Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
 CY Models Giant P47 Thunderbolt >

CY Models Giant P47 Thunderbolt

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CY Models Giant P47 Thunderbolt

Old 07-12-2023, 08:57 AM
  #101  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: anaheim CA
Posts: 218
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

how about locking threaded insert, one normal and one left hand. One go on the bomb and the other on the pylon.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:39 AM
  #102  
My Feedback: (1)
 
lomcevac540T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 640
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by HiCurrent
how about locking threaded insert, one normal and one left hand. One go on the bomb and the other on the pylon.
I am planning to use the bullet connectors to locate the bomb, then I am going to drill a hole through the bomb into the pylon and add a blind nut in the pylon. Then I can add a screw to hold the bomb from sliding off. I am sure the bullet connectors have enough strength to keep it aligned and the screw will keep the bullet connectors from backing out.
Old 07-15-2023, 09:13 PM
  #103  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: anaheim CA
Posts: 218
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Had 2 more flights today. Both of the brass bushing sleeving the wheel axel were scored and locked the wheels up. I had to removed the wheels and file the bushing until it is free. Do yourself a favor by either drill out the bushing a little bit bigger or put grease between the bushing and the axel. Hopefully that will prevent the scoring and locks up your wheel. Also bring a small round file with you.
I increased the flaps throw as much as I can before the servos start binding hoping to slow the plane down a bit more for landing. That didn't really help much, at least I didn't see any difference. In order to flare, I need to give some throttle, otherwise it won't flare, this is an indication of nose heavy. I would need to remove some nose weight to move the CG back a little. So, with a DA85, 7 lbs of nose weight is too much. Unfortunately, I have only exactly 2 lbs metal blocks so I can't just trim off 0.5lbs at a time. I would like to move the CG back 0.5inch.
I retracted the gears and noticed that one main gear didn't go up all the way. Luckily I removed the inner doors, otherwise the door servos may just burned up. I don't recommend using the inner doors because of the gears issue. If you use the inner doors, make sure the controller cut out the power to the servos if it binds or you won't be able to get the gears out.
Old 07-17-2023, 04:48 AM
  #104  
My Feedback: (359)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HiCurrent
Had 2 more flights today. Both of the brass bushing sleeving the wheel axel were scored and locked the wheels up. I had to removed the wheels and file the bushing until it is free. Do yourself a favor by either drill out the bushing a little bit bigger or put grease between the bushing and the axel. Hopefully that will prevent the scoring and locks up your wheel. Also bring a small round file with you.
I increased the flaps throw as much as I can before the servos start binding hoping to slow the plane down a bit more for landing. That didn't really help much, at least I didn't see any difference. In order to flare, I need to give some throttle, otherwise it won't flare, this is an indication of nose heavy. I would need to remove some nose weight to move the CG back a little. So, with a DA85, 7 lbs of nose weight is too much. Unfortunately, I have only exactly 2 lbs metal blocks so I can't just trim off 0.5lbs at a time. I would like to move the CG back 0.5inch.
I retracted the gears and noticed that one main gear didn't go up all the way. Luckily I removed the inner doors, otherwise the door servos may just burned up. I don't recommend using the inner doors because of the gears issue. If you use the inner doors, make sure the controller cut out the power to the servos if it binds or you won't be able to get the gears out.
Wow that's a lot of trouble for this airplane, I wish someone would make a good quality warbird, this one is junk.
Old 07-25-2023, 06:59 AM
  #105  
 
*Pipe*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: CalgaryAlberta, CANADA
Posts: 57
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by denney47
I have this airplane and it is not nice, I have already requested replacement parts and have received them. I would like to sell this airplane as I have not started assembling it. A friend of mine said this was a nice airplane so I ordered it. He was wrong, it is a POS. Don't buy this airplane..!!!!
Is this the 96? How much?
Old 07-25-2023, 08:12 AM
  #106  
My Feedback: (359)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Yes this is the all composite latest model, I will take $1500 for the P-47.
Thank you
Tom
Old 10-05-2023, 08:53 AM
  #107  
My Feedback: (16)
 
d boothe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: fairhope , AL
Posts: 115
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by denney47
Yes this is the all composite latest model, I will take $1500 for the P-47.
Thank you
Tom
Hi Tom, did you ever do anything with this model? I was wanting there 96 Mustang but all the negative posts got me thinking otherwise.
I thought these units were getting better not worse.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:18 AM
  #108  
My Feedback: (359)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont bother with this model

Originally Posted by d boothe
Hi Tom, did you ever do anything with this model? I was wanting there 96 Mustang but all the negative posts got me thinking otherwise.
I thought these units were getting better not worse.
I haven't done anything with this model. I still have it and I am not going to assemble it because of the quality of the ARF. I could but I am not willing to fix all the mistakes (problems) that is has. The fit and finish are bad, mostly the fit. I am mostly or almost a perfectionist when it comes to building kits or assembling ARF's as I have been at it for many years. I have replaced this warbird with one from Motion Hobbies so if you or someone would like to have this 96" P-47 I am willing to take a loss on it. I paid $1,725 for it plus $150 shipping and I will take $1,400 and you would need to pick it up or pay shipping.
Thank you
Tom
Old 10-05-2023, 09:54 AM
  #109  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mead, CO
Posts: 1,046
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I will say that mine fit together pretty nicely. There was some minor alignment issues but other than that the wings and tail feathers aligned nicely. The motors on the gear are pretty weak. I called Texas RC that sold me the ARF and they sent me out a couple of new motors. The gear works fine but seems slow if you ask me. The inner and outer gear doors fit well but I've been told they can be fragile as they are 3D printed. The plane is built to accept a DA85. I fly at 6000 feet and I've determined the DA85 is not enough motor for this bird at my altitude. I've been told the TOP RC P47 is a better built model but of course its another $1000. I'm pleased with the CY P47 for the money I spent. I saw several of them flying at Joe Nall and they appeared to fly like any other P47.
Old 10-06-2023, 10:00 AM
  #110  
My Feedback: (359)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jbarnes
I will say that mine fit together pretty nicely. There was some minor alignment issues but other than that the wings and tail feathers aligned nicely. The motors on the gear are pretty weak. I called Texas RC that sold me the ARF and they sent me out a couple of new motors. The gear works fine but seems slow if you ask me. The inner and outer gear doors fit well but I've been told they can be fragile as they are 3D printed. The plane is built to accept a DA85. I fly at 6000 feet and I've determined the DA85 is not enough motor for this bird at my altitude. I've been told the TOP RC P47 is a better built model but of course its another $1000. I'm pleased with the CY P47 for the money I spent. I saw several of them flying at Joe Nall and they appeared to fly like any other P47.
I am happy to hear that you got yours together and did fly it. I have been told that the 85cc is not enough for any altitude so what are you going to use to power your CY P-47? The cowl is not large enough to accept a 111cc or larger twin without cutting the cowl and letting the spark plugs stick out? Also how much nose weight did you need to use to get the CG correct?
Happy flying
Tom
Old 10-06-2023, 09:24 PM
  #111  
My Feedback: (16)
 
d boothe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: fairhope , AL
Posts: 115
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Where is the feedback or representation from the supplier/seller of these units? Am I the only one who calls them out? I have been on FB and forums asking for specifics and feedback on these models, and it’s like crickets. I got a couple of PMs saying how good Chris was with selling the CY models. But all the forums say hold on to your money, the kits are junk. Piss poor alignment and no instructions, retracts fail after few cycles. Some people can’t even figure where to mount the engine. No marks or lines on firewall.
i really want a 96” mustang but scared to shell out 2+ grand for junk. We need some support!
Old 10-07-2023, 07:23 AM
  #112  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 35
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cy Models

I bought the 97" Bearcat, not the P47. My right wing does not align well with the holding peg, will need some work. Also the tail had some MAJOR paint runs on it, along with some pretty bad paint divots on the fuselage. The gear doors are 3 inches to short, have to make all new ones. I messaged Chris at Texas RC (who I bought from) and he asked for some pics of the paint issues. He was responsive the first day or two after I sent the pics. He said he would send them to manufacturer to see if they could/ would do anything. I waited about 2 weeks to hear back from him... no response. I sent around 4 follow up messages to Chris just asking if they responded to him at all... crickets, he never responded. My final message I sent to Chris stating "Chris I have not heard back from you in 2 months. If you or the factory are not going to do anything about it I would prefer you tell me that instead of not responding to my messages." That was in June of this year, I never received a response.
In all honesty if you dont mind doing some mods its not a bad ARD. BUT you will be doing some mods. Retract area needs to be opened up to fit, making gear coverings, pull-pull set up the show in the manual does not work with the new electric retracts, ets. For the money you would think the QC would be better. The non response from Chris was a huge let down as this was my first purchase from him and had been eyeing another bird they carry. I will now pass on it.

Last edited by Slimsi; 10-07-2023 at 07:26 AM. Reason: typring
Old 10-07-2023, 10:35 AM
  #113  
My Feedback: (359)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by d boothe
Where is the feedback or representation from the supplier/seller of these units? Am I the only one who calls them out? I have been on FB and forums asking for specifics and feedback on these models, and its like crickets. I got a couple of PMs saying how good Chris was with selling the CY models. But all the forums say hold on to your money, the kits are junk. Piss poor alignment and no instructions, retracts fail after few cycles. Some people cant even figure where to mount the engine. No marks or lines on firewall.
i really want a 96 mustang but scared to shell out 2+ grand for junk. We need some support!
I was at the National Scale event at the AMA Headquarters in Muncie this year and there were only one 96" CY P-47 there and it was partially together and the owners were raffling it off? I have had my CY P-47 ARF for sale at a much lower price than I paid for it ($1,725 plus $150 shipping) but have not had one reply? Sure I could make it work but I am not going to do many hours of work that should have been done at the factory?
Please save your money and not buy CY models just because of bad fit, bad paint, parts not right, no instructions, etc. Look at Black Horse Models at Motion RC, I have purchased three Black Horse Models since I purchased the P-47 and they are very nice ARF's.
Thanks
Tom
Old 10-07-2023, 10:54 AM
  #114  
My Feedback: (359)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Slimsi
I bought the 97" Bearcat, not the P47. My right wing does not align well with the holding peg, will need some work. Also the tail had some MAJOR paint runs on it, along with some pretty bad paint divots on the fuselage. The gear doors are 3 inches to short, have to make all new ones. I messaged Chris at Texas RC (who I bought from) and he asked for some pics of the paint issues. He was responsive the first day or two after I sent the pics. He said he would send them to manufacturer to see if they could/ would do anything. I waited about 2 weeks to hear back from him... no response. I sent around 4 follow up messages to Chris just asking if they responded to him at all... crickets, he never responded. My final message I sent to Chris stating "Chris I have not heard back from you in 2 months. If you or the factory are not going to do anything about it I would prefer you tell me that instead of not responding to my messages." That was in June of this year, I never received a response.
In all honesty if you dont mind doing some mods its not a bad ARD. BUT you will be doing some mods. Retract area needs to be opened up to fit, making gear coverings, pull-pull set up the show in the manual does not work with the new electric retracts, ets. For the money you would think the QC would be better. The non response from Chris was a huge let down as this was my first purchase from him and had been eyeing another bird they carry. I will now pass on it.
Looks like the Bearcat is the same quality as the P-47? As an RC distributor/importer, the Chinese manufactures do not have any QC people, they let the dealers and customers do the QC and rework. If a customer has a problem it is up to the dealer to take care of the problem not send pictures to the factory and wait for a reply, believe me they will not get it. When we order engines, propellers or the many other products we import, once they send us a invoice and we send the payment via bank transfer they have their money and we have the product what ever condition it is in? Please understand that this is only a part time job/hobby for Chris and his wife, they both have full time jobs and do not depend on these airplanes for their income. I understand you not hearing from Chris, he has your money and you have what you have. Look at Black Horse Models from Motion RC, I have purchased three Black Horse Models since I purchased the CY P-47 and they are great models. The P-47 I have is collecting dust in my warehouse and will never be assembled by me!!
Thank you
Tom
Old 10-07-2023, 11:33 AM
  #115  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 35
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Denney47, you're the owner of Valley View RC right?

You have A LOT of my money too! :-)
Old 10-07-2023, 04:44 PM
  #116  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mead, CO
Posts: 1,046
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by denney47
I am happy to hear that you got yours together and did fly it. I have been told that the 85cc is not enough for any altitude so what are you going to use to power your CY P-47? The cowl is not large enough to accept a 111cc or larger twin without cutting the cowl and letting the spark plugs stick out? Also how much nose weight did you need to use to get the CG correct?
Happy flying
Tom
Hey Denny, I haven't decided yet just what to do. I did see them flying at Nall with the DA85 and they seemed good at sea level. I may very well sell it at Nall next Spring. I can tell you that Chris and his wife had a huge trailer full of ARF's at Nall and he left pretty much empty at the end of the week. Many of those CY models got sold at Nall. All the P47 and P51 were sold within a few days. The Pilot P47 is PNP and was selling for $4800, similar size to the CY. If I really wanted a P47 I'd probably buy the TopRC from Robart with the Robart gear that they offer. You are talking about $4K again without motor or servo's but probably a better quality unit.
A guy in my club has the CARF P47 and the P51 with the Moki radials. You can't get much better quality than that.
I put 6.8 lbs of lead in the nose.
Just buy the CARF P47 if you are looking for fit and finish along with the electron retracts and the moki radial. That will give you the best satisfaction when it comes to quality. If you are the owner of NorthWest RC you can use the cost as a business write off. Can't get much sweeter than that .
Old 10-08-2023, 11:03 AM
  #117  
My Feedback: (359)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valley View RC

Originally Posted by Slimsi
Denney47, you're the owner of Valley View RC right?

You have A LOT of my money too! :-)
I don't have a lot of money but yes I am the owner of Valley View RC
Tom
Old 10-08-2023, 11:34 AM
  #118  
My Feedback: (359)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jbarnes
Hey Denny, I haven't decided yet just what to do. I did see them flying at Nall with the DA85 and they seemed good at sea level. I may very well sell it at Nall next Spring. I can tell you that Chris and his wife had a huge trailer full of ARF's at Nall and he left pretty much empty at the end of the week. Many of those CY models got sold at Nall. All the P47 and P51 were sold within a few days. The Pilot P47 is PNP and was selling for $4800, similar size to the CY. If I really wanted a P47 I'd probably buy the TopRC from Robart with the Robart gear that they offer. You are talking about $4K again without motor or servo's but probably a better quality unit.
A guy in my club has the CARF P47 and the P51 with the Moki radials. You can't get much better quality than that.
I put 6.8 lbs of lead in the nose.
Just buy the CARF P47 if you are looking for fit and finish along with the electron retracts and the moki radial. That will give you the best satisfaction when it comes to quality. If you are the owner of NorthWest RC you can use the cost as a business write off. Can't get much sweeter than that .
I would agree with you if you want something nice the CARF would be the way to go with a gas radial engine. I have a large Pilot 3D airplane and I love it. If Chris and his wife are going to stay in this business I just wish they would do it right. Go to China and work with their supplier, make the airplanes correct so they can compete with other dealers as far as quality goes and the main thing is take care of your customers.
I am not the owner of North West RC, they have merged with Extreme Flight in Atlanta so they are no longer. Tim Hanstine was the owner of North West and now is a co-owner of Extreme Flight.
I am the owner of Valley View RC
Thank you
Tom
Old 12-01-2023, 12:25 PM
  #119  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motion RC Giant scale P47 vs CY P47

Originally Posted by denney47
I would agree with you if you want something nice the CARF would be the way to go with a gas radial engine. I have a large Pilot 3D airplane and I love it. If Chris and his wife are going to stay in this business I just wish they would do it right. Go to China and work with their supplier, make the airplanes correct so they can compete with other dealers as far as quality goes and the main thing is take care of your customers.
I am not the owner of North West RC, they have merged with Extreme Flight in Atlanta so they are no longer. Tim Hanstine was the owner of North West and now is a co-owner of Extreme Flight.
I am the owner of Valley View RC
Thank you
Tom
Hey Tom, First, I love VVRC. You guys always provide what I need fast and affordable. Thanks.

I recently purchased the BH P47. Gorgeous airplane. But on the 4th flight, the firewall behind the engine box vibrated lose. The engine died at a bad altitude and attitude and it went in nose first--trashed the wings, and now I can't get replacements from Motion because of supply chain issues. Has anyone had similar issues with any of the BH warbirds. I'd love the Corsair, but I would seriously reinforce the firewall area if using a gas engine, especially a single-cylinder.
Old 12-01-2023, 12:33 PM
  #120  
My Feedback: (359)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by flyingford
Hey Tom, First, I love VVRC. You guys always provide what I need fast and affordable. Thanks.

I recently purchased the BH P47. Gorgeous airplane. But on the 4th flight, the firewall behind the engine box vibrated lose. The engine died at a bad altitude and attitude and it went in nose first--trashed the wings, and now I can't get replacements from Motion because of supply chain issues. Has anyone had similar issues with any of the BH warbirds. I'd love the Corsair, but I would seriously reinforce the firewall area if using a gas engine, especially a single-cylinder.
I don't know of anyone having a problem with BH models, I have three of them without any problems? I would hope that Motion would be getting parts in soon?
Thank you for being a great customer of VVRC, we try hard.
Thank you
Tom
Old 12-14-2023, 11:23 PM
  #121  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I stripped the covering off my stabs and wing to put better covering on it because the covering plastic was seperating from the paint the paint would stay stuck to the model but the plastic clear part of the covering was peeling away. Cheap assed Chinese made crap covering so I stripped all of it off and went back with monokote..I wanted to glasss it but the wing was already heavy with the electric retracts.
Old 12-15-2023, 01:23 PM
  #122  
My Feedback: (359)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 298
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tbrock21
I stripped the covering off my stabs and wing to put better covering on it because the covering plastic was seperating from the paint the paint would stay stuck to the model but the plastic clear part of the covering was peeling away. Cheap assed Chinese made crap covering so I stripped all of it off and went back with monokote..I wanted to glasss it but the wing was already heavy with the electric retracts.
These CY models are all crap, do you think we should all get together and file a law suite against them??
Old 02-08-2024, 03:20 PM
  #123  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Any pictures of how you guys played out/installed the various equipment (receiver, batteries, etc.) in the fuselage?
Old 02-08-2024, 04:37 PM
  #124  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 35
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Im sill painting mine.... havent got that far yet
Old 04-01-2024, 07:45 PM
  #125  
Member
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bargersville, IN
Posts: 83
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Options , the more the BETTER

I for one am thankful for the offerings by CY models. I have for the past few years wanted to buy a radial engine as I feel they and inline engines are the pinnacle of this great hobby. I am however a tight ***** and/or on a budget and haven't been able to pull the trigger on a radial. WELL..... 6 weeks ago I put 1 in the chamber and squeezed the trigger. I bought a UMS 50cc 7cylinder that I plan on putting in a Phoenix 20cc F-4U Corsair. There have been some issues with the 7-50s not running properly from some owners. I have had none of these so far. You win some , you lose some. Hopefully this doesn't change for me.

After buying the small UMS I decided I needed a something bigger with some more thump to it. I love warbirds , so I start looking for acceptable models at a "reasonable" price. BH Models are interesting , the Corsair , Zero , Focke- Wulf FW190 ,P-47 look pretty good but the radial fit was questionable on some and some have too MUCH weathering. Looking around I see videos of CY Model planes and wonder where I can get one. I eventually ran across a video of a guy in Texas unboxing the 96" p-51 and mentions RC Warbird Models. The prices are somewhat reasonable and the planes come with JP retracts. Now I say somewhat reasonable, if you think $1300 shipped is reasonable but hey Top Flite , Lanier , ESM and CMPro are gone. I LIKE HAVING OPTIONS!!! Especially options of of varying models I.E. LA-7s,Tempasts , Sea Furys , SBD Dauntless , Avengers to name a few.

I bought the 84" LA-7 to fit a 75cc-100cc radial , it cost me $1300 shipped. When the UPS driver pulled up I went to greet him , he positioned the the box ,standing upright at the top of the cab stairs and proceeded to roll the box end over end to the ground. WHAT THE F$%^^@ , I gave him the verbal business and explained that it was a plane and he embarrassingly said he knew. It turned out to be fine but if it wasn't I would NOT have blamed CY or Warbird models. UPS , FEDEX , USPS they're all the same , they don't give a rats ***** what they're throwing around. My UPS guy said if it's broken to submit a claim , that's how they justify it I guess.

Anyway my real point is I don't want to pay CARF Model prices + retracts or TOPRC + retracts. I did the math and didn't like it. CY Models is a good option , I open the box , things looked good LAWSUIT???? YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT LAWSUIT??? If you want champagne get champagne. I'm a beer guy , I'm okay if it needs a little massaging a little sweat equity , my hobby time is free. I've seen success stories with CY Models and I plan on making one of my own. Please don't bash a beer budgeted ARF if you have OCD, and ruin it for the rest of us . ALL MAKES AND MODELS OF EVERYTHING MADE HAS PROBLEMS. Having said that it does sound like the customer service could have been better.


Cheers (beer)
Chris

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.