Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Tell me about the joys of flying a Warbird

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Tell me about the joys of flying a Warbird

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 12:57 AM
Ch0pp3r
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me about the joys of flying a Warbird

WWI or WWII?
Here are some ideas.

WWI airplanes all have too small of a rudder. A design flaw of the times.
WWI airplanes have EXTREMLY short nose coupling. A design flaw of the times. (try getting the balance right)
A scale airfoil on most WWI birds is under-cambered and too thin. You can use a non-scale airfoil however, but then it's not scale. Changing airfoils on a WWI bird is usually a drastic change from the original design.
WWI airplanes are lightly wing loaded and a bear to fly on windy days (no rudder!) but a joy in no wind conditions.

There are however "better" WWI airplanes to choose from, just not many. The SE-5 being a great choice IMHO.

WWII airplanes are heavy wing loaded and have their problems with that. Building a "fun scale" version the first time out can help that issue. Building scale, and light is also possible. Retracts can be a pain but can also be avoided with airplane choice. And there are many choices.

Just some random thoughts.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:05 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the temp is only a puny 110 most days now.

When I said $1000 that was just for the plane and retracts. I already got the motor - a YS1.20. I am only looking in the 1/4 scale size because of my engine and not wanting to be to small or to big.

I really like the Hellcat; but I have not found a 1/4scale ARF Hellcat by anyone except GSP. If someone knows of one let me know.

I am also weaking and thinking about maybe having someone build one for me from a kit. I would be interest in anyones opinion of a quality kit.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:27 PM
couchflyer
My Feedback: (1)

You know a 1/4 scale F6F will be large.
Zirolli has a 1/5 scale that from what I here is a great flying plane.

Here is his link: http://www.ziroli.com/

Plus you can get cockpits, retracts, cowls, etc. from him
Old 08-31-2003, 04:09 PM
warbirdz1

Default Flying "Warbirds".....

Splais......Lots of good things have been said.......I've been intrigued by WWII airplanes most all my life......the "War" the history and the Airmen that flew them.........."Probably" the closet I'll get to flying a "Full Scale" B-25 is my "Ziroli" B-25......I have in my "Squadron" now also a "Z" P-47 a "Z" F4U a T/F Giant P-51 and I am building a "Z" F8F Bearcat.....waiting next is a Don Smith "Connie"......I am an aircraft mechanic and was fortunate to work on many of the post war "Romantic" era aircraft such as DC-3's,DC-4's, DC-6's, DC-7's, "Connies" etc......but my greatest thrill of all is meeting many of the WWII "Veterans" who come out to see all of us fly our Beautiful planes and tell us there stories, their missions and their lives during those 5 years......I wouldn't be flying these planes if it wasn't for our "Veterans".....they stepped up when it counted the most........BTW....at a Fly-In up in Ocala last weekend....had 11 WWII planes in the air @ one time with a B-17....should have heard the roar on a low pass..........it was incredible.........Bill.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	106071_12465.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	59006  
Old 08-31-2003, 11:38 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Default Warbirds

warbirdz1
Finally a multi-engine guy.
Want to never get bored and want a warbird?.....go multi-engines......JUST KIDDING!!! Do not start with a twin warbird. Learn to fly heavy metal, then twin sport planes ( See "less expensive mistakes" in the dictionary!!)
Have three P-38's and Foker F27 used by the Golden Knights.
Twinman