Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
 CY Models Giant P47 Thunderbolt >

CY Models Giant P47 Thunderbolt

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CY Models Giant P47 Thunderbolt

Old 06-20-2023, 10:04 AM
  #76  
My Feedback: (359)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dryverman
Just wondering if anyone else has acquired the 96" P-47 since these last posts. A friend and fellow club member is trying to decide if he should push the button and order one. He's also thinking of the GT 80 for power...thanks...
I purchased one of the 96" P-47 and I am not very happy with it. The hatch was damaged, several parts are missing and there is no manual?
If you find a manual please let me know.
Thank you
Tom
Old 06-21-2023, 12:48 PM
  #77  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: anaheim CA
Posts: 218
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

this is what I was able to find online regarding the manual.
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.bigplanes.nl/bigplanes/CYMODEL/CY8009-P47-rc-scale-model-airplane-warbird-instruction-user-manual.pdf
Old 06-21-2023, 08:13 PM
  #78  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mead, CO
Posts: 1,046
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

What are you guys using for a CG measurement? Jerry
Old 06-22-2023, 08:18 AM
  #79  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mead, CO
Posts: 1,046
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

HighCurrent, how much weight did you end up adding to the nose? I'm looking at 6lbs if I do a CG of 160mm from the root rib. Thanks, Jerry.
Old 06-22-2023, 08:31 AM
  #80  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: anaheim CA
Posts: 218
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

I have around 6 lbs on the firewall and around 1ibs for prop hub and a lot of ball bearing around the cowl ring. I think overall around 8 lbs to achieve 150mm cg. But I have not flown it yet. Hopefully this weekend
Old 06-22-2023, 08:33 AM
  #81  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mead, CO
Posts: 1,046
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by HiCurrent
I have around 6 lbs on the firewall and around 1ibs for prop hub and a lot of ball bearing around the cowl ring. I think overall around 8 lbs to achieve 150mm cg. But I have not flown it yet. Hopefully this weekend
Where did you find a 1lb prop hub?
Old 06-23-2023, 02:10 PM
  #82  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: anaheim CA
Posts: 218
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

The hub is custom made. My friend is a cnc operator and he made it for me. Actually this was made for my comp arf p47. Milled out from aluminum block.
Any one knows how to mount the bombs?
Old 06-23-2023, 02:21 PM
  #83  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 226
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by HiCurrent
I have around 6 lbs on the firewall and around 1ibs for prop hub and a lot of ball bearing around the cowl ring. I think overall around 8 lbs to achieve 150mm cg. But I have not flown it yet. Hopefully this weekend
THat is a lot of weight upfront. I have an older version of the CY P-47. I do not have a retractable tail wheel, and I have a Zenoah GT80 upfront, but I think I have only maybe 10 Oz of lead on the engine.
It is a good flyier. The only weak spot that required some surgery over the years was the landing gear mounting plate. That seems to be a commont problem with ARFs. I just wish they put a little more thought in making
them able to handle the use and abuse that inevitably occurs
Old 06-24-2023, 10:21 AM
  #84  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: anaheim CA
Posts: 218
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

The full fiberglass version added a lot of weight to the tail. The original version may be made out of thin fiberglass, maybe 1 layer of cloth. While the full fiberglass version has at least double that, resulting in a much stronger skin. Also the horizontal tail is also glass. Because of this, you pay the penalty. I would not worry about the weight that much. My toprc zero weights 32 lbs and a little smaller but it flies great and lands easy. This plane weights about 35 lbs but has bigger wings. Also, the weight helps landing in the wind.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:47 AM
  #85  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: anaheim CA
Posts: 218
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

I had a maiden flight last sunday. The plane flew well. I had about a dozen right click on the ailerons and about half that on the down elevator. The ailerons trim may be due to the offset in the misaligned right horizontal stab. After a few laps, my 1lbs spinner nut flew off the engine. I checked the CG in flight again (there is a maneuver to check for CG) and the CG seems to be the same. Apparently the weight didn't do anything due to gyroscopic effect. So, I guess I only need around 7lbs of weight after all. Even with this weight the CG maneuver shows I'm a little bit nose heavy but the landing felt good. I'm going to leave it as is.
After that incident, I had to land to check the prop but it seems to be untouched. I landed with full flaps and the plane settled in really nice and soft. As soon as the wheel touched down, the right 3D printed wheel cover broke into 3 pieces. The spring inside the struts seems to be stiff enough though.
I have my full flaps set around 45 degrees with 10 percent down elevator mix My half flaps has also 10 percent down elevator mix too. This plane seemed to glide quite a bit more than the zero, corsair, FW190 and SeaFury.
The DA85 has a 26x10 prop and the static rpm is a little under 6000. The P47 flew a bit slow, my guess is around 80mph. I would like to have it flies faster. I wish I could put a 120cc in it.

I still don't know how to attach the bomb to the pylon. Anyone knows how?
Old 06-26-2023, 09:21 AM
  #86  
My Feedback: (359)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HiCurrent
I had a maiden flight last sunday. The plane flew well. I had about a dozen right click on the ailerons and about half that on the down elevator. The ailerons trim may be due to the offset in the misaligned right horizontal stab. After a few laps, my 1lbs spinner nut flew off the engine. I checked the CG in flight again (there is a maneuver to check for CG) and the CG seems to be the same. Apparently the weight didn't do anything due to gyroscopic effect. So, I guess I only need around 7lbs of weight after all. Even with this weight the CG maneuver shows I'm a little bit nose heavy but the landing felt good. I'm going to leave it as is.
After that incident, I had to land to check the prop but it seems to be untouched. I landed with full flaps and the plane settled in really nice and soft. As soon as the wheel touched down, the right 3D printed wheel cover broke into 3 pieces. The spring inside the struts seems to be stiff enough though.
I have my full flaps set around 45 degrees with 10 percent down elevator mix My half flaps has also 10 percent down elevator mix too. This plane seemed to glide quite a bit more than the zero, corsair, FW190 and SeaFury.
The DA85 has a 26x10 prop and the static rpm is a little under 6000. The P47 flew a bit slow, my guess is around 80mph. I would like to have it flies faster. I wish I could put a 120cc in it.

I still don't know how to attach the bomb to the pylon. Anyone knows how?
I don't think anyone knows? I asked the owner of Texas Warbirds and she didn't know????
Old 06-26-2023, 09:29 AM
  #87  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mead, CO
Posts: 1,046
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Thankyou for sharing all the details of your flight. I was wondering about the elevator flap mix. Jerry.
Old 06-28-2023, 09:20 PM
  #88  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: anaheim CA
Posts: 218
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

whatever you have for your flaps, mix with 10% down elevator. I did that for mid and full flaps. Just remember that 45 degree gives you max lift, above 45 will become air break.
Adjust your elevator mix on subsequence flights to your liking.

Last edited by HiCurrent; 06-29-2023 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-02-2023, 09:02 PM
  #89  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Just acquired one of these planes (older version/non-glassed wings) and will start my build soon. This is my first large composite plane. Should I add epoxy to all the interior fuse ribs to ensure their strength? What epoxy would everybody suggest, is there a favorite? Anything else I need to do to the unassembled plane before I start putting it together? I'm sure I will have more questions as I move along on the build. Thanks!!
Old 07-05-2023, 05:20 AM
  #90  
My Feedback: (1)
 
lomcevac540T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 640
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I also purchased the all glass version P-47 at Joe Nall this past spring. I have started the assembly process and I am impressed with the quality of this airframe. I have the wing panels pretty much finished except for the bombs and rocket tubes. BTW, someone asked how they attatched to the pylons. There should have been some 4mm bullet connectors with the hardware. You are supposed to glue one side in the bomb and the other in the pylon, then just slip them together. This makes them easy to remove... but they will also fall off during flight. I plan to add a small screw between the bullet connectors to keep that from happening, and still be removable.
Looking forward to getting this one done.
Old 07-07-2023, 11:08 AM
  #91  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: anaheim CA
Posts: 218
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

can you post the picture how you attach the bomb?
Old 07-10-2023, 09:18 AM
  #92  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: anaheim CA
Posts: 218
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

I had a chance last weekend to do another flight to check out the vertical performance. With the DA85, the P47 can go vertical for about 200ft before stalling out (not too high). Landing, this plane glide quite a lot. Next time, I will try around 60 degree flaps to slow it down some more.
The DA85 gives marginal power and not unlimited. To me this is not fun. I have the CY seaFury with a 120cc and it was fun. I would not put anything less than a 85cc engine in this plane, definitely not a saito FG90 radial. The saito power is equivalent to a 55-60cc 2 stroke, will not have enough power to fly this. I can guaranty that you will bite the dust eventually.
I am still having trouble with my landing gears so the whole flight was done with the gears down. May be with the gears up, it would perform a little better. I suggest you get as much throw as you can for the ailerons. Mine is quite slow and I have max throw before binding already.
The DA85 is a shake monster, make sure you locktite everything. Only 2 flights and my muffler came loose, the nose weight came lose and the canopy latch handle fell off. The handle is a threaded rod, make sure you remove it and locktite or you will eventually loose it in flight.
My cowl weights 26.6oz and I have exactly 6lbs of steel blocks mounted on the firewall, so I guess you would need around 7lbs total for nose weight.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:42 AM
  #93  
My Feedback: (359)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HiCurrent
I had a chance last weekend to do another flight to check out the vertical performance. With the DA85, the P47 can go vertical for about 200ft before stalling out (not too high). Landing, this plane glide quite a lot. Next time, I will try around 60 degree flaps to slow it down some more.
The DA85 gives marginal power and not unlimited. To me this is not fun. I have the CY seaFury with a 120cc and it was fun. I would not put anything less than a 85cc engine in this plane, definitely not a saito FG90 radial. The saito power is equivalent to a 55-60cc 2 stroke, will not have enough power to fly this. I can guaranty that you will bite the dust eventually.
I am still having trouble with my landing gears so the whole flight was done with the gears down. May be with the gears up, it would perform a little better. I suggest you get as much throw as you can for the ailerons. Mine is quite slow and I have max throw before binding already.
The DA85 is a shake monster, make sure you locktite everything. Only 2 flights and my muffler came loose, the nose weight came lose and the canopy latch handle fell off. The handle is a threaded rod, make sure you remove it and locktite or you will eventually loose it in flight.
My cowl weights 26.6oz and I have exactly 6lbs of steel blocks mounted on the firewall, so I guess you would need around 7lbs total for nose weight.
I have this airplane and it is not nice, I have already requested replacement parts and have received them. I would like to sell this airplane as I have not started assembling it. A friend of mine said this was a nice airplane so I ordered it. He was wrong, it is a POS. Don't buy this airplane..!!!!
Old 07-10-2023, 01:57 PM
  #94  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: anaheim CA
Posts: 218
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

denney47 you are lucky that you got replacements. i tried to contact TexasRCPlanes and they just ignored me. They said they will take care of me after I described the problems and text them the pictures. After they received them, they won't answer my call and ignored my text.
You are better off with TopRC as they have the exact same scale and it is only a few hundreds more but you will be much happier.
Old 07-10-2023, 05:20 PM
  #95  
My Feedback: (1)
 
lomcevac540T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 640
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by HiCurrent
can you post the picture how you attach the bomb?
I haven't got to that part of my build, but I will post some pics when I do.
Old 07-11-2023, 08:33 AM
  #96  
My Feedback: (359)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HiCurrent
denney47 you are lucky that you got replacements. i tried to contact TexasRCPlanes and they just ignored me. They said they will take care of me after I described the problems and text them the pictures. After they received them, they won't answer my call and ignored my text.
You are better off with TopRC as they have the exact same scale and it is only a few hundreds more but you will be much happier.
Chris and his wife both have full time jobs, this is just a side line job for them, What parts do you need??
Tom
Old 07-11-2023, 09:46 AM
  #97  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: anaheim CA
Posts: 218
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

My right horizontal stab has a 4mm gap due to misalignment of the tail tube sleeve. I would need that and the elevator.
Old 07-11-2023, 09:59 AM
  #98  
My Feedback: (359)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HiCurrent
My right horizontal stab has a 4mm gap due to misalignment of the tail tube sleeve. I would need that and the elevator.
Good luck getting it, this could be such a good company if the could run it?
Old 07-11-2023, 03:42 PM
  #99  
My Feedback: (1)
 
lomcevac540T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 640
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by HiCurrent
can you post the picture how you attach the bomb?
Just glue the 4mm bullet connectors in the holes in the bombs, screw the pylons to the wings, and the bombs have a slip fit into the holes in the pylons. A friend on mine has already done this and he lost a bomb on flight. I plan to add a small screw hole through the bombs to keep them from coming off in flight.



Old 07-11-2023, 03:54 PM
  #100  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: anaheim CA
Posts: 218
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

the friction in the bullet connectors won't be enough to fight the weight of the bomb and the drag force from the air. May be pin and sleeve with a hole in the body so you can put a locking pin through.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.