Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Suggested F4U Corsair kits/ARFs

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Suggested F4U Corsair kits/ARFs

Old 01-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Albatross1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggested F4U Corsair kits/ARFs

Hi All,

I'm starting to get serious about putting together an F4U Corsair and I'm wondering if there are any out there that I'm not aware of. I'd be interested in suggestions of various Corsair kit/ARF makers to see if I've found most of them to check out. Any comments about quality and durability would also be appreciated. Also, for what it is worth, I'd prefer to go for a non-foamy version.

Basically, I'm the one leaning toward is the 74" ESM (KMP) Corsair and I'd make it an electric powered version (eg. probably something like an Eflite Power 160 motor). I'd also search out some kind of electric retracts and I'd probably modify it to have a retractable tailwheel. This kit has a fibreglass fuse, and center wing section, with covered outer wing sections. I'm not sure the wheel size, but I fly off of a roughish grass field so I'd need larger than 3.5" wheels. I'm not sure how durable the ESM planes are so any comments about that would really be appreciated. You can checkout the kit here http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/ESMF4U-74FAF.html

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas that anybody might have.

Thanks
Dave
Old 01-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Albatross1

Default RE: Suggested F4U Corsair kits/ARFs

bump?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:55 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for ESM planes quality, I have been quite pleased. I have the ESM P-40 and the Bf-110. I am still putting them together, but both seem to be well made. I hope they fly as good as they look.

I have been flying a Top Flite Corsair (60 size) for a couple years and it is a good flying model. Of course, most warbirds are tricky to fly and the Corsair is definately one!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:44 AM
XTRA230
My Feedback: (10)

Hi Last year I purchased the ESM have not started yet But all looks good reason to replace my lost ESM skyraider Many flights so I have no reason to think the kit to be any different but good
Rob...[8D]
Old 02-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Plane Bob

Hi All
Bob Here from ARF Planes.com
We will be attending the Southeastern model show in Perry Ga on March 2nd and 3rd
We will be bring a large selection of ESM and ECOM RC planes
If you would like to save shipping charges and pick up your plane in Perry,
We sold out of many of the planes early last year so if you know what you want, call to reserve a kit soon.

If you have any questions or require assistance with an order please contact me by Phone or E-mail.
Thanks
Bob
The ARF Pro
A division of Ace Hobbies LLC
Venice, Florida
(941) 232-8188

www.arfpro.com
www.arfplanes.com
Old 02-05-2012, 09:29 AM
oliveDrab

I'm also leaning towards the KMP (ESM) Corsair 74" and want to make it electric. The only thing that's stopping me is...............I don't want to cut a big square hole in the top of the fuselage to make a battery hatch for the 10S Lipo (2 X 5S). That's what I've done to my 4 previous electric planes but I'd like to avoid that with the Corsair.

Other options:
- place the Lipos beneath the cowl
- create removeable structure underneath the canopy and slip the batteries in that way.

Removing the wing between flights is not an option. I welcome any suggestions anybody may have. What the heck, I may just buy the plane first and figure it out later.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Albatross1

Hi I'm thinking the same as you, maybe electric retracts though if I can find reasonably priced ones.

The following video is well done and shows pretty good images and discussion of the battery placement he used. Taking cowl on and off seems like a hassle though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfu8j...layer_embedded

Check out the text on youtube video for this link, there's some clues there about how to place batteries: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrXvb6Tx4

I'd suggest checking the other builds on RCU and RCG as well.

enjoy
Dave