Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CY Models Giant P47 Thunderbolt

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CY Models Giant P47 Thunderbolt

Old 05-07-2020, 07:10 AM
dmyers0403
My Feedback: (48)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have not bought the Z80 take a look at the EME70 with starter from milehighrc. Very sweet & smooth running engine and turns a 24-10 stronger than the Z80. Not as heavy so you may have to add weight but the on board starter and sweetness of this engine will spoil you.
pS: I had a CY P51 which was marketed under a different name. I found out that it was basically a clone of a Ziroli P51 and the same CG and throws worked for me. You may want to compare yours against a Ziroli if you can. I was lucky at a flyin and the guy pitted next to me had a Ziroli so we did a lot of measuring etc. They were the same.

Last edited by dmyers0403; 05-07-2020 at 07:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
goshawk911 (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 09:01 AM
ululi1970

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Z80 came with the plane. I was surprised how easy it is to start, with the spring starter.

The Ziroli P47 seems a bit smaller (92" vs 96" wingspan).
Will set up throws as high rate and low rate and go from there.

Last edited by ululi1970; 05-07-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:52 PM
goshawk911

hi
i had this engine in my Corsair and ran it with a 24x10. I find with warbirds that the bigger the prop the better. If it will spin a 24x10 then go with that. You donít want it over reving as they sound horrible if the prop unloads in the air.
its always a bit of guess work to what flys it best. Glad your all ok over the pond. Itís been a bit crap here with so many people loosing the fight. Stay safe and defo let me know how the maiden goes. I have gone with reduced aileron movement about 18mm up and down. The elevator I have left as the manual but put rates on it with 20% and 35% expo and see how that goes. Donít want it nosing over on landings which P47 have a tendency to do.
👍
Old 05-07-2020, 03:53 PM
ululi1970

Will tach the two props on the ground and go for there. 23x8 does seem small and low pitched. Any suggestion on how these big birds handle in the air? Things to watch out?
Should I mix rudder with aileron? For the most part, I am a bank and yank type of pilot, though I have been trying to use more rudder recently.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:40 PM
goshawk911

Hi
P-47 are normally ok. Watch the yaw on take off as it will want to pull to the left. You will probably need a fair bit of rudder to keep it tracking straight. Let the tail rise and balance it on the elevator, try not to pull up elevator to early. Hopefully it will will rise gently into the air.
once itís in the air they fly like any other. Keep the elevator inputs smooth and you should be fine. Check the flaps in flight but to be honest all the p47 I have had land well with or without flaps. Good luck with it hopefully you will love it
👍
Old 05-08-2020, 01:49 AM
IFLYBVM2
My Feedback: (359)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ululi1970 View Post
I understand that our lockdown rules have not been as aggressive as yours. OTOH, in North Carolina the number of cases is relatively low.
One thing I am still nervous about my P47 is the prop. It came with a Metz 23x8. I have done some research on the Zenoah GT80 and virtually everybody running that engine recommends props with higher pitch and diameter. In fact, most recommend a 24x10. What would be the rationale of going with a prop with lower pitch AND dia?
In my experience, pitch and dia go in opposite way: lower one and increase the other. I found people recommending 23x12 for the GT80. What do you think?
This is my first foray into the world of giant planes. The largest gas warbird I ever flew before was a 20cc P-47, but I know that the prop can make a substantial difference, especially when it comes to landing. If you have any suggestion, thought or comments I am all ears.
24x10 is THE prop for the GT80-
I have 2 of them, and have run this prop for over 10 years now.
Just my 2 cents..
Mike O.
The following users liked this post:
goshawk911 (05-09-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 07:09 PM
ululi1970

I finally had some time today to head to a field with a runway long enough to try it out.
Overall I am quite pleased by it. First take off, I had the elevator on too high rate, and I found myself off the ground too soon.
However, I was able to bring the nose down and gain enough airspeed to complete the climb out. The airframe was very forgiving.
Switched to low rates, and it required a few clicks of
down elevator to trim. In the end, I found that 18 mm on the elevator and 20 mm on the aileron was a good combination.
Flaps required another click of down elevator.
Unfortunately, on landing I must have caught something, since my right gear collapsed (the previous owner had already repaired it). It did some damage that will need to be repaired, and I will take the time to beef it up. If you guys have any suggestions, I am all ears. I was thinking about using carbon fiber strips to reinforce it.

Also, I should have used full flaps rather than half flaps. Live and learn.

Telemetry logs shows a maximum speed ~ 90 kts in level flight. Plenty enough for me. As far as stall speed, I estimate it between 25 and 30 kts. These values
were obtained with an airspeed indicator (pitot tube).
Old 05-16-2020, 06:30 AM
goshawk911

Hi
as restrictions have lifted a little in England we are now able to fly. I managed to get 2 flights in on the P-47 and I have to say itís very nice to fly. I ended up with around 25mm up and down on elevators and around 18mm on ailerons.
the 84cc Radial pulled it around the sky ok.
not unlimited power but plenty to fly it scale.
i to had to put a fair amount of down trim in which would suggest itís a little tail heavy and in my opinion it flew that way to. The only issue with putting more weight upfront will worsen itís tendency to want to nose over.
other than that itís a superb model 👍

Old 05-23-2020, 12:08 PM
ululi1970

Great looking plane Goshawk911. I should have mentioned that I had to reglue the aileron servo supports. The supports were barely tacked together...

Just a heads up.

Last edited by ululi1970; 05-24-2020 at 08:04 AM.