the price where it was at. Not a real choice, I believe the Hangar 9 team feels the same way. One of the choices a developer has is what to include and not include. It was still believed to include the fixed gear. Removing it and they could have included the electric items. Hit or miss. I hope you guys understand. Those can be some of the toughest decisions out there.

On the oil staining, as we continue to look into this we found all the fixed gear replacement parts are saturated with oil in both warehouses. We do believe this to be the culprit on the oil staining inside the box. We are taking preventative measures to handle that in future runs.

On the muffler bolts, here is the solution. I did the same thing on my Evo 80 in my Robart P-47. The bolts are from Lowes and are 4mm x40mm long. Drill a 1/16' hole through each head with a COBALT drill bit. Drill at medium speed on a drill press and use oil to keep the bit lubricated.

I then cut 1/8" off the thread ends and rounded the end of the bolts. Install the bolts with a couple of large washers to mount against the muffler. Don't over tighten, but snug them up good. Use some high temp silicone between teh muffler and exhaust flange.

Once tight, then use some .025" stainless safety wire and install as per the picture. You will note that if you begin to loosen one of hte bolts, it pulls the other bolt tight. A backwards S is the answer.

This has worked perfect on my Evo 80 for over 100 flights with no maintenance.

Sorry it took so long but I have been in and out of the office traveling and when home been doing the baseball thing with my son. Enjoy guys!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67813.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1771608  
Old 06-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Ron101

I don't think it will have an issue.... the old green razorback version has been converted by many
and Horizon has the conversion kit themselfs for it, so I don't see an issue

keep you posted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.