Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Mechanical rotating retracts

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Mechanical rotating retracts

Old 02-07-2012, 11:05 AM
edbu1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanical rotating retracts

Any 60 size (10-12 pounds) mechanical rotating retracts on the market? I've heard of a brand named Black Horse, but can't find anything out about them. Need something sturdy, not the smaller sized retracts. Hobbico is flimsy. I understand that Robart used to make some, but no longer available, except through *bay and swap meets. Anybody have any information on the discontinued Robarts rotating retracts?

Anyone know of any other brands of mechanical rotating retracts in the 10-12 pound size available?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:02 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Mechanical rotating retracts

World Models has them for their 40-60 size P-40 and Corsair @ $25
http://ecsvr.com/abm/ShopDisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes
I had the Corsair for a while,, they worked fine for me

Edit,, these might not be up to par for a 10-12lb plane now that I think about it.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM
edbu1

Probably not suitable. I want to use them in Top Flite P-40 and a Top Flite F4U. I refuse to pay several hundred dollars for retracts, so pneumatics are out and the electric Lado's are out. I'm open to any method of retracts if they can be had for no more than $150. So far, no electrics from Robart and no rotators from E-Flite.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When you are done fiddling with a cheap set of retracts and repairing your model after they fail you may wish you had spent the extra money. Just my .02 cents of course.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Chad Veich

PS - With a bit of searching and patience I bet you could come up with a used set of Robart or Rhom Air rotaters complete with air system for $150. I used the old Rhoms in a TF Corsair and they were solid and reliable. They are old technology but they worked fine for me.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Check with D&B (or DB). I'm not near my shop so I can't give you a URL. They were at Toledo last year.
Walt
Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 PM
edbu1

I hear you, Chad! Unfortunately, pneumatic systems are NOT without fiddling issues. Going with fixed gear is definitely an option!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:21 PM
drube

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

When you are done fiddling with a cheap set of retracts and repairing your model after they fail you may wish you had spent the extra money. Just my .02 cents of course.
Listen to Chad! I refused to give up on my rotating mechanicals and I even got a replacement one from Chad. No more, I give up! My warbirds will fly no more until I can put better retracts in them.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: edbu1
Unfortunately, pneumatic systems are NOT without fiddling issues.
I read similar statements here and on other forums on a regular basis. While I certainly can't deny that pneumatic retracts aren't trouble free I have not experienced the level of problems that would seem to be indicated by all the negative press. In fact, of the dozen or so retract equipped airplanes I've had I can only recall ever having to belly land one of them. I've seen just as many issues with the new crop of electric retracts quite honestly. Not trying to be contrary or argumentative at all, just sharing my experiences.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Walt Thyng

Here's contact info for B&D Enterprises.

B&D (B+D)
ROUTE 81 BOX 7
BALLARD , WV 24918
PHONE: 304-753-4636
Walt
PS I understand Tower carries some of their stuff.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:09 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had several planes with mechinical rotating retracts. BH P-40, VQ P-40 and Hanger 9 Hellcat. Of all these the Hanger 9 were the best, but none held up to relatively smooth grass field. Now the BH and Hanger 9 have Century Jet Air retracts and the VQ, old lado electric retracts. Unless you are a world class pilot who never has a less than perfect landing on a smooth paved runway, up grade the retract. If you can't afford decent retracts, stay with fixed gear.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:28 PM
prop wash

I'd like to find a set of Robart air retracts for my H9 150 P47.I called Robart but they said they don't make them any more.[:'(]
Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35212.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1724481  
Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robart-Pneum...item2a19238c33

You mean like these.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: prop wash

I'd like to find a set of Robart air retracts for my H9 150 P47.I called Robart but they said they don't make them any more.[:'(]
Tom
I think just about any 85 degree retract unit that will support a 15-20 pound airplane could be made to work. I will be putting a set of Robart 631's in mine and I don't expect it to take a huge amount of modifications but I have not actually done it yet.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I used to Hangar 9 mechanical's in my 60 size P-51 for 8 years. The Corsair ones are a pain and there is a thread on here on how to make them work better but it takes 2 retract servos.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

I have a set of the stock retracts on my Hangar 9 Corsair that is at least 2 pounds over the manufacturer's recommended max weight. I have flown this airplane off and on for 5 years from various grass fields and never had a retract failure, or even so much as a hiccup. I did, however, take GREAT CARE to make sure the installation was good, and that the servo throws were enough to move the retract actuating rod from lock to lock. Also, no binding or flexing of the system can be tolerated! Single servo actuation with a JR 791 (has serious poop for a retract servo), and it has no problems. Stock struts.

I am also a gentle lander, and have a rather aft c.g. compared to other Corsair flyers out there- this helps slow down the landings. Gentle, 3-point landings are the norm for this baby, which goes against what most would say about landing a warbird! As as for installing on a TF bird... well, I would probably pass. Look for a good deal in the marketplace or ebay, and go fixed gear until you find some. That's exactly what I am doing with my TF Corsair. I may try Wingspan rotaters later on.

In short, it can be done, but aftermarket retractable gear would be better in your situation! I was just too cheap at the time, but it worked out.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Walt Thyng

Hey revver 165,
can you give a bit more direction on how to find the 2 servo conversion?
Walt
Old 02-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Firepower R/C
Single servo actuation with a JR 791 (has serious poop for a retract servo), and it has no problems.
Yeah, but you can buy the entire air system for less than what one of these brutes cost! I have a brand new one for sale (JR 791 that is) if anybody is looking.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:50 AM
edbu1

Thanks for mentioning Wingspan Retracts. I'd never heard of them. They offer 100 degree rotating electric retracts for $199. Looks good, although their web site states for airplanes 'up to 10 lbs'. Hmmm....
Old 02-08-2012, 11:20 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will pay for good retracts in broken props and belly repairs if you go with the low bidder. Also, the EFlite retracts are not suitable for engine powered aircraft. Fragile limit switches get destroyed quickly by vibration. Believe me, I have a set
Get the best you can afford. The Spring down option is very nice as well.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:15 PM
edbu1

Based on this and other discussion threads, I think I'll go with fixed gear. I love to build warbirds and spend alot of time adding scale details, but sounds like all of the retracts have issues. I refuse to add several hundred dollars to the cost of my project just for retracts, whether they are reliable or not so much. Just not worth the dollars and aggravation, in my opinion.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

retracts = aggrevation... ain't it the truth!!!!

Reliable, rugged, cheap rotating retracts... lemme know when they show up!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:28 PM
rgburrill

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I see that Top flite is recommending the Robarts and the Robarts are 100 degree retracts.  You should look into why before getting something else, especially 85 degree ones.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:33 PM
rgburrill

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

BTW, I see that VQ models has electric retracts for its A-26K Counter Invader which is about that weight.  They are something like eRetracts and were around $150 for the tricycle gear.  While the A-26 doesn't use rotating retracts the company might have some that do.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:34 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

.................. I understand that Robart used to make some, but no longer available, except through *bay and swap meets. Anybody have any information on the discontinued Robarts rotating retracts?........................
Robart used to manufacture mechanical rotating retracts, part number 102 (a set). I have several sets, and used them with great success. They are actually more robust than the 615s, in that they do not use the easily bent "links", or scissors as some refer to them as. On the down side: they are made for 5/32" dia strut wires, BUT: I have modified mine to use the 3/16" diameter struts. It's fairly easy if you have a drill press: just drill tru the plastic trunions.

I used them in my Hangar 9 Hellcat, and they looked and functioned GREAT. I used 1 servo for each retract, thereby eliminating the bellcracks and long linkages, AND they retracted at a slower, more realistic speed.
Based on this and other discussion threads, I think I'll go with fixed gear. I love to build warbirds and spend alot of time adding scale details, but sounds like all of the retracts have issues. I refuse to add several hundred dollars to the cost of my project just for retracts, whether they are reliable or not so much. Just not worth the dollars and aggravation, in my opinion.
A LOT depends on your flying skills: if you are able to land an R/C plane in the manner that full scales land (as in: FLAIR, hold it level, let it settle on runway), you are much less likely to encounter retract problems. Frankly: I hate to see a good warbird with fixed gear (unless it is supposed to be that way).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.